News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Hamilton Previews

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#225Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 7:03pm

"Any merchandise? "

Look on Lin's twitter

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!
Updated On: 7/14/15 at 07:03 PM

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#226Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 7:08pm

Here's the picture from LMM's Twitter.

Lots 'o stuff!

Available online too, beginning next week.

eaticecream
#227Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 7:11pm

So this is not just a show but a landmark production

actorsnonactors Profile Photo
actorsnonactors
#228Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 7:23pm

I'm gonna agree with the folks that are encouraging a return to the discussion. I have been reading these posts for years. I am finally at a point where I was like "Oh, hey, yeah...let me stop lurking and pipe up every now and again. 

I'm astounded (read as: not remotely astounded) that one of the first things I have to post here, like any other message board is this:

Stop feeding the troll, and it will go back under its bridge. Ignore its posts, and go for content, rather than "educating" people who have no desire to have what you're giving. 

BTW, glad to finally meet all of you. Ish. I enjoy the posts...when they're on-topic.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#229Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 7:59pm

actorsonactors,

I am an optimist, and (unlike some here) I genuinely enjoy young people who are interested in the theatre. I think it is important to nurture an understanding. 

But by stepping forward you have persuaded me we are all on a fool's errand with this latest crop. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm shutting down my chow line. If anyone wants to have an intelligent discussion, bring it on. Agree with me, or disagree heatedly, but if you insult my intelligence, or disrespect the very art form in which you are seemingly interested, you're on your own.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#230Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 7:59pm

Has the design changed at all from off-Broadway? 

Golenboybway
#231Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 8:17pm

What is the "whores" name in the show?

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#232Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 8:58pm

"Has the design changed at all from off-Broadway? "

Other than the fact that the set is twice the size, no. 

Golenboybway- Maria Reynolds. (Pronounced Mariah)

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#233Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 9:03pm

"Stop feeding the troll, and it will go back under its bridge. Ignore its posts, and go for content, rather than "educating" people who have no desire to have what you're giving."

" I enjoy the posts...when they're on-topic."

umm i am not a "troll." I am just here to have conversations about theatre.

My posts weren't even really off topic. And all of the threads are somewhat off topic. Who cares as long as we are talking about theatre.

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Liza's Headband
#234Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 9:17pm

Hamilton Previews

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#235Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 9:52pm

The "whore's" name is actually Rachel, Alexander's mother.

bilingual Profile Photo
bilingual
#236Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 10:02pm

"Maria Reynolds. (Pronounced Mariah)"

Last time I checked, Maria was pronounced Maria and Mariah was pronounced Mariah.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#237Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 10:25pm

So looks like they're gradually working up to an 8x schedule? 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#238Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 10:45pm

""Maria Reynolds. (Pronounced Mariah)"
Last time I checked, Maria was pronounced Maria and Mariah was pronounced Mariah."

muh-RAI-uh is an accepted pronunciation of Maria, particularly in the time Maria Reynolds lived.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

shanphelia Profile Photo
shanphelia
#239Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 10:51pm

I was there last night, and thought the show was fantastic. I never managed to get a ticket to the Public run, so I went in with high expectations but little familiarity with the music -- and was swept away by the variety of styles and genres represented! 

The performers were all strong, but three standouts for me were Leslie Odom, Jr, who was masterfully sympathetic 'villain' in Burr, and whose "Room where it happened" was an actual showstopper in Act 2; Daveed Diggs, who gave life to two very distinct and enjoyable characters in Lafayette and Jefferson; and Philippa Soo (who I had loved in Great Comet of 1812), who gave ever stronger life to Eliza Hamilton as she matured and who was the one who brought me to tears at the end. 

Overall, only slight quibbles: I thought that the second act was a bit tighter than first, and the family/love storyline was sometimes not smoothly integrated into the political storyline (one of the characters even asks, by way of transition, "can we get back to politics now?", and the audience agreed). 

Great atmosphere of support and excitement for Lin-Manuel & the show last night; really was so glad I got to experience it!

Updated On: 7/14/15 at 10:51 PM

SamHoffman523
#240Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 11:01pm

Leslie Odom Jr. is giving a historic performance in this show. One of the best performances I've ever seen. Everyone else is also well above and beyond. The acting is just out of this world.

Scoobs2 Profile Photo
Scoobs2
#241Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 11:11pm

So who are you guys predicting will get tony nominations for their performances?

forgetregret
#242Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 11:16pm

Jefferson's line "Can we get back to politics?" follows a particularly emotional song. I saw the line (and the audience's "agreement") as a sort of amusing acknowledgement that the song was very sad and something lighter is up next. Madison even sniffles at that point, showing that he and Jefferson are aware, within the show, of what just happened. Just my two cents. 

As far as nominated performers, at this point I would predict Lin, Leslie, Phillipa, Renee, and Daveed. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#243Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 11:23pm

To me the most telling thing is everyone claiming this is a history-making show and how it's redefining this or that (which I agree with), and Lin simply posts on Twitter: "They'll tell the story of tonight. I'm drinking throat coat n making changes for tomorrow."

I just love that he's still pushing and pushing himself to make it even better, because ultimately it's just a show in previews that still isn't frozen.

I was hoping to read some more from people who went to previews. I should know better, and check in less often, heh.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#244Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 11:33pm

Daveed Diggs and Renee Elise Goldsberry will both be formidable contenders for the Featured categories, both having picked up major awards and nominations for their performances off-Broadway and both being extremely memorable and given material to show themselves off very well.

There's no question Miranda will be eligible for Best Actor and likely win a nomination.

The placement of Leslie Odom, Jr. and Phillipa Soo, I'd say is in question for now; they could feasibly be put into either Featured or Leading categories depending on the Tony nomination committee's decision (unless they're billed above the title, which they are not, I believe?). I would personally consider both leads, but who can say? Odom was Lead to the Lortels but Featured to the Drama Desks.

If the nominators are particularly Hamilton-happy, you could see Jonathan Groff (who is the biggest "name" in the show) acknowledged for his small, but very funny and memorable, role, or Christopher Jackson. 

But I'd be really surprised if we don't see the quintet of Diggs, Goldsberry, Odom, Soo, and Miranda all nominated. They are just that good.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 7/14/15 at 11:33 PM

ChiTheaterFan
#245Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 11:36pm

"So who are you guys predicting will get tony nominations for their performances?"

A related question: who do you think will be eligible in the lead vs. featured categories?

My rookie understanding based solely on what I've read on this site is performers billed above title are generally considered lead, while below title are considered featured, but the producers can petition to change that. (I invite those with more knowledge to correct me if this is mistaken.). My understanding (which again could be wrong) is no one for this show is billed above title. 

Lin and Phillippa seem to be givens in the lead category. But what about Leslie Odom Jr.?  He seems like he could fall into that category as well, but would the producers likely make that choice if it is, indeed, partly up to them?  (I just checked Wikipedia and noticed he was nominated in the lead category for a Lucille Lortel award but featured for a drama desk award. I know nothing about the criteria for those...). 

At any rate to me the place to recognize Lin-Manuel Miranda is his epic creative work. From an acting standpoint he is good, but I felt Leslie Odom Jr. gave the most moving performance of the entire cast, and several other performances were better to me than Miranda's... Which again is not to diminish him since he's the whole reason those great performances are there to begin with. It's hard to say who will be nominated without knowing the rest of the field, but damn if Odom Jr. isn't nominated in whatever category he's eligible I will be shocked. Interestingly, though, when I saw this at the public with 4 friends all of us picked a different actor/actress as our favorite performance. who knows what the Tony nominators will say!

(edit: didn't see Kad's post until after writing this so sorry for the similar topic.) 

Updated On: 7/14/15 at 11:36 PM

Showface
#246Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 11:39pm

I hope Leslie Odom Jr is recognized--he's crazy talented! Updated On: 7/14/15 at 11:39 PM

shanphelia Profile Photo
shanphelia
#247Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 11:42pm

"Jefferson's line "Can we get back to politics?" follows a particularly emotional song. I saw the line (and the audience's "agreement") as a sort of amusing acknowledgement that the song was very sad and something lighter is up next. Madison even sniffles at that point, showing that he and Jefferson are aware, within the show, of what just happened. Just my two cents. 
As far as nominated performers, at this point I would predict Lin, Leslie, Phillipa, Renee, and Daveed. "

Oh, good point -- I didn't catch that Madison had sniffled, too, so missed reading that as (meta)commentary of their awareness! I'm sure there are a lot of bits and pieces I missed. So much to take in! 

ChiTheaterFan
#248Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 11:42pm

"I hope Leslie Odom Jr is recognized--he's crazy talented!"

I agree!!!  Literally tears streaming down my face during Wait for It. He has such a beautiful voice.  I never thought I'd find myself so heartbroken for Aaron Burr!

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#249Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 11:56pm

"The "whore's" name is actually Rachel, Alexander's mother."

Didn't even think of that! His mother's name is never actually mentioned in the oshow, so I assumed they meant Reynolds (James Reynolds refers to her as "my whore wife" at least once that I can think of). 

I would assume Miranda and Odom will both be considered leading. Daveed Diggs will be featured (and I would LOVE to see him win). As for the women, I would think Philippa Soo would be leading, and Renee Goldsberry would be featured, but that could really go either way. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

Videos