News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September - Page 4

Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September

TerrenceIsTheMann
#75Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/16/15 at 12:56pm

Take this with a grain of salt, but after seeing Hamilton last night, I asked Soo if she was involved at all with the upcoming production, and she didn't answer directly, but she said "I'm really happy for the show. Those guys are gonna do great."

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#76Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/16/15 at 1:13pm

Interesting! I haven't seen this show in any incarnation, but I'm happy it's happening seeing as I procrastinated when it was in NYC. I love Denée Benton and I'd really love to see her on Broadway, but I understand if Soo might be in early negotiations and can't say.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

neonlightsxo
#77Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/16/15 at 1:45pm

To me, that means she isn't involved. Interesting that you're choosing to read it another way.

Updated On: 12/16/15 at 01:45 PM

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#78Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/16/15 at 11:14pm

Two things...

On the venue: How about the Hudson Theatre... it doesn't have any 'screwed in' seats... seems like the perfect fit if they can get renovations done in time. The liberty theatre would also be perfect... not sure what the current capacity of the Liberty is though. 

On Philippa Soo: I agree that she should totally leave Hamilton to do Natasha... especially if she doesn't win the Tony for best actress. Broadway actors/actresses seem to be remembered by the amount of original roles they create. It would be in her best interest to originate roles in two of the biggest/most important musicals of this decade. Plus the good-will from her time in Hamilton almost ensures her a Tony win for Natasha... in the same vein as Patina Miller winning for Pippin after she did Sister Act or Randi Graff winning for City of Angels after Les Miserables...

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#79Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/17/15 at 12:11am

Unless (as is certainly likely) she's getting film or television offers which have the potential to bring wider exposure and certainly a bigger paycheck. I would love to see her in this as well, but I don't think it would be that surprising to see the role played by someone else. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

c0113g3b0y
#80Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/17/15 at 3:49am

maybe Phillipa would revisit the role, except that she won't originate it on Broadway.

The thing is, besides being an utter toad of a human being, Riedel usually has the least knowledge of the topic in the room. He doesn't usually understand the content or approach of a show, and is always completely and unfailingly socially ignorant, which makes it really infuriating when Susan can't get a word in edgewise. A definitive mansplainer; it's always painful when he has female guests. I watch the show sporadically when I really want to see a guest, because it's the only theatre talkshow we have, but it would be so much better without this hateful clown in a dadcoat. (thanks ScaryWarhol)

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#81Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/29/15 at 10:05am

c0113g3b0y said: "maybe Phillipa would revisit the role, except that she won't originate it on Broadway.

"

She was asked about this on Saturday night after the show and didn't say no.  Said she had heard good things about the current actress in Cambridge.

A title role for her would be a great next step.  Will be interesting to see what happens regarding nominations and awards and her contract.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#83Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/29/16 at 2:53pm

So glad to see Amber Grey returning to the show! I liked Lilli Cooper, but Amber Grey brought something special to Helene that really made it a star turn.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 3/29/16 at 02:53 PM

wonderfulwizard11
#84Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/29/16 at 3:06pm

Very happy to see most of the off-Broadway/ART cast make the transfer to Broadway, especially Amber Grey and Brittain Ashford. I cannot wait for this show!

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Roscoe
#85Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/29/16 at 3:35pm

Very excited for Amber Grey, Lucas Steele, Nick Choksi and the sublime Brittain Ashford -- more than makes up for the relative disappointment of Mr. Groban, who I'm hoping will rise to the occasion.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

Back Row
#86Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/29/16 at 3:44pm

Happy to see Scott Stangland remaining with the cast as the Pierre understudy. He was really terrific as Pierre in Cambridge, and it's great that more people will be able to see that performance when Grogan takes an occasional night off. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#87Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/29/16 at 3:49pm

Still think the Imperial is the wrong choice for this type of show. 

Although Candide did a similar staging at the Broadway, and that seemed to work right?

wonderfulwizard11
#88Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/29/16 at 3:58pm

When tickets go on sale, it'll be interesting to see what the seating configuration looks like. Mimi Lien is brilliant, so I'm sure she and Rachel Chavkin will have figured out something that works well for the show. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#89Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/29/16 at 4:07pm

"How will this work in a Broadway space?" has been the question with this production since it was off-Broadway. Having seen the show in different spaces, I am excited to see what they will do. This is a rare production that I will be glad to buy a full-priced ticket to support.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#90Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/29/16 at 4:26pm

Well....I still rather NOT buy full priced tickets...but I will.  My 15 yo son, just told me that's his birthday present.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

EdBroadway5
#91Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/29/16 at 5:05pm

I loved this show when it was playing Off-Broadway and could see it going into a smaller Broadway house.  But the Imperial?   Something will be lost in that barn, pretty though it is.  Part of the charm of the Off-Broadway house was that it allowed for interplay between the audience and the cast.  Still hoping it all the best, because IMO, it was a great piece of theatre.

Updated On: 3/29/16 at 05:05 PM

KCW Profile Photo
KCW
#92Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/29/16 at 6:06pm

Have faith. This show is better than Hamilton in my opinion and as stated earlier, Mimi Lien is briliant. 

I appoligise for any spelling mistakes. I may be on my mobile. Clumsy fingers and small little touchscreen keys don't mixx. I try to spellcheck, but I may miss something.

willep
#93Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/30/16 at 10:53am

So glad to see so many castmembers returning. Interested to see how they adapt the theatre...can't wait to see the show again.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#94Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/30/16 at 11:07am

True. I just feel like when you're in the Mezz you can't see most of the orchestra, so to build out into the orchestra seems odd. But I hope they transform the space the way Bloody Bloody did.

And Hair did audience interaction just fine for a big house. And Cabaret managed to make it work. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#95Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/30/16 at 11:11am

I heard they aren't building much over the orchestra seats, but are finding ways to creatively have staging occur throughout the theatre, including the mezzo.  I have also heard they are going to 'heavily set decorate' the interior of the auditorium.  But it does sound like the 'on-stage' seating is going to be the more interactive experience if that is what you are looking for.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#96Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/30/16 at 1:29pm

Just realized (from a thread on ATC) that they have officially changed the title to just "THE GREAT COMET."  How do we feel about that?  I think the original title or even "NATASHA / PIERRE" might have been better.  THE GREAT COMET sounds like a musical about a cleaning product.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#97Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/30/16 at 1:31pm

Oh, that's kinda depressing. I loved its creative albeit lengthy name. Can you provide a link/source, QueenAlice?

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#98Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/30/16 at 1:35pm

QueenAlice said: "Just realized (from a thread on ATC) that they have officially changed the title to just "THE GREAT COMET."  How do we feel about that?  I think the original title or even "NATASHA / PIERRE" might have been better.  THE GREAT COMET sounds like a musical about a cleaning product."

I know that during their theatre district run, the producers weren't too thrilled that fans were called it "Natasha/Pierre" and wanted to really go by "The Great Comet" instead. So, I guess they took the leap and made it its official name.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#99Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 3/30/16 at 1:35pm

On the full cast announcement, you can see in the official Press Release refers to the show only by the shortened title "The Great Comet."

Videos