pixeltracker

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)- Page 13

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#300The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:16pm

No acting noms for Fat Ham?

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#301The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:18pm

noahseestheatre said: "Can 'Ain't No Mo' do a quick little revival for the spring pls bc I am so sad I missed it, and so glad it got rewarded today!"

Ugh, I wish doll. Loved it!

- Play: Ain't No Mo, Fat Ham, and Cost of Living make my soul VERY happy. I hope one of them kicks the poo out of Leopoldstadt.

WORD!

Broadway61004
#302The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:22pm

RippedMan said: "No acting noms for Fat Ham?"

Nikki Crawford got in. But was a surprise Marcel Spears did not (although Lead Actor was certainly an embarrassment of riches this year, so understandable).

SuddenlyStanley
#303The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:25pm

-1776 getting completely shut out has got to hurt. The production was very bold with its direction and all female/non-binary cast and seems like it was a very emotional affair for all involved, and for it to get NOTHING feels like a real F-you."

—-guess Sara Porkalob’s 75% wasn’t good enough for a nomination and throwing your cast and creative team under the bus doesn’t really sit well with people. The production was bad and the tour is worse. It was not a well thought out idea and it didn’t translate and felt gimmicky. It got all the recognition it deserved.

Sutton Ross
#304The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:26pm

I completely forgot about Dancin' and Bad Cinderella this morning. Like, that they even existed. It sucks for all involved but I think they will post soon. 

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#305The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:32pm

I apologize if this was discussed somewhere else, but was Dancin eligible for choreography?

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#306The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:36pm

fashionguru_23 said: "I apologize if this was discussed somewhere else, but was Dancineligible for choreography?"

It was not, as the choreo was Fosse's original.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#307The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:41pm

Kad said: "fashionguru_23 said: "I apologize if this was discussed somewhere else, but was Dancineligible for choreography?"

It was not, as the choreo was Fosse's original.
"

I thought so, but the fact that there are sections from Big Deal, and some new numbers, I wasn't sure if this was a "choreographed in the style of Fosse" situation.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#308The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:41pm

I think, to summarize, the total shutouts (regardless of quality or eligibility) were:

- Walking With Ghosts

- The Old Man and the Pool

- The Collaboration

- The Kite Runner

- Peter Pan Goes Wrong

- Pictures From Home

- The Thanksgiving Play

- A Beautiful Noise

- Dancin’

- Bad Cinderella

11/38 eligible productions….

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Ke3
#309The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:43pm

inception said: "Re: ITW nominations, I'm more surprised by Patina Miller's snub."

I think Heather Headley cast a bit of a shadow over that role for this production. People liked Patina, but there was an overwhelming amount of praise for Heather's take on it at Encores. It really shouldn't be about comparison but when it's the same role, in the same production, I do think people, begin to compare.

Sutton Ross
#310The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:47pm

—-guess Sara Porkalob’s 75% wasn’t good enough for a nomination and throwing your cast and creative team under the bus doesn’t really sit well with people. The production was bad and the tour is worse. It was not a well thought out idea and it didn’t translate and felt gimmicky. It got all the recognition it deserved.

It really did. 

BAREly_Wicked Profile Photo
BAREly_Wicked
#311The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:50pm

I’ve been saying this for months. I think KA is not nearly the lock fans think it is. 

MemorableUserName
#312The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:55pm

quizking101 said: "I think, to summarize, the total shutouts (regardless of quality or eligibility) were:

- The Collaboration

In retrospect, The Collaboration was the worst thing I saw this season. The lack of nominations is richly deserved.

ElephantLoveMedley
#313The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 1:59pm

BAREly_Wicked said: "I’ve been saying this for months. I think KA is not nearly the lock fans think it is."

I’ll be crossing my fingers until Tony night that KA and SLIH split the vote and & Juliet wins Best Musical. It might be a pipe dream but stranger things have certainly happened.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#314The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 2:05pm

Playbill_Trash said: "I wonder how Sara Porkalob is feeling this morning since she put out in that interview her hope for doing 1776 was getting a tony nomination. I was hoping the directors of that revival got nominated just to spite her. But the overall snub was good enough."

I think memories are such that people remember that incident but not who did it.

It was a strong year for musical revivals and it's not surprising that this one –– which tried things but not in an effective way –– got shut out.

NeverRight
#315The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 2:07pm

Disclaimer:  Of the plays, I've only seen Leopoldstat, and of the Musicals, I have not seen Camelot...

Lead Actress in Musical was the most competitive I've seen in years!  Everyone eligible had very strong performances.  I would have swapped a couple of names on the list with those who didn't get a nom. I'd have put Innerbichler and Soo in there, but I accept that my criteria is how well they did with the material they were given.

Casey Nicholaw deserves a special category for maximizing the impact of every production he touches.  

Orchestration has a couple of nominees who enhanced their shows by underplaying the score at key points:  Clancy in Kimberly Akimbo and Jason Howland in Shucked.  Bravo gents!

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#316The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 2:07pm

I am not seeing Sweeney until this summer but I have heard so much about how terrible the Sound Design is. And people don't normally talk about Sound Design in general yet I've seen on this forum, on social media & on podcasts people complain about the Sound Design for that show. So how in the world does it get nominated for that category? Are they just trying to award Jonathan Tunick's Orchestrations?

kwoc91
#317The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 2:16pm

Mr. Wormwood said: "I am not seeing Sweeney until this summer but I have heard so much about how terrible the Sound Design is. And people don't normally talk about Sound Design in general yet I've seen on this forum, on social media & on podcasts people complain about the Sound Design for that show. So how in the world does it get nominated for that category? Are they just trying to award Jonathan Tunick's Orchestrations?"

FWIW I had zero issues with the sound when I saw it last month.

Wardelljclark2018
#318The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 2:17pm

John David Washington never stood a chance, and I can accept that Danielle Brooks was overlooked, too, though I thought she was very good. But Sam Jackson over Michael Potts is a crime.

I am so glad someone shares my sentiments here. I am also just baffled at the lack of nominations for Death of a Salesman. Sharon D. Clarke how? I understand that she was in the featured actress category, which is also a confusing call from the committee seeing as how she was above the title with Wendell and Andre. Just some odd odd calls, if you ask me.

VintageSnarker
#319The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 2:18pm

Tony nominee (for acting) Sara Bareilles makes me very happy. I'm glad Jordan E. Cooper was recognized for Ain't No Mo' and Justin Cooley and Bonnie Milligan got nominations for Kimberly Akimbo.

I would have liked to see KPOP make it into the Best Musical conversation given the weak year but I think they caused too much of a stir. At least they made it into Best Original Score, Best Choreography, and Best Costume Design which were the strongest parts of the show. 

I don't have strong feelings about anything else but it feels like a year where they can spread out the awards rather than giving them mainly to one show. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#320The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 2:25pm

Sutton Ross said: "I completely forgot about Dancin'and Bad Cinderella this morning. Like, that they even existed. It sucks for all involved but I think they will post soon."

I still think Bad Cinderella is a much better show than NYNY.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#321The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 2:26pm

kwoc91 said: "Mr. Wormwood said: "I am not seeing Sweeney until this summer but I have heard so much about how terrible the Sound Design is. And people don't normally talk about Sound Design in general yet I've seen on this forum, on social media & on podcasts people complain about the Sound Design for that show. So how in the world does it get nominated for that category? Are they just trying to award Jonathan Tunick's Orchestrations?"

FWIW I had zero issues with the sound when I saw it last month.
"

I saw Sweeney two weeks ago from Orch Row V and had no problems with the sound whatsoever, either. The orchestra sounded wonderful from my seat and I thought the mixing was very clear. Perhaps they've continued to work on this after previews and have gotten it right? Certainly, if nominators saw it in April they probably had a better experience than those who saw it throughout previews.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#322The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 2:30pm

Sound is tricky, as most nominators are not qualified to understand what makes a good sound design.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#323The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 2:31pm

I am surprised at the nod for Ruthie Ann Miles in Sweeney. I liked the revival a bunch but did not feel as if Miles made a strong impression.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#324The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 2:32pm

PianoMann said: "The nominators are obligated to see every eligible production in a given season or else recuse themselves from voting at all. This is spelled out in Section 5.a.ii of the Rules and Regulations. So it isn't surprising that they all got to see, for example, Ain't No Mo' or The Sign in Sidney Brustein's Window. There were 40 nominators this year, winnowed down from a longer list as people had to recuse themselves. The entire list is on the Tony site and Gold Derby."

I was not aware the nominating committee had to recuse themselves entirely if they were unable to see a show - I thought they could simply choose to recuse themselves in particular categories. But I guess that is only for the voters for the actual winners.

Ain't No Mo' ran only 28 performances (plus previews), so I guess the nominators all piled in during the last week or two of the run since they knew it was closing.

Videos