#25Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/26/14 at 2:30am

That's an opinion.

Darreyl with an L!

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#26Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/26/14 at 2:48am

Ice creams have been sold at Australian theatres for as long as I can remember, what is worse are those flashing glasses ( cocktail ) that are now sold at nearly every show. Yes Wicked does need help, but I am not sure if the waving of lighted green glasses help!

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian
Updated On: 3/26/14 at 02:48 AM

LittleEdieFan
#27Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/26/14 at 3:13am

The Phantom of the Opera in January last year. Three girls behind me chowing through a box of KFC.

brdway411
#28Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/26/14 at 4:16am

Eating in the theater is just plain rude. The actors deserve your full attention.

The Other One
#29Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/26/14 at 6:32am

The Neil Simon sold popcorn while HAIRSPRAY played there. That was my first encounter with food in the theater. I haven't seen very much if any of it since.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#30Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/26/14 at 6:36am

I really wish they would ban food and drink during Broadway shows.

It won't empty the theatres anymore than the ban on smoking emptied bars and restaurants.

Enough already.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#31Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/26/14 at 10:09am

Saw RAISIN over the weekend, and it was one of the BEST audiences I've seen in a while. No snacking, no drinking except the occasional bottle of water, no talking or texting or excessive fidgeting. An audience watching an exemplary production of a great play with rapt attention.

That said, I agree with besty. I'd love to see food and drink banned in seats. (And food in general, really.)

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

The Other One
#32Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/26/14 at 10:42am

Ditto. Keep your appetite and eat after the play.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#33Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/26/14 at 2:17pm

They would never. They make bank on this stuff.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#34Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/26/14 at 3:55pm

The money is too good, any complaints will just fall on deaf ears, respectful audience members and people who don't need to eat every second be damned. It's not the fukcing movies and people treat it like that now. Luckily, there are still tons of little theaters off Broadway that don't allow people the opportunity to behave like that.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#35Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/26/14 at 4:14pm

They at least could have eaten raisins.

Not even raisins....FIGS!

Rainbowhigh23
#36Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/27/14 at 10:04am

Thank you for the report on the snacking situation. I hope to see Raisin soon and will be ready for anything. I have to report that at Les Miz last night it was exactly this situation. During the quietest parts of the score the dimwits around me decided it was time to break out the chips and have themselves a crinkle contest. During "On my Own" and "Little Fall of Rain" it was hard to listen to Nikki sing and feel her character's pain when I was wishing I could just get up and go smack someone.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#37Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/27/14 at 11:14am

Worse than the chips/edibles: their packaging and the people who don't think twice about opening them! A woman behind me in Cabaret had a candy of sort wrapped in cellophane that was incredibly loud when opened...and she opened the package repeatedly throughout the performance. She was shushed repeatedly patrons in the audience (myself included) and her response was: "well they sell it here."

Lets take a minute to appreciate the stupidity of this circumstance: true, patron may have been sold a product that the producers should have thought twice about selling (stupid on the producers part), but patron is pissing off everyone around her by opening said package and feels she is somehow absolved from societal norms of decency (incredibly stupid on patron's part).

Ugh...I hate people sometimes...

jbroadway4 Profile Photo
jbroadway4
#38Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/27/14 at 11:32am

I don't see the big deal of eating a snack in the theatre. As long as its a tiny little snack, doesn't smell, and you arent making noises with the bag.

Liza's Headband
#39Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/27/14 at 11:47am

And what would that be, exactly?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#40Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/27/14 at 12:34pm

My wife is pre diabetic and sometimes has to carry something to eat quickly.

If I unwrap a cough drop wrapper, she looks at me like I murdered someone.

Poster Emeritus

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#41Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/27/14 at 2:00pm

Roxy, try cough drops wrapped in wax paper, unwrapping one in plastic is incredibly rude.

"I don't see the big deal of eating a snack in the theatre. As long as its a tiny little snack, doesn't smell, and you arent making noises with the bag."

You just described a snack that doesn't exist and isn't sold in the theater.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#42Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/27/14 at 3:42pm

"But Hotdogs aren't noisy are they?"

That's hardly the only point here.

Hot dogs have a strong smell. And after you've consumed that reeking, smelly hot dog, possibly dropping sour kraut, onions, and/or relish all over the place. Then what are you going to do with the filthy napkin or tissue paper you were holding? Put it in one of those noisy brown paper bags you came in with? And let's not forget about the clean up job that must be done under that seat.

During the time I was house manager, it was my job to scour the theater after the show to check for lost and found. Some of the things I always "found" are the following:

1. empty/half empty beer and soda cans. The half empty ones had their contents soaking into the carpet.
2. produce. Full and half eaten. Lots of banana peels, apple cores,etc.
3. mountains of peanut shells. I said MOUNTAINS
4. candy wrappers-empty, full, half full. Some with melted chocolate seeping into the carpet.
5. PUDDLES OF VOMIT

F*CKiNg pigs.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Updated On: 3/27/14 at 03:42 PM

Jon
#43Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/27/14 at 4:43pm

You found pigs having sex on the floor?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#44Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/27/14 at 4:46pm

That was a good one - ******* pigs.

Poster Emeritus

AEA AGMA SM
#45Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/27/14 at 4:48pm

"You found pigs having sex on the floor?"

That's probably better than finding them having sex in the catwalks above your head

Liza's Headband
#46Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/27/14 at 4:49pm

I want to know if you found any used condoms, Jane.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#47Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/27/14 at 6:03pm

What I want to know is who throws up a huge puddle and stays in their seat until the end of the show.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#48Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/27/14 at 6:54pm

"What I want to know is who throws up a huge puddle and stays in their seat until the end of the show."

Jane, you'd be surprised at the Rock of Ages crowd. lol

When I was at Cabaret, the woman at my table kept shaking the ice in her glass and shaking her paper M & Ms bag and chomping on them. Vile.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#49Raisin in the Sun- the audience eats potato chips
Posted: 3/27/14 at 7:06pm

True, they probably get drunker at Rock of Ages than at Hedwig.

Videos