News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NBC's ANNIE LIVE! (2021) - News & Discussion Thread- Page 15

NBC's ANNIE LIVE! (2021) - News & Discussion Thread

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#350NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 10/27/21 at 3:03pm

Lolz. Some people can't deal with change and the low key racist statements are very interesting. 

smallvillefan16
#351NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 10/27/21 at 3:55pm

Am I the only one here who sees a traditional red Annie finale dress and curls?  Every version of Annie has their version of the red dress -- outside of 1977 and 20th Anniversary (which was a carbon copy of original) have had different version -- all are red with some type of white---and all have Annie's hair in some type of ringlets or tight curls.  People are complaining about the most bizarre issues -- especially ones that are inaccurate....

jlindsey865 Profile Photo
jlindsey865
#352NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 10/27/21 at 4:27pm

I’ve ALWAYS hated the Aileen Quinn-style wigs that so many productions insist on using.

I appreciated the updated look in the Disney made-for-TV adaptation and in this live adaptation as well.

I’m really excited about this! I love Annie - especially during the holiday season.

BwayLB
#353NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 10/27/21 at 4:40pm

^ I appreciate the updated look and I’m a bigger fan of 1999 than I am of 1982.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#354NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 10/27/21 at 5:11pm

BwayLB said: "^ I appreciate the updated look and I’m a bigger fan of 1999 than I am of 1982."

Well, the 1999 ABC Disney version was an adaptation of the original 1977 Broadway production.  The 1982 film adaptation used elements of both the original Harold Gray comic strip (Punjab and Asp characters), along with the Broadway musical and switching things up: the kidnapping plot, changing the ending to Fourth of July, etc.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#355NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 10/27/21 at 5:54pm

Sutton Ross said: "Lolz. Some people can't deal with change and the low key racist statements are very interesting."

Lolz. Some people see racism where it isn't because they can't get it out of their mind. It's kinda deranged you can't see costumes have nothing to do with race, and this actresses hair could easily be styled in a traditional Orphan Annie manner (you've never seen an Afro? pretty much the same style). 

Updated On: 10/27/21 at 05:54 PM

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#356NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 10/27/21 at 5:57pm

smallvillefan16 said: "Am I the only one here who sees a traditional red Annie finale dress and curls? Every version of Annie has their version of the red dress -- outside of 1977 and 20th Anniversary (which was a carbon copy of original) have had different version -- all are red with some type of white---and all have Annie's hair in some type of ringlets or tight curls. People are complaining about the most bizarre issues -- especially ones that are inaccurate...."

Annie's collar wasn't rounded at the tips. Also, the belt is traditionally white, too. It looks like....well, the cartoon image someone else has posted aboe And, no, prior to the Rob Marshall production, every professional production has used pretty much the identical design, including the John Huston movie (though the collar was shorter). It's an essentially 20/30's-style collar that you can see in a lot of fashion magazines and movies of the period. 

VintageSnarker
#357NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 10/27/21 at 10:01pm

Sutton Ross said: "Lolz. Some people can't deal with change and the low key racist statements are very interesting."

I feel like the cat eye glasses and handkerchief hem are going in one direction and the cardigan and flower print are going in another. It's like they're splitting the difference between Carol Burnett and Kathy Bates. 

Sutton Ross
#358NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 10/27/21 at 10:37pm

What a great comment. You're exactly right!

smallvillefan16
#359NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 10/30/21 at 6:22pm

joevitus said: "smallvillefan16 said: "Am I the only one here who sees a traditional red Annie finale dress and curls? Every version of Annie has their version of the red dress -- outside of 1977 and 20th Anniversary (which was a carbon copy of original) have had different version -- all are red with some type of white---and all have Annie's hair in some type of ringlets or tight curls. People are complaining about the most bizarre issues -- especially ones that are inaccurate...."

Annie's collar wasn't rounded at the tips. Also, the belt is traditionally white, too. It looks like....well, the cartoon image someone else has posted aboe And, no, prior to the Rob Marshall production, every professional production has used pretty much the identical design, including the John Huston movie (though the collar was shorter). It's an essentially 20/30's-style collar that you can see in a lot of fashion magazines and movies of the period.
"

So basically you're complaining because of a belt color and if a collar has pointed or rounded tips? That's pretty hilarious and a little bit desperate.  It's also weird because the 1999 version is the one that least resembles the 77 version (color, material, collar) and reason most high school and regional productions use the basic costume is because it's cheaper to either make or buy. The 2012 version is also different from the very comic book look of the 77/97 versions.   So, basically, you're just upset that they aren't following something already done in 77 and 82? You do you, boo.

Updated On: 10/30/21 at 06:22 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#360NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 10/30/21 at 7:29pm

Does it read as "Annie"?

Yes.

That's all the matters.

We are so far removed from the source material comic strip at this point, does it even matter, anyway?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 10/30/21 at 07:29 PM

BrodyFosse123
joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#362NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 10/30/21 at 8:18pm

Kad said: "Does it read as "Annie"?

Yes.

That's all the matters.

We are so far removed from the source material comic strip at this point, does it even matter, anyway?
"

It matters to me. And I've had this complaint since the Rob Marshall t.v. version (which is where I think changing the dress and hair stems from). It erases Harold Grey completely from the work that originates with him. There isn't a whole lot of Little Orphan Annie in Annie, and that's fine, but there should be something left.

Sutton Ross
#363NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 10/30/21 at 8:25pm

So no, it does not matter. 

iluvtheatertrash
#364NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 10/30/21 at 11:03pm

As someone who literally spent every single day with Charles Strouse (for over a year, and yes this is accurate), Joe is wrong. It’s just fine. He’s delighted. And this will be terrific.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#365NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 10/31/21 at 12:20am

Yeah, Strouse, who's response to the idea of a Little Orphan Annie musical was "That's the worst idea I've ever heard!" probably doesn't care. I do. I hate the loss of any connection to the original strip, as it means Harold Gray is being eclipsed from the work he inspired. 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#366NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 11/12/21 at 9:36am

Unexpected casting tidbit:

https://twitter.com/LeighTVReporter/status/1459150446237556745

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#367NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 11/12/21 at 9:46am

Free tickets to attend the taping on 12/1 and the live broadcast on 12/2, in Bethpage, Long Island:

https://onsetproductions.com/calendar/details.aspx?showID=601

Updated On: 11/12/21 at 09:46 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#368NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 11/12/21 at 10:00am

TaffyDavenport said: "Free tickets to attend the taping on 12/1 and the live broadcast on 12/2, in Bethpage, Long Island: https://onsetproductions.com/calendar/details.aspx?showID=601"

INTERESTING. This indicates to me that they're doing something that more resembles a stage production filmed for a live audience like JCS Live, not filming it like a "live movie" (there's probably a better term) as with Peter Pan and The Wiz. The Live musicals with a real audience have been much more energetic and exciting, so this is a win for me.

BrodyFosse123
#369NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 11/12/21 at 4:12pm

Also, a heads-up regarding tickets: it’s not the standard first-come, first-serve situation - you have to qualify in order to get tickets.  They ask for a photo and you have to write up something to apply for tickets.  You’ll be told a few days prior to the airdate if you are getting tickets.  They offer the 3pm filmed dress rehearsal or the live 8pm broadcast.  A zip code is also required so looks like they will narrow it down to those living in the NYC area.  

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#371NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 11/12/21 at 5:42pm

Talk about a bombshell announcement! 

Megan Hilty Steps In As Replacement For Covid-Struck Jane Krakowski In ‘Annie Live!’

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Sutton Ross
#372NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 11/12/21 at 5:50pm

Holy GOD she will slay. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#373NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 11/12/21 at 5:55pm

Poor Jane Krakowski! Hope it is a mild case and a speedy recovery...

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#374NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 11/12/21 at 6:05pm

Obviously, sad news about Jane Krakowski, who I’m sure would have been great. But Megan Hilty is consistently even better than you know she’ll be, somehow. So this is a win for the production.

This isn’t meant as a slight to Krakowski. Hilty is just that good.

Videos