News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 151

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#3750Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/11/14 at 12:32pm

" Meryl may be Meryl but the Baker's Wife is a more difficult role to successfully execute in my opinion."

Blunt pretty much had to get a nomination for the Globes. Scarce competition. But congrats to her :)

whatacharacter Profile Photo
whatacharacter
#3751Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/11/14 at 12:45pm

I can't see the clips on Amazon. Can someone share the link?

Carrie-or-Change2 Profile Photo
Carrie-or-Change2
#3752Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/11/14 at 12:46pm

Snatched up a pass to an early screening last night thanks to a friend of a friend. No spoilers, I promise!

I'll begin by saying that this is a good film, and a very good adaptation. The art direction and costume design are beautifully done, and create a distinct atmosphere. The film never feels "stagy", which is often a problem in stage-to-screen adaptations.

The acting is quite good across the board, with a special shout out to Chris Pine for stealing every scene he's in. The editing keeps the story quipping along without it ever feeling frenetic (a la Chicago), and the cinematography serves the material quite well, framing the special effects in such a way that they look both magical and naturalistic. Thankfully, Rob Marshall didn't do the "dream sequence" musical number thing, and only a few songs feel forced. But, more on that later.

Tonally, the film is on point. While plot lines may have been changed and a few songs were axed, the emotional journey is the same, and the film is really quite moving. Love the change in set design and thoughtful color-correction in "Act 2".

The only thing that really bothered me about the film is that there are a few musical numbers that stop the show in the wrong way. I know this has been discussed before, but both "I Know Things Now" and "Giant in the Sky", songs in the past tense, feel just a little bit unnecessary. While Marshall did what he could with them, by showing us the literal journey these characters are describing, they just feel like over-long asides. Of course, I'm not advocating for cutting these numbers, they're ESSENTIAL thematically, but they just feel a little odd when rest of the film has so much momentum.

That being said, I still think that this is just about as good of an adaptation as was possible, due to the inherent theatricality of the piece. Here's hoping for some Oscar love!

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#3753Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/11/14 at 12:48pm

"It is unfortunate that there was not much love from SAG."

That shouldn't be surprising as there are not different categories for drama and musical/comedy. That is the only reason the film and Blunt were nominated for GGs.

It still has a chance as one of the 10 best pic noms at the AAs, but Blunt has no chance there. Meryl is the only chance for an acting nom for the AAs at this point...and that may still not happen.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Mrtrobz
#3754Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/11/14 at 1:30pm

They are on Amazon UK under the MP3 version, are we allowed to link to buying sites on here?

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#3755Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/11/14 at 1:37pm

Am I missing something? Not on MP3 Amazon UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PABRFLQ/ref=dm_cd_album_bb

dtzumbrunnen Profile Photo
dtzumbrunnen
#3757Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/11/14 at 3:00pm

Golden Globe nominations in:

Meryl - Supporting Actress
Emily - Leading Actress
Into the Woods - Best Motion Picture, Music or Comedy
Full Nominations!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#3758Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/11/14 at 3:51pm

I would love it if Chris Pine got an Oscar nomination. Elevating every scene you're in is exactly what a great supporting performance does.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Starship
#3759Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/11/14 at 3:53pm

Chris Pine in the new photoshoot looks absolutely gorgeous.

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#3760Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/11/14 at 4:17pm

dtzum...these were already posted on page 150 by me...but thanks for the echo...:)...and congrats to EMILY and MERYL or the noms...

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#3761Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/11/14 at 5:16pm

Congrats to Meryl and Emily for their nominations and the film getting that honor as well.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#3762Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/11/14 at 5:50pm

Neil Gaiman 200 word "review"
into the woods

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#3763Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/11/14 at 5:52pm

Best12bars, I have never heard a "supporting role" defined any better! That would be such a great thing to happen!

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
SondeimFan1
#3765Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/11/14 at 6:41pm

A friend just shared this on fb - who are they and why is this soooo awesome?!! Do you think Sondheim has heard it?

http://bit.ly/korbeewoods
No One Is Alone

Plautus2
Starship
#3767Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/11/14 at 6:50pm

I've always felt that Kendrick was a hilarious person and I enjoy her type of humor. However, acting wise, I've never been a huge fan, and when it comes to her vocals, I feel like her voice (to me) sounds pretty nasal-y. However, she sounds BEAUTIFUL in the No One Is Alone clip!! I'm beyond excited.

beautywickedlover
#3768Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/11/14 at 9:29pm

Rob Marshall had to this say about the Golden Globe nomination for Best Motion Picture Comedy/Musical.

“On behalf of my fellow producers, John DeLuca and Marc Platt, I want to thank the Hollywood Foreign Press for this wonderful honor. I am so proud to have been a part of bringing Sondheim and Lapine’s beloved and profound work to the screen, and equally proud of the extraordinary cast who brought it to life with such passion and heart.” - Rob Marshall, director "Into the Woods,"

http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/emma-stone-reese-witherspoon-and-more-react-to-2015-golden-globes-nominations

The "No One Is Alone" video was simply wonderful.

Showface
#3769Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/11/14 at 10:11pm

Thrilled about the GG noms!

I actually posted the No One is Alone featurette, but it might have gotten overlooked ( because I had other links in my post), so thanks for re-posting, so more people would notice! Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

Review:

"Attended a screening and was delighted to see that, like Chicago, he nailed this movie perfectly, no spoilers, but felt like I was watching Meryl gdt her next Oscar, and this time for a singing role!

It was entertaining start to finish, the only change, should have been Bowie as the wolfe! Since Johnny Depp is a horrible singer and sounded very much like Bowie singing anyway. Depp is an overrared actor anyway....he will never be forgiven for Sweeney Tood!" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2180411/board/thread/237899876

"I had no clue what this was about and had no expectations! I absolutely loved it. I was very impressed. I can't remember the last time I laughed that hard and there were several moments when the audience bursted out in applause! I will admit, being a huge fan of musical theater, you can definitely tell when act 1 ends and act 2 begins. The first half of the movie is much better than the second half! But overall it was so entertaining I have a hard time believing anyone could dislike this movie!!!!" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2180411/board/thread/237892685

Jungle Red Profile Photo
Jungle Red
#3770Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 1:19am

I just finished reading the script and I like all of the changes. It works on the page, so we'll see how if it works on the screen. There are also a few surprises, but I'll keep mum on that.

I thought they said that Meryl has a new song?? That's not in there.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#3771Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 1:27am

@Jungle Red, the new song "She'll Be Back" has been cut; that's why it's not in the script. But Rob Marshall promised that it'll be on the DVD/Blu-ray.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#3772Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 5:04am

So, after December 25, how many articles do we think Jezebel and XOJane are going to publish on the sex shaming of the baker's wife?

Look, I know Sondheim and Lapine have said before that the killing of the baker's wife was never about punishing the woman for her tryst with the Prince. That's their story, but at the end of the day, perception is reality, right?

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#3773Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 7:32am

I like that second IMDb review written by "a huge fan of musical theater" who had no idea what INTO THE WOODS is about.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#3774Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/12/14 at 1:36pm

So I got to see an advanced screening of the movie yesterday - and it's FANTASTIC. Seriously, it's the best stage to screen adaptation in recent memory. (So you have an idea, my favorites are 1776, Fiddler, The Sound of Music, and West Side Story - for a taste).

I know Into the Woods better than just about any other show out there. I've taught it for years in school and watched the Broadway cast recording umpteen times.

I'm not going to go through the whole cast - just a couple of standouts:

Meryl Streep disappears completely into the role of the witch. She's fascinating to watch - you can't take your eyes off her when she's on screen. Her voice has improved tremendously since Mamma Mia. She has some great line readings that I feel truly make her performance Oscar worthy. Stay With Me and Last Midnight are definite highlights of the movie.

Chris Pine is the MVP of this cast. Seriously - he steals every single scene he's in. Agony is literally the funniest three minutes of screen time I can remember seeing since Borat. Some people might find it ridiculous, but the scene is brilliantly staged and deserves the roaring laughter it got last night (and, I might add, the only full out applause the movie got until the end).

The rest of the cast is very strong as well - there really isn't a weak link amongst them.

The cut songs were missed (especially the second Agony but more because of how great the first one was). No More is only there instrumentally. They couldn't have done the song as it's written given the way the movie is done, and arguments can be made for its inclusion, but I think it worked really well the way that it was done here as it is.

There is a surprise for Sondheim fans at the first night of the ball (I think it was the first night). Not telling what it is, but it made my wife and I grin like fools.

The only thing I would really criticize is the change-over between acts. That's always tough in stage to screen adaptions, and I don't think they quite pulled it off here. The end of act one/opening of act two are played instrumentally, but the scene in the show where the witch comes into the baker's house to tell them about the giant is really missed. When the action of act two gets going (when they face the giant for the first time), characters literally just APPEAR - they're just -- THERE. It's strange.

It really is a fantastic movie. I was grinning through most of the first act's material, and choked up a bit at the end. It's certainly something I plan to see again.

Say what you will, but Rob Marshall definitely knew what he was doing with this one.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!

Videos