News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Mother Courage at CSC

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#50Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 12/30/15 at 5:03pm

Sure, that's true. I just meant that based on the information given in the posted article.... it appeared that the artistic director wanted it to be a general situation and Tonya Pinkins wanted it to be specific. I'm making assumptions based on very little information, which is obviously foolish. 

Additionally... She's quoting as saying "My Mother Courage was left speechless, powerless, history-less..." " a delusional woman trying to do the impossible" Which I thought, to some extent, was the point of Mother Courage.

Curious as to what everyone else thinks.

Jesus saves. I spend.
Updated On: 12/30/15 at 05:03 PM

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#51Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 12/30/15 at 5:03pm

I live almost 3,000 miles from where this dispute took place, but in the AP article, Ms. Pinkins comes across as a spoiled diva who doesn't realize that even if you have a Tony Award, it is your job to serve the director's vision of a play. Actors should of course (politely) discuss any differences of interpretation with their director, but ultimately, it's the director's decision, not the actor's.

Furthermore, although taking a "white" play and resetting it in Africa (with a white director with a black cast) was inevitably going to result in some tricky conversations in the rehearsal room, it seems that Ms. Pinkins is simply playing the "race card" in order to abandon a production she knows is a bomb. A real professional would have stuck it out until the end. Shame on her.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#52Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 12/30/15 at 5:06pm

Double post.

Updated On: 12/30/15 at 05:06 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#53Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 12/30/15 at 5:09pm

Kad said: "Setting Mother Courage in a realistic depiction of the Congo- or any location- isn't what the play is about, and isn't the play Brecht wrote. "

That's a valid contention. What we (or at least I) don't know is who stepped into that trap. If (as it seems) Kulick chose to set it in Africa with a black Courage, then did he inherently violate what you say about the play? And if that is the case, it is not surprising that the black actor he employed to dress his set would want to own her blackness. Perhaps there is another side to this that is eluding me but that's what I am seeing here. Regardless, I think Pal Joey summed it up best: tis a mess.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#54Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 12/30/15 at 5:18pm

Granted, the information in the AMNY article is limited, but the vibe I was getting from it was that Pinkins wanted a realistic, deep portrayal of the setting Kulick imposed. I think both sides are wrong here- there's no reason to impose such a contemporary, politically-loaded setting on a play that doesn't comment on it, but if that is imposed you can't act as though you're starring in Ruined.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 12/30/15 at 05:18 PM

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#55Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 12/30/15 at 5:20pm

Agreed! On all fronts. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#56Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 12/30/15 at 5:20pm

More power to her. If a director is screwing with a classic -- get out.

Updated On: 12/30/15 at 05:20 PM

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#57Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 12/30/15 at 5:35pm

Again, she was clearly wanting the classic to be screwed with. Power to no one. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

Ranger Tom
#58Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 12/30/15 at 5:40pm

Looks like she doesn't get Brecht and definitely doesn't get the powerlessness of Mother Courage. Sounds like she needs to wait for a bio-drama of Oprah to come out and then politic for the role. I'd be interested to hear the truth from Ms. Dukakis.  

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#59Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 12/30/15 at 5:59pm

I believe she was speaking metaphorically when she wrote the director neutered Mother Courage and left her powerless and delusional. I believe that was Tonya Pinkins saying the director was trying so hard to micromanage and control her actions as an actor, leaving her with no agency or power as an actor to give the kind of performance she is capable of. She means her performance was left with no agency to engage with the revised setting in a way that felt true to her as an African American performer.

The TL: DR snarky reading is white director demanded his black actors parrot back his interpretation of what it's like to struggle to survive in a war-torn African nation.

There might be artistic value in this vision, but clearly communication failed here.

Updated On: 12/30/15 at 05:59 PM

LightsOut90
#60Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 12/30/15 at 6:42pm

Why is Tonya surprised at this being filtered through the white gaze CSC is easily the worst theater in new york when it comes to diversity, this is what the first all black production they have ever done in like 40+ years right?

Updated On: 12/30/15 at 06:42 PM

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#61Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 12/30/15 at 7:30pm

Awkward that they're going to have to change the key art as well since Tonya's face is inside Africa.

Mother Courage at CSC

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#62Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 12/30/15 at 8:05pm

LightsOut90 said: "Why is Tonya surprised at this being filtered through the white gaze CSC is easily the worst theater in new york when it comes to diversity, this is what the first all black production they have ever done in like 40+ years right?"

all black≠diversity

I don't think they are some paragon of diversity but they are also not as bad as you make them out to be.

neonlightsxo
#63Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 12/30/15 at 8:23pm

HogansHero said: "Kad said: "Setting Mother Courage in a realistic depiction of the Congo- or any location- isn't what the play is about, and isn't the play Brecht wrote. "

That's a valid contention. What we (or at least I) don't know is who stepped into that trap. If (as it seems) Kulick chose to set it in Africa with a black Courage, then did he inherently violate what you say about the play? And if that is the case, it is not surprising that the black actor he employed to dress his set would want to own her blackness. "

Good points both. Whoever's idea the Congo was, Kulick's perhaps?, then that is the root of the problem. By hiring Tonya to portray an African situation, she wanted it to represent her roots. Why is that being a diva? 

I'm not sure Kulick understands Brecht or what Tonya is mad about, judging by this statement:

http://www.classicstage.org/blog/2015/12/30/director-brian-kulicks-response-to-tonya-pinkins-leaving-mother-courage-and-her-children/

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#64Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 12/30/15 at 9:26pm

Walking out on a production is the very definition of unprofessionalism. It's diva behavior on the most disgusting level.

broadwayboy223
#65Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 12/30/15 at 9:26pm

After reading her full statement I'm not sure she was wrong in her opinion. 

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#66Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 12/30/15 at 9:34pm

After reading her full statement I'm not sure she will ever work again. Her comments regarding RASHEEDA SPEAKING were rather acerbic.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#67Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 12/30/15 at 9:39pm

Her full statement is enlightening and her departure is clearly the result of a lot of soul searching and her lack of power. I am happy my previous comment was false. This is why she is one of my favorite actress of all time.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

neonlightsxo
#68Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 12/30/15 at 9:44pm

South Fl Marc said: "Walking out on a production is the very definition of unprofessionalism. It's diva behavior on the most disgusting level."

Did you even read Tonya's statement that was just posted? Check your white privilege. 

I agree with her leaving the production after being treated that way. And Brian Kulick seems completely incompetent. I'm with Tonya. 

Updated On: 12/30/15 at 09:44 PM

JackiesBroJoe Profile Photo
JackiesBroJoe
#69Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 12/30/15 at 9:46pm

I fully support Tonya after reading that full statement. Also, anyone else notice that Brian Kulick's "statements" are mostly quotes from THE EMPTY SPACE? LOL. 

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#70Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 12/30/15 at 9:58pm

I make a statement about my thoughts on an actress walking out on her contract and you bring up " white privileges"?. Pathetic. Directors and actors have disagreements all the time. 

I stand by my statement, walking out of a production is unprofessional. I just feel sorry for the rest of the cast who are only pawns in this ridiculous drama 

CurtainsUpat8 Profile Photo
CurtainsUpat8
#71Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 12/30/15 at 10:18pm

I have been reading this thread and I don't think anyone has brought this up... why would her contract be up on Jan 3 if they aren't even opening until Jan 7th? Doesn't make sense to me. I have seen other productions directed by Mr. Kulick and he seems like a fine director to me. I am sure he isn't a theatrical moron. I don't think she should have brought Olympia Dukakis into the article, even if she did invite her to watch. I don't like the racial tone of any of this either.

NewsiesForever Profile Photo
NewsiesForever
#72Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 12/30/15 at 10:41pm

South Fl Marc said: "I make a statement about my thoughts on an actress walking out on her contract and you bring up " white privileges"?. Pathetic. Directors and actors have disagreements all the time. 

I stand by my statement, walking out of a production is unprofessional. I just feel sorry for the rest of the cast who are only pawns in this ridiculous drama 

Here, Here. Pinkens is being a drama queen. And I feel bad for mess that her 'issues' have created for the cast and crew

"

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#73Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 12/30/15 at 10:46pm

this point has been made several times in this thread, in several different ways (once by me), but ultimately the responsibility always falls on the director, especially where, as here, he is also in essence the producer. Setting the merits aside, the obligation of a producer and director in relation to a star (especially one who is clearly the raison d'être of a production, is to articulate the "vision" and flesh out any concerns rather than assuming they'll work out in the wash. And as to "professionalism," I see it quite the opposite: a professional is someone with integrity, who doesn't do work that they can't represent.Would that there were more such professionals. Oh, and by the way, the theatre is not a plantation...

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#74Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 12/30/15 at 10:50pm

ClydeBarrow said: "After reading her full statement I'm not sure she will ever work again. Her comments regarding RASHEEDA SPEAKING were rather acerbic.

"

^ This. 

Videos