alxscrz2
#25re: ROSIE Live!
Posted: 11/26/08 at 9:02pm

Thank god the show is over. It was sooo corny and cheesey

Amalia Balash Profile Photo
Amalia Balash
#26re: ROSIE Live!
Posted: 11/26/08 at 9:07pm

If it has been picked up, I don't think I'm going to bother watching until someone tells me it's gotten a lot better than what I saw tonight.

yankeegal Profile Photo
yankeegal
#27re: ROSIE Live!
Posted: 11/26/08 at 9:09pm

It was better than I thought it would be, which isn't saying a whole lot. Liza and Jane K. were great, the rest was kind of odd. I'll give it another shot, kind of nice to have a live variety show on, but she needs some new writers and better guests (and more Broadway numbers, lol)!

Paul W. Thompson Profile Photo
Paul W. Thompson
#28re: ROSIE Live!
Posted: 11/26/08 at 9:10pm

I thought it was great! Clearly, Rosie is a goddess. Definitely.

So many amazing stars in a one hour show. Who else could do that?

And yes, there were definitely some acts that were there for network or red state reasons. But come on, a show with gay innuendo, Liza, cute boys, more than one legitimate Broadway performer, surprises, musical numbers, and "Urinetown" characters? I think I'm in heaven.........

God, I hope people were watching and it got good ratings. I'd forgotten how wonderful Ed Sullivan was for New York and the whole country.

Rosie, we love you!!!!!!!

Updated On: 11/26/08 at 09:10 PM

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#29re: ROSIE Live!
Posted: 11/26/08 at 9:14pm

I am sorry to say this.. I am sure most of you wont agree.. its just my opinion..

Overall- the show is so uninspired, boring and a complete disaster, considering I love Rosie.. I was expecting more from her. I just fast forward it. Love some parts like kathy Griffin & Alanis..but overall- it was BORING!

I wish Rosie did something more inventive! it looks like she never really reinvent VARIETY SHOW at all...someone mention this at OT.. The show looks like the tree-lighting ceremony show at NBC! It was nothing special...very uninspired! I am very disappointed! re: ROSIE Live!

I wish Rosie O' Donell the best for her show~its just I did the see her BEST tonight!

J*

Updated On: 11/26/08 at 09:14 PM

flahooley2
#30re: ROSIE Live!
Posted: 11/26/08 at 9:21pm

Rosie just singlehandedly killed the variety show. Unless it get's big ratings. Then we will have to suffer through more of this badly lit, badly written, badly produced, badly executed embarrassment.

Ole Chum
#31re: ROSIE Live!
Posted: 11/26/08 at 9:23pm

BORING!

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#32re: ROSIE Live!
Posted: 11/26/08 at 9:24pm

CapnHook post this at OT:

Hunter Foster, Seth Rudetsky, Janette Barber, and Eric Kornfeld wrote the show.

Directed by Richard-Jay Alexander.

WOW. Just wow! I was suprised how bad it is! re: ROSIE Live! (considerin I like those guys!) I am shocked!

J*

Updated On: 11/26/08 at 09:24 PM

Paul W. Thompson Profile Photo
Paul W. Thompson
#33re: ROSIE Live!
Posted: 11/26/08 at 9:29pm

Sidebar (if we're taking the gloves off): I thought Alanis Morrisette was dreadful. She clearly didn't fit in with the rest of the show. I had no idea what words she was trying to produce, and she looked like a cross between Linda Eder and Kathy Lee Gifford, and not in a good way.

Keep the guest door, Little Sally, and the backup dancers. And find as many Broadway stars who are known on Main Street (and a few who aren't) and book them! And try to keep to a minimum the guests who have a name but who have no talent, or at least none lately.

aroundalongtime
#34re: ROSIE Live!
Posted: 11/26/08 at 9:33pm

I'm sorry, Rosie fans. I checked in several times and every time she was performing with one of her guests. She sings a little, dances a bit and reads a script. But who wrote: "Liza, my G_D, what are you doing here", "Jane, if we had only known you were available we would have saved some time for you to sing", and "Clay, what are you doing here? You're supposed to be on the stage". Rosie produced this so had at least some right to fix the script. Those were the three intro's I heard, but there could have been seven more. She sang, off off key with Liza and Gloria, pretended to dance with kids just learning to dance, and praised two pretty good guy dancers as if they were the Step Brothers.

I think Rosie is a fine and fun daytime talk show host. She simply is not going to be able to participate in nearly every act in a primetime variety show, unless she books more like that kids dance group.

The reviews, in my opinion, may well be dreadful. Rosie does best with a desk.

renaibr
#35re: ROSIE Live!
Posted: 11/26/08 at 9:39pm

Did anyone else notice in the credits that Hunter Foster was
a writer?

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#36re: ROSIE Live!
Posted: 11/26/08 at 9:40pm

Awful. Just awful. Even Alec Baldwin was terrible! Give Liza her own variety show.

SNLMedia Profile Photo
SNLMedia
#37re: ROSIE Live!
Posted: 11/26/08 at 9:41pm

renaibr, Hunter wrote the Little Sally bit.

"The world is a better place because of hairspray." - Michael Ball

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#38re: ROSIE Live!
Posted: 11/26/08 at 9:50pm

I liked it. i think if they give her a budget she may have an excellent show.

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

jazzicat Profile Photo
jazzicat
#39re: ROSIE Live!
Posted: 11/26/08 at 10:17pm

I posted in the other thread-- just wanted to restate my support for this show and that I'm glad to see that some others agree. I think we need this type of show now and I simply request less comedy, more raw talent. Oh and less Rosie being scripted funny, more Rosie being herself.

Loved every minute, but my first thought is I think Rosie NEEDS a desk, she is too awkward just standing there and I miss the desk from her old show.

But I love the concept, love the idea of seeing rotations of awesome, amazing talent without a competition or mindless hawking of movies or pet projects. She shouldn't focus too much on skits, instead.. just let the randomness of great performances speak for themselves. I think she should do 3 min interviews with the "unknowns" as this could be their big break.ie how I always imagined the beatles on Ed Sullivan (too young to have seen this). She should also give the ledgends a chance to talk as who knows how long their precious time is.

She should also feel free to just talk in the beginning about any topic she feels warrants attention.

Imagine in one night seeing a performance of a scene from Billy Elliot roll into a performance by Jonie Mitchell cut to a Target commercial and pick up with a performance by my personal fave Dave Matthews and swoop into a performance by Yo Yo Ma. Perfection.

This is what we love about awards shows--without the awards. And American Idol without Randy and Paula. It's the performances. That is what we want to see. Craftmasters doing their best.

I am so happy to have this format return, ironically during another depression. It was so relaxing to sit with my husband sipping a glass of wine. Reminded me of when I used to watch the Muppet Show every night as a kid with my parents. No wine back then.

Kudos to Rosie and her team. Can't wait until the next showing.

JEK216 Profile Photo
JEK216
#40re: ROSIE Live!
Posted: 11/26/08 at 10:20pm

That was a monumental waste of time. Rosie has no singing, acting, dancing, or hosting talent. The writing was horrible. I don't think giving her a bigger budget would help much. Class is something that can't be bought. The woman is tacky and so was her show. Hated it.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." G. Marx

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#41re: ROSIE Live!
Posted: 11/26/08 at 10:20pm

Posting it twice doesn't make it the show that aired.

The show that aired was bad.

jazzicat Profile Photo
jazzicat
#42re: ROSIE Live!
Posted: 11/26/08 at 10:29pm

sorry, the other thread felt like it might get deleted and I wanted there to be some positive reviews.

Ok, it was not perfect, but maybe I like the idea of a celebrity talent show. I mean MTV no longer plays music videos and we've all seen how skits can be dreadfully unfunny on SNL--so maybe it works. Perhaps she should call it a Talent Show instead of a variety show.

There are kinks they just need to work out how thee direction for the show. And jeez, how about adding some female writers. Very diversified writing staff there.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#43re: ROSIE Live!
Posted: 11/26/08 at 10:30pm

jazzicat, you're on to something.
The show needs a different "feel"
If not a desk than at least a place
where Rosie can greet and talk "real" if only
for a few seconds.
The show needed a director with a vision.
Jay-Alexander certainly knows how to produce and work with Divas, Hello Streisand"
But it need s focus and a "View"
Cause Rosie can get almost any talent shw wants and if she stands back a bit and combines her Broadway chums with Newcomers and Seasoned friends actually performing a whole song (Where was chum Christine Ebersole?)
Pull it together, get a night where more Bway performers are available and drop the written banter and be ,more organic.
Hare Krishna to the show.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#44re: ROSIE Live!
Posted: 11/26/08 at 10:30pm

Starting with her Make-up and Hair, fire those people,
With the underwear she discuseed she looked body-wise,
fine for a fat girl (she calls herself that)
But that hair and those lips???
Lose them.
Updated On: 11/26/08 at 10:30 PM

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#45re: ROSIE Live!
Posted: 11/26/08 at 10:39pm

It was almost as painful as the first preview of PAL JOEY!

Lynnespock2
#46re: ROSIE Live!
Posted: 11/26/08 at 10:40pm

I love Rosie. I want to like this show. There was too much going on and yet not enough going on.

I hope it improves. It would be nice to have a variety show out of NYC!

Live long and prosper. Marriage equity now!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#47re: ROSIE Live!
Posted: 11/26/08 at 10:40pm

Posting it twice doesn't make it the show that aired.

The show that aired was bad.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#48re: ROSIE Live!
Posted: 11/26/08 at 10:41pm

Was Michael Balderrama in the opening number?

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

broadfan327
#49re: ROSIE Live!
Posted: 11/26/08 at 10:43pm

What gifts did the audience receive?

Videos