pixeltracker

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)- Page 10

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

ElephantLoveMedley
#225The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:47am

FLarnhill said: "Chastain's winning Best Actress. Her play's been nominated for the big award while Prima Facie failed to get that. Sorry, Comer."

The literal current holder of the Tony Award for Best Actress in a Play would like to have a word with you about that.

jelsonbroadway
#226The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:47am

PipingHotPiccolo said: "more observations:
* With only 3 nominees for Play Revival, the choice to snub Sidney Burstein (and everyone in it aside from one standout supporting actress) is HEARD.

SIDNEY BRUSTEIN was nominated for Best Revival of a Play, (and Best Featured Actress). There are 4 nominees for Best Revival of a play, not three.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#227The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:51am

What show do we think will post the first closing notice?

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

SuddenlyStanley
#228The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:51am

Pippa Soo is The Snubbee of the Year here--- TWO brilliant portrayals of classic musical theater roles, ignored.
—Soo was not snubbed. She is fine. She gave two fine performances but nothing special. 

kurtal
#229The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:53am

By quick count:

SLIH - 12
& Juliet, NYNY, Shucked, Sweeney - 8
KA - 7
ITW, Parade - 6
Camelot - 5
KPOP - 3
Almost Famous - 1
1776, Beautiful Noise, Bad Cindy, Dancin' - 0

Plays

A Doll's House, Ain't No Mo', Leopoldstadt - 6
Cost of Living, Fat Ham, Life of Pi - 5
Christmas Carol, Good Night Oscar, Prima Facie, Topdog - 3
BRAC, DOAS, Piano Lesson, Brustein - 2
Ohio St, Summer 1976 - 1
Birbiglia, Peter Pan, Pictures from Home, Collaboration, Kite Runner, Thanksgiving, Walking with Ghosts - 0

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#230The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

Kail wasn’t nominated for Direction because the revival love is going to Into the Woods. No matter how people on here felt about it basically being a concert presentation, it was at the top of nearly every best-of list and was genuinely well-loved by audiences and critics. And that was largely thanks to Lear and the cast she assembled.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#231The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

• I bet those SLIH producers are taking a huge sigh of relief this morning.
  • And good to see Ain't No Mo complained their way to Tony nominations.
  • I'm a bit shocked about Adrianna Hicks though...

yyys
#232The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

Obviously Bad Cinderella.

Huss417 said: "What show do we think will post the first closing notice?"

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#233The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:56am

Solid list, minus the exclusions of Burnap, Soo, and Matarazzo.

GoldenGiggery
#234The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:56am

With Prima Facie being snubbed for Play, Jodie Comer is all but guaranteed to win Best Leading Actress in Play. 

InTheBathroom1
#235The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:57am

Sad Marcel Spears didn’t get in for Fat Ham :/

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#236The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

ColorTheHours048 said: "Kail wasn’t nominated for Direction because the revival love is going to Into the Woods. No matter how people on here felt about it basically being a concert presentation, it was at the top of nearly every best-of list and was genuinely well-loved by audiences and critics. And that was largely thanks to Lear and the cast she assembled."

Yeah, it feels like people have forgotten the production  at Encores and then with its initial Broadway cast was an event. People loved it, enthusiastically. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#237The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

Dancin’ posts closing first, if you ask me. Bad Cinderella bleeds money until Evita is ready to go just so ALW can keep up his streak. 

Oh look, a bibu!

PipingHotPiccolo
#238The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

SuddenlyStanley said: "

—Soo was not snubbed. She is fine. She gave two fine performances but nothing special.

"

We definitely agree that she is "fine"-- snubbed does not mean I'm worried about her well-being, or career, or even her feelings. 

noahseestheatre Profile Photo
noahseestheatre
#239The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:58am

This has me thinking KA is less of a bet for BM, and SLIH is closer than we think.

Updated On: 5/2/23 at 09:58 AM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#240The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:59am

Some Like It Hot - 13
& Juliet - 9
New York, New York - 9
Shucked - 9
Kimberly Akimbo - 8
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street - 8
Ain't No Mo' - 6
A Doll's House - 6
Into the Woods - 6
Leopoldstadt - 6
Parade - 6
Cost of Living - 5
Fat Ham - 5
Lerner & Loewe's Camelot - 5
Life of Pi - 5
Prima Facie - 4
A Christmas Carol - 3
Good Night, Oscar - 3
KPOP - 3
Suzan-Lori Parks' Topdog/Underdog - 3
Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman - 2
August Wilson's The Piano Lesson - 2
Between Riverside and Crazy - 2
The Sign in Sidney Brustein's Window - 2
Almost Famous - 1
Ohio State Murders - 1
Summer, 1976 - 1

Oh look, a bibu!

ElephantLoveMedley
#241The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 10:02am

noahseestheatre said: "This has me thinking KA is less of a bet for BM, and SLIH is closer than we think."

Most nominations doesn't always equate to the most or biggest wins. Jagged Little Pill was the most-nominated show of the 74th Tony Awards, and we know how that played out. Same for Mean Girls and SpongeBob at the 72nd Tony Awards.

Broadway61004
#242The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 10:04am

Kad said: "Yeah, it feels like people have forgotten the production at Encores and then with its initial Broadway cast was an event.People loved it, enthusiastically.

As you say, people have forgotten it. I'm not sure why Tony nominators always remember closed revivals (for musicals) but Tony voters never do. Which is why even with the Best Direction nod, I still think it's solidly in 3rd place behind Sweeney or Parade.

noahseestheatre Profile Photo
noahseestheatre
#243The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 10:04am

Yes I know that, but it really slightly underperformed. I will say SLIH is flashier, so it makes sense, but it also shows a lot of BTL support. Doesn't ALWAYS, yes, but definitely 13 compared to 8 is note-worthy.

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#244The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 10:05am

some intial reactions (based on my own opinions):

- Im so happy to see how much recognition for Ain't No Mo! It was brilliant and it's sad that it didn't find it's audience.

- Topdog's nominations are a pleasent surprise, though wish Brusteins and Summer 1976 got more.

- Musical Leading actor... tight tight race but Platt and Borle really blew me away this season

- I wish Kimberky Akimbo got more noms, but I'm not really sure which categories. I think it did good for what it's worth.

- Thanksgiving Play and Dancin should count their days, because they are numbered.

- Also very surprised by the amount of love for NYNY and Shucked, maybe it's finally time to check them out!

Overall nobody I'm a fan of got snubbed severely, as Soo didnt particularly impress me, though Fat Ham's leading man was a bit of a snub imo.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#245The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 10:06am

Broadway61004 said: "Kad said: "Yeah, it feels like people have forgotten the production at Encores and then with its initial Broadway cast was an event.People loved it, enthusiastically.

As you say, people have forgotten it. I'm not sure why Tony nominators always remember closed revivals (for musicals) but Tony voters never do. Which is why even with the Best Direction nod, I still think it's solidly in 3rd place behind Sweeney or Parade.
"

It’s the duty of the nominators to remember. These awards are for the whole season, not just for the shows that are running between February and April. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 5/2/23 at 10:06 AM

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#246The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 10:08am

noahseestheatre said: "This has me thinking KA is less of a bet for BM, and SLIH is closer than we think."

Yeah, no. We always knew this was gonna happen. KA was never a big contender for any of the technical awards or choreography. MAYBE sets, but it was never particularly likely. 

Really the ONLY surprising nom for SLIH for me was Borle in leading. 

WestEndGal
#247The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 10:10am

Pippa Soo is The Snubbee of the Year here--- TWO brilliant portrayals of classic musical theater roles, ignored.

"

Honestly I’ve personally never understood the Soo hype. I feel like Sharon D. Clarke is the biggest ‘snub’ although of course it’s all subjective!

inception Profile Photo
inception
#248The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 10:12am

Re: Soo & Camelot

Soo wasn't as flashy as some of these other nominated performances, & was hampered by the new book. 

I think the theatre at Lincoln Center can take a lesson from the neighbors at the Met about where they should be focusing their energy.  Forget these revivals - especially of troubled shows so difficult to fix.  Instead they should be the ones bringing in new works like  what the Met is doing with The Minutes or Champion.

Edit: that should say The Hours  not The Minutes

Re: ITW nominations, I'm more surprised by Patina Miller's snub.

Updated On: 5/2/23 at 10:12 AM

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#249The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 10:13am

"

Haven't seen Camelot but I very much disagree on ITW. I am never that interested in Cinderella (even in the OBC) and Soo did something different and interesting with the role that had me captivated. Honestly, it was the first time I've really ever enjoyed On the Steps of the Palace

Videos