pixeltracker

Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?- Page 2

Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#25Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?
Posted: 8/23/17 at 8:25am

The Book of Mormon manages to absolutely ridicule the intellectual absurdity of certain false beliefs while also being wildly hilarious.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 9/6/23 at 08:25 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#26Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?
Posted: 8/23/17 at 8:25am

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 9/6/23 at 08:25 AM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#27Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?
Posted: 8/23/17 at 9:23am

Carousel deals with some very serious issues that are still relevant today: alcoholism, blue collar unemployment, domestic violence ... 

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#28Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?
Posted: 8/23/17 at 10:11am

HAIRSPRAY and TOMMY (tied). 

asimplegal2 Profile Photo
asimplegal2
#29Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?
Posted: 8/23/17 at 10:16am

Spring Awakening is entertaining, but hardly actually addresses any social issues. I would have to go with Memphis, Newsies, or Billy Elliot.

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#30Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?
Posted: 8/23/17 at 10:38am

Hairspray was definitely the first that came to mind.

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#31Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?
Posted: 8/23/17 at 12:45pm

Cabaret or South Pacific

JennH
#32Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 10:20am

I'll agree with Urinetown for sure. But sadly as it's extremely heightened AND a comedy, people won't easily make that connection. But yet, when something is thrown in your face, without all the fictional heightening, Uncanney Valley happens, and it irks us. 

Can we add Frozen to this? Entertaining possibly may be the wrong term, and obviously it's not strictly about a current social issue, but you get the point. This really was a great read.

https://metawitches.com/2017/08/23/frozen-the-musical-vs-radical-feminist-theatre/#comment-392

Reading this, made me even more extremely disappointed in what they did with it this far, and I'm REEEAALLYYY hoping that some major changes happen. Structurally, writing wise, AND design wise. But hearing how Kristoff is even more of the "Only Sane Man" type than he already was, but now they have him literally tear off her dress is just...I can't believe the team didn't think that through. 

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#33Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 11:42am

leighmiserables said: "I think it's just a syntax issue, really. When I personally hear 'social issue' I think of anything that can be a 'cause' or something that can finish the phrase "we're raising awareness for ______." Plus, if there's stigma/prejudice against something, I think that immediately qualifies it as a social issue. There's plenty of stigma towards mental health. "

Good points. Also, I'm not trying to say a show isn't worth anything if it's not inherently political. Shows that have strong characters facing real-life issues are typically my favorites, and politicization can get in the way of that. But sometimes it just works. 

I just think by such a broad standard, any show could be about a social issue. By that standard, Legally Blonde is about "social issues" because it fights the stigma that blonde girls can't be smart. Hello Dolly is about "social issues" because it's about a woman fighting to get what she wants (a rich husband). Come From Away is about "social issues" because it's about accepting newcomers.  But... let's be honest, Legally Blonde is about cotton candy. Hello Dolly is a romance. Come From Away is about relationships formed during tragedy. They're all great shows (Well, not so much for Legally Blonde...) but they're not about social issues. "

Updated On: 8/24/17 at 11:42 AM

mmmreedsy
#34Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?
Posted: 2/13/23 at 9:12am

deanrollland said: "I really like this show"

yes it's amazing

SporkGoddess
#35Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?
Posted: 2/13/23 at 9:39am

As a mental health professional, I don't think that Next to Normal handles its subject matter well at all. But I guess you could still argue it fits because it is about a serious social issue, even if it mishandles it, and it's entertaining.

Does Dogfight count, even though it's off Broadway? IMO it does a better job with portraying a mental health diagnosis than Dear Evan Hansen and N2N.

But, of course, my votes would always go to Cabaret and Ragtime. I might also throw in Once On This Island - isn't colorism a major issue, and one that's still very relevant?

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 2/13/23 at 09:39 AM

DaveyG
#36Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?
Posted: 2/13/23 at 10:10am

Hairspray and The Prom

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#37Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?
Posted: 2/13/23 at 10:17am

I realize the post above about Spring Awakening “hardly addressing any social issues” is from 2017 but I strongly disagree. The show demonstrates the importance of our modern day suicide outreach and prevention programs, the necessity of sex education in school curriculum, and safe and legal access to health care for women which is unfortunately all the more relevant in 2023.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#38Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?
Posted: 2/13/23 at 1:01pm

CATSNYrevival said: "I realize the post above about Spring Awakening “hardly addressing any social issues” is from 2017 but I strongly disagree. The show demonstrates the importance of our modern day suicide outreach and prevention programs, the necessity of sex education in school curriculum, and safe and legal access to health care for women which is unfortunately all the more relevant in 2023."

Yeah, it's weird they said that. Addressing serious social issues is the whole point of the show.

chrishuyen
#39Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?
Posted: 2/13/23 at 1:14pm

Recency bias, but surprised no one has mentioned Take Me Out or Ain't No Mo'.  Or to go off-Broadway, Soft Power had a lot of issues but I think it was wildly entertaining while also touching on a lot of social issues.

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#40Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?
Posted: 2/13/23 at 1:47pm

Fiddler On The Roof.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#41Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?
Posted: 2/14/23 at 7:56pm

qolbinau said: "The Book of Mormon manages to absolutely ridicule the intellectual absurdity of certain false beliefswhile alsobeing wildly hilarious. I'm waiting for the sequel they are working on, I believe it's calledThe Koran."

If they ridiculed Muslim like they do Mormonism, they may well be charged with a hate crime and terminated the next day. Or they might have to flee to Finland for their lives. I fail to see the distinction between the two religions. Except that one is .small and powerful, and the other is almost asleep.

Dollypop
#42Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?
Posted: 2/15/23 at 7:53am

IN MY.LIFE. Tourette's Syndrom

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Phillyguy
#43Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?
Posted: 2/15/23 at 8:10am

asimplegal2 said: "Spring Awakening is entertaining, but hardly actually addresses any social issues. I would have to go with Memphis, Newsies, or Billy Elliot."

Spring Awakening was written over 100 years old but still feels relevant today. It touches on sex education, book banning, teen mental health, and abortion access, all pretty relevant social issues today. 

Updated On: 2/15/23 at 08:10 AM

noahseestheatre Profile Photo
noahseestheatre
#44Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?
Posted: 2/15/23 at 8:25am

DEH is not considered a social issue show to me. Yes it deals with suicide but in an insensitive way. The only real lesson is to not make up fake friendships with the recently deceased and lie about it.

brotherhoodofman Profile Photo
brotherhoodofman
#45Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?
Posted: 2/15/23 at 9:18am

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Hair. When I saw the revival, the ending absolutely devastated me. I always think what it would have been like if all of my friends had been drafted, if you never knew who was going to be shipped overseas to fight and maybe die. It's an incredibly entertaining musical about mortality and the ethics of war (and who is sent to fight in those wars).

Andy Votty
#46Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?
Posted: 9/6/23 at 2:05pm

i watched the musical you recommended. Clumsy,bland,vulgar,incompetent.

The music marketplace is a dynamic ecosystem where creativity meets commerce. It's a fascinating arena to explore for my projects, offering insights into the intersection of artistry, technology and 99papers best dissertation writing service, and entrepreneurship. Whether delving into the impact of streaming platforms on musicians or analyzing the strategies behind successful indie labels,

College can be an exciting and challenging time, filled with academic pursuits, personal growth, and new experiences. However, one aspect of college life that many students find daunting is essay writing. The demands of college-level writing can be overwhelming, and that's where college essay writing service like essay writing service come into play. In this article, we will guide you on how to choose the right service, answer frequently asked questions, and provide you with our top five recommendations

Updated On: 5/26/24 at 02:05 PM

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#47Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?
Posted: 9/6/23 at 2:31pm

I know this question is six years old, but I'll answer anyway. Chicago. Ahead of its time, it predicted the future so accurately. OJ Simpson. The worship of fame. The razzle dazzle and illusion of the justice system.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#48Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?
Posted: 9/6/23 at 3:54pm

OlBlueEyes said: "qolbinau said: "The Book of Mormon manages to absolutely ridicule the intellectual absurdity of certain false beliefswhile alsobeing wildly hilarious. I'm waiting for the sequel they are working on, I believe it's calledThe Koran."

If they ridiculed Muslim like they do Mormonism, they may well be charged with a hate crime and terminated the next day. Or they might have to flee to Finland for their lives. I fail to see the distinction between the two religions. Except that one is .small and powerful, and the other is almost asleep.
"

I don't know, the idea of an uplifting musical comedy about a pair of Islamic missionaries from Kabul coming to America and successfully converting a town in Alabama is kind of great.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#49Broadway's Most Entertaining Show About a Serious Social Issue?
Posted: 9/6/23 at 4:44pm

I would genuinely hope as a culture we can find a way in future to have a sense of humour and poke fun at all religions, especially when they continue to have negative social effects for oppressed groups across the world (especially the LGBT community). However, 5 years has past now since that earlier post and I've come to accept that there are some topics that are too serious for too many people and can only be dealt with in a very serious way. I kind of love that all these years later The Book of Mormon remains resilient because I do think it was more socially acceptable to make fun of these issues back in 2011, and watching it today I think it is more shocking and powerful than ever. That remains the most entertaining musical that deals with serious social issues to me. 

Otherwise, of course next to normal, RENT, Spring Awakening etc. are all up there. I don't know why people tried to narrow the definition of 'social issue' so much. I think we can probably add A STRANGE LOOP to the mix now, too. 

Updated On: 9/6/23 at 04:44 PM

Videos