News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Unpopular opinions you hold- Page 19

Unpopular opinions you hold

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#450Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 4/1/13 at 4:59pm

I love “All Shook Up” and, to this day, think it is the jukebox musical that works the best (song wise).

“9 to 5” is severely underrated (and, as a working woman in a similar environment to the office in the show, any critics who feel the show is outdated should visit my work).

I don’t find “Avenue Q” funny.

Every week when I see the high grosses for “Phantom,” “Mamma Mia!” and “Chicago”, there is a part of me that wishes these shows would close so that it would force tourists to step outside their boundaries and see different shows when they come to NYC. (No, I do not wish for shows to close as they are providing jobs for many, I just wish these weren’t the shows that tourists flock to – I am not a fan of them at all and find them full of fluff. And, yes, I do realize that just because these shows aren’t there doesn’t mean that tourists will pick other shows – they may just skip Broadway all together, so at least they are attending theatre.)

I thought Bernadette was an excellent Sally.

And, a strong opinion I hold that I am realizing I am more and more in the minority on…I think Billy Porter is the worst part of “Kinky Boots” and sincerely hope he doesn’t take home the Tony for this role.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#451Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 6/14/13 at 9:21am

HANDS ON A HARDBODY deserved a longer run as , like the critics said, " it struck a fresh note for American musical theatre"

PHANTOM sounds like the same two songs. ALW peaked at EVITA and went downhill from there.

Deborah Cox was the best part of the recent JEKYLL & HYDE revival.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#452Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 6/14/13 at 10:31am

Kinky Boots is a textbook example of "the emperor is wearing no clothes".

The strongest relationship between its central characters begins with a "pity party":

Char 1: "Waah! Waah! My daddy doesn't appreciate me!"
Char 2: "Waah! Waah! My daddy doesn't appreciate me, either!"
Char 1: "We're the same! Let's be friends!"
and ends with two back-to-back, 11 o'clock numbers that demonstrate nothing has changed:
Song 1: "Even though I'm singing a song that lyrically capitalizes on a homophone for the bottom of a shoe, I still can't meet your expectations."

Song 2: "Even though I'm singing a song that's 99% identical to the David Foster/Linda Thompson/Whitney Houston hit, I Have Nothing, I still can't meet your expectations."
Updated On: 6/14/13 at 10:31 AM

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#453Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 6/14/13 at 10:32am

@ all of you: nope. still don't care. Unpopular Opinions

onedaymore Profile Photo
onedaymore
#454Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 6/14/13 at 10:45am

I cannot stand "Little Shop of Horrors", "The Drowsy Chaperone", or "Thoroughly Modern Millie". The only thing good about the latter two is that Sutton Foster was in them.

Also, "Newsies" is boring and "Matilda" should have won on Sunday night.

Whoever says money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop. - Bo Derek
Updated On: 6/14/13 at 10:45 AM

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#455Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 6/14/13 at 11:56am

I'm pleased that Kinky Boots won best score and I love the Matilda score but in all honesty, I believe A Christmas Story had the best score of the season.

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#456Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 6/14/13 at 12:03pm

Mandy P's voice makes my skin crawl. I could only stand him in The Wild Party where he played a creep.

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#457Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 6/14/13 at 12:05pm

Oh, yeah. I liked the On A Clear Day... revival.

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

gchris11
#458Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 6/14/13 at 12:08pm

I hated Matilda (here and in London).
I think that A Christmas Story was the Best show of the year and should have won the Tony.
I think that Hands On a Hardbody was probably one of the worst shows ever, next to A Tale Of Two Cities.

PTOPhan Profile Photo
PTOPhan
#459Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 6/14/13 at 4:43pm

I don't like "Into the Woods," and I don't see why they're bothering to make it into a movie.

The versions of "Phantom" (2004 movie and Las Vegas) where the chandelier falls at the end make more sense than the original.

You alone can make my song take flight.

RENT_is_Wicked2
#460Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 6/14/13 at 9:23pm

- I thought Evita should've won best revival of a musical besides Porgy & Bess

- I find The Producers totally overrated

- When Flashdance comes to Broadway it's still going to be the mess it is right now

- The first few stages of Wonderland were so much better than the Broadway production

- I thought Matilda was overhyped when it came to the Tony Awards

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#461Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 6/14/13 at 9:32pm

The Book of Mormon, The Producers, and Jersey Boys are severely overrated.
Drowsy Chaperone or Color Purple should have won Best Musical over Jersey Boys.
Any of the other 3 nominees should have beat Spamalot for Best Musical.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

jackieoh Profile Photo
jackieoh
#462Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 6/14/13 at 9:42pm

Victoria Clark was infinitely better than Bernadette Peters as Sally in FOLLIES. If she had revived the role instead of replacing BP, she surely would have gotten at the very least a Tony nomination.

NEWSIES is absurdly boring.

Jane Lynch is so much better than Katie Finneran was in ANNIE.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#463Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 6/14/13 at 10:10pm

Bernadette Peters was the best Sally evar!!11 She played a desperate, deeply disturbed, sad woman to absolute perfection. Her singing of "In Buddy's Eyes" perfectly captured the subtext of the song, more than is evident on any other recording of any other Sally. I will never understand why people did not like her in the role, and have concluded that it's because they simply find the character unlikeable. Wonderful, wonderful acting:

Unpopular Opinions

Unpopular Opinions

Glynis Johns' performance of Send in the Clowns is so ridiculously unpleasant on record. Bernadette's SEND IN THE CLOWNS is a perfect example of how you can sing and act at the same time. Glynis could act, but not sing.

Angela Lansbury was so much funnier than Elaine Stritch in A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC.

Ethel Merman's performance on the GYPSY OBCR is a perfect example of how you can sing but NOT act at the same time. Her "Everything's Coming Up Roses" is so tame, and does not even register compared to Bernadette's or Patti's performances.

The Kinky Boots score did not deserve its Tony win, and if Cyndi Lauper would like some lessons in how to write a musical score she need only turn to mediocre flops such as CARRIE and LEGALLY BLONDE.

I don't believe that everyone's opinion is 'equally valid'. People are more intelligent than others and DO know better than other people. I'm particularly referring to people who think that Sondheim fans are pretentious know-it-alls. Sorry (no I'm not really sorry), but I think the opinion of extremely talented, academic, intelligent Sondheim fans who go to Ivy-league universities (not referring to myself, but they do exist) are able to understand the complexities of his shows more than you are able to as a pleb.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 6/14/13 at 10:10 PM

Visceral_Fella
#464Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 6/14/13 at 10:11pm

I agree about Jersey Boys Brave Sir Robin.

Victoria Clark's voice doesn't excite me. I can tell she's got skill and I give her props, but it just does nothing for me.

jackieoh Profile Photo
jackieoh
#465Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 6/14/13 at 10:13pm

I think PASSION is Sondheim's best, rivaled only by FOLLIES.

gossipguy215 Profile Photo
gossipguy215
#466Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 6/15/13 at 1:07am

^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS. Love you!
Actually, it's the other way around for me: FOLLIES, then PASSION, but I could listen to them both for the rest of my life. Love Donna, wish Dorothy was still with us.

Fred Casely
#467Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 6/15/13 at 11:28am

I basically like Sondheim, but not Into The Woods or Company. My favorite of his scores are Follies, Merrily and Pacific Overtures.

Kander & Ebb define the musical theater of the 20th Century.

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#468Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 6/16/13 at 1:46am

most SONDHEIM musicals (COMPANY, the revised MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG, FOLLIES are some examples) have horrible books...they are classics due to SONDHEIM'S music

Owen22
#469Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 6/16/13 at 2:45am

I think Lea Michele is way more talented than Megan Hilty.

Updated On: 6/16/13 at 02:45 AM

gossipguy215 Profile Photo
gossipguy215
#470Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 6/16/13 at 3:13am

Broadwaybabywannabe2, have you read the original libretto of "Follies" (and I do mean original, not the castrated London version or the "Follies lite" version seen in the latest revival)? In only a few short scenes and monologues, James Goldman wrote what is one of the few perfect books for a musical out there (the others being "Gypsy" and "A Little Night Music"). My favorite part is the closing scene between Sally and Buddy ("Tomorrow? Oh, dear God, it IS tomorrow." (There is no hope at all)). Brilliant use of words and stage directions, which both Dorothy and Bernadette had to a t. But yes, Sondheim's scores ARE wonderful!

Visceral_Fella
#471Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 6/16/13 at 3:19am

Owen22 I think you may have just snagged the very most unpopular opinion award lol

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#472Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 6/16/13 at 7:22am

I don't like revivals, would much rather see new and hopefully fresh idea's on Broadway.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#473Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 6/16/13 at 10:19am

"I think PASSION is Sondheim's best, rivaled only by FOLLIES."

^This. Well Passion is my favorite score ever. I listen to the album all the way through.
I do love my Follies, but Passion is so gorgeous.

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#474Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 6/16/13 at 11:51am

Gossipguy125. I saw the original production of Follies on Broadway and even then I felt the book was flat just like in Company...To me there seemed to be a lot of bad set ups for songs. Dead space that would lead to a great Sondheim song. But then in Sweeney Todd it all flowed magically. As with A Little Night Music as well. Not all the books for Sondheim musicals are bad.

IMHO of course. Unpopular Opinions

Videos