News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

SHE LOVES ME Reviews

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#26SHE LOVES ME Reviews
Posted: 3/17/16 at 10:21pm

It's a Rave! I am so happy for this glorious production. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#27SHE LOVES ME Reviews
Posted: 3/17/16 at 10:37pm

With reviews like these they better not even think of NOT recording this production!

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#28SHE LOVES ME Reviews
Posted: 3/17/16 at 10:45pm

As Georg sings in She Loves Me, "Well, well, well, well, well-well-well-well!"

Seeing this next Thursday and I can't wait!

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#29SHE LOVES ME Reviews
Posted: 3/17/16 at 10:48pm

gypsy101 said: "With reviews like these they better not even think of NOT recording this production!"

YES. And I'm praying for the stars to align for an extension of this glorious production. I want to go back again and again.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#30SHE LOVES ME Reviews
Posted: 3/17/16 at 10:53pm

Cupid Boy2 said: "YES. And I'm praying for the stars to align for an extension of this glorious production. I want to go back again and again."

I've heard Roundabout frequently plans for extensions and you've read my mind: my trip to New York this year is currently scheduled for June 21-25 because we found Hamilton tickets in the middle of the week randomly. So I'm currently very sad I'll miss She Loves Me (one of my favorite shows). Fingers crossed for an extension!

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#31SHE LOVES ME Reviews
Posted: 3/17/16 at 10:54pm

Roundabout doesn't seem to do much wrong, at least from what I've seen of them. Anything Goes, Pajama Game, Cabaret (with Emma Stone!), 20th Century and now She Loves Me and Robber Bridegroom.They don't skimp on the stars, or the supporting cast and sets and costumes. Maybe a few more musicians would be nice.

I've come to expect a quality production that will be well received.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Holiday Inn in the fall. Doesn't seem promising to take a predictable, formulaic 1943 Irving Berlin scored film remembered only because Bing Crosby introduced "White Christmas" to the world, shovel in a few more of Berlin's greatest hits, and come up with anything except fluff.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#32SHE LOVES ME Reviews
Posted: 3/17/16 at 11:12pm

Loved Holiday Inn at Goodspeed so I predict that I will love it more at Roundabout based on their recent track record.

So happy and excited for the great reviews of She Loves Me.  I have tickets for April 2 and am chomping at the bit to see this.

Peter2 Profile Photo
Peter2
#33SHE LOVES ME Reviews
Posted: 3/17/16 at 11:16pm

Three cheers for Sheldon Harnick! At 91, he conquers Broadwat all over again, first with a fine revival of Fiddler, now with a great revival of She Loves Me. Such a very dear man, I'm thrilled for him!

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#34SHE LOVES ME Reviews
Posted: 3/17/16 at 11:20pm

PalJoey said: " 

As Georg sings in She Loves Me, "Well, well, well, well, well-well-well-well!"

Seeing this next Thursday and I can't wait!

"

PalJoey, unless I guess very wrong, you of all posters will have a lovely time at this production. 

It is whipped cream incarnate. 

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#35SHE LOVES ME Reviews
Posted: 3/18/16 at 12:02am

Honest to God! Has there ever been anything as great as Roundabout??  I'm so very very glad, but not surprised, they have another huge hit with "She Loves Me"!

We're seeing it on 3/30 ; husband and I can't wait! Benanti and Krakowski!

Where's My Shoe ?? Where's My Sharpie ??

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?
Updated On: 3/18/16 at 12:02 AM

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#36SHE LOVES ME Reviews
Posted: 3/18/16 at 12:21am

Congrats to All!

gfaustswa Profile Photo
gfaustswa
#37SHE LOVES ME Reviews
Posted: 3/18/16 at 12:53am

=)   happy for the show!  It is really a nice evening of theatre.  

@z5
#38SHE LOVES ME Reviews
Posted: 3/18/16 at 1:07am

Got $25 tickets for tomorrow night, ORCH row C. I didn't wanna see it but for that price, why not

gfaustswa Profile Photo
gfaustswa
#39SHE LOVES ME Reviews
Posted: 3/18/16 at 1:36am

@z5 ....you scored!   you'll love it!

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#40SHE LOVES ME Reviews
Posted: 3/18/16 at 1:54am

Oh, PalJoey, please post your reactions. I would love to know what you think.

This is one of those times when you see something early in previews and wonder if the reviews will match with the pure bliss of something that feels like such a special treat. I was grinning from the second the characters step on stage well into the evening. It is one of the most absolutely romantic and beautiful times I've had in a theatre (I've seen great harrowing, touching, and visceral theatre, but never something that is so blissful and genuinely lovely and romantic and beautiful and confident all at once). I am so excited the reviews match the kind of experience I had. Benanti, Krakowski, Levi, and the rest of the cast, crew, design team, and Ellis and Roundabout deserve major kudos. This was a stunning production, so glad to see the reviews matching that.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#41SHE LOVES ME Reviews
Posted: 3/18/16 at 2:14am

Melissa25 said: "Loved Holiday Inn at Goodspeed so I predict that I will love it more at Roundabout based on their recent track record.

Yes, I see the Goodspeed production received good reviews, generally saying that the excellence of the musical number more than made up for the story, and the story had been improved from the film.

Times:

Deft Footwork Updates a Classic

Times do change, so turning a corny, conventional 1942 movie musical like “Holiday Inn” into a 2014 stage offering does entail risk. But the final production of the Goodspeed Opera House season — and of Michael P. Price’s 46-year tenure as executive director — manages to step nimbly around the pitfalls. 

Mr. Greenberg and Mr. Hodge have interpolated other tunes from earlier and later in Mr. Berlin’s unparalleled output; they’ve smartly shored up the flimsy story; and they’ve given the movie’s bland female characters some personality while also strengthening the men, who were originally little more than outlines filled in by the charm and star power of Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/09/nyregion/a-review-of-irving-berlins-holiday-inn-in-east-haddam.html

Stu Brown

What elevates Holiday Inn is the superlative number of songs from the Irving Berlin songbook.  There is, of course, “White Christmas,” but the creators have wisely added such gems as “Blue Skies” (originally from the Rodgers and Hart musical,Betsy), “Heat Wave” (from his revue, As Thousands Cheer, which also introduced “Easter Parade&rdquoSHE LOVES ME Reviews, “Stepping Out With My Baby” (from the film Easter Parade), and “Let’s Take An Old-Fashioned Walk” (from Berlin’s 1949 stage musical, Miss Liberty).  These songs, along with those written explicitly for the movie, provide a cornucopia of listening pleasure. <b> It also makes you wonder why today’s composers can’t produce scores full of the simple, yet melodic numbers that Irving Berlin and his contemporaries pumped out so consistently.</b>

What! Today's composers can't write hummable tunes?

https://stuonbroadway.blogspot.com/2014/10/review-of-holiday-inn-goodspeed-opera.html

I guess we can expect even better from Roundabout.

I've also listened to Hello Dolly for the first time in many years, Melissa, and it's a lot stronger than I remembered. "Before the Parade Passes By," "Elegance," "It Only Takes a Moment," and Carol Channing singing "So Long, Dearie."

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#42SHE LOVES ME Reviews
Posted: 3/18/16 at 2:19am

Without a doubt this will extend through the summer and probably further. Although I imagine all the leads signed a 6 month contract? This will totally win Best Revival.

evic
#43SHE LOVES ME Reviews
Posted: 3/18/16 at 4:32am

Another NY Times Crix Pick?  I cannot decide on whether to see this or Disaster.

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#44SHE LOVES ME Reviews
Posted: 3/18/16 at 6:17am

Brilliant reviews. And even more brilliant that in NYC right now, one could see both SHE LOVES ME and FIDDLER ON THE ROOF on the same day!

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#45SHE LOVES ME Reviews
Posted: 3/18/16 at 8:16am

These reviews make be very happy that I bought my ticket back in January (saw it last Saturday and loved it).  Hope to see it again.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#46SHE LOVES ME Reviews
Posted: 3/18/16 at 8:49am

So delighted!

This show and its creators deserve all the recognition possible!

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#47SHE LOVES ME Reviews
Posted: 3/18/16 at 9:12am

ClapYo'Hands said: "Brilliant reviews. And even more brilliant that in NYC right now, one could see both SHE LOVES ME and FIDDLER ON THE ROOF on the same day!"

As someone who did, I can attest to it being a great way to spend a day! 

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#48SHE LOVES ME Reviews
Posted: 3/18/16 at 9:12am

I'm surprised the critics are referring to it as sugar and whipped cream. One of the reasons I like this show is because of the streak of darkness lurking underneath. The plot does after all include

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Two tawdry affairs, a violent suicide attempt, and a song/monologue about dismemberment. 

There's a very real chance these characters could have ended up dying alone. That they manage to find love without rewriting their personalities is one of the reasons the show is so satisfying.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
Updated On: 3/18/16 at 09:12 AM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#49SHE LOVES ME Reviews
Posted: 3/18/16 at 9:47am

I'm tingling such delicious tingles.

Videos