News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Hamilton Previews

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#275Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 4:28pm

^^^ That's one of my favorite songs in the whole show!

Updated On: 7/19/15 at 04:28 PM

broadwayboy223
#276Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 11:45pm

Anyone know when the cast album is coming out?

neonlightsxo
#277Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/17/15 at 9:27am

^ They haven't recorded it yet, but Lin has been saying September.

HGorn Profile Photo
HGorn
#278Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/17/15 at 9:58am

I enjoyed the show.  Am I running to friends telling them that they MUST see it?  My answer would be no.  In some of the songs it was hard to understand a lot what was being said.  I'm a 52 year old man with good hearing but some of the fast rapping was unintelligible.  And I can tell that a few older people (in early to mid 70's) around me were having the same issue.  But overall it was an enjoyable night.  Lin-Manuel is great, as well Leslie Odom that plays Aaron Burr.  Jonathan Groff (with a very small role) is hysterical.  The rest of the cast is good as well.  Truth is when I saw Jersey Boys I walked out and called friends and said "you must see this it's great!"  I did the same with The Producers (with Lane and Broderick), The Lion King, original cast of Rent (which I originally saw at the NY Theatre Workshop and then at the Nederlander), and well you get the idea.  It's puzzling that they already sold $27 million in tickets.  Maybe a lot of the scalpers bought them???  Who knows.  I'm not bashing the show by any means but like I said - I enjoyed it but did not love it.

Updated On: 7/17/15 at 09:58 AM

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#279Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/17/15 at 3:32pm

I went last night and thought this mostly lived up to the hype. The whole cast was uniformly great. Leslie Odem has the role of a lifetime on his hands and does a bang up job.

By intermission my guest and I were blown away. The second act, however, could use some work. When they started addressing issues related to Hamilton's personal life we were fairly bored. I think some of those songs could be cut or trimmed. Eliza's song where she burned the letters could've been summed up in a single verse. Still, this was way more exciting then most of the recent Broadway musicals I've seen.

It's interesting to read what Horn said about older audience members. I sat next to a woman who was at least 80 and she was very engaged and nodding along and responding to what was said - she caught all of it.

I sat in the very last row of the balcony (rear mezz) and the view was great. I think I was able to appreciate the choreography and lighting design more from that perspective. Also, no audio issues although I wish the whole thing was louder in general (remember how loud Rent and Tommy were?).

I'm glad we have a show like this and Fun Home on Broadway right now. I would highly recommend this to friends and cannot wait for the album.

(P.S. Jon Groff has a pretty thankless role. I'm surprised it's not handled by an ensemble member.)

paphillyguy
#280Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/17/15 at 4:01pm

Hgorn - when I saw it at the Public, I did run out a tell people that they must see this show. I hope that it didn't lose some of that magic in the transfer. Or perhaps we just have different tastes. Either way, I don't think it will matter much. With $27 million in sales it seems destined to be a hit.

holdyourbatboy
#281Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/17/15 at 4:14pm

Seating question -- I'm in Orch Row T, extreme side (last 2 seats on side). Nervous about the view - both bc of the overhang and the side... Anyone sat in similar seats yet?  Thanks! 

JustBe23
#282Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/17/15 at 4:18pm

I took my father to see it at the Public and he didn't miss a word - dude's in his late sixties and his hearing is failing. He also loved it.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#283Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/17/15 at 5:36pm

I was in the front row, in my 30s, and did a bit of lip-reading at first, but after the first few minutes, it was mostly fine.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#284Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/17/15 at 6:03pm

"Seating question -- I'm in Orch Row T, extreme side (last 2 seats on side). Nervous about the view - both bc of the overhang and the side... Anyone sat in similar seats yet?  Thanks! "

I was on the side in Row V, but more towards the center of the section. The overhang didn't bother me. You might have a little issue with the sides but most of the action is towards the center so you won't miss much.

bfreak
#285Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/17/15 at 6:25pm

Was any of the action in the show obstructed in Row V?

rjm516
#286Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/17/15 at 6:46pm

Anyone try the lotto tonight? I am more excited to see the nightly lotto videos than anything else! 

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#287Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/17/15 at 7:01pm

Looking for a ticket to Saturday the 25th's 2pm matinee. Will pay face value. PM me please!!!

#288Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/17/15 at 11:14pm

Lotto tonight was bedlam, made worse by the crowd control barriers already up along the curb on both sides of the street (Obama is seeing the Sat matinee).  I'd say 400 people tonight vying for 21 front row seats ($10) and 6 standing room slots ($40). At 5:55 LMM and two other cast members came out the stage door and entertained us with a rap duel between Thomas Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton over the national bank and whiskey taxes. Then 6pm and we lost the lotto.

nicnyc Profile Photo
nicnyc
#289Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/18/15 at 3:18am

Like macnyc, Jefferson's "What'd I Miss" at the top of Act II is one of my favorite numbers - and Daveed Digs tears up the stage with it!

nicnyc Profile Photo
nicnyc
#290Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/18/15 at 3:21am

As far as the cast recording, it's available for pre-order at the theater and the merch guys are saying it will likely ship in October as Lin is still making changes and they will not begin recording it until the show is frozen.

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#291Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/18/15 at 2:21pm

Saw the show again after miraculously winning the lottery. I've gotta say that I didn't think it was possible but the show has gotten better. The entire cast seems a lot more comfortable in their roles and having a blast on stage. I guess it's been awhile since I've seen a cast starting performances of a hit show rather than the string of flops that's been happening lately.

Of course there are slight changes that people have dissected before but I did want to talk about some of the more major ones. I didn't have a problem with the change of "One Last Time" lyrics but I didn't like the change of staging. Having Washington climb the stairs then turning them around to reveal King George was great. Now that he just walks out is funny but not as impactful. Cutting the "Dear Theodosia (Reprise)" was the biggest misstep for me because I think it gives you another reason to feel bad for Burr.

The ensemble work is much better now and I think it's because they don't seem as packed in. The additional members aren't always onstage and I was disappointed to see that Neil Haskell is just a swing because I was very much looking forward to see his hotness. Maybe Jonathan didn't want to have anyone distract from him. My one issue with the ensemble at the Public was the blonde girl who I still really dislike but thankfully now you notice her less.

The crowd response during the show seemed a little tepid to me in the front orchestra because it was full of older people who I don't think could hear the jokes in the raps or understand the references. I could hear the whispers of laughter coming from the rear of the theatre. The Showtime joke fell on deaf ears and I think it's one of the highlights. Of course during intermission and after the show everyone is praising the sh!t out of the show (and rightfully so).

I've honestly been very grateful to see the show develop and if I had to change anything it would be to give more to the Schuyler sisters more material only because I find them flawless. People have commented about wanting the ending changed but I think that's ridiculous. Not everything has to end with a huge finale and I love that Eliza inserted herself back into the narrative. This is one of my favorite things to ever experience and thanks to everyone involved.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#292Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/18/15 at 6:33pm

I saw the show last night and happily, it's just as good as it was at The Public.

I'd guess that 10-15% of the show has changed. Lines in some songs are different here and there, with One Last Time being the biggest change. However, the change in the focus of the song works. I enjoyed it more as One Last Ride, but this is still good.

There's nothing in the show I can say is bad. The cast is out there giving 100% and leaving nothing out. Staging, lighting, and choreography are very similar to what was at The Public, but just bigger. Think of the original, stretch it to fit the Rodgers, and you have it. 

My appreciation of Daveed Diggs continues to grow. His Lafayette and Jefferson are just perfect, especially Jefferson. As others have said, "What'd I Miss?" is one of the biggest highlights of the show. Jefferson is funny without being an outright clown. As other shows open this season, there's no doubt we'll see excellent performances, but his is one that I think will be recognized 9, 10 months from now.

Renee Elise Goldsberry. Just wow. What a voice. She makes you care about Angelica Schuyler and the relationship she had with Hamilton. I've spent more then a minute or two of my time just thinking about what the relationship between the two must have been like in real life and a long series of what ifs.

The show feels very balanced to me and I think that helps it be so successful.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#293Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/18/15 at 7:57pm

@clyde re the ending...

If you've read the book, it starts with Eliza's "afterlife" as a prologue and as such sets the tone for this branch of the story. It seems clear that, dramaturgically, the show could not start with this, and there is really nowhere else to put it until its chronological place at the end. It also seems clear to me that, as Chernow did, Miranda would want to pay homage to Eliza's role in relation to Hamilton's legacy. Hence, its placement as an epilogue seems right to me, and I agree with what you say about this (and most everything else). 

Okiekat Profile Photo
Okiekat
#294Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/19/15 at 8:52am

I saw Hamilton this weekend after seeing it four times at The Public.  I was really nervous the show would lose a lot in the transfer.  But it has not.  It is somehow better.  ClydeBarrow, I agree about "One Last Time".  I prefer the stair reveal to King George.  However, I think this staging is more dramatic for George Washington and Chris Jackson is excellent.  

The entire cast has improved.  Leslie Odom gets better and better with that stunning showstopper.  There are so many high points.  Daveed, Renee, Phillipa.  For me, it's perfect casting.  Having seen Brian as the King, I worried I would not like Jonathan but his take on King George is still very enjoyable.

Not sure I've ever seen a show with ensemble work this thrilling.  They're working their butts off and play a significant part in the storytelling.  The movement is mesmerizing.  I have missed a lyric or facial expression because I'm watching the dancers.  In addition to Lin's outstanding book, music, lyrics.. Andy Blakenbuehler's choreography is amazing.

I listened to what people were saying during intermission and after the show and I still heard young and older theatergoers say things like "unbelievable" and "I've never seen anything like it".

I'll see it again, hopefully with Javier.

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#295Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/19/15 at 9:34am

I too saw the show at The Public and was worried about the transfer, however I saw it last night from seat E20 - 3 seats from the right side and there were some minor things missed, but all in all a very good seat.  I bought the ticket on a whim because I needed to see the show sooner than the October ticket I have in front center mezz.

The show is just thrilling.  I agree about the ensemble dancers - my eyes kept going towards them rather than the primary actors on stage.  I need to look up their names, but there is a male & female dancer that just pulls my focus.  The woman has the dramatic blond haircut and the male dancer has the most angelic model-face I've ever seen.  I could barely take my eyes off either of them.

That and that fact that the choreography is just so inventive for this type of narrative. 

I bet I find my way back to Hamilton before October.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#296Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/19/15 at 11:05am

I also saw the show last evening after seeing it twice at the Public, and loved it again, especially Act. 1. I have a few minor quibbles about some of the changes.

But first: seating. I was very happy with our seats in Row Q of the side orchestra. I was surprised that the stage seemed to be very close. The overhang did not block our view at all, at least in Row Q. I was in the third seat from the far side and had a wonderful view. The two people seated next to me also said they could see fine (they were on the end). Row Q is in the area that has the stadium seating, so we had no difficulty seeing over the heads of the people in front of us. I highly recommend these seats if you can't spend any more than regular price. But yes, leg room is lacking, definitely. 

One change that I did like: the "rewind" that takes place before "Satified." It makes it very clear that we are going back in time as Angelica relives the scene when she and Hamilton met, including introducing Eliza to him, and the subsequent marriage. I didn't think it was unclear before, but evidetly someone did.

But some of the changes didn't serve the show. In My Shot, which is one of my favorite songs, I noticed a lyric change that disappointed me. Toward the end, Anthony Ramos sings something like, "Don't this s--t make my people wanna rise up." He sings it a couple of times, getting louder each time, until it's a powerful call to arms. Could this have been the sample of a rap song that the production didn't want to pay for? If so, I can understand it, but other than that it's a bad change. The new lyrics are something like, "When you're living on your knees, rise up." And something about "your sister." I would love to see the original lyrics restored, as that's one of my favorite passages in the whole play. 

Something else I missed: The Whiskey Rebellion. Yes, it sounds dumb, but I loved that scene. It echoes Right-Hand Man, with "Here comes the President, rise up!" "You are outgunned, outmanned…" And I like how the two men, so recently rebels themselves, now have to put down a rebellion. Ironic, isn't it? And the scene shows the growing pains of the fragile young nation. Also, as an aside, Hamilton admonishes the rebels, "Pay your taxes!" and it made me crack up. So I missed this scene, and the number that replaced it didn't seem much shorter, so I don't think any time was saved.

As others have commented, I also missed the staging with George Washington up on the staircase. At the Public, it was very moving and inspiring to see him up there. Having Christopher Jackson just in the front center of the stage didn't do it for me.

And although Groff is wonderful as the king and very funny (and a crowd favorite!) I did prefer Brian d'Arcy James's take on the role. His voice is so magnificent and he uses it so well. I thought he brought some more gravitas to the role, which comically played up the song and the silliness of the nonsense lyrics ("Dah dah dah dah dah...")

But the show is in wonderful shape on the larger stage, with the amped-up choreography. Outstanding performances all around. Best wishes to Lin-Manuel for a wonderful opening and a long and successful run! 

Updated On: 7/19/15 at 11:05 AM

Jamie Pierce Profile Photo
Jamie Pierce
#297Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/19/15 at 11:38am

I know I'm blinded by love but for me Groff is the best thing about the show. I've seen it 3 times now (it's been a busy week!) and there's just something electric about him. The rest of the show I adore as well and this is far from an objective opinion. But his subtlety and nuance is just so captivating. It's also a different color on him. He always plays so sweet and earnest, I loved seeing him as a total bitch while displaying excellent comedic skills. It really makes me want to see him do Hedwig now, which I considered him totally wrong for before. 

Hamilton gets better with each viewing. The first time I saw it, I felt neutral. But once I left the theatre, I couldn't get it out of my mind and felt compelled to return. It's hard to put your finger on what makes this show so special - but it really casts a spell. I'm particularly impressed with the seamlessness of the entire production: music, storytelling, staging, choreography (such a first rate ensemble), lighting, design - all of the elements just integrate perfectly. So much creativity on display and so many never-before-seen (at least for me) moments in the musical theatre. I find it just impressively innovative. 

Okiekat Profile Photo
Okiekat
#298Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/19/15 at 11:54am

macnyc, thanks for the reminder about the "Rise up" lyrics.  You're right, it was a little more powerful at The Public and Anthony Ramos delivered.  Also forgot about the "pay your taxes!" line which was amusing.  I wondered about the overhang.  Good to know it's not obstructing the view.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#299Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/19/15 at 4:42pm

The show is just thrilling.  I agree about the ensemble dancers - my eyes kept going towards them rather than the primary actors on stage.  I need to look up their names, but there is a male & female dancer that just pulls my focus.  The woman has the dramatic blond haircut and the male dancer has the most angelic model-face I've ever seen.  I could barely take my eyes off either of them.
That and that fact that the choreography is just so inventive for this type of narrative. 

The female ensemble member with dramatic blonde hair is Betsy Struxness, who is such a good dancer, it's ridiculous. As for the male...not sure. I'd need a few more details. What's amazing about this ensemble is that it's a mix skillful singers who are keeping up and dancing with some of the best dancers on Broadway. Andy Blakenbuehler and his assistant, Stephanie Klemmons, did some spectacular work here.

Videos