pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17- Page 2

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17
Posted: 4/3/17 at 4:02pm

Saigon finally made it to the million dollar club!

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#26Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17
Posted: 4/3/17 at 4:08pm

Jarethan said: "
I am wondering about Menagerie too.  I originally wanted to see it, but have lost interest over time because of the mediocre reviews.  I also saw the Cherry Jones version, which may have been the first ever that I truly felt warranted its reputation.

"

I don't think Menagerie had mediocre reviews, but rather mixed reviews. Tennessee purists (no offense here) hate it because the production is not quite faithful to the text, while I personally loved it when I saw it. It's bold, provocative, and something you would think about days after seeing it.

canadian fan
#27Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17
Posted: 4/3/17 at 4:13pm

Skimbleshanks2 said: "Some of the numbers for the plays are depressing -- SIGNIFICANT OTHER, obviously, but also plays like SWEAT, as well...

Curious to know what's going on with GROUNDHOG DAY... I guess like little_sally said ... it's a hard sell, plus much as I love him, MR. KARL isn't a star... Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17

"Wow, Shimbleshanks did you sprain your ankles jumping off the GHD bandwagon?? Prior to GHD opening you were all over GHD & Andy Karl being the best thing ever. Now that its been in previews for a couple weeks, you seem to be giving up on it.  I have read lots of reviews and it actually looks to be picking up steam ever so slightly. It seems to me there are more positive reviews now than there were when it opened, and it may just be growing on people and perhaps starting to find its audience. I could be wrong about that.....but not about the need for tensor bandages and crutches. :) 

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#28Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17
Posted: 4/3/17 at 4:24pm

Not jumping off... Just always fascinated by grosses that's all! Plus, after my unabashed love for ROCKY I'm not sure if my crazy mind can handle another flop LOL...

Just trying to set my expectations that is all... Sorry for the misunderstanding!

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#29Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17
Posted: 4/3/17 at 4:27pm

Groundhog Day's real numbers won't come until after opening. Everyone at the first preview got free tickets to another preview of their choice

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

canadian fan
#30Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17
Posted: 4/3/17 at 4:39pm

Skimbleshanks2 said: "Not jumping off... Just always fascinated by grosses that's all! Plus, after my unabashed love for ROCKY I'm not sure if my crazy mind can handle another flop LOL...

Just trying to set my expectations that is all... Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Hey no worries, I'm just teasing you. And maybe just maybe GHD is like Rocky and it will win in the end haha!! Don't give up on it yet!

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#31Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17
Posted: 4/3/17 at 4:39pm

War Paint numbers will drop after the theatre die-hards have seen it. LuPone's Gypsy started strong and quickly dipped, as did Ebersole in Grey Gardens. Both shows had armfuls of awards and couldn't get the box office. We'll see what reviews and Tonys do for it.

Amelie is just bad and that's the word of mouth. It was bad out of town and not much better now. It's DOA. Word of mouth is important. For instance, everyone and their brother is telling friends to see Come From Away. No one is doing that for Amelie or Groundhog Day.

Why people want to musicalize 20 year old mediocre films is beyond me? Do they think this will bring the audiences out in droves?

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#32Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17
Posted: 4/3/17 at 4:44pm

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but perhaps some artists genuinely do want to see these stories in a new medium. I believe such adaptations do have merit when done well and adding some new edge to the source material.

Are Amelie and Groundhog Day considered mediocre? Asking with sincerity- I was under the impression that both are considered "modern classics."

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

a-mad
#33Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17
Posted: 4/3/17 at 5:04pm

Bettyboy72 said: "No one is doing that for Amelie or Groundhog Day.

Why people want to musicalize 20 year old mediocre films is beyond me? Do they think this will bring the audiences out in droves?
"

I wouldn't consider these mediocre films.  Here are some of the accolades Groundhog Day has received (from its Wikipedia page):

The film is number 32 on Bravo's "100 Funniest Movies". In Total Film's 1990s special issue, Groundhog Day was deemed the best film of 1993 (the year that saw the release of Schindler's ListThe PianoA Perfect World and The Fugitive). In 2000, readers of Total Film voted it the seventh greatest comedy film of all time. The Writers Guild of America ranked the screenplay #27 on their list of 101 Greatest Screenplays ever written.[28][29] In 2009, American literary theorist Stanley Fish named the film as among the ten best American films ever, writing that "as the movie becomes more serious, it becomes funnier. The comedy and the philosophy (how shall one live?) do not sit side by side, but inhabit each other in a unity that is incredibly satisfying."[30] In 2011, Time Out London named it the 5th-greatest comedy film of all time.[31]

Oh, and Amelie was nominated for 5 Oscars, including Best Foreign Language Film.

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#33Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17
Posted: 4/3/17 at 5:04pm

canadian fan said: "Skimbleshanks2 said: "Not jumping off... Just always fascinated by grosses that's all! Plus, after my unabashed love for ROCKY I'm not sure if my crazy mind can handle another flop LOL...

Hey no worries, I'm just teasing you. And maybe just maybe GHD is like Rocky and it will win in the end haha!! Don't give up on it yet!

"

LOL My husband certainly wants it to close... he's sick of me asking if I can buy tickets again :)!!

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

Pootie2
#34Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17
Posted: 4/3/17 at 5:21pm

LesWickedly said: "That's really amazing for Come From Away. I think everyone can admit that they thought it would be having a short life here, when it was first announced, but so happy to see them have success.

"

To be honest, when I read all the reviews for its pre-Broadway runs, I was convinced it would do well on Broadway with the preemptive word of mouth, and that's thinking as a tourist. Only some native New Yorkers on this board believed otherwise. Obviously, it can never be a sure thing, but these numbers don't really surprise me.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

elephantseye
#35Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17
Posted: 4/3/17 at 5:32pm

Pootie2 said: "LesWickedly said: "That's really amazing for Come From Away. I think everyone can admit that they thought it would be having a short life here, when it was first announced, but so happy to see them have success."

To be honest, when I read all the reviews for its pre-Broadway runs, I was convinced it would do well on Broadway with the preemptive word of mouth, and that's thinking as a tourist. Only some native New Yorkers on this board believed otherwise. Obviously, it can never be a sure thing, but these numbers don't really surprise me.
"

Also speaking as a tourist, I didn't think CFA would do well, either. While the plot doesn't bother me the way it does some others, the staging and conceptualization seemed better for an off-Broadway house. It feels like a small show, and with all of the 'big' shows/performances going on this season, I thought it would flounder due to its competition.

Pootie2
#36Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17
Posted: 4/3/17 at 5:44pm

elephantseye said: "Pootie2 said: "LesWickedly said: "That's really amazing for Come From Away. I think everyone can admit that they thought it would be having a short life here, when it was first announced, but so happy to see them have success."

"

Also speaking as a tourist, I didn't think CFA would do well, either. While the plot doesn't bother me the way it does some others, the staging and conceptualization seemed better for an off-Broadway house. It feels like a small show, and with all of the 'big' shows/performances going on this season, I thought it would flounder due to its competition.

"

The sold-out venues, run extensions, and multiple reviews outside standard audience word-of-mouth are better, if imperfect indicators; I suspect the producers must have banked on that existing goodwill. Whether or not this can hold out in the long run is important, of course, but this particular show is uniquely positioned in our current political climate compared to the rest of the competition.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#37Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17
Posted: 4/3/17 at 7:06pm

I continue to be blown away by COME FROM AWAY's numbers. Very happy for them!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BroadwayMan5
#38Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17
Posted: 4/3/17 at 7:50pm

a-mad said: "Bettyboy72 said: "No one is doing that for Amelie or Groundhog Day.

"

I wouldn't consider these mediocre films.  Here are some of the accolades Groundhog Day has received (from its Wikipedia page):

The film is number 32 on Bravo's "100 Funniest Movies". In Total Film's 1990s special issue, Groundhog Day was deemed the best film of 1993 (the year that saw the release of Schindler's ListThe PianoA Perfect World and The Fugitive). In 2000, readers of Total Film voted it the seventh greatest comedy film of all time. The Writers Guild of America ranked the screenplay #27 on their list of 101 Greatest Screenplays ever written.[28][29] In 2009, American literary theorist Stanley Fish named the film as among the ten best American films ever, writing that "as the movie becomes more serious, it becomes funnier. The comedy and the philosophy (how shall one live?) do not sit side by side, but inhabit each other in a unity that is incredibly satisfying."[30] In 2011, Time Out London named it the 5th-greatest comedy film of all time.[31]

Oh, and Amelie was nominated for 5 Oscars, including Best Foreign Language Film.

"

I agree to an extent about Groundhog Day but I think Groundhog Day (the film) is popular but not iconic and that makes it tricky because it's not a universally beloved film. It's well-liked by many, don't get me wrong, but it's not an all-timer for many. And while Amelie may have been a critical success on film, being nominated for Best Foreign Language Film does nothing to get people in seats for a musical adaptation.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#39Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17
Posted: 4/3/17 at 8:41pm

Unless either gets strong reviews, I have to wonder if either AMELIE or GROUNDHOG DAY will close before IN TRANSIT.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#40Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17
Posted: 4/3/17 at 10:28pm

PHANTOM is still making $1 million a week. I know it dips after peak seasons, but it's a huge accomplishment almost 30 years in to its run!

Also, thrilled for the success for GREAT COMET, COME FROM AWAY, and DEAR EVAN HANSEN. What a great year for musicals!

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Big Apple2 Profile Photo
Big Apple2
#41Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17
Posted: 4/4/17 at 12:09am

Amelie, the film, is far from being mediocre.  It has an 89% at RT from critics with an average rating of 4 stars out of 5, while the audience score is 95% with an average rating of 4.2 stars out of 5.  It is generally well liked.  I enjoyed it and made my Top 3 films for 2001.  I'll defend the film any day.  It's too bad I can't do the same for the musical.

Updated On: 4/4/17 at 12:09 AM

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#42Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17
Posted: 4/4/17 at 12:35am

Call_me_jorge said: "Any idea on if Sunday will recoup?

"

You gotta imagine that they have it set to do so.  I mean, they bypassed Tony consideration because they didn't want to give away all those free tickets.With tickets in the $400 range, and it selling out, I would think they have it all mapped out to make their money back.  

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#43Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17
Posted: 4/4/17 at 12:44am

What we are seeing is what every clear-eyed observer said was going to happen: most of the "sure fire hits" will fail, and the season will play out just as it has to. There are a couple of surprises in the mix, and that's what keeps things interesting. Sunday may or may not technically recoup (I suspect it won't) but the producing model is not the typical one insofar as this is ATG's baby.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#44Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17
Posted: 4/4/17 at 4:57am

Skimbleshanks2 said: "I'm not sure if my crazy mind can handle another flop LOL..."

Guess we'll see! Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#45Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17
Posted: 4/4/17 at 8:26am

Brave Sir Robin2 said: "PHANTOM is still making $1 million a week. I know it dips after peak seasons, but it's a huge accomplishment almost 30 years in to its run!"

yes

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

neonlightsxo
#46Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17
Posted: 4/4/17 at 8:59am

Sunday doesn't seem like it's going to recoup, to me at least.

perfectliar
#47Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17
Posted: 4/4/17 at 9:12am

ZellMorrowsPledge said: "Groundhog Day's real numbers won't come until after opening. Everyone at the first preview got free tickets to another preview of their choice"

Yes, everyone who attended the first preview got a voucher to come back to another preview for free, but that only accounts for about 1,200 seats over more than 4 weeks of performances, and that's only if every voucher gets used. So doing some lazy math, that's 1,200 out of more than 35,000 available seats for previews, or about 3% of seats.

Updated On: 4/4/17 at 09:12 AM

GreenGables Profile Photo
GreenGables
#48Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/2/17
Posted: 4/4/17 at 12:50pm

neonlightsxo said: "Sunday doesn't seem like it's going to recoup, to me at least.

"

Its got a super low weekly run (for a musical) and is printing in the $1.2m range - I'd be surprised if we dont see an announcement at closing that they've recouped. 

Videos