pixeltracker

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)- Page 12

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#275The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 11:51am

The puppet design for Life of Pi are nominated in Costume Design of a Play, so I doubt they will also receive a Special Tony Award. Usually that would take them out of consideration for competitive Tony categories.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#276The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 11:52am

After seeing CLYDE'S last year, I don't know that I would have expected Kara Young to become a 2x nominee within consecutive years, but happy for her!

noahseestheatre Profile Photo
noahseestheatre
#277The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 11:57am

Also, just realizing this is Audra's landmark 10th nomination, tying her with Julie Harris and Chita Rivera for the most nominated performer in Tony's history!

sppunk
#278The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 12:01pm

A few thoughts:

- Sad I didn’t get to catch Cost of Loving 
- Sweeney Todd nominated for best sound is an absolute joke - wtf? It’s the worst sounding show I w ever heard on Broadway 
- Why Hecht but not Linney? Makes no sense to me 
- NY, NY is … not good. So many noma to rewards lazy work
- Soo didn’t get shafted by not being nominated in Camelot - she sang well but a forgettable performance like all the rest. But she was sooo good in ITW and that feels like a big miss. 

Updated On: 5/2/23 at 12:01 PM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#279The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 12:08pm

The book nomination for NEW YORK, NEW YORK is utterly laughable.

I still can't believe that got in somehow. I would've nominated literally ANYTHING else over that.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#280The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 12:20pm

Skywalker3 said: "How about the 0 nominations forA Beautiful Noise?"

Yet it may end up one of the longest running shows of this season.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

JSquared2
#281The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 12:23pm

Jumpin_J said: "Personally, the Tonys are a fraud and showed how awful they are this year. I'm sorry, but Death Of A Salesman was amazing. It took risks that no other revival did with incredible performances from Wendall Pierce and especially Sharon D Clarke. It got great reviews. So what do the Tony people do to acknowledge this? One nomination to Wendall and a tech nomination? Are you (bleeping) kidding me? What a slap in the face. Instead, they put in Sidney's Burnstien Window? Does anyone honestly believe that all the nominators got in to see it two days before the "cut off" date which is now meaningless? The nominating committee should be ashamed and embarrassed. I certainly have zero interest in watching the show. I'll read the recap the morning after. Let them sell their $3000 orchestra seats and have people shlep up and back from the Heights. Shame. On. Them."

Are you done with your tantrum, skippy?  Looks like someone needs a nap!  LOLZ

Broadway61004
#282The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 12:42pm

chrishuyen said: "When are the special Tony awards usually announced? Curious if the puppets for Life of Pi/Milky White could get recognized there a la King Kong or if they'd go a different route.

"

The puppet designers for Life of Pi were jointly nominated as part of the costume design team (very odd decision to loop them in together, but that's what they went with). So I'd say it's a pretty safe bet they wouldn't get recognized separately as well.

Ensemble1683026879
#283The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 12:42pm

All around a big win for &Juliet I think!

buffalospeedway
#284The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 12:45pm

Rooting for Audra and Wendell. A lot of people seem to think that Best Actress in a Play is going to be a Comer/Chastain smackdown, but Audra is a Tony darling and should never be counted out.

I would have liked to see Best Revival of a Play and Scenic Design nominations for Ohio State Murders.

Hopping aboard the Sharon D. Clarke outrage train!

Everyone is talking about Soo but I was more surprised by Nathan Lane and Jeremy Pope. (Especially the latter, who was great as Basquiat).

Some Ain't No Mo' thoughts (not sure if they need to be spoiler-ized since the show has closed, but just taking precautions): 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

I didn't care for Ain't No Mo' overall - the abortion stigma in the second scene took me out of it - but Crystal Lucas-Perry was absolutely the standout in the ensemble and her nomination is very deserving. She was totally committed and fully embodied each character she played. And she was the emotional center of the prison scene. Leaving 1776 early was clearly a good career choice lol!

And Uzele sang the score better than Ryan in NYNY.

Updated On: 5/2/23 at 12:45 PM

jimmycurry01
#285The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 12:47pm

Jumpin_J said: "Personally, the Tonys are a fraud and showed how awful they are this year. I'm sorry, but Death Of A Salesman was amazing. It took risks that no other revival did with incredible performances from Wendall Pierce and especially Sharon D Clarke. It got great reviews. So what do the Tony people do to acknowledge this? One nomination to Wendall and a tech nomination? Are you (bleeping) kidding me? What a slap in the face. Instead, they put in Sidney's Burnstien Window? Does anyone honestly believe that all the nominators got in to see it two days before the "cut off" date which is now meaningless? The nominating committee should be ashamed and embarrassed. I certainly have zero interest in watching the show. I'll read the recap the morning after. Let them sell their $3000 orchestra seats and have people shlep up and back from the Heights. Shame. On. Them."

You should demand to speak to a manager.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#286The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 12:49pm

Random thoughts, some of which echo what others have said:

- I"m surprised enough voters actually saw Ain't No Mo' for it to get so many nominations. Hopefully that will help it have more regional productions. However, because only a very small percentage of the actual voters will have seen it, I can't imagine it will win anything.

- Clearly Coltan Ryan and Christian Borle clearly tied for the fifth slot. I'm glad a young up and comer got a nomination, but Ryan getting nominated and Uzle being snubbed seems weird to me

- Phillipa Soo probably split the votes in her two categories. However, this doesn't feel like a "snub" to me. She already has as Tony nomination for Hamilton and a great career. She will live.

- Sharon D. Clarke not getting nominated for an awards-bait role like Linda Loman is odd. Perhaps if the show were still running her chances would have been better?

- There's only like 24(?) nominators and something like 250(?) voters, so there will be some surprise winners. However, since Thomas Kail wasn't even nominated for his direction of Sweeney Todd, I feel like that makes it winning Best Revival unlikely, and decreases Groban's chance of winning. I think it will be Ghee, especially since choosing them can be a "representative" award since SLIH, despite getting the most nominations, probably won't win anything except maybe choreography.

-1776 getting completely shut out has got to hurt. The production was very bold with its direction and all female/non-binary cast and seems like it was a very emotional affair for all involved, and for it to get NOTHING feels like a real F-you. 

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#287The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 12:56pm

The Best Revival of a Musical winner s impossible to predict, IMO.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

Broadway61004
#288The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:00pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "
- There's only like 24(?) nominators and something like 250(?) voters, so there will be some surprise winners. However, since Thomas Kail wasn't even nominated for his direction of Sweeney Todd, I feel like that makes it winning Best Revival unlikely, and decreases Groban's chance of winning. I think it will be Ghee, especially since choosing them can be a "representative" award since SLIH, despite getting the most nominations, probably won't win anything except maybe choreography.

-1776 getting completely shut out has got to hurt. The production was very bold with its direction and all female/non-binary cast and seems like it was a very emotional affair for all involved, and for it to get NOTHING feels like a real F-you.
"

There's actually 39 nominators and around 830 voters, which is still small enough for some surprises to occur, but not quite that bad.

As for 1776, bold or not, that production was a train wreck that should be erased from memory as quickly as possible. 

jimmycurry01
#289The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:02pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "

-1776 getting completely shut out has got to hurt. The production was very bold with its direction and all female/non-binary cast and seems like it was a very emotional affair for all involved, and for it to get NOTHING feels like a real F-you."

1776 had lackluster reviews, disappointing individual ticket sales, and poor word of mouth. People found the concept to be confused and unsure of what it was wanting to say. It may have been an emotional experience for those involved, but that does not make it worthy of awards, nor does it mean that its lack of nominations is a big F-you. It was simply seen as not great and far from one of the best by this group of people.

Broadway61004
#290The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:03pm

buffalospeedway said: "Hopping aboard the Sharon D. Clarke outrage train! Jessica Hecht was warm and charming, but I would have swapped her with Clarke.."

Clarke was up for featured, so it wouldn't have been Hecht who took her spot. But I agree she should have been nominated.

SuddenlyStanley
#291The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:04pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "SuddenlyStanley said: "

—Soo was not snubbed. She is fine. She gave two fine performances but nothing special
We definitely agree that she is "fine"-- snubbed does not mean I'm worried about her well-being, or career, or even her feelings.
"

—I didn’t think that. In general I just find her serviceable in the parts she played this season and not surprised she was edged out. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#292The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:04pm

I'm so happy for Jordan Cooper, Justin Cooley. Colton Ryan, Corey Hawkins, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, and Jordan Donica for their well deserved nominations. All brilliant talents.

Love the love for Ain't No Mo, Kimberly Akimbo, and the well deserved nomination for Almost Famous for Best Original Score. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#293The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:06pm

Surprised Oscar and Rachel from The Sign in Sidney Brustein’s Window didn’t make the cut. They’ll survive, but wasn’t the reason the show transferred largely because of their performances?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#294The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:06pm

The nominators are obligated to see every eligible production in a given season or else recuse themselves from voting at all. This is spelled out in Section 5.a.ii of the Rules and Regulations. So it isn't surprising that they all got to see, for example, Ain't No Mo' or The Sign in Sidney Brustein's Window. There were 40 nominators this year, winnowed down from a longer list as people had to recuse themselves. The entire list is on the Tony site and Gold Derby.

SuddenlyStanley
#295The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:07pm

Honestly I’ve personally never understood the Soo hype. I feel like Sharon D. Clarke is the biggest ‘snub’ although of course it’s all subjective!"

Same page both accounts

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#296The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:11pm

A reminder the nominating and voting for Tonys are not like the Oscars.

In Oscars, each field nominates and everyone votes on winners. Hence, a lot of nods shows strong support in every branch of the Academy.

In Tonys, it's ~40 nominators, who see everything. Then there's ~800 voters, who try but don't always see everything (and they took away the requirement this year). Most importantly, since the nominators are only 5% of the voters, a lot of nods does not predict winners. That's how a Slave Play (or Scottsboro Boys, or The Life and so on) can get the most nods and win few or none.

Also, the 6 nominees for Actor in a Musical indicates a tie, which expands the number. And the tie only needs to be within 10%, so ~4 votes.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#297The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:12pm

yyys said: "Obviously Bad Cinderella.

Huss417 said: "What show do we think will post the first closing notice?"

"

Dancin' would like to enter the chat

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#298The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:15pm

First of all, Clarke getting snubbed is freaking ridiculous considering the praise she got. The two other surprises for me were Camelot getting in for a nomination for Best Revival of a Musical over Bob Fosse's Dancin' despite the clearly polarizing reviews it got. But I guess it's understandable considering that it is Lincoln Center Theater we're talking about. Second, was Sweeney Todd getting nominations for Best Choreography and Sound Design considering that everyone on here was mixed about the former and were negative on the latter.

This is going to be interesting all right, and I couldn't be more excited.

buffalospeedway
#299The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:15pm

Broadway61004 said: "buffalospeedway said: "Hopping aboard the Sharon D. Clarke outrage train! Jessica Hecht was warm and charming, but I would have swapped her with Clarke.."

Clarke was up for featured, so it wouldn't have been Hecht who took her spot. But I agree she should have been nominated.
"

Thanks for the clarification! That's a surprising ruling from the Tony Committee - everything about Linda Loman screams "Leading!!!"

Videos