News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews- Page 3

CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#50CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews
Posted: 4/14/23 at 7:13am

The show is a boring slog and critics rightfully pointed it out. How anyone could consider this one of their favorite scores is beyond me. It’s lobby music (or, more fittingly, “tea party music” as Green described it).

The reviews (most of them) are dead on.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#51CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews
Posted: 4/14/23 at 8:10am

ColorTheHours048 said: "The show is a boring slog and critics rightfully pointed it out. How anyone could consider this one of their favorite scores is beyond me. It’s lobby music (or, more fittingly, “tea party music” as Green described it).

The reviews (most of them) are dead on.
"

I agree about the score, honestly. My only major interaction with voice actor and writer Mara Wilson in years was a friendly argument over the merits of “Camelot,” which I described as “this isn’t Arthur, it’s My Fair Lady with swords.”

The Venn diagram of “beloved show” and “universally acknowledged to not work” is a small one. Camelot, Merrily, anything else?

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#52CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews
Posted: 4/14/23 at 8:31am

Commercially, beyond a base of subscribers and a June finish, the production required reviews. This doesn't have box office stars, presuming the title as a golden age brand would entice consumers. That remains to be seen

Yet Camelot has always been a vehicle, too. The first national originally had Kathryn Grayson (replaced by Anne Jeffries by the time I saw it in DC). The same year (I was in middle school) I saw it again in stock with Howard Keel. It began with Burton and Andrews, and to my thinking needed a 2023 Burton. Elsewhere I opined that Burnap is more like the smart replacement after a name exits, and I stand by that. He's a wildly gifted actor, but this venue at this time needed star power to match the revisal. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#53CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews
Posted: 4/14/23 at 8:50am

As of yesterday, they're selling tickets through September 3.

Shalfoard
#54CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews
Posted: 4/14/23 at 9:46am

Back in 1980, Frank Rich was much kinder to CAMELOT:  tinyurl.com/mrxvez24

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#55CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews
Posted: 4/14/23 at 10:10am

EDSOSLO858 said: "DTLI Consensus:Fie on Sorkin! A new book only further exposesCamelot’s flaws, beautifully sung as it may be.

7 mixed, 4 negative (including the NYT), 3 positive.

https://didtheylikeit.com/shows/camelot/
"

Or this consensus?

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#56CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews
Posted: 4/14/23 at 10:15am

This made my morning smiley

…now I need a Spamalot revival. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#57CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews
Posted: 4/14/23 at 10:21am

Can’t help but wonder what Tony Kushner would’ve done with this. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#58CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews
Posted: 4/14/23 at 10:25am

Kad said: "Can’t help but wonder what Tony Kushner would’ve done with this."

I wonder what Tony Kushner would do about anything and everything.

WWTKD?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#59CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews
Posted: 4/14/23 at 10:32am

Kush… Peter Morgan… Lucy Prebble from Succession… Mike Leigh… Lee Hall… Lynn Nottage… David Henry Hwang…

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#60CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews
Posted: 4/14/23 at 10:41am

How strange (to me) that this block of reviews seems to echo exactly what everyone here was saying, but the Sweeney Todd were so far away from the consensus.  

Next week I'm seeing both the above shows along with Fat Ham - which also seems to be greatly varied in it's reception.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

babyjunegem
#61CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews
Posted: 4/14/23 at 10:42am

Kad said: "Can’t help but wonder what Tony Kushner would’ve done with this."

Maybe I’m alone on this, but Kushner’s overstuffed WSS script is an apt comparison to Sorkin’s work here. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#62CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews
Posted: 4/14/23 at 10:46am

babyjunegem said: "Kad said: "Can’t help but wonder what Tony Kushner would’ve done with this."

Maybe I’m alone on this, but Kushner’s overstuffed WSS script is an apt comparison to Sorkin’s work here.
"

You’re definitely in the minority given the remake’s wide acclaim. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#63CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews
Posted: 4/14/23 at 10:56am

These reviews are... interesting. I agree with the poster who said that these are the reviews I expected Sweeney to receive. I, personally, found the Camelot revival far to superior to Sweeney in every aspect. That being said, I think Parade will be taking home the Tony for Best Revival of a Musical (and rightfully so).

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#64CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews
Posted: 4/14/23 at 11:10am

As revivals go, I’d say likelihood of winning the Tony is Into the Woods, Sweeney Todd, or Parade. In that order. Camelot would be lucky to get nominated at this point, but I’m in agreement that the nomination for Dancin’ seems more likely at this point.

Sweeney may be a box office juggernaut, and the bigger production, but Into the Woods was perhaps the most universally acclaimed production of the season, not just revival. It was at the top of too many best of lists to count and it’s on a cross country tour, delighting audiences and critics, as we speak.

DCNY
#65CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews
Posted: 4/14/23 at 11:10am

Play Esq. said: "This made my morningsmiley

…now I need a Spamalot revival.
"

Drifting from the thread, but Spamalot is being but on by Kennedy Center’s Broadway Center Stage in May with the usual star studded cast and great orchestra.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#66CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews
Posted: 4/14/23 at 11:24am

dramamama611 said: "How strange (to me) that this block of reviews seems to echo exactly what everyone here was saying, but the Sweeney Todd were so far away from the consensus.

Next week I'm seeing both the above shows along with Fat Ham - which also seems to be greatly varied in it's reception.
"

I think the members of this board are simply far more likely to be more protective of Sweeney Todd than Camelot, leading to stronger criticism. 

SisterGeorge
#67CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews
Posted: 4/14/23 at 11:56am

Kad said: "dramamama611 said: "How strange (to me) that this block of reviews seems to echo exactly what everyone here was saying, but the Sweeney Todd were so far away from the consensus.

"

I think the members of this board are simply far more likely to be more protective of Sweeney Todd than Camelot, leading to stronger criticism.
"

Sweeney Todd is a masterpiece which, when performed half-way decently, comes off like the best musical ever, so when it isn't, it's not surprising that people's reaction range from disappointment to anger. Camelot is pretty universally regarded as a very flawed musical. One can always hope someone can fix it, but going in you know the odds are against it. Also, it is so rarely revived, that even with all the flaws, you're kinda just happy to have finally seen it.

Sister George

JasonC3
#68CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews
Posted: 4/14/23 at 12:00pm

SisterGeorge said: "Sweeney Todd is a masterpiece which, when performed half-way decently, comes off like the best musical ever, so when it isn't, it's not surprising that people's reaction range from disappointment to anger. Camelot is pretty universally regarded as a very flawed musical. One can always hope someone can fix it, but going in you know the odds are against it. Also, it is so rarely revived, that even with all the flaws, you're kinda just happy to have finally seen it."

Well said.  Expectations and preexisting perceptions are almost definitely at play in both cases.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#69CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews
Posted: 4/14/23 at 12:02pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Kush… Peter Morgan… Lucy Prebble from Succession… Mike Leigh… Lee Hall… Lynn Nottage… David Henry Hwang…"

Separate from the above: I was watching the Aaron Sorkin STEVE JOBS movie a few weeks ago after I saw Camelot (my personal favorite Sorkin film script), and wondered what Danny Boyle –– also a theatre man –– could have done with CAMELOT onstage. Loved his FRANKENSTEIN for the National with Jonny Lee Miller & Cumberbatch.

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#70CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews
Posted: 4/14/23 at 12:37pm

SisterGeorge said: "Kad said: "dramamama611 said: "How strange (to me) that this block of reviews seems to echo exactly what everyone here was saying, but the Sweeney Todd were so far away from the consensus.

"

"

Sweeney Todd is a masterpiece which, when performed half-way decently, comes off like the best musical ever, so when it isn't, it's not surprising that people's reaction range from disappointment to anger. Camelot is pretty universally regarded as a very flawed musical. One can always hope someone can fix it, but going in you know the odds are against it. Also, it is so rarely revived, that even with all the flaws, you're kinda just happy to have finally seen it.

"

Couldn’t have said it better myself!

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

Jarethan
#71CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews
Posted: 4/14/23 at 12:52pm

babyjunegem said: "Kad said: "Can’t help but wonder what Tony Kushner would’ve done with this."

"

I thought his script was great.  The creation of Valentina, giving Tony a little more back story, and giving Chino some distinction greatly improved the story for me.  I have never loved any version of WSS until this one.  It got to my gut.  I am hard-pressed to name any other movie musical that I loved as much as this one, and Kushner’s script is a major factor.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#72CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews
Posted: 4/14/23 at 1:36pm

Announcing an extension through the summer (ending September 3rd), on the heels of these, at minimum, tepid reviews - though not entirely suprising - is certainly a choice.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/CAMELOT-to-Release-2023-Broadway-Cast-Recording-New-Block-of-Tickets-on-Sale-Through-Early-September-20230414

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#73CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews
Posted: 4/14/23 at 1:48pm

quizking101 said: "Announcing an extension through the summer (ending September 3rd), on the heels of these, at minimum, tepid reviews - though not entirely suprising - is certainly achoice.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/CAMELOT-to-Release-2023-Broadway-Cast-Recording-New-Block-of-Tickets-on-Sale-Through-Early-September-20230414
"

This doesn't strike me as *too* odd... They probably had an extension built into the plan all along... The absence of a national tour launch is interesting... I remember THE KING AND I announced an extension and tour launch after their opening night (and I think maybe MY FAIR LADY did too?). I would be shocked if this extends beyond September 3, though. I think this will be one of the shorter/shortest golden age revivals at the Beaumont.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#74CAMELOT (2023) - Reviews
Posted: 4/14/23 at 1:53pm

Tickets through September 3 were already on sale yesterday before the reviews came out, so the extension was happening regardless. In retrospect, though, advance ticket sales probably would have been better if they had announced ahead of the opening.

Videos