pixeltracker

MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews- Page 10

MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#225MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 2:42pm

Is the Embassy Ball the final scene of Act 1 or the first scene of Act 2? It usually ends the first act but sometimes people move it to the top of Act 2.

moira8
#226MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 2:43pm

Just won the lottery for this tonight. And after reading comments here, really looking forward to seeing this.

Ravenclaw
#227MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 2:48pm

ColorTheHours048 said: "The waltz at the top of act two is lovely. Other than that, it’s all pretty standard. It’s not a choreography-heavy show. Gatelli’s work serves the story only when it needs to, unlike Justin Peck’s choreography for Carousel, which is obtrusive at every turn."

So then they did the change the Trevor Nunn production made of putting the ball scene after the intermission rather than before? I like it better that way because it ends act one on more of a cliffhanger, and the first act is long enough as it is.

Were the dance arrangements the original ones, the ones re-written for the Trevor Nunn revival, or new ones done by Ted Sperling? And were the orchestrations the original? I assume they were, but Sperling wrote fantastic new orchestrations for the Fiddler revival which I actually like more than the originals, though it's hard to imagine new orchestrations being able to compete with the incredible Bennett originals.

jaybee3907
#228MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 2:49pm

Act I ends with them walking out the door.  Act II starts with the ball.

I won't spoil her costume, but will say I found it to be very pretty.  (Same can be said for all of her dresses.)

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#229MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 2:58pm

jaybee3907 said: "Act I ends with them walking out the door. Act II starts with the ball.

I won't spoil her costume, but will say I found it to be very pretty. (Same can be said for all of her dresses.)
"

Thanks Jaybee, delighted to hear this scene ends Act 1.  Dramatically that's always seemed the definitive choice.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#230MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 3:07pm

I think I read somewhere (Lerner’s memoir?) that it was always the authors’ intention to have the ball at the top of Act 2, but the set change back into Higgins’ house needed the intermission. The ball makes the first act LONG.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#231MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 3:09pm

Maybe that's why the movie has the intermission occurring after Eliza descends down the staircase with Higgins offering Eliza his arm and then they all walk out his door.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#232MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 3:11pm

So excited to hear that Act I ends with Eliza descending the staircase and the two of them leaving. Indeed, that marks a gorgeous dramatic climax.

I can't imagine moving the ball to the first act, especially for this production. My friend said Act I last night already ran a little over an hour and 45 minutes...

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#233MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 3:15pm

Are you able to see the pit/orchestra? Wasn’t in the South Pacific revival and (I believe) the king and I revival they had the pit open before the show started?
I couldn’t quite tell from the images on Instagram

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 3/16/18 at 03:15 PM

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#234MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 3:31pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Are you able to see the pit/orchestra? Wasn’t in the South Pacific revival and (I believe) the king and I revival they had the pit open before the show started?
I couldn’t quite tell from the images on Instagram
"

No. And I’m glad Sher doesn’t use this device again. It worked beautifully twice, but he has a few other tricks up his sleeve for this production MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#235MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 4:46pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "So excited to hear that Act I ends with Eliza descending the staircase and the two of themleaving. Indeed, that marks a gorgeous dramatic climax.

I can't imagine moving the ball to the first act, especially for this production. My friend said Act I last night already ran a little over anhour and 45 minutes...
"

Not to burst your bubble but she doesn't descend a staircase. She comes out of the multipurpose room.  

JIMG3
#236MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 5:02pm

Consider at least one bubble, having been burst.

degrassifan
#237MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 5:41pm

Interesting that Act One ends with them going to the ball (just like in the movie), which I think is better than the original Broadway production's first act ending with the ball. I read that the Act One ball cliffhanger is what the guests were whispering about and what made Higgins laugh so loud and hard, then the second act begins with You Did It. 

In "Show Me," does Eliza sing "Don't talk of June; don't talk of Fall; don't talk at all. Show me!," or does she sing "Please don't implore, beg, or beseech; don't make a speech. Show me!"? 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#238MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 6:38pm

I know this hasn't been talked about for a page or two, but thank god for the new ending!

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Higgins treats Eliza like crap and a total joke. Why the hell should Eliza end up with him? FFS, the last line in the show was (is?) "Where the devil are my slippers?!"

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#239MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 11:08pm

Seating wise, i'm all the way on the end nearest to the stage. How will my view be, do you think? I hate not being able to see all the way to the back of the set. 

the.hard.part Profile Photo
the.hard.part
#240MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 1:31am

RippedMan said: "Seating wise, i'm all the way on the end nearest to the stage. How will my view be, do you think? I hate not being able to see all the way to the back of the set."

I was the 3rd seat off the outside aisle and you can see pretty much everything, a few parts are slightly obstrucred for a moment or two but nothing lengthy.

the.hard.part
#241MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 1:32am

degrassifan said: "Interesting that Act One ends with them going to the ball (just like in the movie), which I think is better than the original Broadway production's first act ending with the ball. I read that the Act One ball cliffhanger is what the guests were whispering about and what made Higgins laugh so loud and hard, then the second act begins with You Did It.

In "Show Me," does Eliza sing "Don't talk of June; don't talk of Fall; don't talk at all. Show me!," or does she sing "Please don't implore, beg, or beseech; don't make a speech. Show me!"?
"

Show Me had the Don't talk of June; don't talk of Fall line.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#242MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 2:18am

Marry Freddy. 
What an infantile idea. 
What a heartless, wicked, brainless thing to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R_lv6_5Mvg

Updated On: 3/17/18 at 02:18 AM

moira8
#243MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 2:25am

Lottery seat was Loge Row B middle 100. Not sure if the whole row was lottery winners but the person to my right and the two people to my left were lottery winners as well.

Didn’t notice any problem with amplification at all.

I’m a big fan of Norbert Leo Butz so I’m absolutely thrilled seeing him give such an amazing performance.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#244MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 2:48am

Here's an Instagram shot of the show curtain/thrust stage without the Playbill. I'll bet it looks incredible in person.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgaMq-TjBda/?tagged=myfairlady

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#245MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 5:33am

Good Lord, I can't wait for April vacation! My son's first time to ever see MFL and his first time at the Vivian Beaumont.

It's going to be a great trip! Thanks for all the pix and thoughts.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#246MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 7:09am

I only pray the cast album is as good as the show seems to be. I’m so excited for Lauren, and must apologize for my disdain when she was announced. With reviews this good, I know I’ll just love her interpretation - and so thrilled to hear her voice is perfect for the role. This shall teach me to keep an open mind in the future!

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

the.hard.part
#247MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 8:11am

I wait anxiously for the recording to listen to Lauren Ambrose again!

She was simply joyful to watch, even when not the focal point I couldn't help but watch her little motions and expressions.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#248MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 8:50am

the.hard.part said:

She was simply joyful to watch, even when not the focal point I couldn't help but watch her little motions and expressions."

Absolutely! “You Did It” is now all about Eliza/Ambrose. Pay close attention to all the things she does while the rest of the cast sing that song. There’s a moment where she sits down and slowly undoes the tiara out of her hair. Her actions are slow and deliberate; when she has it out, Ambrose stares at it as if it were the oddest item in the world. There’s anger, but it’s directed at herself. Shame. Anxiety. Exhaustation. (All the bad emotions ha). It’s both glorious and painful to watch. Reminded me of Raul blowing the kazoo in Side By Side/What Would We Do Without You. This fun showstopper being undercut with a bolt of hurt so deep that you almost can’t clap after it. I’m getting misty-eyed even thinking about it now!

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

theatretenor2 Profile Photo
theatretenor2
#249MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 9:05am

How do the production values compare to Hello, Dolly?

Videos