News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

If you could revive any Broadway flop?- Page 4

If you could revive any Broadway flop?

ARTc3
#75If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 4/6/18 at 12:40am

A History of American Film. What I'd give to see, We're In a Salad, one more time. I don't think I've ever laughed as hard in my entire life.

ARTc3 formerly ARTc. Actually been a poster since 2004. My name isn't Art. Drop the "3" and say the signature and you'll understand.

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#76If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 4/6/18 at 12:43am

American Psycho

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#77If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 4/6/18 at 1:26am

Obviously Rachael Lily Rosenbloom (And Don't You Ever Forget It)

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#78If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 4/6/18 at 2:20am

Many of the shows listed I’d love to see successful revivals of because I never was able to see them in their prior runs. I really wanted to see American Psycho. As far as a flop I don’t think anyone has mentioned yet, I’d like to see Xanadu revived. I had a total gay (before I knew it) boy crush on Olivia throughout my teens and loved the movie in a totally unsarcastic way. I understand the stage production received some strong reviews and played up the campy elements.

sethleaf2 Profile Photo
sethleaf2
#79If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 4/6/18 at 6:03am

ChildofEarth said: "American Psycho for sure - or Groundhog Day. Both of these shows would have been the hits of the season this year."

Bless you...

HelloDanny Profile Photo
HelloDanny
#80FLOP Musical PICKWICK Flyer FOR SALE Broadway Charles Dickens
Posted: 5/7/18 at 10:17pm

Check this out on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202306021364

c. 1965 PICKWICK 54 perf. musical flop HANDBILL Charles Dickens HARRY SECOMBE 

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#81FLOP Musical PICKWICK Flyer FOR SALE Broadway Charles Dickens
Posted: 5/8/18 at 12:01am

Lot666 said: "BuddyStarr said: "I've seen a number of these shows that people want revived because they were a flop, however, they closed for a reason, they weren't good."

That's a bit pompous, don't you think? There are obviously people here whodisagree with your assessment, so what you're basically saying is "My opinion is the only valid one".
"

Wasn’t trying to be pompous at all.  I was just saying that these shows closed for a reason.  I’ve listen to a lot of cast albums that I thought were great but closed early.  It seems it’s the rare musical that can come back from the dead unless it’s totally redone. 

thebookofwhizzer Profile Photo
thebookofwhizzer
#82FLOP Musical PICKWICK Flyer FOR SALE Broadway Charles Dickens
Posted: 5/8/18 at 10:37am

I would say Carrie as well, but keeping the revised score from 2012 (which I adore) and keeping the revised book as well (though I would revise it a bit further). I would keep it small-ish, maybe like the LA in the round revival, at the Circle in the Square. Maybe even modernize it a bit ala Mean Girls and keep it with a great cast (I could see Carolee Carmelo as Margret, a new comer as Carrie and maybe someone like Alex Finke for Sue), I think the show definitely could work. Also, Jason Gotay playing Billy is totally a dream for me! 

“6 AM. The sky glows. Somewhere a bird chirps. I want to shoot it.” ~ Jonathan Larson, Tick...Tick..BOOM

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#84FLOP Musical PICKWICK Flyer FOR SALE Broadway Charles Dickens
Posted: 5/8/18 at 11:23am

PACIFIC OVERTURES

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG

ANYONE CAN WHISTLE...all 3 need to be revived with full scale productions!!~

#85FLOP Musical PICKWICK Flyer FOR SALE Broadway Charles Dickens
Posted: 5/8/18 at 11:58am

Definitely agree on Catch Me If You Can; also would love to see Bridges of Madison County revived.

Rainah
#86FLOP Musical PICKWICK Flyer FOR SALE Broadway Charles Dickens
Posted: 5/8/18 at 12:03pm

I think most things can be revived successfully if they're done well. But hear me out

Ten years from now, a Great Comet revival done by someone who knows how to market the damn thing. 

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#87FLOP Musical PICKWICK Flyer FOR SALE Broadway Charles Dickens
Posted: 5/8/18 at 1:45pm

Trust me. There's no reason to ever revive NEVER GONNA DANCE. The same goes for PLATINUM, Charles Strouse's A BROADWAY MUSICAL and THOU SHALL NOT. 

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#88FLOP Musical PICKWICK Flyer FOR SALE Broadway Charles Dickens
Posted: 5/8/18 at 2:42pm

I "third" BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY,
the best score of this century so far. I have
no idea why it closed so quickly on Broadway,
The OBCR is amazing and the national tour
was so moving, I couldn't even talk about the
show for several days.

* Yes, I was alive well before 1990. About 35
years in fact.

** I had purposely avoided the book and film,
assuming them to be chick lit and flick,
respectively. So I was no fan of the "property",
just somebody who was given free tickets
to the musical.

#89FLOP Musical PICKWICK Flyer FOR SALE Broadway Charles Dickens
Posted: 5/8/18 at 2:42pm

Wait... nobody wants a Thou Shalt Not revival?  Next thing you know people will be clamoring for a Kelly revival.

ShowToonz
#90If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 5/8/18 at 4:03pm

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue

amaklo
#91If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 5/8/18 at 5:17pm

Having suffered through the Doyle version at Classic Stage, I'd love to see what Bartlett Sher and his big budget at Lincoln Center could do with Pacific Overtures.

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#92If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 5/8/18 at 5:39pm

amaklo said: "Having suffered through the Doyle version at Classic Stage, I'd love to see what Bartlett Sher and his big budget at Lincoln Center could do with Pacific Overture

i am praying to the Theatre Gods to make this happen!!

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#93If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 5/8/18 at 6:33pm

Totting things up from this thread, a theoretical "flop rehab" facility would allegedly do great business if it presented (leaving out the one-vote charlies):

American Psycho (13 votes)
Merrily We Roll Along (5 votes)
Groundhog DayCarrie (tied for 4 votes)
Bright Star, ChessDance of the VampiresThe Bridges of Madison County1600 Pennsylvania Avenue (tied for 3 votes)
Caroline, or ChangeCatch Me If You CanSteel PierWomen on the Verge of a Nervous BreakdownThe RinkI Can Get It for You WholesaleNatasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812Bonnie and ClydePacific Overtures (tied for 2 votes)

...that's one interesting group of shows to assemble into seasons. I can spot some "holiday" / seasonal placements (i.e., American PsychoCarrie, and Vampires would make great Halloween fare, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is obvious Independence Day programming, Groundhog Day speaks for itself, Madison County would be good for Valentine's Day) right off the bat, and at least two seasons could sustain a "one Sondheim per" rule, but otherwise, it's a tough nut to crack.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky
Updated On: 5/8/18 at 06:33 PM

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#95If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 5/8/18 at 10:21pm

It really is like, a legitimate national artistic tragedy that 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue survives only in neutered (and vocally inappropriate) "cantata" form. Much like Candide it does suffer from the usual dramatic shortfalls of a pageant-style show, but so much of it is so absolutely phenomenal that I can't imagine some flop rehab couldn't fix it up to be narratively robust enough to support the magnificent score. It's also politically ahead of its time (no surprise given Bernstein's fierce leftism), and does a fairly good job of muddling the first wives' roles to prevent outright white saviorness. Someone, somewhere, on this forum at one point messaged me that they had the original script for the show, but sadly I think they've disappeared - if anyone has it I would just die to be able to read it, because it's so close to being a masterpiece.

#96If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 5/8/18 at 10:26pm

Your Arms Too Short to Box with God.

I just wanna see what it's actually about and hear that score since it is never done.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#97If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 5/8/18 at 10:39pm

I saw CARRIE in Los Angeles at a special midnight performance. It was indeed right around Halloween and was a total gas. I wonder if they would ever do something like that on Broadway. That revival
wouldindeed be a great fit for Circle in the Square.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#98If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 5/8/18 at 10:44pm

QueenAlice said: "I saw CARRIE in Los Angeles at a special midnight performance. It was indeed right around Halloween and was a total gas. I wonder if they would ever do something like that on Broadway. That revival
wouldindeed be a great fit for Circle in the Square.
"

I’ve never seen any stage production of Carrie, but this has me wondering how this would work as a fully immersive Sleep No More take or semi-immersive Sweeney Todd production. 

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#99If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 5/8/18 at 11:16pm

Amen to a big budget production of Pacific Overtures. I wish Broadway would do an old fashion thriller again like they used to. I guess Misery counted but that wasn’t a flop show that was revived. I wish they would bring back Don’t Call Back (check out my Profile pic to the left!). This thriller starred the late Arlene Francis about some burglars breaking into an actress’s ritzy apartment. Night Watch starred the great late Joan Hackett. Lasted about 3 months. Great set. Great thriller. We Interupt This Prigram about the hijacking of a Broadway Theatre. It was great fun. Lasted about a week I think. A regular sex comedy begins and suddenly snipers took over the Ambassador Theatre. Children! Children! starred the late great Gwen Verdon. Lasted 1 performance. There was room on Broadway for thrillers years ago. Some made it: Deathtrap and Sleuth but most flopped. Thought of another good one: Veronica’s Room with another late great, Eileen Heckart.

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#101If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 5/9/18 at 8:56am

I say this all the time, American Psycho.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#102If you could revive any Broadway flop?
Posted: 5/9/18 at 4:49pm

No rest for the wicked, huh? Updating the standings shortly. :P

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Videos