News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

If you could revive any Broadway flop?- Page 2

If you could revive any Broadway flop?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#25If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 12:43am

Has anyone ever admitted that a show flopped on here?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#26If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 3:24am

haterobics said: "Has anyone ever admitted that a show flopped on here?"

All the time...but it's usually met with derision. 

My pick: Scottsboro Boys.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

bk
#27If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 3:39am

More to the point, is there anyone here who was born prior to 1990 who may be aware there were shows before that date, and some rather infamous flops?  

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#29If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 7:42am

Speaking for those born well before 1990, I nominate 

RAGS

THE RINK

STEEL PIER

THE SECRET GARDEN (happy to hear this one is getting a real revival soon).

tomwsjr
#30If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 7:45am

The Rink

tomwsjr
#31If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 7:45am

The Rink

Addipia94 Profile Photo
Addipia94
#32If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 9:36am

Hmmmm 1776, I Can Get It For You Wholesale, and The Pirate Queen come to mind.

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#33If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 9:40am

Although I'd like to maintain some semblance of neutrality here, the very thought of The Pirate Queen's revival numbs me.

BWAY Baby2
#34If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 9:41am

Flora The Red Menace- but Liza would have to be 18 again. I loved that show as a kid.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#35If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 9:49am

TRIUMPH OF LOVE in a small off-Broadway house

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#36If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 9:52am

The Woman in White

Groundhog Day

American Psycho

Sunset Boulevard (the original production, which was only a flop in that it didn't recoup)

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage
Updated On: 3/29/18 at 09:52 AM

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#37If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 9:55am

I'm also a fan of I Can Get it for you Wholesale. The leading man's arc crests a little too early. The women get some great songs in act two, but the lead needs an 11o'clock number before his big decision. (They also need to agree on what that decision is. In one rewrite he betrays his friend. In the other he saves him.)

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

Addipia94 Profile Photo
Addipia94
#38If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 9:55am

markypoo said: "Although I'd like to maintain some semblance of neutrality here, the very thought of The Pirate Queen's revival numbs me."

Lol. Even though I suggested it, I know it was a hot mess :P

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#39If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 10:15am

I saw the Chicago tryout of The Pirate Queen. 

Favorite scene: Stephanie Block giving birth, then leaping up to sword fight with the British. 

Favorite lyric: "Where has it been writ / my life should turn to ****?"

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#40If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 10:19am

Significant Other, for plays, but aren't most "flops" nowadays? Does Indecent qualify as a flop?

MyLife
#41If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 10:33am

I was expecting to see a slew of Great Comet answers. 

Way to prove me wrong BWW!

Jarethan
#42If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 10:42am

poisonivy2 said: "Merrily We Roll Along. I stand by my assertion that this was Sondheim's strongest score."

And all you would need to do is contact the Huntington Theatre in Boston to find out who all the creatives were in their incredible production last year.  I would never ever ever again want to see the atrociously bad Harold Prince production, but boy would I have loved to have seen the Boston production (which originated in London) a few more times.

As for me, I would probably choose 'Darling go the Day' from 1968.  Terrific story, terrific score, terrific role for the leading lady and I suspect the right leading man.  Book revisions required, a couple of songs replaced.  Ran 4 weeks, despite mixed reviews with quite a few raves.  No advance, theatre out of the way, opened in the dead of January (which was admittedly more common in those days).  Probably still be a flop, because it is decidedly old-fashioned, but who knows.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#43If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 11:00am

Grind.

Lindsay is a goddess
#44If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 11:02am

Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812. This show really deserved better.

whatacharacter Profile Photo
whatacharacter
#45If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 2:14pm

The original book and score (in original Broadway keys) of Carrie.  With solid direction, choreography, and casting, this could be the camp nostalgia trip that Broadway and our country could use.  Keep it in the 80's, synthesizers and all, update the effects and have real "blood" drop... and cast either Carolee Carmello, Karen Mason, or Julia Murnie as Carrie's mother, and it will be a hit. 

bk
#46If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 2:53pm

Addipia94 said: "Hmmmm 1776, I Can GetIt ForYou Wholesale, and The Pirate Queen come to mind."

You think 1776, a show that ran 1,217 performances and three years was a flop?  Really?

Lindsay is a goddess
#47If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 3:01pm

I don’t know if this counts but I’d really love to see a financial successful revival of Gypsy, considering the last two failed to recoup their investments.

j.garcia
#48If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 3:30pm

Gypsy will never be considered a flop. And why would a financially successful Gypsy be different? The LuPone one was amazing and wouldn't be any different if it had recouped. 

I'm so glad to see all the American Psycho love, that was one of my favorites from that season and I'm still mad we never got an American recording as there are significant differences and Matt Smith is a terrible singer. 

I think Tuck Everlasting could succeed, but if it were reworked to a 90 minute no intermission, cut all the Man in the Yellow Suit filler, and just focused on Winnie and the Tucks. The songs she shares with them are the show's strongest, and it would be a popular license for schools.  

Updated On: 3/29/18 at 03:30 PM

Addipia94 Profile Photo
Addipia94
#49If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 3:53pm

bk said: "Addipia94 said: "Hmmmm 1776, I Can GetIt ForYou Wholesale, and The Pirate Queen come to mind."

You think 1776, a show that ran 1,217 performances and three years was a flop? Really?
"

Sorry, I was thinking of when it played at the Roundabout in 1997, but I realize now that was a limited engagement anyway!

VintageSnarker
#50If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 3/29/18 at 4:25pm

Rainah said: "What are you defining as a flop, before I answer?

- didn't recoup?
-played less than X number of performances?
- critical miss?
"

Yes, this. I think it's easy to pick out shows that didn't recoup that are still artistically valid.

As far as shows that I consider "real" flops, I don't think Good Vibrations or Doctor Zhivago should be revived just for my personal enjoyment... though I wouldn't say no to a bootleg.

Videos