News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

HERE LIES LOVE Reviews

BETTY22
#25HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 7/21/23 at 7:14am

I loved this show downtown but so much has happened in the last 10 years.

Post Trump, it was no longer fun to clap and dance with dictators. 

This NYT review is so smart. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#26HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 7/21/23 at 10:10am

quizking101 said: "MemorableUserName said: "Three stars from NY Post:

https://nypost.com/2023/07/20/here-lies-love-review-david-byrne-musical-hits-broadway/
"

The fact that Johnny O literally had ANYTHING positive to say about ANY show means that this show is good, because anyone who reads his column can surmise that he pretty much hates everything.
"

He’s a terrible writer and a hack who usually follows whatever right wing culture war talking point is being pushed by Murdoch’s talking heads at the time. Like everything else at the Post, it’s about drawing clicks, not legit journalism or criticism. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

sinister teashop Profile Photo
sinister teashop
#27HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 7/21/23 at 11:19am

Kad said: "quizking101 said: "MemorableUserName said: "Three stars from NY Post:

https://nypost.com/2023/07/20/here-lies-love-review-david-byrne-musical-hits-broadway/
"

The fact that Johnny O literally had ANYTHING positive to say about ANY show means that this show is good, because anyone who reads his column can surmise that he pretty much hates everything.
"

He’s a terrible writer and a hack who usually follows whatever right wing culture war talking point is being pushed by Murdoch’s talking heads at the time. Like everything else at the Post, it’s about drawing clicks, not legit journalism or criticism.
"

The New York Post is important as opposition media in covering local stories that the New York Times and The Daily News tend not to cover because they make Democratic Party office holders look bad or ridiculous. Their headlines can also be works of art. 

But back to HLL, these mixed reviews combined with the enthusiasm of much of the audience looks to me like it might have a chance at a decent run. From what I've heard it doesn't appeal to me but I wish it a decent run and it might just get it. 

Updated On: 7/21/23 at 11:19 AM

Owen22
#28HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 7/21/23 at 3:02pm

sinister teashop said: "The New York Post is important as opposition media in covering local stories that the New York Times and The Daily News tend not to cover because they make Democratic Party office holders look bad or ridiculous. Their headlines can also be works of art.."

Thanks, Felicia.

BETTY22
#29HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 7/21/23 at 4:04pm

So what happens next?

Early weekly grosses haven't been great.

Will these reviews help? They certainly have a lot of quotes, but without NYT can they make it. 

What outlets make a difference anymore. 

JasonC3
#30HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 7/21/23 at 6:07pm

BETTY22 said: "So what happens next?

Will these reviews help? They certainly have a lot of quotes, but without NYT can they make it.

"

No one knows.  Just wait and see.

B212323
#31HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 7/21/23 at 6:15pm

JasonC3 said: "BETTY22 said: "So what happens next?

"

No one knows. Just wait and see.

They got a box office bump when Lea started and she'll probably help for the next few weeks. I looked for tickets this weekend and there were only a few standard tickets available. 

NoItAll
#32HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 7/21/23 at 10:05pm

From the Vulture review:

”Or perhaps that’s the point: our complicity through nonchalance. Awful things happened and keep happening, but they’re “over there.” The horrible truth beneath the coyness and danceable beat of Here Lies Love isn’t so much about the Marcoses as about our vague and distant response to them. It’s like someone having a freakout on the other side of the dance floor: Not My Problem.”

I have no idea what motivated the creators of the show, but I read it as a bitter satire on the American public. They’re not the audience, they’re the show. Don’t miss it.

bear88
#33HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 7/22/23 at 9:40am

I haven’t decided whether to see the musical when I’m in New York City, and it’s not just up to me anyway, but these reviews (even most of the pans and mixed reviews) didn’t make me feel less inclined to see it.

If anything, recent events - including my country’s longstanding support of the Marcos family, even today - have made Here Lies Love sound less like a mindless party than an uncomfortable mirror.

Hey, Zelda! Profile Photo
Hey, Zelda!
#34HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 7/22/23 at 10:20am

NoItAll said: "I have no idea what motivated the creators of the show, but I read it as a bitter satire on the American public. They’re not the audience, they’re the show. Don’t miss it."

To sorta paraphrase James Lapine, it's like looking at Evita and declaring there's a character missing: the audience.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#35HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 7/22/23 at 10:30am

bear88 said: "If anything, recent events - including my country’s longstanding support of the Marcos family, even today - have madeHere Lies Love sound less like a mindless party than an uncomfortable mirror."

I think this comment about the uncomfortable mirror is 100% spot on and insightful. I think it's what the creative team was going for. In my eyes, they succeeded. 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 7/22/23 at 10:30 AM

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#36HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 7/22/23 at 10:42am

BETTY22 said: "So what happens next?

"

Should it fail, it won't be for lack of publicity. In the past week alone, Byrne, the director and the cast members have been giving interviews for their target audience :  "CBS Sunday Morning" (last Sunday); "The View" and a few other shows which I caught on MSNBC. Each interview offered something different , and the snippets from the show were mostly different. I had no interest in this musical until this past week - now it's at the top of my list if I get to NY this summer. (Kudos to whoever booked these interviews this week - you offered interesting guests to be interviewed, and their effort paid off). 

Zeppie2022
#37HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 7/22/23 at 1:27pm

"The fact that Johnny O literally had ANYTHING positive to say about ANY show means that this show is good, because anyone who reads his column can surmise that he pretty much hates everything."

Disagree a bit. Like him or not, he is like most critics and leans into being negative but still is positive about some shows. For example, he loved "Mouin Rouge", "Shucked" and "Into the Woods". He was pretty positive about "Kimberly Akimbo" but really disliked shows like "Some Like It Hot" and "New York New York". Actually, I think from what I have read from him he is fairly balanced.

Updated On: 7/22/23 at 01:27 PM

Zeppie2022
#38HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 7/22/23 at 1:40pm

"He’s a terrible writer and a hack who usually follows whatever right wing culture war talking point is being pushed by Murdoch’s talking heads at the time. Like everything else at the Post, it’s about drawing clicks, not legit journalism or criticism."

Really. As I said in another post, he loved "Moulin Rouge", "Into the Woods" and Shucked" so I would love to know what right-wing culture war talking point he was following with those reviews. His review of "Kimberly Akimbo" was pretty positive also, where is the right-wing culture point with that show review?

You don't think he is a good writer and that is fine, everybody has different opinions. You dislike the NY Post because you think it is tabloid journalism, that can be legit criticism. I just think you trying to tie his Broadway reviews with right-wing culture war is a bit of a stretch.

Updated On: 7/22/23 at 01:40 PM

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#39HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 7/22/23 at 10:01pm

I guess my thoughts on Johnny Oleksinski are: Wow this dude seems like a log cabin republican, why in the world should I care about his opinion?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#40HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 7/22/23 at 10:06pm

I actually read the Post a lot. I like how it’s laid out and I wish they’d bring back a Broadway gossip column. But I know it’s right leaning so take it for what it is. But always good to see what the other side is saying. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#41HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 7/23/23 at 12:33am

David10086 said: "BETTY22 said: "So what happens next?

"

Should it fail, it won't be for lack of publicity. In the past week alone, Byrne, the director and the cast members have been giving interviews for their target audience : "CBS Sunday Morning" (last Sunday); "The View" and a few other shows which I caught on MSNBC. Each interview offered something different , and the snippets from the show were mostly different. I had no interest in this musical until this past week - now it's at the top of my list if I get to NY this summer. (Kudos to whoever booked these interviews this week - you offered interesting guests to be interviewed, and their effort paid off).
"

Press Representative: Boneau / Bryan-Brown

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

MemorableUserName
#42HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 7/24/23 at 9:17pm

AMNY:

Review: ‘Here Lies Love’ finally turns Broadway into an immersive dance club

https://www.amny.com/entertainment/review-here-lies-love-finally-turns-broadway-into-an-immersive-dance-club/

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#43HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 7/24/23 at 9:33pm

There is certainly plenty of ticket availability.  Maybe eventually it will turn into a hit.  But I doubt it. 

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

fisheyelenses
#44HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 7/26/23 at 3:50pm

Possibly of some interest -- a review from the Philippine news site Rappler. This site was founded by Maria Ressa, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in journalism for her work reporting in the politically fraught climate of present day Philippines, so that colors the nuances of this review.

https://www.rappler.com/entertainment/theater/inventing-imelda-review-here-lies-love-broadway/#:~:text=The%20production%20itself%20is%20excellent,tumultuous%20years%20in%20Philippine%20history.

EDIT: and another from a different POV https://www.rappler.com/entertainment/theater/here-lies-love-review-messiness-discord-dance-floor/

Updated On: 7/26/23 at 03:50 PM

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#45HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 7/26/23 at 4:13pm

Thank you for sharing! I really liked Ressa's review!  It was very well written and got to the heart of the issue of the show having it's heart in the right place and getting there by the end, but but having trouble with the journey to get there. 

NoItAll
#46HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 7/26/23 at 7:07pm

fisheyelenses said: "Possibly of some interest -- a review from the Philippine news site Rappler. This site was founded by Maria Ressa, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in journalism for her work reporting in the politically fraught climate of present day Philippines, so that colors the nuances of this review.

https://www.rappler.com/entertainment/theater/inventing-imelda-review-here-lies-love-broadway/#:~:text=The%20production%20itself%20is%20excellent,tumultuous%20years%20in%20Philippine%20history.

EDIT: and another from a different POVhttps://www.rappler.com/entertainment/theater/here-lies-love-review-messiness-discord-dance-floor/
"

There is no fundamentally “different POV” that I could detect. I would argue that critical analyses of the two reviews would find that they agree there is a moral rot at the heart of HLL, and if it has any purpose, it’s to extract as much money as possible from an American audience, as per usual ignorant of and ultimately indifferent to the sufferings of people far, far away, and to any role their own country has played. (There was a time when the economies of independent South Korea and the Philippines were on an equal footing. Are former colonies of Japan better situated for progress than those of the U.S.?)

The sooner this show closes the better. Whatever positive message the creators may have hoped to impart appears to be sailing over the heads of a Broadway audience out for a night’s entertainment. (So, what else is new?)

Updated On: 7/26/23 at 07:07 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#47HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 7/26/23 at 7:17pm

The sooner this show closes the better. 

For whom? If you don't care for it just walk on by. 

NoItAll
#48HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 7/26/23 at 8:35pm

Sutton Ross said: "The sooner this show closes the better.

For whom? If you don't care for it just walk on by.

For whom? For filipinos. Maybe the next time an American President voices support for a Philippines President undertaking a murderous drug war against the poorest of his people, no one will think they have done their part in protesting by having attended a joyous disco dance wrist slap of evil. (And what more can be said about the idiots who applauded the faux-feminist declaration of a full-time collaborator in torture, murder and the wholesale pillaging of their peoples’ wealth?) Kyrie eleison.

Updated On: 7/26/23 at 08:35 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#49HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 7/26/23 at 8:48pm

Huh. Pretty sure they can decide for themselves if they want to see a show. And, if you respect them so much the least you can do is use proper capitalization. Filipinos. 

Fixed it for ya. 

You don't get to decide things for other people. Tons of people are employed by this production so take your misery elsewhere, it's not welcome here. 

Updated On: 7/26/23 at 08:48 PM

Videos