News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Mother Courage at CSC

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#275Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 6:49pm

I'm sure she gladly takes those checks. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

smidge
#276Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 6:55pm

And she can always go back on welfare when the acting checks dry up

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#277Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 7:27pm

Every statement she makes makes it seem that she has a lot of trouble separating the stage from reality. 

Updated On: 1/9/16 at 07:27 PM

broadwayboy223
#278Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 7:29pm

I love Tonya but she shouldn't have made a further statement. I fear this will not bode well for her :/

PattyO'Furniture Profile Photo
PattyO'Furniture
#279Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 8:33pm

Potts states that I, "...insisted on being called 'Momma..." which he spells like the disrespectful 'Yo Momma.' I asked to be respectfully called 'Mama' as in Mama Nadi in RUINED. A term of respect for women of a certain age in the Congo.

Wait - is this a thing now?  People can asked to be called whatever they want at work?  Yippy skippy - Monday morn-ting, I will be Kitty Softpaws.  

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#280Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 8:49pm

I thought she was asking to be called Mama Courage instead of Mother Courage. No need to invent more crazy when she's already giving it in abundance. 

FindingNamo
#281Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 8:49pm

Oh no.  Here comes PhyllisRogersStoneStalkedMe.Com

I'd love to know how the very notion of the disrespectful spelling came up, but then again, I really don't.

Now I kinda wanna change my screen name to DisrespectfulMomma.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none
Updated On: 1/9/16 at 08:49 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#282Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 9:06pm

Oh, Tonya.  I love your work enormously but you just need to STFU.  It's the whole LaJolla THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE and Broadway transfer ordeal of CAROLINE OR CHANGE crap again.  Is there ANY production you get involved with that'll agree with you?   

Geez, Louise.  You sho' iz crazeeee, gurl!  

Chefcorvette Profile Photo
Chefcorvette
#283Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 9:12pm

For true insight read Jesse Greene's New York Times article The Trials of Tonya Pinkens May 2004

you will be astonished 

it informs all of this   kushner,J Tesori,  G Wolfe provide insight. GW had a rocky early relationship with TP and fired her and rehired her on Jelly's Last Jam. 

TP self describes as Insane at times. 

Not to be missed

TP even conducted workshops for industry iPod to  share her sect based aggressive philosophies.  

J Greene's article clarifies many issues. 

Updated On: 1/9/16 at 09:12 PM

FindingNamo
#284Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 9:15pm

I'm surprised this is new to folks.  That's what I've been alluding to this whole time but really, for ME, it's all about the WORK.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
FindingNamo
#286Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 9:48pm

For the rest of my life, if I think I am being insulted, I am going to ask the insulter how they spelled the word that offended me.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#287Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 9:49pm

I hadn't heard the Caroline stories, but I had heard other things over the last few years and I just assumed she was a diva. 

I agree it's about the work, but in this instance, it prevented the work from occurring- and it seems like it's been a struggle for a while to allow the work to occur.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Theater3232
#288Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 10:11pm

The racist and sexist language she used is simply disgusting and appalling.  I think severe mental health issues are at play here.  I don't think anyone would ever hire her again.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#289Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 10:25pm

I don't think she was ever racist or sexist. I'm going to take the banal route and say that I wasn't in the rehearsal room, so I can't judge. The only thing I will say about her second statement is that I don't think the bitchiness towards Potts was at all warranted. I certainly don't think she's insane, though. If you read the Greene article she says that at times she was driven insane by her divorce proceedings and the custody drama. I think that could be said of everyone at some point in their lives, right?

In Youtube videos from the Caroline rehearsal room I am repeatedly struck by how articulate and strong she seems. Maybe these statements are those qualities run amok. Either way, anyone who can perform Lot's Wife like that doesn't have to do another thing in their career, as far as I'm concerned.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

FlowerChild67
#290Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 10:34pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "It's the whole LaJolla THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE and Broadway transfer ordeal of CAROLINE OR CHANGE crap again.  Is there ANY production you get involved with that'll agree with you?"

There's so much to comment on with this ordeal, and I'm going to refrain from writing any of it, but I do have to ask: what happened with the transfer of Caroline or Change? 

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#291Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 11:03pm

She wanted more money. I think something like 15k a week.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#292Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 11:08pm

It's all in the article above. 

wonkit
#293Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 11:12pm

She clearly has very strong principles. But they may get in the way of further employment. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#294Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 11:45pm

15k for Caroline isn't totally absurd, considering Ceveris is getting 10k for a very less demanding part in Fun Home, but that's after it became a hit. She should have worked for scale until the Tonys, etc. But she totally should have won that Tony. She might be crazy but she can turn it out. I saw her at 54 Below and we were a hoping for a Lots Wife but instead she did some super arty cabaret piece that was incredibly boring. 

perfectliar
#295Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/10/16 at 12:21am

GlindatheGood22 said: "Either way, anyone who can perform Lot's Wife like that doesn't have to do another thing in their career, as far as I'm concerned."

Not another thing? So she should live off the royalties of your memories of that performance, or...? Actors have bills to pay too.

Chefcorvette Profile Photo
Chefcorvette
#296Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/10/16 at 12:04pm

Ljay~thanks for posting the Jesse Green link that I mentioned. I had difficulty. 

Reading that article clarifies so many issues, beliefs, attitudes and experiences that relate to this topic. 

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#297Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/10/16 at 12:53pm

I think Ms Pinkins is a product of our culture and power structure. I don't think anyone would argue that women with strong opinions make a lot of people uncomfortable. Some on this bored want to ignore history and act like women of color have an equal voice in the arts. It's really not the case. We can see that from what gets produced and who produces it and who directs it. The woman of color has the least representation or prospective out there. I just believe Pinkins is saying something a lot of people have wanted to say but don't out of fear of  being labeled difficult or "playing the race card" or "gender card".  Really read between the lines and think about what she is really saying. It's unfortunate a specific situation like this has to be the reason the conversation has to be had but if it helps make some people see the problem of the lack of voice for women artist in an industry than so be it. Please don't tell her to be quiet and not tell her experiences, that's the problem in the first place. Her point of view and experiences matter.  

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#298Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/10/16 at 12:57pm

I wonder if she ever wishes she finished law school. 

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#299Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/10/16 at 5:55pm

No amount of change is ever going to be enough for Pinkins.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

Videos