News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!- Page 3

Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!

WesternSky2 Profile Photo
WesternSky2
CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#51re: Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!
Posted: 4/19/09 at 12:32am

Both ladies were fantastic ! Interesting how time and the human condition can so sadly go awry.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#52re: Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!
Posted: 4/19/09 at 12:36am

The movie was perfection....Drew and Jessica are shoe-ins for Golden Globes and Screen Actors Guild. Stunning on all levels. I wept as well. Such an indelible portrait of love, both the healthy and unhealthy aspects. The last scene between Big and Little Edie was a sob-fest...Im counting the days to DVD and special features and deleted scenes Its a shame this wasnt released in theatres. :)

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

bwayguy22089
#53re: Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!
Posted: 4/19/09 at 12:40am

When Drew started to cry in the middle of the movie... ugh, it got to me. while she was in the kitchen... that's when I lost it lol. I just felt so bad.

dramadude Profile Photo
dramadude
#54re: Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!
Posted: 4/19/09 at 12:54am

Maybe I'm a little too detail oriented, but I couldn't help but notice both Barrymore's and Lang's lower teeth in their older years. I'm bothered by the remarkable makeup, but the lack of detail of one minor feature: each woman's top set of teeth are fake, but you can clearly see their whitened bottom teeth simultaneously as they speak. Minute in the grand scheme of things, but distracting.
Updated On: 4/19/09 at 12:54 AM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#55re: Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!
Posted: 4/19/09 at 12:56am

My only question...HOW/WHY did Daniel Baldwin get cast? Did someone owe him a favor?

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#56re: Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!
Posted: 4/19/09 at 1:04am

Just made me miss the musical.

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#57re: Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!
Posted: 4/19/09 at 2:26am

I wish it hadn't ended with Edie's cabaret show. I was in tears after the premiere of the documentary and then the cabaret act just seemed so comical. Other than that, I thought the tone of the film?and the obvious love for the Edies?was beautiful.

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

bwayguy22089
#58re: Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!
Posted: 4/19/09 at 2:31am

Well, did you watch up until the END end? After the credits... SPOILER lol... there is an image of Little Eddie sitting on the stage, in the dark, by herself. To me, it was so moving. I'm happy the movie ended on an upbeat, but there was still that little moment of torment up until the very end. I loved that little detail re: Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#59re: Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!
Posted: 4/19/09 at 3:05am

Yes, I did watch the whole thing. I still wish it had ended after the documentary's premiere.

I ALWAYS read the credits to every film I watch. So I even heard Drew shout (in her Edie voice), at the very end, "No animals were harmed in the making of this film!"

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars
Updated On: 4/19/09 at 03:05 AM

RentBoy86
#60re: Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!
Posted: 4/19/09 at 3:14am

I thought it was SOOOOOO GOOD! The music, the movie, ugh, it was beautiful. I really thought they were all great, and the story will always remain so interesting. I didn't know that Jackie O came and revamped the place. That was interesting to me. And I thought Jessica Lange was freaking brilliant! And I also didn't know about the whole loosing her hair thing. Barrymore handled that part so well. So it was due to stress? Or just an "illness?"

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#61re: Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!
Posted: 4/19/09 at 3:19am

Little Edie had Alopecia. Edie's frantic episode of cutting off her hair is what I heard was fake.

J'aime GG Profile Photo
J'aime GG
#62re: Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!
Posted: 4/19/09 at 4:30am

Gorgeous, haunting film. It took a little while to find its footing, but once you get used to the time switches and Drew's performance it all came together and was very moving stuff. It beautifully compliments the documentary and the musical in laying the story out and showing (in a nutshell) just how the Edies got to be so wacky. Amazing costumes and sets as well- did a tree branch really grow through the roof and into Big Edie's bedroom??

I will revisit it over and over again. J'aime Grey Gardens.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#63re: Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!
Posted: 4/19/09 at 7:36am

I love the movie so much. I think I dreamt about it last night. Will Chase is excellent. Actually Drew Barrymore was good (just a tiny complain-that sometimes I see her in the role-though I am very happy about her performance)

Jackie O's "supposedly" visit to Grey Gardens is very funny. The gonnorhea line was just out of this world!

I will revisit the movie again today! Actually this just reinforce my love for the whole Grey Garden's documentary & musical.

The musical will premiere here in Boston at Lyric Stage and hopefully I get to see it again!

This HBO movie better freakin' win some awards like their HBO's John Adams. Lange
oughta win the Emmys for this! so with Production Design!

Lastly.. I love how they show the house getting deteriorated at the end. Vines growing inside the house. Racoons and Cats..wow! just magnificent. I felt like this movie really fills some gap between the documentary and the broadway musical when it comes to production design. i really felt like ..their house really smells bad and its really in bad bad condition! (that the documentary really did not capture the deterioration because they started filming after it was repaired already, but still in bad condition)

For those who love the documentary and the musical- you guys wont be disappointed. you will hear familiar lines drawn and shots reminiscence of the documentary. It will make you smile and make you cry at the same time.

J*

Updated On: 4/19/09 at 07:36 AM

dg22894
#64re: Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!
Posted: 4/19/09 at 8:51am

it was great.

It will be on demand on Tuesday

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#65re: Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!
Posted: 4/19/09 at 9:20am

Right after the movie, they said it would be on "HBO On Demand" starting Monday:)

Also, in the musical, Little Edie runs away right after Big Edie ruins her engagement party...is that made up?

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#66re: Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!
Posted: 4/19/09 at 9:48am

The first act sequences in Grey Gardens, the musical were fabricated and created to happen in one day as opposed to singluar events that occured within their lives. Eg: Mr. Beale leaving Big Edie did not happen the exact day of Edie's coming out party. The Engagement party was completely fabricated and there is speculation that Little Edie was never even engaged to Joe Kennedy.

And I did like that they ended with her caberet act for a variety of reasons. I think, firstly it gave us great insight into the act which isn't documented very well at all and second it really showed Edie basking in the light! I didn't see that scene as comical at all, maybe because I take the Edies seriously.

While I was aware the entire time that it was Lange and Barrymore playing the roles I was also very coscious of Ebersole as well. Not that it took anything away but the real Edie was just THAT iconic. For some reason, Mary Louis Wilson never had that effect on me. As in, I never thought "oh that's Mary Louis Wilson playing Big Edie".

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson
Updated On: 4/19/09 at 09:48 AM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#67re: Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!
Posted: 4/19/09 at 10:06am

Does anyone know why they didn't use the phrase "revolutionary costume of the day"? Was that in the musical only? I seem to remember that from the documentary...am I wrong?

kazacalo Profile Photo
kazacalo
#68re: Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!
Posted: 4/19/09 at 10:13am

I thought it was excellent. Jessica Lange was amazing. Drew was very good but I felt overdid the accent sometimes.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#69re: Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!
Posted: 4/19/09 at 10:16am

PJ, "Revolutionary costume" was in the documentary too. "This is the revolutionary costume... I never wear this in East Hampton." My thinking is that the filmmakers might have left it out since that is so synonymous with the musical. I love that phrase though.

Updated On: 4/19/09 at 10:16 AM

Drewprecht Profile Photo
Drewprecht
#70re: Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!
Posted: 4/19/09 at 10:26am

Jaystarr - Will Chase isn't in the movie...I think you mean Malcolm Gets.

This movie is completely brilliant! I hope it wins many Golden Globes and SAG Awards!

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#71re: Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!
Posted: 4/19/09 at 11:11am

Gypsy-I agree, sometimes you cannot help recognizing a big star in a role. For instance, every time I saw Paul Newman in a film, I constantly knew it was Paul Newman playing a role. Playing it very well, of course.

I knew every second of Cabaret that it was Liza playing Sally Bowles. Yet, I thought it was one of the best performances I've seen on film.

Recognizing a star doesn't detract from a good performance, to me.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#72re: Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!
Posted: 4/19/09 at 11:11am

PJ, It's been so long since I've seen the documentary so I'm not quite sure if Little Edie uses the exact phrase "revolutionary costume" in the film (or where exactly), but in the scene recreated for the HBO movie she doesn't. Here's the clip from the doc I found on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG5baCxTtgw&feature=related

Transcript: "This is the best thing to wear for today, you understand. Because I don't like women in skirts. And the best thing is to wear panty hose or some pants under a short skirt, I think. Then you have the pants under the skirt, and then you can pull the stockings up over the pants underneath the skirt. And you can always take off the skirt and use it as a cape. So I think this is the best costume for the day. *giggle* I have to think these things up, you know. *pause* Mother wanted me to come out in a kimono so we had quite a fight..."

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#73re: Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!
Posted: 4/19/09 at 11:13am

I didn't think Drew went over the top with little Edie's accent. I'm remembering the original documentary from the 70's and I think Drew had it right, if not understating it.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#74re: Reminder: GREY GARDENS on HBO, Saturday, April 18 at 8:00 PM!!!
Posted: 4/19/09 at 11:35am

I wonder why they didn't make this a big-screen movie. It would have been perfect. I enjoyed the whole thing. Great acting by the both of them.

Videos