News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23
Posted: 9/19/23 at 1:48pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 9/17/2023 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: PURLIE VICTORIOUS: A NON-CONFEDERATE ROMP THROUGH THE COTTON PATCH (7.5%), THE COTTAGE (7.4%), & JULIET (5.5%), SHUCKED (5%), HERE LIES LOVE (4.9%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (3.7%), A BEAUTIFUL NOISE, THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL (3.2%), BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE MUSICAL (3.1%), CHICAGO (2.6%), SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET (2.3%), KIMBERLY AKIMBO (2.2%), WICKED (2.1%), SOME LIKE IT HOT (2%), HADESTOWN (1.8%), SIX (1.8%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: THE SHARK IS BROKEN (-2.5%), THE LION KING (-1.7%), ALADDIN (-1.1%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-0.6%), MJ THE MUSICAL (-0.2%), HAMILTON (-0.1%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (-0.1%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23
Posted: 9/19/23 at 1:52pm

Nice grosses for Chicago.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23
Posted: 9/19/23 at 1:53pm

That's a big drop for Sweeney Todd money-wise, but it's still a good capacity average. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

ElephantLoveMedley
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23
Posted: 9/19/23 at 1:54pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "That's a big drop for Sweeney Todd money-wise, but it's still a good capacity average."

Josh was out on vacation all of last week, and they also had to refund an entire performance due to the automation breaking. $855k is incredibly impressive to me over only six performances with the lead celebrity out. 

pablitonizer
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23
Posted: 9/19/23 at 1:57pm

Not good numbers overall, and that Sweeney Todd drop! Damn! Was it because of that malfunction Friday show or due to Josh's absence? 

HLL, KA and the shark is broken are definitely struggling 

Updated On: 9/19/23 at 01:57 PM

hearthemsing22
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23
Posted: 9/19/23 at 2:07pm

So happy for Back To The Future! I don't think it's gone below $1M or $900,000 yet. I wonder how long they can keep that up 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23
Posted: 9/19/23 at 2:21pm

Saddens my heart that crap shows like Back to the Future are thriving but the new interesting musicals are all struggling. 

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23
Posted: 9/19/23 at 2:24pm

Poor Here Lies Love

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

Huckster2
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23
Posted: 9/19/23 at 2:29pm

RippedMan said: "Saddens my heart that crap shows like Back to the Future are thriving but the new interesting musicals are all struggling."

Interesting take that you are “sadden” that ANY show “thrives “.  I would think as a fan you would be rooting for the industry a whole.  And maybe is it time to reevaluate your qualifications of a a show being  “crap” or one that is “interesting”.  Maybe fans like ones that are “entertaining”. 

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23
Posted: 9/19/23 at 2:35pm

pablitonizer said: "Not good numbers overall, and that Sweeney Todd drop! Damn! Was it because of that malfunction Friday show or due to Josh's absence? 

"

Kimberly Akimbo is still making money, but barely. It likely won't make it past January, but for that's in line with what you would expect for a run for such a quirky little musical that could.  I am going to assume they announce in October a January closing and try ride out "Last chance to see this year's Tony Winner for best musical." While 14 months is less than the runs for Fun Home and The Band's Visit, which both ran for about 16 months with how the calendar shaped up it still respectable for a musical with no recognizable names, IP, and a concept that's hard to convey through marketing materials.

I do think if it was able to open in the Spring just before Awards season cut off it would of be able to ride it post Tony win to profitability over the summer mimicking Fun Home's run, with the issue being many who would want to buy tickets already did by the time it won the Tony and for a significantly lower price. 

The biggest issue Kimberly Akimbo faced is the ballooning operating costs on Broadway. It still baffles me that the operating costs are more then double that of Next to Normal, which played the Booth a decade ago with only a slightly smaller cast and pit. I'd understand if cost were up maybe 40%, due to inflation and Kimberly Akimbo  being a slightly larger production, but to be up over 100% in a decade is just jaw dropping.

Updated On: 9/19/23 at 02:35 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23
Posted: 9/19/23 at 2:41pm

And maybe is it time to reevaluate your qualifications of a show being  “crap” or one that is “interesting”. 

He loves constantly commenting on shows he has never seen. It's cute. Disregard any opinions from people without actual knowledge of the shows they are currently trashing. 

Here Lies Love needs a boost. A celebrity or a change of schedule or something. 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23
Posted: 9/19/23 at 2:53pm

Sutton Ross said: "Here Lies Love needs a boost. A celebrity or a change of schedule or something."

Agreed. We'll see what Vina Morales can do for them. 

IMO, the ideal schedule for them would be Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday at 7 pm, Friday and Saturday at 5 pm and 9 pm. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23
Posted: 9/19/23 at 3:00pm

Yes! I love me some Titanique and it's so funny, but one of the reasons it's so popular is because of its different curtain times. People want to squeeze in as many shows as possible when they are in NYC and many have done a three show day (and discussed it on here). Here Lies Love is only 90 minutes so it's honestly ideal to see between a matinee and an evening show. One of the worst things they did, in my view, was eliminating a 5pm start time on Sundays as their schedule originally had for the Fall.

If they change the schedule to make it more appealing, then it should see a boost. However, I have no idea if shows can actually do that. 

Updated On: 9/19/23 at 03:00 PM

ElephantLoveMedley
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23
Posted: 9/19/23 at 3:00pm

RippedMan said: "Saddens my heart that crap shows like Back to the Future are thriving but the new interesting musicals are all struggling."

I loathed Back to the Future on almost all levels artistically but I will always commend successful commercial theatre.

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23
Posted: 9/19/23 at 3:25pm

bdn223 said: "pablitonizer said: "Not good numbers overall, and that Sweeney Todd drop! Damn! Was it because of that malfunction Friday show or due to Josh's absence?

"

Kimberly Akimbo is still making money, but barely. It likely won't make it past January, but for that's in line with what you would expect for a run for such a quirky little musical that could.I am going to assume they announce in October a January closing and try ride out "Last chance to see this year's Tony Winner for best musical."While 14 months is less than the runs forFun HomeandThe Band's Visit, which both ran for about 16 months with how the calendar shaped up it still respectable for a musical with no recognizable names, IP, and a concept that's hard to convey through marketing materials.

I do think if it was able to open in the Spring just before Awards season cut off it would of be able to ride it post Tony win to profitability over the summer mimicking Fun Home's run, with the issue being many who would want to buy tickets already did by the time it won the Tony and for a significantly lower price.

The biggest issueKimberly Akimbofaced is the ballooning operating costs on Broadway. It still baffles me that the operating costs are more then double that ofNext to Normal,which played the Booth a decade ago with only a slightly smaller cast and pit. I'd understand if cost were up maybe 40%, due to inflation and Kimberly Akimbobeing a slightly larger production, but to be up over 100% in a decade is just jaw dropping.
"

Let's not forget that productions are incurring big costs due to covid testing and taking on covid management teams. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23
Posted: 9/19/23 at 3:54pm

Sunday also was the end of Broadway week's BOGO ticket deals.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23
Posted: 9/19/23 at 4:06pm

What is Back to the Future’s weekly nut? Perhaps close to a million?

Oh look, a bibu!

hearthemsing22
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23
Posted: 9/19/23 at 4:12pm

Huckster2 said: "RippedMan said: "Saddens my heart that crap shows like Back to the Future are thriving but the new interesting musicals are all struggling."

Interesting take that you are “sadden” that ANY show “thrives “. I would think as a fan you would be rooting for the industry a whole. And maybe is it time to reevaluate your qualifications of a a show being “crap” or one that is “interesting”. Maybe fans like ones that are “entertaining”.
"

Agreed. Why would you root for a show to fail?? You'd be happy if business was bad??

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23
Posted: 9/19/23 at 4:37pm

There's nothing wrong with being dismayed that a fairly weak show like BTTF is succeeding while original, interesting works flounder.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jarethan
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23
Posted: 9/19/23 at 4:40pm

hearthemsing22 said: "So happy for Back To The Future! I don't think it's gone below $1M or $900,000 yet. I wonder how long they can keep that up"

I disagree with your observation emphatically.  I would bet money that the producers are agonizing about the $1.0MM gross.  They are probably barely breaking even every week, this early in their run.  Never going to return any of its investment unless something changes, which becomes more unlikely with the passing weeks.  Between all of last season's new musicals, this and HLL, it must be hard for investors to commit to funding new musicals.  

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23
Posted: 9/19/23 at 4:46pm

Kad said: "There's nothing wrong with being dismayed that a fairly weak show like BTTF is succeeding while original, interesting works flounder."

Thank you. 

hearthemsing22
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23
Posted: 9/19/23 at 5:23pm

ElephantLoveMedley said: "RippedMan said: "Saddens my heart that crap shows like Back to the Future are thriving but the new interesting musicals are all struggling."

I loathedBack to the Futureon almost all levels artistically but I will always commend successful commercial theatre.
"

At least you do-some people on this board apparently don't want to see it succeed. How is reaching $1M bad? What do others expect it to be? Someone business savvy please explain, not someone who just wants to bad mouth the show 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23
Posted: 9/19/23 at 5:40pm

How is Melissa Etheridge not selling out the Circle in the Square theater?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23
Posted: 9/19/23 at 5:49pm

ACL2006 said: "How isMelissa Etheridge not selling out the Circle in the Square theater?"

It’s oddly not being treated as much of an event- I’ve barely seen any advertising and have heard no chatter or buzz. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/17/23
Posted: 9/19/23 at 5:51pm

Bill Snibson said:

“Let's not forget that productions are incurring big costs due to covid testing and taking on covid management teams."

Most shows dropped weekly testing requirements and let go their COVID management teams back in the spring. People only test now if they’re feeling sick.

Videos