News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024- Page 42

CONFIRMED: Audra McDonald-led GYPSY to begin previews Nov 2024

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1025Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/19/24 at 4:25pm

Fordham2015 said: "Is the 1/2 person in Lady Day the bandleader or the dog?"

I meant the bandleader, tbh I forgot about the dog.

So that brings it to a 2-character musical ;)

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1026Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/19/24 at 4:54pm

I’m going to do what I do every time a show like this comes along (eg Follies, War Paint, Company etc). Get excited at how good early ticket sales look, claim things are looking just fine, refresh the seating chart daily and defend the show in the grosses week proudly until we hit the approx. 11-12 week mark before there appears to be just too many seats available before show time than there used to, and a week later we see the average ticket price decline and erode a slow death while less and less seats are filled each week, the shine and hype wipe off a little and then become an underdog until perhaps some Tony hype can make it tide over a little longer until it closes and something else of a dream appears, such as a Patti LuPone Hello, Dolly. And then I’m going to do what I always do and and get excited at how good early ticket sales look, claim things are looking just fine, refresh the seating chart daily and defend the show in the grosses week proudly until we hit the approx. 11-12 week mark before there appears to be just too many seats available before sho….

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 9/19/24 at 04:54 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1027Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/19/24 at 4:54pm

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1028Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/19/24 at 5:15pm

New interview with Andy Einhorn (MD/conductor), who is working with Josh Clayton (who restores the scores for Encores) and Jason Buell to restore the original 1959 orchestrations. No mention of Daryl Waters, who today was announced as providing additional orchestrations & arrangements.

I wonder what the difference will be between this restoration and a previous restoration done in 2011 in conjunction with the Styne estate?

Updated On: 9/19/24 at 05:15 PM

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#1029Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/19/24 at 5:51pm

MadsonMelo said: "SouthAmericanCichlids said: "I'm just curious as to why there necessarily has to be a big name outside of Broadway to keep the show afloat. I mean, Merrily sold incredibly well and I think just as many people know Groff as know Audra. Company sold with the biggest name being Lupone. Nowadays, on Broadway do you have to have a massive star to be successful, is good interpretation and good material not enough anymore for a show. (I'm not saying you all don't value these things, but rather this is a gripe with the current economy of Broadway)"

Merrily... Daniel Radcliffe.

Company was not a hit. Sondheim died, which kinda gave them a bump, and the producers carried the show through the Tonys, and even after they won the most, still closed like 5 weeks after.

A revival to be a HIT needs a STAR. Like Jackman, Radcliffe, Groban. It's simple.
"

I had thought Company was a hit. I'm kinda bummed learning otherwise.

Bwaygurl2
#1030Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/19/24 at 6:03pm

joevitus said: "MadsonMelo said: "SouthAmericanCichlids said: "I'm just curious as to why there necessarily has to be a big name outside of Broadway to keep the show afloat. I mean, Merrily sold incredibly well and I think just as many people know Groff as know Audra. Company sold with the biggest name being Lupone. Nowadays, on Broadway do you have to have a massive star to be successful, is good interpretation and good material not enough anymore for a show. (I'm not saying you all don't value these things, but rather this is a gripe with the current economy of Broadway)"

Merrily... Daniel Radcliffe.

Company was not a hit. Sondheim died, which kinda gave them a bump, and the producers carried the show through the Tonys, and even after they won the most, still closed like 5 weeks after.

A revival to be a HIT needs a STAR. Like Jackman, Radcliffe, Groban. It's simple.
"

I had thought Company was a hit. I'm kinda bummed learning otherwise.
"

Cheer up. The tour recently announced recoupment. 

jagman106
#1031Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/19/24 at 7:06pm

Kad said: "Gypsy has never been a smash hit show. Of the 5 productions thus far, none of them have cracked 2 years. LuPone and Lansbury didn’t even last a year, Peters made it just over a year, Daly was a year and a half, and the original production was a couple months shy of 2."

If I recall correctly fifty years later, the Lansbury revival opened as a limited run. I remember seeing it in the fall of 1974 on a high school field trip. The show only ran a few months and closed as intended just after the holidays in January 1975. If the show extended with Lansbury, the show may have reached a year as Lansbury was still likely riding the wave from her Mame days, but we'lll never know.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#1032Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/19/24 at 7:20pm

If Joy Woods is indeed playing Louise, it was kind of an odd flex to say on social media that’s she’s not. Or maybe she was in final callbacks and she didn’t know yet. I can see why Audra probably did it as a “That’s right producers, you better meet my terms” move, but…yeah it seems pretty obvious at this point that Joy Woods and Jordan Tyson are Louise and June - the production might as well announce it already.

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#1033Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
Posted: 9/21/24 at 1:54pm

Kad said: "Gypsy has never been a smash hit show. Of the 5 productions thus far, none of them have cracked 2 years. LuPone and Lansbury didn’t even last a year, Peters made it just over a year, Daly was a year and a half, and the original production was a couple months shy of 2."

The Great Recession happened before Patti could make it to a year, we have to remember that.

Videos