News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

NY NY casting

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#25NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 7:19am

I’m sure I’ve seen Jeremy Jordan mentioned.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#26NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 8:24am

muscle23ftl said: "I disagree, this musical is famous, the name of the show is the name of the city, the legendary film had LIZA in it, with Deniro and a famous director. The songs NY NY, The world goes round, The man I love, Happy Endings, are absolutely iconic. It would be nice to have a star in it, Anne Hathaway would sell the s*** out of it, but it will sell well without stars. It's like Funny Girl or Moulin Rouge, they sold ok without stars (I didn't know Benie, so she wasn't a star for me, of course a real star like Lea with talent, sells much better) and Karen Olivo although a talented and known Tony Award winning Broadway star, not sure if she was selling the show, the movie and Lady Marmalade were selling the show, and they are still selling it even though the show is terrible."

The movie "New York, New York" is famous but for all the wrong reasons.

Let's face it, the film is not considered a classic by any means by the general public on the level of say, "The Sound of Music"  or "West Side Story". The only song that is known to the general public outside of the film is "New York, New York" - and they know it not from the film, but from a cover version recorded by Frank Sinatra.

The general public knows zilch about the original film let alone any of the other musical numbers from it. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#27NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 8:44am

Mark_E said: "I’m sure I’ve seen Jeremy Jordan mentioned."

He'd help sell tickets. But if he's attached, why not make a casting announcement already? This show is so hush-hush.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Theater3232
#28NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 10:12am

Do investors typically put up their money before or after the casting is announced? They may want to wait until after casting is announced.

Updated On: 12/29/22 at 10:12 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#29NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 10:23am

Theater3232 said: "Do investors typically put up their money before or after the casting is announced? They may want to wait until after casting is announced."

Money can be raised up until opening night. The producers (two of the savviest in the biz: Sonia Friedman & Tom Kirdahy) have been raising money for a year+ before this was announced. No doubt the potential investors know the principal cast (or at least the type of names they'll be casting). So while they probably aren't FULLY capitalized yet, I'd be surprised if they aren't more than 1/2 of the way there...though this is a $25M capitalization, which feels eyewateringly high. (That's a MUSIC MAN-level budget, for comparison, though NYNY's weekly running costs will be far lower than MM.)

Updated On: 12/29/22 at 10:23 AM

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#30NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 11:31am

David10086 said: "So what NYNY needs is Beyonce and Will Smith in the title roles to sell tickets. Well, maybe not Smith..."

With Beyonce as New York and Smith as the other New York? smiley

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#31NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 11:38am

Oh God, not Beyonce trying to act again. Anything other than that.

MemorableUserName
#32NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 12:16pm

I doubt she'd be interested, but it feels like Alicia Keys would be the most logical stuntcasting.

edited to add, because evidently this came across as a serious suggestion (!), I was kidding. Alicia Keys...singer of another famous song with a "New York" refrain...  Obviously not going to happen, nor should it.

Updated On: 12/29/22 at 12:16 PM

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#33NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 12:40pm

Once again I will say...you won't get a big name to star in a new musical. There are too many unknown variables to contend with and you are setting yourself up for major criticism. 

MemorableUserName
#34NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 12:50pm

...We are aware. None of the big stars whose names are being thrown around are plausible. Just having some fun. I apologize if that's not allowed on a message board.

Bill Snibson
#35NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 12:56pm

No, no, no. You are in the known however a lot of people on these threads don't fully understand how it works.  Didn't mean to offend. Apologies. x

Famebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
#36NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 1:05pm

I thought Anne Hathaway was the reason this is happening? Is she not attached anymore?  
Yes, I know she wasn’t publicly announced, but it’s a poorly kept rumor on these streets.  

bwaylvsong1
#37NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 1:27pm

Famebroadway2 said: "I thoughtAnne Hathaway was the reason this is happening? Is she not attached anymore?
Yes, I know she wasn’t publicly announced, but it’s a poorly kept rumor on these streets.
"

The casting breakdown for the standby states that the actor must be black, though it could be because she would cover another role.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#38NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 1:41pm

Imagine trying to sell "New York, New York" while NYC itself continues to face a crumbling reputation with one lackluster administration after another. Risk your life to see the NYC as it was decades ago! 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Bill Snibson
#39NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 1:43pm

I'm curious...I'm almost 50 and don't know this movie AT ALL! Is this a well-known story that I just missed along the way? I'm hopeful that this one is a gigantic secret that surprises Broadway and re-invigorates a "must-see" mentality. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#40NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 1:50pm

No. Read my post before about the films availability and “popularity”. 

JSquared2
#41NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 2:19pm

everythingtaboo said: "Imagine trying to sell "New York, New York" while NYC itself continues to face a crumbling reputation with one lackluster administration after another. Risk your life to see the NYC as it was decades ago!"

Or you could also turn off Fox News, get a grip, and actually take a look through the lens of REALITY.

Bill Snibson
#42NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 2:44pm

Jordan Catalano said: "No. Read my post before about the films availability and “popularity”."

Gotcha, JC. So this is a *insert expletive" crap shoot!  I hope the powers that be have thought this through and figured it out but I do imagine that they are all sweating right about now about taking this on.

BCfitasafiddle
#43NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 3:48pm

Anna Uzele and Jeremy Jordan are great talents and no doubt be fabulous together. If its them, I'll be excited.

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#44NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 4:34pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "Anna Uzele and Jeremy Jordan are great talents and no doubt be fabulous together. If its them, I'll be excited."

I would be too, but our excitement won’t create a 1.5-2 million weekly box office. 

pmensky
#45NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 4:48pm

I agree that non A-list movie star would do a new show like this, but I think they need an A-list Broadway actor in the lead. Has Krysta Rodriguez been mentioned for this? Between her stage and television work, including playing Liza in Halston, I think she would be a great fit.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#46NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 4:59pm

Bill Snibson said: "Once again I will say...you won't get a big name to star in a new musical. There are too many unknown variables to contend with and you are setting yourself up for major criticism."

Well this is a depressing statement. But apparently a true one, based on other responses to it. Stars only do revivals now? I will say, this is probably not true if a big composer is involved. Sondheim never had trouble getting stars to be in new shows, and Lloyd Webber doesn't. Miranda hasn't used stars, but that may be more about the kind of shows he does (which require younger, more popular music-oriented signing styles).

Lola Getz2 Profile Photo
Lola Getz2
#47NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 5:15pm

joevitus said: "Sondheim never had trouble getting stars to be in new shows, and Lloyd Webber doesn't. Miranda hasn't used stars, but that may be more about the kind of shows he does (which require younger, more popular music-oriented signing styles)."

What were the last original shows Sondheim or Webber produced that had "stars"? I can't think of one, with the possible exception of Sunset Blvd 30 years ago.  And as for LMM, what has he produced since his skyrocket to superstardom with Hamilton? 

pmensky
#48NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 5:19pm

Lola Getz2 said: "joevitus said: "Sondheim never had trouble getting stars to be in new shows, and Lloyd Webber doesn't. Miranda hasn't used stars, but that may be more about the kind of shows he does (which require younger, more popular music-oriented signing styles)."

What were the last original shows Sondheim or Webber produced that had "stars"? I can't think of one, with the possible exception of Sunset Blvd 30 years ago. And as for LMM, what has he produced since his skyrocket to superstardom with Hamilton?
"

And Sunset Boulevard already had a full production on the West End before Glenn Close decided to do it, so there was already evidence of potential success. She didn’t go in blind.

DaveyG
#49NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 5:20pm

Famebroadway2 said: "I thought Anne Hathaway was the reason this is happening? Is she not attached anymore?
"

Good grief. 

Videos