2024 Tony Awards

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#5502024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:07pm

Now I am worried about the acting categories!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

DrMonicaDeMoneco Profile Photo
DrMonicaDeMoneco
#5512024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:08pm

Hold it shake it break it… oh geez nooooo make it stop!

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#5522024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:08pm

Water just sold tickets.  So far my favorite of the evening.

Dan6
#5532024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:11pm

Trying to put myself in the position of someone who hasn’t seen any of these shows, W4E was the first performance that made me think I wanted to see it. 

OhHiii
#5542024 Tony Awards

Yeah that was as close to thrilling as we’ve gotten thus far. 

RW3
#5552024 Tony Awards

PipingHotPiccolo said: "thoughts from the first hour:

* what insane hex has Ariana DeBose put on the producers of awards shows? when does it run out? Just dreadful. Shes not funny. No ones writing funny for her. The Hells Kitchen performance *was* the opener.

* camera work, yikes. I knew Jay Z and Alicia were at a grand staircase in Linc Center but without ever panning OUT, it looked like she had to go find him because he got lost in a random stairwell.

* Jeremy Strong and Kara Young-- just too much rambling. This is why people dont watch awards shows! And Townsend was just riffing whatever popped into his head? The hubris.

* Taymor win is great and THIS is a tight, concise speech, ironically from the one true surprise tonight!

* I know, i know, im not supposed to say this but: is Lindsay Mendez just performing the role of a pregnant Mary? I had not realized how far along she is and, i mean, talk about something not making sense in a role. How confusing for the audience? Am I nuts? I find this shocking.

To your last point, just shut the f*ck up. 

gibsons2
#5562024 Tony Awards

WFE definitely sold their strongest elements of the show, made me want to see this show again. It's no wonder it's doing well at the box office 

FLarnhill Profile Photo
FLarnhill
#5572024 Tony Awards

So disrespectful how they played off Jeremy. His speech wasn't as long as Kara's.

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#5582024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:12pm

Dan6 said: "Trying to put myself in the position of someone who hasn’t seen any of these shows, W4E was the first performance that made me think I wanted to see it."

I'm someone who hasn't seen any of these shows, and that's exactly how I feel.

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#5592024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:13pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "i know, im not supposed to say this but: is Lindsay Mendez just performing the role of a pregnant Mary? I had not realized how far along she is and, i mean, talk about something not making sense in a role. How confusing for the audience? Am I nuts? I find this shocking."

I actually didn’t notice and I knew she was pregnant, so it might not read from the stage

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#5602024 Tony Awards

I found Water For Elephants so bland and boring. 

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#5612024 Tony Awards

So when is Merrily booked for London and when?

Updated On: 6/16/24 at 09:13 PM

Observation
#5622024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:14pm

Dan6 said: "Trying to put myself in the position of someone who hasn’t seen any of these shows, W4E was the first performance that made me think I wanted to see it."

As someone in this exact position, If I were in NYC, I would prioritize a ticket for Water For Elephants. Aside from some of the terrible camera work (obvs not performers fault) I was enthralled! 

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#5632024 Tony Awards

Thrilled for Outsiders. SO deserved on all fronts and I'm looking forward to more wins for them this evening.

Water For Elephants actively made me want to see the show less, and I already wasn't that interested.

Merrily has had the most entertaining performance so far.

I echo the thoughts re: the opening number and Ariana. Yaaawn.

Peter Barker
#5642024 Tony Awards

I agree. This was the only performance that had a sense of theater. The rest were variety show segments.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5652024 Tony Awards

Wick3 said: "Were Jonathan Groff, Daniel Radcliffe, and Lindsay Mendez good friends before they worked together on Merrily at NYTW late 2022?"

Groff and Mendez, yes. Neither knew Radcliffe.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 6/16/24 at 09:14 PM

B.JAMES Profile Photo
B.JAMES
#5662024 Tony Awards

Updated On: 6/16/24 at 09:14 PM

starlightlocamotion
#5672024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:15pm

lol I’m enjoying the upsets. Keep them coming. Keeping the night interesting. But truly stunned by Maria not winning for direction.

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#5682024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:17pm

Well Wade McCollum is my new crush

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#5692024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:17pm

"You dressed me on Equus" more like undressed LOL

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#5702024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:18pm

I'm in the minority, but I still cannot even construe what W4E is about. Is it an acrobatic spectacle? A heartbreaking romance? I still have no clue and I didn't really like the performance enough to put this on a "to watch in June" shortlist.

ElephantLoveMedley
#5712024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:19pm

I was rooting for Lindsay but couldn't be more thrilled for Kecia Lewis. She was transcendent. 

gibsons2
#5722024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:23pm

dearalanaaaa said: "I'm in the minority, but I still cannot even construe what W4E is about. Is it an acrobatic spectacle? A heartbreaking romance? I still have no clue and I didn't really like the performance enough to put this on a "to watch in June" shortlist."

It's both, a romantic story and an acrobatic spectacle. I delayed seeing this show for months and after I saw it, I wondered why did it take me so long. It should definitely be on your list, it's a fantastic show.

DrMonicaDeMoneco Profile Photo
DrMonicaDeMoneco
#5732024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:25pm

Miss platt… those shoes… guuuurl

starlightlocamotion
#5742024 Tony Awards
Posted: 6/16/24 at 9:27pm

Rooting for ILLINOISE OR W4E to pull the ultimate upset of the evening. I continue to be surprised by the wins tonight. 

Videos