pixeltracker

Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!- Page 2

Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#25Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:08am

I mean Mandy is only in the show for three weeks. Oak couldn't take a three-week holiday and come back in September? Or do they have someone lined up? Or were they just not feeling Oak after all.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#26Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:09am

OAK must have been let go because why wouldn't MANDY just join after his run? The fact that his run was cut three weeks early, and MANDY is only joining for three weeks, is telling...

Man.. THE DRAMA!

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

cdf1983 Profile Photo
cdf1983
#27Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:09am

Ya'll like to stir the pot too much - I don't think anyone has realized the Oak probably has a project coming up that he's being taken for, thus cutting his run three weeks early. 

Oak's Pierre is on such a different level than Josh and Dave's (both of whom I admire and respect, and enjoy) and he's been getting nothing but rave reviews on his emotional depth for the character. Audiences love him, and the show's been at 97% capacity for a while.

We don't know what's in store after Mandy leaves and it'll be interesting to see who's next. 

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#28Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:10am

It sounds like trpguyy had it right. It's been at TKTS consistently and on TDF for lots of dates. It's the summer where people are away so this should definitely help BO even for a short time.

I have not seen the show. So, my curiosity is this: does this show need "a name" to keep it alive? The show appears to be a big ensemble frolic show, from the scenes I've seen here and there. Why does it slump when there isn't a name in it? Can it not stand on it's on?

trpguyy
#29Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:11am

"I don't think anyone has realized the Oak probably has a project coming up that he's being taken for, thus cutting his run three weeks early."

That would be a happy coincidence, as his early departure was not voluntary. 

Big Apple2 Profile Photo
Big Apple2
#30Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:12am

This is very interesting. 

Jarethan
#31Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:13am

ColorTheHours048 said: "This is really bizarre. Both the casting and the behind-the-scenes stuff we don't know. Even if the producers are unhappy with Oak's performance, surely there's a better way to handle it than cutting his run short to only a month and change and replacing him with someone completely too old and deranged for the part. Yes, Patinkin is a legend, but that legend is based almost entirely on his younger days. And let's face it, he's not the same actor he used to be.

All of this is bizarre.

I have never been a big Patinkin fan after Evita because I think he became a member of the "Al Pacino 'Why be subtle when you can overact?' school" way too early in his career.  But he can be excellent when he is directed, and he had been outstanding in all 6 seasons of Homeland, in a role that requires a lot of underacting.

I was always mystified when so many people got so excited about the 'Oak' announcement, as is participation in Hamilton automatically makes you more 'everything' than has actually been earned.  He is an actor who 99% of the theatre going public has never heard of (99.9%).  Patinkin could be a quick study and have a 3 week opening, at a time in the season when attendance has gone down the past couple of years.  (I remember being extremely surprised last year that attendance did not remain at peak until Labor Day; but, rather, a few weeks earlier).  He could be thinking that he wants to see if he enjoys being in it before he  is willing to commit to a longer stay.  Maybe the producers are experimenting with stunt casting as a way to sustain business, although I would think that is going to be hard with that complex staging.

Maybe Oak got a TV show?  Maybe he hates it?  etc.  etc.

Updated On: 7/26/17 at 11:13 AM

Rainah
#32Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:15am

EthelMae said: "It sounds like trpguyy had it right. It's been at TKTS consistently and on TDF for lots of dates. It's the summer where people are away so this should definitely help BO even for a short time.

I have not seen the show. So, my curiosity is this: does this show need "a name" to keep it alive? The show appears to be a big ensemble frolic show, from the scenes I've seen here and there. Why does it slump when there isn't a name in it? Can it not stand on it's on?
"

A lot of things go into it, but I think it comes down to

- It's an expensive show to run. Grosses that keep cheaper shows afloat won't cut it for Comet. They've been pulling 900k+ both weeks post Groban, and from the sounds of it they're looking for more

- It started out with a big name as the lead. Once you start out with "COME SEE JOSH GROBAN IN GREAT COMET" it's hard to come back from that. Now it's just "COME SEE GREAT COMET" and it feels like a letdown when it used to be Comet PLUS stars.

- Their marketing sucks in general

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#33Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:16am

Or maybe... maybe Oak is going back to Frozen? (hey, everyone's stirring the pot I'm just trying to be a team player here)

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#34Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:16am

Am I the only one who surprised that the show that on paper seems the most difficult to stunt cast, due to all of its moving parts, and actor/orchestra, has able to stunt cast more during this summer alone than Chicago has done all year? 

I love the show and am happy this is keeping it a float, but I am just surprised that one of, if not the most artistic and experimental show Broadway has seen in years/decades has been able to stunt cast so effectively. Then again, if I were an actor/actress/musician/performer of a certain caliber who cares more about "the craft" then the paycheck Comet would definitely  seem like a somewhat safe challenge to take on. 

I honestly wonder who they have coming in for the fall, since rumors on here have made it seem that they are getting a "big name" for either Pierre or Natasha. 

Updated On: 7/26/17 at 11:16 AM

schubox
#35Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:21am

Well ****. I have tickets in December, this sounds amazing, bummed I'll miss it 

JustAnotherNewYorker
#36Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:24am

bdn223 said: "Am I the only one who surprised that the show that on paper seems the most difficult to stunt cast, due to all of its moving parts, and actor/orchestra, has able to stunt cast more during this summer alone than Chicago has done all year? 

I love the show and am happy this is keeping it a float, but I am just surprised that one of, if not the most artistic and experimental show Broadway has seen in years/decades has been able to stunt cast so effectively. Then again, if I were an actor/actress/musician/performer of a certain caliber who cares more about "the craft" then the paycheck Comet would definitely  seem like a somewhat safe challenge to take on. 

I honestly wonder who they have coming in for the fall, since rumors on here have made it seem that they are getting a "big name" for either Pierre or Natasha. 
"

The hard part about stunt casting Pierre is the mix of skills - singing in the right range, Piano, and hopefully accordion (they can learn, but it seems that's not so easy as Oak's late start told us). The part itself, while onstage the whole time, is not active the entire show. I don't think this is as hard a part to stunt cast as many other "leading" roles (e.g., Phil in Groundhog)

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#37Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:27am

JustAnotherNewYorker said: "So if I'm not mistaken, Ingrid is performing through the 15th of August?

If so, there's one show where both are in, right?
"

You're mistaken. She finishes on the 13th.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#38Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:28am

This news prompted an immediate purchase. No brainer.

schubox
#39Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:28am

I'd assume they're isn't going to have someone play the instruments for Patinkin. Like was already said, if you take out the instruments Pierre doesn't do a ton. Only a few big songs and a lot of hanging out 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#40Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:31am

EthelMae said: "Why does it slump when there isn't a name in it? Can it not stand on it's on?"

$900K is a pretty sweet slump a lot of shows would kill for.

Notreallysilent 2
#41Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:33am

Sorry if this is completely wrong, as I do not know much about contracts, but I'm assuming oaks contract was supposed to end September 4th. Wouldn't the show have to pay a lot to break oaks contract? Again I do not know much about contracts, so sorry if this is wrong.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#42Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:36am

I think Comet is doing what's best for Comet. Better to have Mandy for 3 weeks than not at all, PLUS I think this could be an interesting new marketing strategy. If they continue the brief 3-5 week stunt casting stints, it keeps the show fresh and in the public eye. Each new cast member added of recognition makes the show an "event" all over again. Groban was the first "event" they just didn't know it yet, followed by Ingrid, who has a strong following who would easily sell the show well for at lest a month. Then they got Oak, who while not a huge star, is respected in the community, and Hamilfans would flock, ensuring decent grosses. Now Mandy. A Broadway legend coming back for thee weeks only in a Tony nominated role is nothing to turn your nose up to, it's EVENTFUL. I'll be interested to see if they continue with this mentality, and even more so to see if they grosses reflect that even more importantly, it works.

JustAnotherNewYorker
#43Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:37am

haterobics said: "JustAnotherNewYorker said: "So if I'm not mistaken, Ingrid is performing through the 15th of August?

If so, there's one show where both are in, right?
"

You're mistaken. She finishes on the 13th.
"

Did this change? From : http://www.playbill.com/article/ingrid-michaelson-makes-broadway-debut-in-the-great-comet-july-3 (emphasis added):

Michaelson, who is making her Broadway debut, steps into the role of Sonya. She will perform through August 15 while Brittain Ashford, who originated the part, takes a temporary leave from the show. Ashford is scheduled to return August 16. (Michaelson will not perform August 2–6.)

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#44Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:38am

Oh...my God...my wallet cannot sustain this. 

Whatever the reasoning for Oak's early departure/Mandy only having a three-week run (I'm not saying anything about it until we have some sort of actual reason), I am so into this. But now I have to go see the show two times more this summer. 

...Which was probably the idea... 

The only thing I'm pointing out is that they're still specifically ending the new Pierre's run on September 3rd. While I had (and still have) my doubts about someone "big" coming in as a replacement, this does lend towards that idea... 

Updated On: 7/26/17 at 11:38 AM

JennH
#45Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:42am

IdinaBellFoster said: "Also strange that Oak is ending his run late when he didn't start it as schedule either.

This is STRANGE.

"

I think you mean ending his run early but yes. To say for sure what in the world happened well us peons will never know, but to those saying we're reading too much into it...can you at least understand WHY? Oak started late AND now is ending early...that's seems to be enough to make anyone wonder what's going on.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#46Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:44am

Mandy Patinkin is currently in the middle of production on Season 7 of the series HOMELAND.  I'm sure he was approached by the producers of COMET, found it interesting, and worked in a 3 week leave from HOMELAND just to do this short Broadway bit.  I'm sure if he enjoys it he'll return for a longer run once HOMELAND wraps production in a few months.  

Roscoe
#47Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:45am

Patinkin is, at 64, at least 30 years too old for the role.  

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

JennH
#48Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:46am

Valentina3 said: "Or maybe... maybe Oak is going back to Frozen? (hey, everyone's stirring the pot I'm just trying to be a team player here)

"

Jelani is still for sure doing it and they all just arrived in Denver, so unless something happens between now and next spring...

schubox
#49Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!
Posted: 7/26/17 at 11:48am

Also hasn't Oak been working for 5-6 months to take over? Patinkin is going to step in on a hiatus from filming Homeland? Seems like a tall order 

Videos