pixeltracker

CAMELOT Returns to Broadway - Reviews Thread- Page 19

CAMELOT Returns to Broadway - Reviews Thread

SisterGeorge
#450Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/14/23 at 1:05pm

UWS10023 said: "....Phillipa seemed like she had not entirely made the leap and I could not quite tell what was holding her back. She wasn’t bad it was just that the performance did not feel complete. I wanted her to be even more playful...."

This is exactly how I felt about her performance in the Kennedy Center's Guys and Dolls last fall. At the time I thought maybe she was very tired and/or under the weather. 

Sister George

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#451Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/14/23 at 2:23pm

I don’t think I’ve ever really seen her DO anything all that interesting as an actress. Amelie, Hamilton. She’s fine. But that’s about it. 

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#452Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/14/23 at 2:34pm

I felt that way too... but thought Soo was a real delight in Suffs.

Generally I would say she's a good deal better than "fine" but until Suffs I hadn't really seen her be memorable? 

Jesus saves. I spend.

chrishuyen
#453Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/14/23 at 2:41pm

I haven't seen Camelot yet and I only saw Philipa Soo in the proshot of Hamilton, but I feel like she really just has the capability of lighting up a stage (which admittedly is harder to do in Hamilton with so many individualized actors at the top of their game).  But I thought she was quite luminous in Amelie and Into the Woods, and really gave Suffs the jolt of energy it needed.  I don't know that she necessarily makes interesting acting choices (I thought Krysta Rodriguez actually gave a more interesting take on Cinderella), but something about her makes me want to see her whenever she's on stage (and I do love her voice too).

SusaninBaltimore
#454Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/14/23 at 3:54pm

I saw Ms. Soo in Guys and Dolls at the Kennedy Center and thought she was stunning. Her singing was gorgeous and I liked her acting. Having seen her rehearsal clips in Camelot, I have high hopes. The cast has a month of previews in which to refine their interpretations and much can change during this period. But I think Ms. Soo has the gifts she needs to be an ideal Guenevere. 

Jimmyb1969
#455Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/14/23 at 7:32pm

Yes Tippy!!!!! A turtle race! And Burnap doesn’t help…those set changes that take forever on that huge stage with nothing on it. And a tiny chorus. Yikes! Lincoln center cost cutting after that flying over sunset debacle!

Updated On: 3/14/23 at 07:32 PM

david merrick
#456Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/14/23 at 7:54pm

FYI - Merlin and Pelli are normally played by the same performer.  Hope they didn't remove the comedy Pellinore had!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#457Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/14/23 at 9:04pm

Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#458Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/14/23 at 10:25pm

That set looks…meh 

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#459Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/14/23 at 10:37pm

SisterGeorge said: "UWS10023 said: "....Phillipa seemed like she had not entirely made the leap and I could not quite tell what was holding her back. She wasn’t bad it was just that the performance did not feel complete. I wanted her to be even more playful...."

This is exactly how I felt about her performance in the Kennedy Center's Guys and Dolls last fall. At the time I thought maybe she was very tired and/or under the weather.

I guess I wanted her to have a more charismatic and likable stage presence. She did it in Into The Woods. I think the key is in the character’s independent free spirit. And perhaps that quality lights her up in some way thus drawing others to her. There are aspects of the character that are not all that flattering so that is another challenge thrown into the mix.

Musicals often are not written with three dimensional characters so the director and actors have to fill in the gaps. And sometimes there is only so much one can do. But the actors will find things as the show progresses. 

Updated On: 3/14/23 at 10:37 PM

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#460Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/14/23 at 10:52pm

RippedMan said: "That set looks…meh"

Agreed. What are those panels meant to be? 

theatermangeek
#461Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/14/23 at 10:58pm

Those are 3 dimensional battlefield tents. The pic is a side view.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#462Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/16/23 at 12:00am

Tonight at Camelot there was a family with very young children sitting in the row behind me.
At intermission the elderly lady sitting beside them asked how they were enjoying it? A child of about 6 or 7 said, "Well I watched the movie, and this is pretty different." I turned and asked, "What do you think about that?" They were quiet, but then they said "I'm not sure yet."  I said, "I think there will be a lot of people who are thinking that same thing tonight."

I had a very good time, but this production will be the subject of much debate.

Some comments I heard in passing on my way out:
"I guess it was fine...."

And another couple: "That wasn't Camelot!"

A couple pages back I said what I think about Jordan Donica,  and for me he did not disappoint.
I think Phillipa Soo gave a very nuanced performance, helped by the new book. Burnap was good, but then again this isn't your Grandmother's Arthur.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

The King is not a doddering old fool

If you don't like the cast moving furniture about, you won't be happy with the sets;  but, I found the empty cavernous spaces well represented forests, great halls, and grand gardens overwhelming the human protagonists. 

Intermission was at 21:40 & it let out at 23:00. So perhaps cuts have already been made?  I wouldn't cut anything more myself, but then what I sat through last night ran 100 minutes longer.

At the conclusion, I was satisfied & didn't feel the need to buy a window card or stage door.

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#463Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/16/23 at 1:54am

The scenery in the movie gave it an extra boost. The castle, round table, waterfall, horses, carriages, weather etc…. It made the story more enchanting. I can see why this stage version would not necessarily mesmerize children although I am sure plenty of families will attend. Things are referenced more than illustrated.

MadsonMelo
#464Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/16/23 at 8:40am

Question: Do you guys see Jordan as a lead or featured player regarding to the Tonys?

The reviews for Burnap are so great that I can't help but think Actor in a Musical will be a bloodbath this year.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#465Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/16/23 at 8:51am

MadsonMelo said: "Question: Do you guys see Jordan as a lead or featured player regarding to the Tonys?

The reviews for Burnap are so great that I can't help but think Actor in a Musical will be a bloodbath this year.
"

As of now, Gold Derby has Jordan Donica listed as a featured actor. Of course, it will all come down to how the administration committee declares him.

JSquared2
#466Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/16/23 at 11:37am

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "MadsonMelo said: "Question: Do you guys see Jordan as a lead or featured player regarding to the Tonys?

"

As of now, Gold Derby has Jordan Donica listed as a featured actor. Of course, it will all come down to how the administration committee declares him.
"

There's no way that Lancelot would ever be considered a Lead.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#467Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/16/23 at 11:50am

I think the set photos are very attractive and emphasize the vast, stately loneliness of being in a castle that you don't necessarily want to be in.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#468Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/16/23 at 12:14pm

Donica as Lancelot would be better considered a supporting role here.  Arthur & Guinevere are the lead characters.  Taylor Trensch might be considered for supporting as well - he's brief, but very effective in two numbers.

I wouldn't want sit too close, I was about 11 rows back and could see that spittle was flying like crazy when Donica sang "C'est Moi."

...unless if course some could capture it in a vial and clone him

Updated On: 3/16/23 at 12:14 PM

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#469Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/16/23 at 2:24pm

Anyone else see the original production? I did, sort of. By the time I went, Burton had escaped to Rome to meet and seduce Elizabeth Taylor during the making of CLEOPATRA. His replacement, another Welsh actor named William Squire, was excellent. Sadly, Julie had also left, and her replacement was the inappropriate, still trilling soprano of old movies, Kathryn Grayson, and her songs were rearranged to meet her vocal "strengths". Goulet was gone too, but the role was so dull it really didn't matter who played it.

Reviews for the original were pretty woeful, and  the running  joke of the day was that when you went to see CAMELOT, you came out humming the sets, which were pretty spectacular. The simple sets being used now look just fine to me.

I'm flying in from LA to see this and SWEENEY, a show I've been watching since its first Broadway preview. Hope they're worth the trip...

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#470Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/16/23 at 2:47pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I think the set photos are very attractive and emphasize the vast, stately loneliness of being in a castle that you don't necessarily want to be in."

I like that idea as well, and I think that's what Michael Yeargan was going for, similar to his work on The King and I in a way.

BCfitasafiddle
#471Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/16/23 at 5:15pm

Just curious: does anyone know if LCT is doing their standard rush ticket policy 2 hours before curtain? I recall seeing shows that way, but only saw student rush listed on their site. 

Updated On: 3/16/23 at 05:15 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#472Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/16/23 at 5:20pm

Musical Master said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I think the set photos are very attractive and emphasize the vast, stately loneliness of being in a castle that you don't necessarily want to be in."

I like that idea as well, and I think that's what Michael Yeargan was going for, similar to his work on The King and I in a way.
"

Possibly. Would be an interesting approach for a revival of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST some day...with puppets by the Milky White guy.

Side note, I never understood the "minimalist" complaint about KING & I, which I felt was stunningly opulent and made great use of that vast space.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#473Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/16/23 at 5:34pm

Musical Master said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I think the set photos are very attractive and emphasize the vast, stately loneliness of being in a castle that you don't necessarily want to be in."

"

Agree with that point! If that’s the mood then for sure. I do think they’re very pretty in their simplicity.

I thought King and I was pretty yet simple but suited the palace like feel to me. 

Maybe it’s because it came after South Pacific which wasn’t really opulent but there was just so much to look at and stuff on stage. Piazza is my favorite of all of Sher’s stuff from a design perspective. 

Updated On: 3/16/23 at 05:34 PM

leefowler
#474Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/17/23 at 11:35pm

Saw it tonight. Oof. This is my last Aaron Sorkin musical.

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

Videos