News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September - Page 2

Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#25Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/14/15 at 1:30am

RippedMan said: "Sucks for the guy playing Pierre at ART knowing he's got to take a backseat."

LOL, I was thinking that earlier... Obviously, he must still be killing it, but he's gotta feel a little forlorn/disheartened knowing there isn't really any future down this path for him...

Updated On: 12/14/15 at 01:30 AM

ActingDude172
#26Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/14/15 at 1:37am

I saw the NY productions briefly covered on NY1 once upon a time ago, but the property had left my mind until it popped up in ART's season. Even then I only vaguely remembered it as an adaptation of a Russian novel. Cut to me seeing and listening to the show for the first time in Cambridge this past Tuesday and being inraptured. Five days later, news breaks it's going to Broadway.

Life is funny sometimes.

Brick
#27Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/14/15 at 1:54am

RippedMan said: "Sucks for the guy playing Pierre at ART knowing he's got to take a backseat. 

I thought that last week when those first shots from ART came out, and knowing they were about to announce Groban. The thing I hadn't yet heard were dates. I figured they wouldn't shoot for Spring, like productions usually do, since this isn't a usual year. Any new musical is smart to get far out of the way of the HAMILTON juggernaut, of course. But also, I wondered if Groban's scheduled would remain open for so long, considering he'll likely sign a year contract starting in July.

VintageSnarker
#28Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/14/15 at 2:00am

I found the album to be a bit of a mess and while I enjoyed Preludes for what it was, it's not on my list of favorite shows. But with all the raves I've heard about the original production I would definitely like to see this version for myself. I don't really have an opinion on Josh Groban and having no ties to the material... if he's what it takes to get it Broadway, that's cool, I guess.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#29Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/14/15 at 2:03am

Brick said: "I wondered if Groban's scheduled would remain open for so long, considering he'll likely sign a year contract starting in July."

He puts out albums and tours. Seems like he has complete control over his availability.

RippedMan said: "Sucks for the guy playing Pierre at ART knowing he's got to take a backseat."

You should learn his name before you start making him into the next Jeremy Jordan already...

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#30Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/14/15 at 4:15am

Groban is as bland as dry toast, feel sorry for the poor guy at ART who just got Jeremy Jordaned, I hope most of you plan to boycott this, cause it all comes down to that lying producer. PS is it Harvey? 

But in all seriousness looking forward to seeing this! 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#31Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/14/15 at 7:17am

I'm so excited for this!

I would love to see it in Circle In The Square but as people have said, Fun Home isn't going anywhere anytime soon, especially with their recoupment announcement (not that they should, it's an amazing show and it makes great use of the space). I think The Music Box would be a great fit.

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#32Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/14/15 at 8:07am

Jeremy Jordan is a verb now. Oh dear Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September

I'm still not over that. Jordan should have taken FN to broadway. Weinstein is dbag.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#33Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/14/15 at 8:09am

Smart, strategic decisions made by everyone, starting with Groban.  He has likely been offered myriad revivals (he's said as much), yet is choosing to put his box office power behind a still new show, one that will only benefit in the short run from his name attached. I don't think it's a logical show to fill a 1500 seat theater 8 times a week, no matter its status as a downtown hit.  So Groban's involvement is both artistically and commercially shrewd  Cynics who feel he'll dampen the show are underestimating what his presence will bring, and how it will enable access for the many people otherwise not predisposed to see this show.  As for Circle in the Square: no one is putting Josh Groban's B'way debut in a 765 seat theater.  Wisdom, this.  

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Buddy Plummer2
#34Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/14/15 at 8:48am

But thinking about it- what theatre can this take? I'm assuming they're gonna try for one with a raked house and a greater orchestra vs. mezz ratio (that way they could close the mezz and use onstage seats). Houses that came to mind: the booth? Winter Garden would be perfect simply due to the expanse of that orchestra. I know someone earlier had suggested the Kerr. Or maybe Something Rotten'll pack up and it'll take the st James. As long as they keep the current configuration (or improve it), I'd be happy.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#35Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/14/15 at 8:51am

Random sidebar: in photos, why does Groban always seem to be wearing Rosario's Members Only jacket from Will and Grace?

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#36Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/14/15 at 9:05am

My friend texted me screaming at me to wake up and good lord this was worth it. I'm so happy for this miracle of a show. My guess is that Pippa Soo will leave Hamilton to come back to Natasha. It'll be great publicity for the show especially if she wins this June.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#37Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/14/15 at 9:07am

This is great news! I love Josh Groban's voice, and I had been wanting to see this show again. I wish he were coming in that long-rumored Chess revival but I'll take this!

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

broadwayboy223
#38Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/14/15 at 9:22am

He might be doing this to get Chess to happen^^^

neonlightsxo
#39Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/14/15 at 9:33am

VintageSnarker said: "I found the album to be a bit of a mess and while I enjoyed Preludes for what it was, it's not on my list of favorite shows. But with all the raves I've heard about the original production I would definitely like to see this version for myself. I don't really have an opinion on Josh Groban and having no ties to the material... if he's what it takes to get it Broadway, that's cool, I guess."

Comet is nothing like Preludes. Preludes was a bore. Comet is years better.

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#40Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/14/15 at 9:39am

Well I'm quite intrigued in this news! Groban has a beautiful voice, but his acting is a little on the dry side. I saw his performance in Chess and it was very middle of the road. Hoping he seeks out some acting lessons/advice! I'll stay hopeful though as the score is absolutely fantastic!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#41Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/14/15 at 9:45am

However, Pierre is a bit of a nebbish, a mensch.  Just a harried guy feeling lost....I think the singing is the key to this role.

For them to make this announcement, they must already have their theater lined up, I would think.  I just booked tix to catch this again at the ART with my 15 year old son -- whom I believe is going to be blown away...was able to snag a couple of onstage seats. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#42Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/14/15 at 9:47am

This explains why he was sitting next to a friend of mine there a couple nights ago.

We're seeing the show next Sunday.

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#43Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/14/15 at 9:57am

I was blown away the two times I saw this at Kazino; it was the kind of theatre-going experience I hope for every single time I go see something, but so rarely end up getting. I can't wait to see this revamped production on Broadway (and I would love to see Soo return as Natasha, as I found her astonishing in the role).

Markecib
#44Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/14/15 at 10:06am

This is exciting news! I was thinking maybe the Booth or Helen Hays for the production of the wanted to keep it small, but what about the Belasco. It would look amazing in that space.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#45Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/14/15 at 11:05am

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I'll mention it again:

I heard a while ago that Comet had its eyes on the Walter Kerr after their 2nd run off-Broadway, but when Gentleman's Guide became a hit, they couldn't do it. Now with Gentleman's Guide closing and The Crucible on a limited run, I think the Kerr could very well be their theatre. 

BroadMagTech
#46Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/14/15 at 11:12am

Belasco would be great.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#47Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/14/15 at 12:01pm

JBroadway said: "Now with Gentleman's Guide closing and The Crucible on a limited run, I think the Kerr could very well be their theatre."

Especially with a Crucible closing date in July and Great Comet being listed as beginning performances "in September," this move-in seems extremely realistic and doable. My bet's on the Kerr now.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#48Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/14/15 at 12:20pm

In previous incarnations, Pierre isn't a vocally showy role at all and, despite being one of the two title characters, isn't what I would think of as a "star" role, particularly since the show is really a big ensemble piece (with some of the smaller roles getting the best parts, like "Charming").

Despite the inevitably of it being thought of as "the Josh Groban show," I can't imagine that actually being the case.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 12/14/15 at 12:20 PM

neonlightsxo
#49Josh Groban to star in The Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway in September
Posted: 12/14/15 at 12:26pm

According to the Times article, as well as Dave Malloy's twitter, they are writing new material for Pierre for Josh. I can't imagine it will become a star role, but it will be more substantial.

Videos