News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig- Page 6

Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
CarlosAlberto
#127Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 6/24/15 at 1:51pm

"Hot."

Agreed!

absolutbitter
#128Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 6/24/15 at 3:04pm

Wowza. Looking forward to seeing him in August.

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#129Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 6/24/15 at 3:41pm

Amazingly hot. The best publicity shot for this show so far, IMHO. Can't wait to see him in this. 

rjm516
#130Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 6/24/15 at 4:21pm

Waaaaoooow. 

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#131Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 6/24/15 at 4:51pm

I want to go to there.

skies Profile Photo
skies
#132Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 6/24/15 at 8:49pm

Now THAT is a good marketing Hedwig poster.

Can't wait for Taye to do his run, it's been far too long since he's been back on stage.  

If I'm not mistaken, is Taye the first POC to do the role? 

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

yourheartcansing
#133Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 6/24/15 at 8:53pm

"Now THAT is a good marketing Hedwig poster.
Can't wait for Taye to do his run, it's been far too long since he's been back on stage.  
If I'm not mistaken, is Taye the first POC to do the role? "

Nope, Darren is half filipino. He is to my knowledge the first black Hedwig though.

skies Profile Photo
skies
#134Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 6/24/15 at 9:07pm

Yes, I know Darren is half Filipino.

Phrasing it differently, there might be tweaks in the dialogue of HEDWIG to indicate Taye's A black German. 

I don't think Hedwig has ever been adjusted previously per an actors's ethnic background, and that includes Darren.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

yourheartcansing
#135Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 6/24/15 at 9:26pm

"Yes, I know Darren is half Filipino.
Phrasing it differently, there might be tweaks in the dialogue of HEDWIG to indicate Taye's A black German. 
I don't think Hedwig has ever been adjusted previously per an actors's ethnic background, and that includes Darren.
 "

now that's a totally different question. as you had worded it, you were wrong, he isn't the first POC to do it. If you already knew about Darren, then why ask if Taye is the first POC to do it? Sorry, I get defensive when people (whether on purpose or accidentally) erase Darren's race just because he is white passing. Taye may end up being the first that has things changed due to his race though. I can't imagine JCM won't take advantage of that for new material, and it will definitely be interesting to see what changes. that's just not what you asked in your previous post.

FindingNamo
#136Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 6/24/15 at 9:33pm

I sooooooooooooooooo want Taye to do a Richard Pryor-like white man impression for Luther's voice.  Then again, I want an afro as big as Elphaba's cherry picker dress for the entrance.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

skies Profile Photo
skies
#137Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 6/24/15 at 9:58pm

Taye is going to rock this performance.  

As to the Darren stan, you can chill now.  

I second the afro for Taye!!!

yourheartcansing
#138Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 6/24/15 at 10:05pm

"Taye is going to rock this performance.  
As to the Darren stan, you can chill now.  
I second the afro for Taye!!!

"

lol, literally all i did was answer your poorly worded question, and then get attacked for it, but whatever.

btw, i may be a fan of Darren, but I also am just a fan of Hedwig in general, and am excited to see what Taye does with the role. may even attempt another nyc trip in the fall, if i have the money.

skies Profile Photo
skies
#139Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 6/24/15 at 10:12pm

I have to say that Taye and Rebecca together, it's going to be awesome.  Both fabulous "star" quality.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#140Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 6/25/15 at 1:10am

"i may be a fan of Darren, but I also am just a fan of Hedwig in general"

Honestly don't know how anyone can be both. They seem mutually exclusive.

Phan2
#141Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 6/25/15 at 6:30am

I love this photo of Taye.  Very dramatic.   Came to this thread because  I loved the Hedwig film and I like Taye.   I'm hoping he does well during his run.  I have faith that he will, since he is so talented.  Not going to be able to see him since I am a poor college student on the West Coast.  But am eager to read positive reviews of his performances.  So for those who are lucky enough to see him, please post your reviews!

I didn't know much about Darren Criss.  So I find it interesting he is part Filipino.  As a person of mixed race, I can understand why fans of DC would want to point out Darren is also a person of color.  I didn't really see anything wrong with the responses of yourheartcansing, in terms of the discussion of Darren's race.  I also don't see why someone can't be a fan of a DC  and be a fan of Hedwig, sort of a blanket statement that seems intended to offend.   I guess I'm going to have to grow thicker skin if I am to participate in this message board.

Updated On: 6/25/15 at 06:30 AM

whatacharacter Profile Photo
whatacharacter
#142Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 6/25/15 at 8:09am

He has a Grace Jones quality, don't you think?

Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#143Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 6/25/15 at 8:13am

"Honestly don't know how anyone can be both. They seem mutually exclusive."

I honestly don't see a shred of sense in that statement. Care to explain further?

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

HedwigInch
#144Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 6/25/15 at 9:18am

Really like the photo but I am not sure I see Hedwig in it just yet.

skies Profile Photo
skies
#145Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 6/25/15 at 2:45pm

The first promo photos are primarily just a setup, don't think you can get much feel for the actual characterization.

Wondering on Taye's approach on the character, he certainly doesn't seem a girly boy at all. However Michael Hall wasn't exactly a physical wisp of person either and he did more than fine.

HedwigInch
#146Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 6/25/15 at 3:04pm

"The first promo photos are primarily just a setup, don't think you can get much feel for the actual characterization.

Wondering on Taye's approach on the character, he certainly doesn't seem a girly boy at all. However Michael Hall wasn't exactly a physical wisp of person either and he did more than fine.

"

Yes, this is very true. I find this casting choice very interesting and intriguing.

Also yes, I wonder what the presence of Taye's Hedwig will be like since he is quite built and has strong masculine qualities. Michael C Hall did too. Definitely curious.

HedwigInch
#147Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 6/25/15 at 3:04pm

Weird double post. Oops.

Updated On: 6/25/15 at 03:04 PM

CarlosAlberto
#148Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 6/25/15 at 3:42pm

Sorry, I get defensive when people (whether on purpose or accidentally) erase Darren's race just because he is white passing.

Darren isn't passing for anything. He has a universal look and the type that can easily get cast in a wide range of roles. 

I find it odd why you would think that anyone would want to "erase" Darren's race.

I also find it odd that you would get defensive about it even if that were the case, are you Filipino by any chance?

HedwigInch
#149Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 6/25/15 at 3:55pm

I don't want to get too off topic here since this thread is about Taye but I know that Darren fans are very "sensitive" about this subject. Sensitive isn't the right word since Darren's race and roots should be respected and fans have every right to want to clear things up when it's about his race.

I am assuming fans, especially those with Asian roots, are proud of having a Filipino on Broadway and on TV and since a lot of people seem to not see his Filipino roots (it's definitely way more obvious with his brother) they feel a stronger need to let people know that Darren isn't white.

So yes, Darren and Taye are both men of color. I think a lot of people who go see Darren as Hedwig aren't aware of that though since nothing in the script was changed. I am assuming they might for Taye, they did at least add a line for Rebecca if I remember correctly.

Videos