pixeltracker

PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews- Page 2

PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#25PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
Posted: 9/9/23 at 4:50pm

CarlosAlberto said: "Speaking of marketing or lack thereof, the poster art for the original Broadway production of PURLIE VICTORIOUS made quite a statement.

PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
"

This is gorgeous! Lord, how far we've fallen. I can't take another celebrity head photoshopped in front of a desktop background. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#26PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
Posted: 9/9/23 at 5:43pm

a fine production of a fantastic play.

yes, its a bit of a white savior story. yes, it has some creaky fight scenes and a hokey silliness to it that undermines its cutting dialogue a bunch. 

but i dont laugh out loud often, and this had me going for most of it. its just genuinely funny and three performances in, the cast is nailing most of the humor. Billy Eugene Jones, Jay O Sanders and Heather Alicia Simms are pitch perfect. The play never takes itself too seriously, and neither does Odom Jr., which was a pleasant surprise given how austere and focused his performances usually are. And yet even the tongue-in-cheek pontifications from Odom Jr had me tearing up, the beauty of the language cutting through the character's pompousness and the silliness of some of the scenes (im thinking most of the last one). 

I did think Kara Young was a weak link-- her character calls for a hilarity and sense of humor that Young can't quite reach, though I thought she was fine in the most earnest moments of the show. 

Theater was 2/3 full, at most, but roared in appreciation. The 100 minutes flew by. 

Falsettolands
#27PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
Posted: 9/9/23 at 11:35pm

God, this was just so good.

I was initially hesitant to go so early in the run for fear that there was a lot of fine combing with the comedy. Boy was I wrong. This is uproarious and yet still very measured and precise. Leslie Odom Jr is just so excellent. His monologue during the latter half of the play was so masterfully done.

But for me the real MVP is Kara Young. Hilarious and heartbreaking altogether. All are allowed to have their own thoughts, but I just think she’s one of the best stage actresses we’ve got right now in NYC and she’s totally nailing this.

I don’t usually make a return trip but I think I want to see this again after it opens to see how it grows.I wish I had more “critical” stuff to say but this was genuinely one of the rare few evenings where everything clicks and it’s pure bliss. Fastest 100 minutes I’ve spent in a theatre in several season.

Updated On: 9/9/23 at 11:35 PM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#28PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
Posted: 9/10/23 at 12:31am

I have to join the Hallelujah chorus on this one.

It starts off a little slow, but it’s picked up within 5 minutes and never stops until the ending. Kenny Leon’s pre-show speech describe this as a “racial farce” and I thought it hit all the correct elements of farce on target.

Odom Jr, admittedly, at times feels like he’s a little out of the time period in larger scenes, but that’s rare enough that it’s noticeable in the grander scheme of the play. Kara Young, Billy Eugene Jones, and Heather Alicia Simms are the real MVPs, since they manage to have already calibrated the balance between earnestness, comedy, and caricature. Jones especially comes out swinging with his “Uncle Tom”-style Gitlow and sings quite a few spirituals. He also does a nod to a recent “folding chair” controversy that broke the whole audience. I would honestly say it’s a must see, though it’s prospects might make it this season’s AIN’T NO MO

Sidebar: For those who were hoping for a musical, I will say Odom has an especially melodic delivery of his lines, especially his final monologue, that almost feels song-like.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm
Updated On: 9/10/23 at 12:31 AM

quizking101
#29PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
Posted: 9/10/23 at 12:35am

Separate from my review:

Merch - Windowcard, a few t shirts, a button set, a magnet, and a few other things.

Stage Door - Everyone (plus Kenny Leon) sans Jones, Pyzik, and Timoney. Odom was having extended conversations with everyone and could not have been more polite. Him and Kara seemed genuinely grateful that people came to support the show and encouraged us to spread the word.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#30PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
Posted: 9/10/23 at 2:01am

Anything interesting with the design or direction ?

Falsettolands
#31PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
Posted: 9/10/23 at 7:18am

RippedMan said: "Anything interesting with the design or direction ?"

My usual complaints with Leon’s direction is most of his shows have such a light hand that it feels like there isn’t a lot of method in the choices. This is a rare exception. A light hand that works. The transitions from the moments of comedy into the parts of the show where Purlie puts himself in great danger are done with such an understanding of keeping a layer of comedy under everything. Leon let’s the play work as written and doesn’t put anything on it, and the framework at the top of the show  (having the actors come on and assume costumes, set the first scene) more or less is just there to let us know to sit forward and laugh

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#32PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
Posted: 9/10/23 at 10:12am

quizking101 said: "
He also does a nod to a recent “folding chair” controversy that broke the whole audience."

Oh that’s what that was! I saw the show last night and when he picked up a folding chair and pretended to swing it and the audience wildly cheered and laughed I had no idea what was going on or why it was supposed to be funny. Myself and the people on either side of me  (who were all laughing constantly throughout the show) all thought we missed something in the show that it was referencing.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
#33PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
Posted: 9/10/23 at 10:56am

Cape Twirl of Doom said: "quizking101 said: "
He also does a nod to a recent “folding chair” controversy that broke the whole audience."

Oh that’s what that was! I saw the show last night and when he picked up a folding chair and pretended to swing it and the audience wildly cheered and laughed I had no idea what was going on or why it was supposed to be funny. Myself and the people on either side of me (who were all laughing constantly throughout the show) all thought we missed something in the show that it was referencing.
"

I still have no idea what this is referring to. Is it the recent bare bones "A Dolls House"?

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#34PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
Posted: 9/10/23 at 12:02pm

This was a wonderful time at the theater. It was joyful, challenging, funny, and incredibly energetic. Kenny's direction works beautifully here (as someone mentioned with a light hand) and everything just clicks. The cast had amazing chemistry and the stand outs for me were Leslie, Kara, and Heather. 

And I'm not a huge fan of Leslie Odom Jr but that final monologue? Enjoy your second Tony, Sir. 

Updated On: 9/27/23 at 12:02 PM

MemorableUserName
#35PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
Posted: 9/10/23 at 12:27pm

George in DC said: "Cape Twirl of Doom said: "quizking101 said: "

Oh that’s what that was! I saw the show last night and when he picked up a folding chair and pretended to swing it and the audience wildly cheered and laughed I had no idea what was going on or why it was supposed to be funny. Myself and the people on either side of me (who were all laughing constantly throughout the show) all thought we missed something in the show that it was referencing.
"

I still have no idea what this is referring to. Is it the recent bare bones "A Dolls House"?
"

Black riverboat captain in Montgomery, Alabama, asks white boaters in pontoon boat who are in his boat's designated berth to move. They refuse for 45 minutes. When he gets off his boat to try moving their boat himself, the white men gang up on him and start beating him. Black people who are nearby immediately rush to defend him, including one man who starts hitting the white attackers with a folding chair.

A waterfront brawl in Montgomery, Alabama, went viral. What happened and why?

How A Folding Chair Won The Montgomery Brawl — and The Internet

To many Black social media users, it's more than just a viral video

The Black History of the Montgomery Brawl Folding Chair

The folding chair — a design of which was patented by a Black American inventor — has emerged as an iconic motif of the viral scene.

PipingHotPiccolo
#36PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
Posted: 9/10/23 at 5:40pm

RippedMan said: "Anything interesting with the design or direction ?"

Its a decent set, with multiple moving parts to place us in three different settings throughout. Definitely cost some cash to put together.

Ke3
#37PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
Posted: 9/12/23 at 10:48pm

Saw the Sunday matinee. The most striking thing about this is how not dated it was. Kenny Leon gave a speech beforehand asking us to "meet it halfway" which had terrified I was about to sit through a museum piece. Instead it was ridiculously funny omg. Everyone was very good to me, but Kara Young and Jay O. Sanders physical comedy was a standout. Vanessa Bell Calloway also shined in a fairly small part. Like I said though, they were all good. It was really delivers on the farce even though it's very much a message play with some of those messages spoken directly to the audience.

I'm fairly neutral on Leslie Odom Jr, so I didn't expect a good or bad time but I thought he was great. Great at the comedy but his shining moment is very dramatic and intense. Which ties into my feeling about the ending being the white savior trope. It's really not to my mind. Purlie's desired ending could only come that way, but more importantly him getting his desired ending is just the icing. The true meat and potatoes is what Purlie says before the final reveal. That's what stops it from being a white savior story. He realizes what he wants is bigger than what he thought he wanted and stands on it.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#38PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
Posted: 9/14/23 at 7:27am

Has anyone done the Telecharge digital lottery for this? If so, where were the seats? Also, how are the far side seats in the orchestra for this show? Thank you!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

quizking101
#39PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
Posted: 9/14/23 at 8:15am

bwayphreak234 said: "Has anyone done the Telecharge digital lottery for this? If so, where were the seats? Also, how are the far side seats in the orchestra for this show? Thank you!"

For the Saturday evening show, my friend from college actually got Orchestra C2. 

As a general rule for most shows I see at the Music Box, I would avoid the double digit numbered seats until you are at least halfway back in the orchestra (Row J or further) or you risk cutting off sightlines.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#40PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
Posted: 9/14/23 at 8:25am

quizking101 said: "bwayphreak234 said: "Has anyone done the Telecharge digital lottery for this? If so, where were the seats? Also, how are the far side seats in the orchestra for this show? Thank you!"

For the Saturday evening show, my friend from college actually got Orchestra C2.

As a general rule for most shows I see at the Music Box, I would avoid the double digit numbered seats until you are at least halfway back in the orchestra (Row J or further) or you risk cutting off sightlines.
"

Noted - thanks so much, quikzking!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

bigbelterbaby
#41PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
Posted: 9/14/23 at 10:14am

PURLIE VICTORIOUS PreviewsMartin Luther King backstage with the original cast of Purlie Victorious

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#42PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
Posted: 9/15/23 at 9:09pm

Seeing it tomorrow matinee.

I would imagine anyone in the theatre world or others just interested in theatre would know that the title Purlie Victorious is a play and not the musical Purlie. All others just have to Google the title to know which piece they’re seeing. In this day and age it always perplexes me to overhear people in an audience not knowing a little something about what they paid, in some instances, a great deal of money for. 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#43PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
Posted: 9/15/23 at 11:16pm

I see Alan Alda there.  I wonder if they will get him to come out for this new production?  He's the only one in this photo still alive.

bigbelterbaby said: "PURLIE VICTORIOUS PreviewsMartin Luther King backstage with the original cast of Purlie Victorious"

Blue_Lotus Profile Photo
Blue_Lotus
#44PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
Posted: 9/16/23 at 12:21am

...i am an infinite soul in a human body who is in the process of never ending growth...
Updated On: 9/17/23 at 12:21 AM

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#45PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
Posted: 9/16/23 at 1:56pm

It’s not a huge leap to hear “Leslie Odom Jr is coming back to Broadway” and assume it’s a musical. I’m still wondering why they chose the play over the musical myself, but it’s not a big deal either way.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

quizking101
#46PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
Posted: 9/16/23 at 2:12pm

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "It’s not a huge leap to hear “Leslie Odom Jr is coming back to Broadway” and assume it’s a musical. I’m still wondering why they chose the play over the musical myself, but it’s not a big deal either way."

Not sure if this clarifies anything but LOJ did say at the stage door last week that he’d been “working on this for years” so there is a distinct possibility this could’ve come earlier than it did, but a pandemic and other circumstances (movie roles, starting a family) got in the way…

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#47PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
Posted: 9/16/23 at 2:16pm

I rush around 10:30 today and got third row orchestra. Saw Gutenburg! last night and had an incredible time so this will have a hard time living up to it!

TimeToStartLivin
#48PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
Posted: 9/16/23 at 4:04pm

I was interested in your comment about Leon coming out to talk about the show. I think that is a failure of the show to speak for itself. I try to read as little as possible about the shows I see, and I don't read the Playbill until after I've seen the show. It's like going to an art gallery and the "artist's statement" is posted next to the art. If your art does not speak for itself, without explanation, then the art has failed to communicate.

houseleft

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#49PURLIE VICTORIOUS Previews
Posted: 9/16/23 at 10:45pm

Normally I'm not a huge fan of comedic straight plays, but this was such a great time. The show has an incredible blend of humor and seriousness, it works so well. I was a bit thrown off by some of Young's choices, but overall I think she killed it in the most comedic moments. Some of the smaller lines felt a little odd, but those came and went quickly. 

I enjoyed so much I genuinely can't believe this show hasn't been performed in so long! While Odom's monologue towards the end was very good, I found myself more moved by the smaller "throwaway" type lines strewn about (I can't remember some of them but I loved the Abe Lincoln one.)

One thing I noticed was the audience laughing at things that seemed... not funny. I think it was probably because the show has so many jokes it's hard to tell when they're serious, but it felt odd. Also probably could be because of people feeling awkward, I know audiences tend to do that when they're nervous or surprised. 

I also did not get the folding chair joke, and honsetly I can't believe that so many others did!!! The entire theater was uprorious, I had no idea what was going on lol.

As someone else said, the 100 minutes really flew by. Between this tonight and Gutenburg yesterday I'm having an INCREDIBLE weekend for theater!

Videos