pixeltracker

The 74th Annual Tony Awards (2021) - News & Discussion Thread- Page 27

The 74th Annual Tony Awards (2021) - News & Discussion Thread

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#65074th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 11:33pm

The duets and solo performances were beautiful, but overall I just felt like there should’ve been some more high-energy numbers. The RENT number was amazing and I feel like the show could’ve ended after that. Freestyle Love Supreme just felt kinda..cheesy.

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#65174th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 11:39pm

YvanEhtNioj said: " Freestyle Love Supreme just felt kinda..cheesy. "

Agreed but I always feel Miranda is corny and it reaffirmed that freestyle love supreme is simply not for me. 

SoCalDirector
#65274th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 11:40pm

bjh2114 said: "How does Adam sound better than he did 25 years ago? WILD"

And Adam looked incredible. 50 suits him.

Miles Robert Mills

theatrekid3302
#65374th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 11:46pm

YvanEhtNioj said: "The duets and solo performances were beautiful, but overall I just felt like there should’ve been some more high-energy numbers. The RENT number was amazing and I feel like the show could’ve ended after that. Freestyle Love Supreme just felt kinda..cheesy."

The Show should have ended with Idina Menzel and Kristen Chenoweth with Rent before it and with an additional rent number and the rest of the numbers after cut. I think this years tony awards failed to promote current broadway productions more. To be a welcome back to broadway show.  There should have been performances from Phantom and The Lion King. Most of the first two hours were very dry and boring. Idina and Kristen stole the show. The Wicked Producers are idiots if they dont bring them back to broadway or cast them in the movie. 

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#65474th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 11:48pm

Kristen and Idina seemed to have mended some fences with that performance. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#65574th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 11:56pm

I think that is what got me the most emotional. Everyone knows Kristin & idina have had a potentially challenging relationship, but you could feel their connection and emotion and love for one another here much more than in recent performances. It felt…healing. And after these last 19 challenging months, don’t we all need that?

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#65674th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 11:58pm

Miles2Go2 said: "I think that is what got me the most emotional. Everyone knows Kristin & idina have had a potentially challenging relationship, but you could feel their connection and emotion and love for one another here much more than in recent performances. It felt…healing. And after these last 19 challenging months, don’t we all need that?"

Precisely how it felt to me. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I think that the last two years forced everyone, celebrities included, to think about what really matters in life and old difficulties just don't matter as much anymore. I thought it was one of the most beautiful moments of the night.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#65774th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/27/21 at 12:01am

Yes. I had the same thoughts!

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#65874th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/27/21 at 12:07am

filming the production numbers has the added advantage of saving a boatload of money. I think the live performances gave the live audience their money's worth. 

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#65974th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/27/21 at 12:12am

The duets were just magnificent, but Audra and Brian really took it over the top. Tears.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#66074th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/27/21 at 12:12am

Audra and Brian, my God

Kristin & Idina were great too (and Anthony & Adam for that matter). 

All four hours were well done from a technical standpoint. Audra and Leslie did a great job as hosts. I was very impressed all the way around.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#66174th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/27/21 at 12:13am

Tag said: "How crazy to see Peter Wright honored in the memoriam, and he died on that very stage last year."

Yes. That really hit me when his face and name came up.

Just give the world Love.

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#66274th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/27/21 at 12:17am

Broadway Joe said: "YvanEhtNioj said: "Freestyle Love Supreme just felt kinda..cheesy. "

Agreed but I always feel Miranda is corny and it reaffirmed that freestyle love supreme is simply not for me.
"

I've seen the show several times. It's not long w/no intermission and was rather good and fun.  

Lin was only at one of the shows I saw. They have guest rappers come with the regulars who play instruments and beatbox.  They seek story concepts from the audience and then create a rap based on those.  Think I paid approx $40 for standing room & was able to sit in empty seats.

Only thing I didn't enjoy was inability to get a pic at the curtain call since everyone has to put their phones in a yondr.  

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#66374th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/27/21 at 12:26am

Los Angeles here… After seeing the MOULIN ROUGE opening number, every Broadway producer should mandate that scenes from their shows be shot in the theatres they’re playing in! If they all collectively demand it, it will happen.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#66474th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/27/21 at 12:33am

BroadwayGirl107 said: "Absolutely astounding that Jagged Little Pill didn’t do You Oughta Know. It’s the only reason to see the show."

I was just waiting for it. I thought they were going to end the performance with it. Was shocked she wasn't in the presentation especially since she was nominated. (And won)

VintageSnarker
#66574th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/27/21 at 12:40am

MemorableUserName said: "gibsons2 said: "MemorableUserName said: "Ugh. Danny B's win means the night is still a success ... but Jagged Little Pill winning for that book is a disgrace."

The other two musicals don't even have a "book". Controversies aside, MR and Tina have truly awful books.
"

I don't disagree that they're bad. I do contend that JLP's book is even worse. Neither MR nor Tina would be a good winner. JLP is an appalling one.
"

An awards show with only one disappointing win is not bad at all. Can someone post a photo of this Tony Awards mask?

Theatrefanboy1
#66674th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/27/21 at 12:40am

This IMO was a very unfortunate show. I was terribly bored. Until the last ten minutes Kristin and idina and Adam and Anthony ( those two how are they still that good)

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#66774th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/27/21 at 12:59am

uncageg said: "BroadwayGirl107 said: "Absolutely astounding that Jagged Little Pill didn’t do You Oughta Know. It’s the only reason to see the show."

I was just waiting for it. I thought they were going to end the performance with it. Was shocked she wasn't in the presentation especially since she was nominated. (And won)

"

I'm honestly still beside myself and kinda enraged about this. I don't really love that show, but that number is absolutely thrilling. It would have sold so many tickets...and it would have made the broadcast so much more exciting. 

Instead they chose to focus on the actor who isn't even coming back to the show, who is cute but mediocre---truly dumbfounded. Even given the controversy around Patten. 

SFFrontRow
#66874th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/27/21 at 1:01am

SouthernCakes said: "“Move on” (from my favorite show) didn’t work for me. Both great singers but, eh, I don’t know. Didn’t work for me. I find Platt hard to be into. Something about him. His ticks don’t work for me. And I didn’t think Rose sounded great. Didn’t suit her voice."

I love Anika Noni Rose, Platt not so much, but...

with Jake and Annaleigh in the house, why didn’t they sing it? Or the originals Bernadette and Mandy?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#66974th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/27/21 at 1:11am

SFFrontRow said: "SouthernCakes said: "“Move on” (from my favorite show) didn’t work for me. Both great singers but, eh, I don’t know. Didn’t work for me. I find Platt hard to be into. Something about him. His ticks don’t work for me. And I didn’t think Rose sounded great. Didn’t suit her voice."

I love Anika Noni Rose, Platt not so much, but...

with Jake and Annaleigh in the house, why didn’t they sing it?Or theoriginals Bernadette and Mandy?
"

Maybe they were asked and declined. I was fine with Anika and Platt. 

For me the most thrilling moment was Audra and Brian Stokes. I sat here breathless with tears in my eyes. I got a call just before that segment started and hit record on my DVR. I have already watched them a few times. They were simply breathtaking.

NameGreg Profile Photo
NameGreg
#67074th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/27/21 at 1:23am

Really liked both Audra and Leslie as hosts. Wish the former had more to do, but that duet with Stokes was incredible, so that more than makes up for it. Two of the greatest theatre giants of all time. I really hope Brian comes back to Broadway soon, it’s been too long. And Leslie’s numbers throughout were all delightful. Love seeing him and Nicolette sharing that duet, and he and Josh Groban sounded beautiful and were funny. Part of what I really liked about the hosts was it didn’t feel like they were trying too hard to be jokesters, they were just very charismatic emcees. With all the recent award shows filled with jokes that bomb, I’d like to see more hosts like that.

Performances were here and there. Wasn’t too impressed with Moulin Rogue, though it was solid and I liked seeing Danny having so much fun onstage. Jagged Little Pill was alright, Gooding - who I just learned is LaChanze’s daughter - was strong. Adrienne Warren was brilliant in that Tina performance, easily the best of the nominees, even if the show is apparently the weakest of them. Embodying Tina Turner can not be easy, but she aced it.

As for the winners, a lot of lovely speeches, I just wish I got to see any of their work. Danny Burstein is a total class act and I’m so happy that that his many years of brilliant work have been recognized especially after all the heartbreak he’s been through. He would’ve won regardless of it all though. Aaron Tveit very likely wouldn’t have, but I like him both as a performer and person and I’m just glad they didn’t humiliate the poor guy. You gotta wonder what the Lightning Thief’s lead thought about the whole thing. Glad Olivo wasn’t there to see all the people she burned bridges with winning, that would’ve been so incredibly awkward. Also very happy to see the always excellent Lois Smith getting awards love into her nineties. Here’s hoping she’s got even more excellence to show.

Aside from learning more about the mess on all sides of the Jagged Little Pill controversy, it was a pleasant evening seeing shows welcomed back. Honestly though, I wish they could’ve showcased some scenes from plays like they used to years ago. With only three musicals to perform, it would’ve been the perfect opportunity to bring that back.

“Somebody stop me before I sing again” - Bazzard

MadsonMelo
#67174th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/27/21 at 1:26am

I completely LOVED those 4 hours, I'm still soooo happy!

The winners, the speechs, the upsets by ''The Inheritance'' in Play & Actor, wow!

I loved the pre-taped performances by the Musical Nominees, ''Moulin Rouge!'' and ''Tina!'' were perfect. ''Jagged'' felt ok, kinda make me not want to see the show next year hahaha

Parker <3 Burstein, FINALLY! <3 Warren is the best!

Those duets, especially Kristin/Idina and Brian/Audra were musical heaven!

Really great Tony Awards!

A Director
#67274th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/27/21 at 1:45am

Jordan Levinson said: "

What do you mean?SIXis eligible next year."

Flying Over Sunset is eligible next year!

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#67374th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/27/21 at 2:12am

Even if Six had been eligible this year, I would’ve picked Moulin Rouge or Jagged Little Pill over it.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#67474th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/27/21 at 2:20am

SoCalDirector said: "bjh2114 said: "How does Adam sound better than he did 25 years ago? WILD"

And Adam looked incredible. 50 suits him.
"

OMG Yes! So hot! I thought the first half was better because awards were given out and it felt more intimate. There was a sense of community (per usual) and more interaction with the audience. They should have replayed Jennifer Hudson on the CBS broadcast along with some of the award winners from part 1 on Paramount Plus. But I did like the duets at the end on the CBS version. They should have ended with them rather than going into the freestyle. Someone on the live feed for The NY Times was comparing the second half to a PBS concert. Both hosts did themselves proud.

Videos