pixeltracker

THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season- Page 2

THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#25THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 2/12/18 at 4:03pm

I really hope that Daisy Eagan is used as Martha. Also, if there was already a pre-Broadway production going, why start from scratch with a new director? This is very strange.

broadwayboy223
#26THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 2/12/18 at 4:16pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "I really hope that Daisy Eagan is used as Martha. Also, if there was already a pre-Broadway production going, why start from scratch with a new director? This is very strange."

My guess? I would think maybe the investors weren't happy with the "pre Broadway" production and want a fresh production. Who knows honestly 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#27THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 2/12/18 at 4:21pm

Or maybe the prior productions were only used to work out all the modifications Lucy Simon and Marsha Norman wanted to make before going for a full-scale Broadway production.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#28THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 2/12/18 at 4:43pm

Shoutout to the person that mentioned that Michael Arden would have been a great choice for this.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#29THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 2/12/18 at 4:46pm

What do you guys think? Will this be heading in a Nederlander or Brooks Atkinson size house?

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#30THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 2/12/18 at 4:49pm

I would think this would have another regional tryout somewhere. The last production didn't fare so well, so its ambitious to think this (presumably) totally different production would open cold on Broadway.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

mikey2573
#31THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 2/12/18 at 7:38pm

Carlyle seems an odd choice for director, him being known primarily as a choreographer.  TSG is really an actors musical and not much of a dancing musical (unless they go for the foot-stomping, dancing servants like the ill-advised London version--PLEASE GOD, NO!).   Also, TSG is  a show where the humor really needs to be mined from the characters,  and actors will need a strong director to do that.  Otherwise, TSG can be a very solemn, somber piece. 

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#32THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 2/13/18 at 1:50am

Actually Jeff the London production had many changes/revisions. 

I just hope a revival isn’t stripped down and has a production on par with the original. 

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "Or maybe the prior productions were only used to work out all the modifications Lucy Simon and Marsha Norman wanted to make before going for a full-scale Broadway production."

A Director
#33THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 2/13/18 at 1:57am

The major flaw of the musical is the focus is on the adults not the children!

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#34THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 2/13/18 at 6:55am

GeorgeandDot said: "Shoutout to the person that mentioned that Michael Arden would have been a great choice for this."

I think Bartlett Sher would've been a great choice for The Secret Garden. Or maybe John Doyle could've done something interesting with it being pared-down.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#35THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 2/21/18 at 4:31pm

Probably a longshot now but I hope Ben Platt is cast as Dickon!!!!! Ah I really loved the cast they had at the concert 2 years ago! 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#36THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 2/21/18 at 4:39pm

Here's the breakdown for the lab, if that interests you:

http://www.playbill.com/job/the-secret-garden-dev-lab-nyc-epa-022818/00000161-9a12-d2d5-ab7f-fe9325fd0000

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#37THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 2/21/18 at 4:40pm

That breakdown makes me wonder if this new lab is trying to eliminate the ensemble entirely.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

VintageSnarker
#38THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 2/21/18 at 8:07pm

A Director said: "The major flaw of the musical is the focus is on the adults not the children!"

I don't think that's quite the problem but this is one revival where I'd be open to them making some changes to better reconcile the adult plot with the children's plot. I feel like we get too much of her parents, just enough to throw things off but not enough to really make something of those characters. And the villainy feels out of place and while there are some great songs it ultimately functions as a plot device that gets dealt with very quickly at the end.

Also... Laura Osnes? Ramin? Thank God BWW threads aren't in charge of casting.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#39THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 2/21/18 at 8:30pm

He probably wouldn't do it, but Jake Gyllenhaal really would be great as Archibald.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#40THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 2/22/18 at 8:32am

I just hope they don't cut the gothic elements- the ghosts, the madness, the low-key murder mystery. These are what elevate the show. Ultimately, I think audiences respond much less to the ill-tempered girl learning to be an adult, and more to the haunting world she finds herself in.

Owen22
#41THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 2/22/18 at 1:47pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "I really hope that Daisy Eagan is used as Martha. Also, if there was already a pre-Broadway production going, why start from scratch with a new director? This is very strange."

A friend of mine was in the last three incarnations (a tour that hit Seattle, DC and Houston). He said the director (artistic director of 5th Avenue I believe) never had a handle on the show and it actually got worse as the tour progressed. It was meant to come into NY but he predicted (apparently correctly) that this production would never see a Broadway stage.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#43THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 5/9/18 at 2:33pm

Interesting that drew is in the lab when he’s also attached to the broadway bound Dave musical. I know just because he will be in the lab doesn’t mean he’s doing it on broadway, though. Just find it a bit interesting. Also can we talk about how amazing Brooklyn shuck is doing? She’s everywhere at this point. 

edit: I originally read it as if it already happened. My b

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 5/9/18 at 02:33 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#44THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 5/9/18 at 2:34pm

That is QUITE an assembly!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#45THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 5/9/18 at 2:34pm

I'm a fan of a few of these people but am I the only one who thinks this cast is boring?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

BroadwayBeebe
#46THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 5/9/18 at 2:35pm

This is not at all what I was expecting.... Definitely nothing that makes me excited in this lab casting

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#47THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 5/9/18 at 2:40pm

So with Miss Saigon last season, Once on this Island this season, and The Secret Garden next season, should we be prepared for a revival of The Will Rogers Follies the season after to complete the set?

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#48THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 5/9/18 at 3:04pm

I'll admit I was more excited with the casting from the Secret Garden concert two years ago than the casting for this one.  

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#49THE SECRET GARDEN Revival Set for 2018-2019 Season
Posted: 5/9/18 at 3:06pm

I will say that Sierra Boggess is truly perfect for Lily. While I'm personally a big fan of hers, I understand why some people think she's a bit bland—but Lily is one of those roles I think is made for her, regardless of how you feel about her as a performer.

Videos