pixeltracker

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway- Page 10

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#225ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 12:53pm

People scream and whine for Diverse Casting and then when it happens, they bitch about it (just a few on this board).

This casting is fresh, up to date and extremely Exciting.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#226ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 1:03pm

I'm still debating on seeing this. I just find the show to be pretty 'eh,' but I love Circle. And Lea. But feel like this will be done on the cheaper side.

orlikethecolorpurple
#228ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 1:13pm

tobiasragg said: "I asked God for Alex Newell as Asaka a year ago and SHE DELIVERED. This is maybe the most exciting cast of the entire next season; diverse, queer, non-binary. It's fresh and it's forward thinking. I LOUDLY applaud Craig Burns @ Telsey for bringing together this group of actors. What an astonishing thing to see.

Also, like are you kidding with "gender fluidity is a hot topic now"? Take all the seats and get the hell outta here."

Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes. 

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#229ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 1:17pm

So happy to see that Quentin is still involved with this.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

michaelhale
#230ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 1:38pm

Oh this casting is exciting and so fresh! I'm definitely going to have to see this. Newell is such a talent, excited to see him on stage, and Lea Salonga! Excitement!

WRT to the whole "it's a popular gimmick" thing- no other show, from what I've seen, is doing a lot of gender fluid casting lately? (Correct me if I'm wrong, though, I would be glad if this WAS a trend lol)It's not something I've heard talked about a lot either, so I'm not sure how this seems like a forced thing to grab tickets! 

Funny how any time any moves to casting in new, diverse ways is immediately written off as cringe-worthy and forced even when it's not a common move! Just say you are a traditionalist don't mask your questionable taste with a false sense of progressiveness.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#231ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 1:38pm

I think Quentin is so vastly talented and under-appreciated as an actor. This role is a good fit for him and I hope gets some attention for it.

#232ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 1:39pm

So funny that when I did the show in community theatre ALL the gods were played by women (due to a lack of men auditioning). This is very exciting casting, and makes me way more excited to see the show. The only person to announce left is Ti Moune, right?

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#233ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 1:58pm

Didn't watch Glee much so I'm not familiar with Alex Newell. Broadway World just posted him doing Asaka's big number from the show. Looks like rehearsal footage for something. OMG! Amazing. He's going to blow the roof off the theatre. Kecia Lewis-Evans was my favorite in this role but Mr. Newell is going to be the talk of the town.

Once on this Island is a story being told by the villagers to a little girl so having men play women and vice versa too makes perfect sense. Thank you director, Michael Arden.

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#234ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 2:00pm

This casting is so refreshing and diverse, I'm so glad we get to return to a fully poc cast this season. And Lea! I might as well just get tickets, but I'll wait until I see the Ti Moune actress announced. I hope the show gets tons of positive reviews+love, it definitely deserves that heart

Updated On: 8/9/17 at 02:00 PM

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#235ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 2:14pm

So, Alex Nowell for a nominee as Best Featured Actor?

I would love to see Tituss or even Amber Riley take over for him!

VintageSnarker
#236ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 2:39pm

I think Alex was oversinging a little in that video but it's super early and I'm sure he'll be reined in to fit the production better. He was great in the Jesus Christ Superstar concert so I'm not worried. I just don't get why they cast Dandridge as Papa Ge. I guess Arden has a vision. But right now it's unclear why you need to gender flip those two roles and not just let Alex play Asaka (which I know he can totally sing without changing the keys). Is something gained by having a woman play Papa Ge? 

I still wish Kenita had one of those beautiful solos but damn, Alex and Lea. 

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#237ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 2:44pm

Is anything lost by having a woman play Papa Ge?  I don't see how...at least textually. 

And the entire point of Mama Will Provide is to oversing the SH*T out of it and bring the house down.  Subtlety is not baked into that number's DNA.  

broadwayboy223
#239ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 3:09pm

Having done the show, I have to say I'm super excited, but to clarify all the characters in the story are storytellers. They are putting on the story of Ti Moune. The gods included. So they are human LOL. The casting works because the storytellers can play any of the parts so why not have fun with the gods?

VintageSnarker
#240ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 3:25pm

SonofRobbieJ said: "Is anything lost by having a woman play Papa Ge?  I don't see how...at least textually. 

And the entire point of Mama Will Provide is to oversing the SH*T out of it and bring the house down.  Subtlety is not baked into that number's DNA.  

No, not textually. It's one of my favorite shows but I haven't done a dive into it recently. I don't know how that part would or wouldn't fit a woman's vocal range and vocal texture. I don't recall a lot of baritone/bass parts but Papa Ge's songs have never been the most interesting to me. The gender flip does break up the divide between the more nurturing, loving female gods and the more menacing, destructive male gods. It's not like I'm wildly opposed to it. I just hope there's some reason. Because "why not" is not a great reason for making casting decisions. You want to believe there's some vision that makes that person the best choice for the role. Not f*** it, let's just do something random because we can. 

And I guess I prefer that number a little more effortless. But again, I don't foresee having an issue with it by the time I see the show. It's early. If they're still announcing casting they probably haven't started rehearsing yet.  

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#241ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 3:50pm

I'm pretty excited about this casting!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#242ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 5:01pm

The gender flip does break up the divide between the more nurturing, loving female gods and the more menacing, destructive male gods. It's not like I'm wildly opposed to it. I just hope there's some reason. Because "why not" is not a great reason for making casting decisions. 

I disagree insofar as I think 'well why not' can be a thrilling reason to cast someone, providing that the creatives can then deliver the goods.  And Arden seems to be a thoughtful director.  But look no further than what you noticed about the gender flip and it's taking destruction out of the hands of only men, and nurturing out of the hands of women.  I think that more than justifies this casting.  

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#243ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 6:54pm

SonofRobbieJ said: "The gender flip does break up the divide between the more nurturing, loving female gods and the more menacing, destructive male gods. It's not like I'm wildly opposed to it. I just hope there's some reason. Because "why not" is not a great reason for making casting decisions. 

I disagree insofar as I think 'well why not' can be a thrilling reason to cast someone, providing that the creatives can then deliver the goods.  And Arden seems to be a thoughtful director.  But look no further than what you noticed about the gender flip and it's taking destruction out of the hands of only men, and nurturing out of the hands of women.  I think that more than justifies this casting.  

Boy oh boy! What a cast!!!! TAKE MY MONEY....and Merle Dandridge back on Broadway is reason enough to celebrate! What a voice! And for those of you who haven't seen her on "Greenleaf" please do so because her work on that show is nothing short of extraordinary! 

behindthescenes2
#244ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/8/17 at 9:55pm

Alex Newell - a lot of screaming and sound but what was the song about - singing like that will not last 8 shows a week - diction and words still matter- we'll aee

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#245ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/9/17 at 2:47am

funhamilton_rent said: "I know they're trying to cast an unknown, but I feel like Cynthia Erivo would slay as Ti Moune. Might feel too obvious, but I can't find one reason why it wouldn't work.

"

What? She's in her thirties. She can play the grass for making your bed.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 8/9/17 at 02:47 AM

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#246ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/9/17 at 2:56am

I'm pretty sure someone suggested that she play Ti Moune on Twitter and she said something along the lines of "How about a role that isn't a black girl!?!" and then proceeded to bite the suggestor's head off and murder their entire family with a dull spoon.  Ya know like she usually does.

Basically, she's decided that she's above playing "black girls."

As for Alex, he actually sounds quite a lot like Lillias White who gave a sensational performance on the Tonys.  It's great to see some gender stereotypes broken.  I love seeing that!

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#247ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/9/17 at 7:49am

^ why do the Harriet Tubman movie, then? While I think I understand what Cynthia is wanting, I don't think she has a way of expressing that without sounding egotistical. She wants to do groundbreaking roles.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

stf777
#248ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/9/17 at 10:20am

I was sure that this would've been suggested already, but I didn't find anything when I searched the boards for it..... Wouldn't Brynn Williams be an incredible Ti Moune?

This is her singing Waiting For Life six years ago:

https://youtu.be/gsGhCYgq3Fg

And this is just a short snippet of Waiting For Life from  just two years ago (58 second mark):

https://youtu.be/KeyNOHkjg1w

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#249ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/9/17 at 11:13am

Denee Benton is free now and would be terrific. (I'd also like to see her Eliza Doolittle actually.)

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#251ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/15/17 at 12:01pm

Nothing more exciting than fresh talent! Can't wait to see her.

Videos