pixeltracker

Mike Pence Gets "Boo'd" at HAMILTON Tonight- Page 11

Mike Pence Gets "Boo'd" at HAMILTON Tonight

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#250Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 10:44am

It's not like the cast of Hamilton refused Pence service. Not like he was part of a gay couple trying to get a wedding cake in Indiana.

Petralicious Profile Photo
Petralicious
#251Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 10:51am

I wonder what the reaction would be if the Hamilton cast had lectured Obama The same way about his drone killings in the Middle East

When They Go Low, I Go High

ukpuppetboy Profile Photo
ukpuppetboy
#252Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 10:58am

I would imagine the first person to 'publicly call out any foreign leader with a passive aggressive statement' would be PEOTUS on twitter, which isn't going to help anyone's cause over the next 4 years - but it seems you just can't come between a narcissist and his iphone.

Now that Mike Pense has gone on record as saying he was not persecuted and "bullied" perhaps we can all focus on the examples of ACTUAL persectuation and bullying that have been taking place in recent weeks and months. And heaven forbid Donald Trump can lay off using social media as his own personal kangaroo court.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#253Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 11:03am

After Eight said: "Their egomania, arrogance and conceit are often matched only by their cluelessness and rank stupidity."

Physician, heal thyself.

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#254Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 11:05am

Pence shouldn't have included the last line bc it's basically "I'm cool with it, but feel free to keep arguing about it". That's pretty weak. The first part was perfect and for better or worse, he's the calm (on surface)1/2 of this duo. 

fbueller
#255Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 11:09am

aaaaaa15 said: "Pence responds to the incident by encouraging everyone to go and see the show and saying how great it is. That boycott lasted long."

I'm sure Pence was really confused when the cast made the statement.  He was there as a guest and thought the show was over.  Pence made no comment the entire night.  The cast statement was inappropriate.

When Barbra Streisand was heckled by a political protestor at Madison Square Garden a few years back, she stopped her show and yelled "Shut the *$(# Up!"  She then had the man removed from the audience.

I wish someone in the audience would have called out for Brandon to stop when he was delivering the cast speech.  The speech never should have happened. If Pence had come backstage to meet the cast, this would have been the time for Brandon to have a conversation with him.

Updated On: 11/20/16 at 11:09 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#256Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 11:13am

Bitch, please. 

Sunny11
#257Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 11:22am

ErikJ972 said: "It's not like the cast of Hamilton refused Pence service. Not like he was part of a gay couple trying to get a wedding cake in Indiana."

As far as I understand it, the gay couple can get a wedding cake as long as the shop assistant isn't a fundamentalist christian who personally is against gay marriage and doesn't want to sell the cake to them  on that basis. It isn't like the whole state of Indiana has a blanket ban, it's an individual thing, they might have to go to a different store or go on line.  

I am not saying I agree with it but a similar principle is a muslim butcher refusing to sell you non halal meat. The law is protecting the individual business owners religious beliefs as long as there is flexibility in the market place for the consumer to get their required services elsewhere.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#258Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 11:33am

Except a Muslim butcher probably isn't going to carry non-halal meat in the first place. It's not a denial of service of the store doesn't have the product. And black people could just go to another restaurant that was willing to serve them, but that didn't mean segregation was ok.

Honestly, the lengths some people here are going to defend this deeply bigoted and evil person. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

ImAGeneralWEE
#259Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 11:34am

Sunny11 said: "

I am not saying I agree with it but a similar principle is a muslim butcher refusing to sell you non halal meat. The law is protecting the individual business owners religious beliefs as long as there is flexibility in the market place for the consumer to get their required services elsewhere.

"

That's not a similar principle at all. The Muslim butcher is selling a certain type of meat only; he's not deciding which of his consumers gets to purchase the meat. 

Consistency
#260Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 11:56am

"I am not saying I agree with it but a similar principle is a muslim butcher refusing to sell you non halal meat." 

That's not really a similar principle, since the Muslim butcher doesn't sell non-halal meat in the first place - and anyone (Muslim, Christian, Jewish, atheist) is free to buy (or not buy) what that Muslim butcher offers. 

I think we can all agree that a crafts store shouldn't be forced to sell cars if a gay couple requests it. The crafts store doesn't sell cars to anyone, so there's no discrimination taking place.

But that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about a business refusing to sell the products that it already makes. (It turns out there's not actually anything magical about a "gay wedding cake" that distinguishes it from a "straight wedding cake." The ingredients and preparation are the same.) 

I don't think most people actually want to live in a country where minority classes have to go from business to business to find someone willing to serve them. We've been through that movie before - it never ends well. It may not seem like such a big deal in NYC where there are a million different places vying for your business, but it could create quite a burden for someone living in a tiny conservative community in Indiana. In those cases, going to a "different store" that is willing to serve you may mean going to another town or county. That's not a burden anyone should have to deal with. 

Business owners are free to believe whatever they want. But when they're operating a business open to the public, it's well established that there are certain restrictions on how much they can discriminate based on "personal opinions." And that's a good thing. It protects vulnerable populations.

Updated On: 11/20/16 at 11:56 AM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#261Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 11:57am

Pence's response this morning was classy as hell.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#262Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 12:02pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Pence's response this morning was classy as hell.

"

Now I REALLY want trump impeached. Perhaps Pence did learn a lesson from the show.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#263Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 12:08pm

Trump is Burr, Pence is Jefferson. I'd rather know what I'm dealing with from the start. 

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#264Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 12:10pm

A little reminder on perspective.  The audience, not the cast booed Pence.  After the curtain call one cast member made this speech:

"Vice President-elect Pence, we welcome you and we truly thank you for joining us at 'Hamilton: An American Musical,'" Brandon Victor Dixon said. "We are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents, or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights, sir. We hope this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and work on behalf of all of us."

Trump called the show highly overrated and demanded an apology from the cast.

Pence told his kids that the cheers are boos are "what freedom sounds like" and said he listened to the short speech and was not offended.

If you still feel the cast was out of line, had no right to make the short speech addressing the VP Elect of their concerns (of which were entirely relevant to them personally as well as being issues specifically highlighted in the text and concept of the show based on American politics being performed) or should apologize, then it's pretty clear that you're not interested in perspective or context.  And if you think the short speech has set us back four years, then it's pretty clear that you're not interested in perspective or context.  This event will be forgotten in a month, for there are FAR bigger issues at stake directly involving the legitimate fears expressed in that short and relatively benign speech.  

How often have the alt-right described liberals as being "whiny" and "thin-skinned"?  I know I see that all the time.  And when a voice is heard in a public forum addressing a leader at an arts event engineered to open discussion on American politics and issues of race, immigration, war, freedom, liberty and even elections...AFTER the performance has concluded...then the alt-right suddenly perceives it as not only disrespectful and threatening, but DEMAND an apology?  And we're supposed to express ourselves in a more hipster love & peace form of leading by example that should somehow be even LESS benign because it would be MORE effective?

Perspective: even a little would go a long way.

Imagine if the leader of the foreign nation came to the U.S. to observe our message, and we called him out publicly with some passive aggressive statement and made him feel uncomfortable, embarrassed, and unwelcome. 

http://www.jta.org/2016/09/26/arts-entertainment/netanyahu-gets-cheered-and-booed-at-hamilton-performance

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 11/20/16 at 12:10 PM

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#265Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 12:11pm

Petralicious said: "I wonder what the reaction would be if the Hamilton cast had lectured Obama The same way about his drone killings in the Middle East"

It's a bit late for that now, but I would have been thrilled. The silence from the left on that issue has been stunning.  

Kinky Boy Profile Photo
Kinky Boy
#266Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 12:15pm

He should get boo'd everywhere he goes....

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#267Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 12:19pm

No one was "lectured", they made a statement, a plea.

The funniest part: if Pence was ok with it, why did Trump go off the rails?  maybe they should communicate. A little.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#268Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 12:20pm

All smoke and mirrors to distract from the important issues. President-Elect Pussy Grabber settled his Trump University lawsuit a few days ago for 25 million dollars. He never settles. The Hamilton story and pig man's tweets about it have conveniently overshadowed the Trump U story, which is exactly what it was intended to do. Why would anyone, millionaire, billionaire or otherwise, pay 25 million dollars if they feel they didn't do anything wrong and would have been acquitted if it went to trial?

Updated On: 11/20/16 at 12:20 PM

Back Row
#269Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 12:29pm

Petralicious said: "I wonder what the reaction would be if the Hamilton cast had lectured Obama The same way about his drone killings in the Middle East

I'm pretty sure that President Obama would not have responded by going straight to Twitter and behaving like a petulant child. The most important thing to take away from this is not whether what happened in the theater that night was or was not appropriate. The bigger issue is that the oversized orange toddler who will be our next President apparently has no interest in transitioning from fifth grade playground bully mode into something that might be even a little presidential. This guy is going to make George W. Bush look like Abe Lincoln in comparison. 

schubox
#270Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 12:32pm

fbueller said: "aaaaaa15 said: "Pence responds to the incident by encouraging everyone to go and see the show and saying how great it is. That boycott lasted long."

I'm sure Pence was really confused when the cast made the statement.  He was there as a guest and thought the show was over.  Pence made no comment the entire night.  The cast statement was inappropriate.

When Barbra Streisand was heckled by a political protestor at Madison Square Garden a few years back, she stopped her show and yelled "Shut the *$(# Up!"  She then had the man removed from the audience.

I wish someone in the audience would have called out for Brandon to stop when he was delivering the cast speech.  The speech never should have happened. If Pence had come backstage to meet the cast, this would have been the time for Brandon to have a conversation with him.

"

Except he's not a regular guy. He's the VP elect. He works for the public. Listening to this people is part of his job. Think that the cast acted inappropriately all you want, but this is part of his job now. You don't think people come up and tell Obama and Biden **** all the time? Are they supposed to tell them to shut the **** up too?

It was after the show, it didn't affect anyone's ability to enjoy the show. It's no different than the Broadway Cares spiel they do. 

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#271Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 12:39pm

He's paid the $$ hasn't actually admitted he did anything wrong.  Money makes this time of suit go away  and he can't afford to be bogged down in the details when he's gonna run a country .

Actually, I wonder if it IS his $$. Think about it -10 of his billionaire @hole buddies pony up 2.5 mill each?. Chump change for them to keep access to the highest office .

SporkGoddess
#272Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 2:01pm

Can you really say that Pence was there as a "private citizen" if he only got tickets because of his position?

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#273Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 2:12pm

fbueller, did you vote for Trump? Is this why you've been so upset?

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#274Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 2:21pm

Call_me_jorge said: " . . . Now I REALLY want trump impeached. Perhaps Pence did learn a lesson from the show."

I'm more scared of the adult in the room whose response was civil and appropriate but whose policies are tinged with hate than the petulant child who shows us his backbone by taking on a Broadway musical.  At least the child doesn't lull us into complacency and misplaced trust.  Jorge - Pence is a skilled politician.  Please don't be fooled.

Videos