News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Hamilton Previews

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#250Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/14/15 at 11:59pm

Man, all this hype and I'm already looking forward to the tour! (Sadly probably won't be making it to NYC anytime soon, but at least there'll be the cast recording to listen to! Hamilton Previews )

But geez, this is insane. I think this may be the first show since I've started closely following Broadway that's made such a huge impact before even opening, so it's exciting to see a new musical garner so much attention!

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#251Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/15/15 at 12:39am

"9 pages of comments after only one performance of Hamilton and half of the pages are crap because of this kid. If I had known about his behavior, I never would have engaged in conversation with him on the School of Rock thread. I thought I was talking to a normal person interested in conversation. Turns out I was talking to a Ninny. 
Can the moderators not do anything about this? The thread cannot continue in this way. "

That is why I blocked him. My first and only. I like it.

Updated On: 7/15/15 at 12:39 AM

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#252Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/15/15 at 12:48am

As far as performances go, the standouts to me are Soo, Odom, and Goldsberry. Hands down. And I think if Odom and Soo are Featured, HAMILTON has a very good shot at taking home the Featured Actor and Actress awards. 

But, as we've seen in the past, we have almost a year until the Tony Awards and a lot can change in that time. 

Updated On: 7/15/15 at 12:48 AM

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#253Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/15/15 at 1:01am

So I won tonight's lotto (Weds, 7/14) and I am still on a high. I have tickets for after opening and I'll reserve full judgment until then, but this show is incredible and it's only going to get better. Lin is unsurprisingly great. For me, Leslie Odom, Jr. was a real highlight. His mannerisms were so spot-on and he really captured the essence of Aaron Burr as I understood him after reading the Hamilton biography.

Daveed Diggs and Renée Goldsberry were also fantastic and Jonathan Groff was hilarious. They'll be splitting hairs when award season rolls around. I think if they make the ending a little more powerful and tighten up act two, they'll have a masterpiece on their hands.

Updated On: 7/15/15 at 01:01 AM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#254Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/15/15 at 1:06am

"Leslie Odom Jr. is giving a historic performance in this show. One of the best performances I've ever seen. Everyone else is also well above and beyond. The acting is just out of this world."

He was my favorite one up on stage tonight. It was my first time seeing (or, purposely) listening to the show at all. I wasn't blown away, mostly because Act 1 was a bit long -- but it's a fantastic show, innovative, diverse, engaging, etc. 

I'm thinking 2016 isn't going to be a particularly whitebread Tonys, and I like that.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

jessejaehoon
#255Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/15/15 at 1:44am

I was there tonight as well. Remains largely unchanged from Off-Broadway, save some minor cuts and the excising of the Whiskey Rebellion. One of my favorite Biggie references was also cut, but the brilliant Ms. Goldsberry informed me that they couldn't afford to pay all the royalties for too many references. Not a big deal (more like not a Biggie deal AM I RIGHT [dodges projectile tomatoes]).

Show is in great shape, and I guess I'm the only fella who thinks that Act 1 is a fine length.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#256Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/15/15 at 1:59am

lol they made 27 million dollars in advance and couldn't afford it... sure

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#257Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/15/15 at 3:42am

I live in LA, college student, never been and not going to Broadway any time soon. I go to see live theatre here almost every week. I love theatre so much. Reading these great reviews, are giving me goosebumps.. like I want to cry of excitement. I cannot wait to hear that cast recording so much times until I memorize all the lyrics.. and maybe in the next 3 years I'll have seen the tour (hope Lin stars in it like he did with In the Heights) I love when other theatregoers can appreciate when a show is REALLY good. I'm loving all this positivity. 

LizzieCurry
#258Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/15/15 at 8:09am

"lol they made 27 million dollars in advance and couldn't afford it... sure"

LOL did they make that $27 mil before or after the rewrites? Don't assume.

LarryD2
#259Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/15/15 at 8:12am

"lol they made 27 million dollars in advance and couldn't afford it... sure"

Well, you've obviously never had to try and secure royalties before...

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#260Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/15/15 at 8:15am

Not to mention the they don't have access to that money yet.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#261Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/15/15 at 4:02pm

So I'm not really sure how the eligibility for getting nominated for a Tony is but since Hamilton has to wait until June 2016 for the Tonys and until April 2016 for the noms does that mean the original cast has to stay with the show until that time. I mean it doesn't matter if an ensemble member leaves because they can't be nominated for anything but what about the named roles? For example would it be legal for Leslie Odom Jr. to be nominated even though lets say he left come February. It would be odd but it would still be allowed for him to be nominated even though he wasn't with the production anymore, right?

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#262Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/15/15 at 4:06pm

Legal??

But it does not matter if an actor is still with a show when noms come out. However, you can assume most of the cast has a one year contract.

The only stipulation: who plays the role on opening night

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

LizzieCurry
#263Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/15/15 at 4:08pm

Yeah, Tony voters have been JAILED for nominating closed shows! Haven't you heard?

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#264Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/15/15 at 4:12pm

"Yeah, Tony voters have been JAILED for nominating closed shows! Haven't you heard?"

Bwahahahahahaha!!!

LOVE IT LizzieCurry!!

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#265Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/15/15 at 4:14pm

I was using "legal" to symbolize if it would be "eligible" to get nominated. &&& that makes sense.

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#266Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/15/15 at 4:20pm

I wanted to mention that if anyone is looking for tickets, producers seem to be releasing a small number here and there. Most are premium, $342 including fees if purchased through Ticketmaster. But I'm seeing a pair of regular priced orchestra tickets (way over on the side) for Saturday night. It's odd because those far seats in the orchestra haven't been sold at all, so I don't know why a pair would just show up like like. But it's there! $167 each.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#267Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/15/15 at 5:16pm

re the royalties,

first of all, never rely on what an actor in a show tells you about something like that. Producers don't sit everyone down and explain everything that is being done and much of what an actor hears is often gossip, and often second third fourth etc hand. Also, she could have intended it as a joke. (I am assuming jesse was relating what he heard from his/her new best friend at the stage door.)

secondly, unlike the rights to record or play or sing a song (or part thereof) in a bar, which are automatic, the right to use a song (or part thereof) in a show requires negotiation, which can mean (as is often the case) an outright refusal, a restriction as to extent or an absurdly high price. We do not know what happened here. 

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#268Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/15/15 at 5:21pm

It’s also possible that they found out the cost and Lin-Manuel decided the reference wasn’t worth the price. Not necessarily that they couldn’t afford it, but perhaps not something necessarily worth paying the price for.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#269Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 12:30am

"It's odd because those far seats in the orchestra haven't been sold at all, so I don't know why a pair would just show up like like. But it's there! $167 each."

The probably waited until the set was loaded in and they ran the show in rehearsals first, so they could determine whether to sell them for regular price or partial view (which is what they are doing), although given the demand PV isn't a huge reduction in price.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#270Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 12:36am

How partial view ARE the partial view seats? Has anyone sat in those extreme-side orchestra seats?

HGorn Profile Photo
HGorn
#271Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 11:21am

Was hoping this thread would only be reviews from people that have gone this week to see it instead of a lot of nonsense arguing.  Anyway I'm seeing the show tonight and really hope it lives up to the hype that everyone is going nuts over.  It will be my first time seeing it.  Review to follow

neonlightsxo
#272Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 11:37am

eaticecream, what did your username used to be?

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#273Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 3:02pm

I was at the show Tuesday night and I just wanted to share understudies and the changes that I noticed.

Understudies:

Hamilton: Javier Munoz, Jon Rua

Burr: Sydney James Harcourt, Austin Smith

Laurens/Philip: Andrew Chappelle, Thayne Jasperson

Lafayette/Jefferson: Andrew Chappelle, Seth Stewart

Mulligan/Madison: Andrew Chappelle, Ephraim Sykes

Angelica: Alysha Deslorieux, Emmy Raver-Lampman, Betsy Struxness

Eliza: Alysha Deslorieux, Carleigh Bettiol, Emmy Raver-Lampman

Peggy/Maria: Alysha Deslorieuz, Sasha Hutchings, Emmy Raver-Lampman

Washington: Sydney James Harcourt, Austin Smith

Interestingly, no King George understudy...

Changes that I noticed from the Public to Broadway (there are probably more but these are what I noticed):
- Some transitions between scenes/songs have been extended
- The beginning and end of "The Schuyler Sisters" are changed slightly... also more riffs in the middle, plus some new instruments
- About 75% of "Right Hand Man" was changed... either lyric-wise or moving around portions from one section to another
- Some slight lyric changes in "History Has Its Eye on You"
- The letter about Laurens is now sent from his father not his brother (I don't know if that was a change to make it more historical factual)
- Beginning of "Say No to This" was changed
- Some lines changed when Burr ran/won against Hamilton's father-in-law
- "One Last Ride" has been changed completedly to "One Last Time", as many already mentioned, it focused more on the Washington's leaving/final address than the Whiskey Rebellion
- Because of the song change, the staging was also changed. Before Washington went up the moving staircase, now he doesn't. Thus, King George doesn't show up sitting on the staircase in the transition but walks out.
- Some lyric changes in "The Adams Administration" (or whatever is the name of the song that happened before "Hurricane".) 
- "The Reynolds Pamplet" seemed tamer... And Hamilton starts it off with announcing it rather than Jefferson/ensemble singing it... hard to explain...
- "Dear Theodosia (Reprise)" was cut as well as the scene of Burr telling Hamilton that Philip was going to be in a duel was also cut.
- "The Obedient Servant" had lots of lyric changes
- I honestly didn't notice the additional ensemble members in the numbers.

Overall, I thought it was still a great show. It'll take used to certain changes, mostly "One Last Time" and "The Obedient Servant" but the bones from The Public are still there. I kinda wished that they fixed the ending a little bit. It always seemed a bit muddled to me. But since it's suppose to be a epilogue, it works. I just wished it flowed a little bit more.

trevytoe
#274Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/16/15 at 4:14pm

sorano, thanks for the update about changes from The Public. I agree about the ending being a little muddled.

But, I was really hoping to hear that the end of Act 1 would have improved. When I saw it in April it felt like it could have ended at least 3 times. Each time I thought it was going to end, it only made the remaining part feel longer.

And I didn't think the 3rd Schuyler sister worked at all (Overall, the female characters could be more multi-dimensional). Still, this is me really picking it apart. The only part that I thought seriously needed to be reworked was Jefferson's song at the top of Act 2 which didn't work for me at all. 

Videos