pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23- Page 2

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23

TommyWho99
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23
Posted: 8/8/23 at 6:58pm

Good to see Here Lies Love holding steady.  Any idea how much the show's running cost is?

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#26Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23
Posted: 8/8/23 at 9:26pm

Dom P said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "quizking101 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "DeMarius Copes and Jarvis Manning both understudy Jerry/Daphne and they both use he/him pronouns, FWIW."

Be that as it may, they are also not the face of the role - they are covering it. There is already precedent set here.

While the average Joe may not care, it’s still not a good look if they recast the main Tony-winning role with a cisgender actor at this juncture in time, especially when there is also many other roles you can celebrity cast (Borle’s, Hicks’, and del Aguila’s immediately come to mind)."

Yeah, they’re already walking dangerously close to the edge with that.

All it would take is for some journalist or influencer to attend when the understudy is on and write a headline like “I went to see Broadway’s first* Tony winning non-binary performer and instead the role was being played by a cis guy.”Egg/face, internet outrage, Comet 2.0….etc.
"

One wonders how they will handle casting for the announced 2024 National tour.
"

One would assume by...once again casting a non-binary performer.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#27Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23
Posted: 8/8/23 at 10:02pm

All this chatter about the type of person needed to replace Ghee is probably irrelevant since I doubt the show will outlast Ghee's contract.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#28Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23
Posted: 8/8/23 at 10:08pm

I hope Here Lies Love can keep this up even after Lea Salonga leaves the show.  I'm assuming she will come back in the winter after doing the sondheim show in London?

Dom P
#29Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23
Posted: 8/8/23 at 10:18pm

Mr. Wormwood said: "All this chatter about the type of person needed to replace Ghee is probably irrelevant since I doubt the show will outlast Ghee's contract."

The capacity % is certainly reason for concern. I don't believe anyone wants to see any show fail. It's a head scratcher why this show hasn't caught on more. 

Even more concerning is the "A Beautiful Noise" capacity, %. Not so much of a head scratcher as to why it hadn't caught on. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#30Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23
Posted: 8/8/23 at 10:23pm

I don't think percent capacity means much in the grand scheme of things. For all we know, a show could possibly play to houses over 90% full — and most of the people could be comped / heavily discounted. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Dom P
#31Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23
Posted: 8/8/23 at 11:03pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "I don't think percent capacity means much in the grand scheme of things. For all we know, a show could possibly play to houses over 90% full — and most of the people could be comped / heavily discounted."

It means something when used in conjunction with weekly gross and average ticket price.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#32Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23
Posted: 8/9/23 at 3:09am

EDSOSLO858 said: "I don't think percent capacity means much in the grand scheme of things. For all we know, a show could possibly play to houses over 90% full — and most of the people could be comped / heavily discounted."

I think you're discounting its importance a bit too much. But, your point is valid. Look at Hadestown. One of only three shows to play to 100+% capacity. But, financially, it's clearly nowhere near where it was before the original cast started leaving. 

Updated On: 8/9/23 at 03:09 AM

Lumiere2 Profile Photo
Lumiere2
#33Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23
Posted: 8/9/23 at 11:45am

One last positive Parade post: Not only did it have the highest capacity of any show this week, but can we be impressed its gross came up just 5% short of Hamilton?! For a show with 150 fewer seats to do that, taking on the only reasonable long-running challenger - that's very, very impressive. What a great send off for the production.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#34Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23
Posted: 8/9/23 at 11:53am

Parade had 9 performances so that explains the stronger than normal gross. Great uptick for many shows but Britney needs to make a phone call in the next few weeks. Yikes. 

Jarethan
#35Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23
Posted: 8/9/23 at 12:11pm

Given its average ticket price and the fact that it opened a few weeks ago, things had better change for HLL or it is going to be another well reviewed musical casualty.  What a strange season for new musicals (I know HLL is the new season, but its opening was close enough..); I am imagining that &Juliet may be the only one to eventually turn a profit.  The fact that the biggest new hits were all revivals with ticket selling stars, i.e., Sweeney, Parade and LM in FG, is discouraging, even if they are well done (or in one case have a performance that is on its way to being legendary).  

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#36Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23
Posted: 8/9/23 at 1:08pm

Anyone have an idea what the nut is for Here Lies Love? Numbers are pretty strong, but I so desperately want that show to succeed!

BETTY22
#37Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23
Posted: 8/9/23 at 1:19pm

Play Esq. said: "Anyone have an idea what the nut is for Here Lies Love? Numbers are pretty strong, but I so desperately want that show to succeed!"

It's in the mid $900,000.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#38Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23
Posted: 8/9/23 at 1:54pm

I saw a tiktok of someone questioning if Moulin Rouge will make it past January with last weeks grosses, are its operating costs really that high? I always assumed they hovered around $1M, but if thats true and with the first week of its new stunt cast only pulling in $1.1M as we head into the fall, which will likely be a slower season for the show could they be right and they close up shop early next year?

JSquared2
#39Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23
Posted: 8/9/23 at 2:24pm

bdn223 said: "I saw a tiktok of someone questioning if Moulin Rouge will make it past January with last weeks grosses, are its operating costs really that high? I always assumed they hovered around $1M, but if thats true and with the first week of its new stunt cast only pulling in $1.1M as we head into the fall, which will likely be a slower season for the show could they be right and they close up shop early next year?"

Well, if someone said it on a TikTok video -- it MUST be true!  LOL!!

It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

hearthemsing22
#40Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23
Posted: 8/9/23 at 2:32pm

bdn223 said: "I saw a tiktok of someone questioning if Moulin Rouge will make it past January with last weeks grosses, are its operating costs really that high? I always assumed they hovered around $1M, but if thats true and with the first week of its new stunt cast only pulling in $1.1M as we head into the fall, which will likely be a slower season for the show could they be right and they close up shop early next year?"

My feeling is they'll close sometime next year. Maybe once Casey is done. So they'll make it through the holidays then close up shop after that 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#41Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23
Posted: 8/9/23 at 3:54pm

Moulin Rouge is not even remotely close to being in trouble. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#42Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23
Posted: 8/9/23 at 4:31pm

I fully expect Moulin Rouge to become the next long-running staple of Broadway. Maybe not in the juggernaut league of Wicked and Lion King but more along the lines of ChicagoBook of Mormon, Hamilton and Aladdin.

It will go through its peaks and valleys but will be always be able to sustain itself through those valleys. I also believe Harry Potter has joined the long-runners club as well and will be here for a good while.

Updated On: 8/9/23 at 04:31 PM

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#43Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23
Posted: 8/9/23 at 5:04pm

AKarp2013 said: "I fully expectMoulin Rougeto become the next long-running staple of Broadway. Maybe not in the juggernaut league ofWicked andLion Kingbut more along the lines of Chicago,Book of Mormon, HamiltonandAladdin.

It will go through its peaks and valleys but will be always be able to sustain itself through those valleys. I also believeHarry Potterhas joined the long-runners club as well and will be here for a good while.
"

Yep agreed. It's not going anywhere for a long time. It was looking a little dicey after it reopened and into last summer and I thought it might fizzle out sooner than expected. But it has since seemed to graduate to a reliable tourist stop alongside the other shows you mentioned.

BETTY22
#44Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23
Posted: 8/9/23 at 7:26pm

A friend of mine works for a focus group company and said the response from Britney's fans to her show is devastating.

"If she doesn't want to see it - why would we."

I wonder if they are still trying to get her to visit NYC and the show. You would think she would be more aggressive about the show on all her social media accounts. She has millions and millions of followers. 

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#45Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23
Posted: 8/9/23 at 7:30pm

Guessing BS doesn’t have much of a vested interest in the show since she didn’t write or even co-write the majority of the songs. Doubt she’s gonna see much $$ from it no matter how well it does or doesn’t do. (Just guessing tho.)

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#46Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23
Posted: 8/9/23 at 7:31pm

BETTY22 said: "A friend of mine works for a focus group company and said the response from Britney's fans to her show is devastating.

"If she doesn't want to see it - why would we."

I wonder if they are still trying to get her to visit NYC and the show. You would think she would be more aggressive about the show on all her social media accounts. She has millions and millions of followers.
"

Judging from her social media posts, Britney has very little interest in show business. I think the very idea of the show doesn't really interest or excite her. 

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#47Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23
Posted: 8/9/23 at 9:07pm

FANtomFollies said: "Judging from her social media posts, Britney has very little interest in show business. I think the very idea of the show doesn't really interest or excite her."

One would think that if this was known at the outset, producers might have been less enthused about moving forward. Unless she told them one thing, then did another.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#48Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23
Posted: 8/9/23 at 9:15pm

pethian said: "One would think that if this was known at the outset, producers might have been less enthused about moving forward. Unless she told them one thing, then did another."

It's possible. Or they just assumed the show featuring her music was enough of a draw with or without her involvement. In their defense - I assumed (before it opened) that it would be a big hit too.

TheatreKid3
#49Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/6/23
Posted: 8/9/23 at 10:14pm

Did Parade set a new house record for the Jacobs?

Videos