pixeltracker

What shows have you walked out on?- Page 3

What shows have you walked out on?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#50What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/24/18 at 2:54pm

robskynyc said: "There’s a fine line between being an a**hole and being sarcastic. Maybe you should reevaluate how you jump into conversations?"

If joking that a slow song is called a ballad gets you immediately called a troll, then that is a line I doubt I will be able to find.

#51What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/24/18 at 3:04pm

Hi everybody, let's get this thread back on topic. No need to add personal squabbles and name-calling into the discussion. Thanks for keeping things focused!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#52What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/24/18 at 3:10pm

The only show I walked out on was All Shook Up; there were a few I wanted to walk out on but didnt due to circumstances:  Curtains, Rock of Ages and Story of My Life come to mind.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

VintageSnarker
#54What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/24/18 at 3:16pm

I feel like we had this thread before. The only thing I can remember walking out of is this reading of Edgar Allen Poe in a church. It was a horrible setup and the "acting" was atrocious and I was too tired to make it to the end. At some point you say life is too short. And that was a free ticket.

But I've sat through some PAINFUl off-Broadway stuff including a completely nonsense Alice in Wonderland musical that I think ran for like four hours. I try to not do that kind of thing to myself anymore.

I loved War Paint. Aside from genuinely enjoying the music and performances, the number of times Patti LuPone made eye contact with me was worth the price of the ticket alone.

I will admit to getting moody sometimes even if I do stay. I'm generally positive or neutral but sometimes, especially if I find the play offensive, my face will spend Act 2 saying "I hate what you're doing right now."

Don't s*** on haterobics. Everyone who says something you don't like isn't automatically a troll. I hate that mentality. Other people don't exist just to validate your opinions.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#55What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/24/18 at 3:22pm

The guy who walked out of MATILDA at intermission missed the most beautiful songs in the score, namely "My House", "Quiet" and especially "When I Grow Up". We too found Act I of the show pure torture, but we were with friends so we stayed. Suddenly Act II starts and this lovely lullaby called "When I Grow Up" with kids playing on swings repairs almost all the damage that came before. We never loved the show, but we sure liked the gems in Act II alot.

That's the catch with leaving at intermission-- the whole key to the show's raison d'être could be waiting for you just after the interval. 

Did I ever leave a show at intermission? Yeah, some dreary play called DEMOCRACY. If anyone stayed for Act II, please let me know if Richard Thomas' actorly spitting had any point.

Updated On: 5/24/18 at 03:22 PM

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#56What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/24/18 at 3:27pm

Never walked out on a show, plenty I probably should have left during but the only one I absolutely would have walked out on was The Anarchist but I was sitting in the middle of the row and there was no intermission. If I was on an aisle I definitely would have left at some point. Still the worst show I've ever seen.

robskynyc
#57What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/24/18 at 3:28pm

VintageSnarker said: "IDon't s*** on haterobics. Everyone who says something you don't like isn't automatically a troll. I hate that mentality. Other people don't exist just to validate your opinions."

LOL im not asking for validation from anyone. i just wanted to start a discussion on this cause i find it interesting why some people leave a show and for what reasons. haterobics IS a troll. all you have to do is look at their replies to 2 out of every 3 posts they reply to. I've disagreed with plenty of people on these boards but i dont go out of my way to suck the fun out of a conversation. if you dont have anything fun/interesting to add, then theres no need to sh!t on everyones parade. 

robskynyc
#58What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/24/18 at 3:29pm

VintageSnarker said: "we had this thread before"

i searched and found a similar one but it was more aimed at "do you think its rude/right to leave in the middle of a show" i was more interested in what shows people left and why. 

greensgreens Profile Photo
greensgreens
#59What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/24/18 at 3:44pm

I used to be one of those people that would stay regardless of how bad a show was, always clinging to hope that I will find a bright spot to keep me engaged.

That all changed when I fell asleep during Memphis because I was trying to stick it out. I still don't understand how I could sleep through the last half of act one all the way up to the finale when the cast stormed toward the edge of the stage. I'm not a quiet sleeper, but I guess no one was bothered enough to nudge me.

From that moment on, I made a vow to leave when I just can't stand it anymore. Since then, I haven't ever needed to walk out from a Broadway show, but the Guthrie in Minneapolis has done tons of garbage that I have left early from. Tony Kushner's Intelligent Guide... (the world debut) was so horrible, I couldn't even make it to an appropriate break in the performance to exit. I was so excited, but then showed up to see masters of their craft flinging unintelligble text by Tony all over the place with little movement, direction, or context to help the audience figure out what was going on. I don't think anyone, including Mr. Kushner knew what was going on (and he basically admitted that during his pre-show address to the audience). I should have known it was going to be a bad evening when he invited "anybody left at the end of the night" to go out for breakfast (Tony's treat, of course) to discuss the play. A pre-apology is never a good sign.

moira8
#60What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/24/18 at 3:46pm

Only show I've walked out on was Company XIV's Snow White. My friend and I both fell asleep during Act 1, so we bolted at intermission.

I've never walked out on a Broadway show, but had there been intermissions (or if I were on an aisle seat), I would have left Hughie and The Encounter. I slept instead.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#61What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/24/18 at 3:49pm

just three that I recall:

Shogun

The Civil War

the last revival of The Real Thing

(I have a fairly high pain tolerance but there are limits)

ilysespieces
#62What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/24/18 at 4:47pm

I have only walked out of one show, and the tickets were comped so I didn't spend any money on it (if I had I may have stayed). It was Accent on Youth and we walked out after the first act (of 3). It was just terrible, we couldn't follow the plot and were so lost, it wasn't worth trying to stay and figure out what was supposed to be happening.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#63What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/24/18 at 5:10pm

broadwayboy223 said: "I'll never get the War Paint hate. I saw it in Chicago and NYC and while it wasnt a perfect musical there were plenty of great moments and BEAUTIFUL songs. Also Christine Ebersole screechy? She has a beautiful crystal clear soprano."

Well, as Angela Lansbury once said: It pains me more than I can say, the lack of taste that they display.

Complaining that LuPone (at least in this show) and Ebersole have shrieky voices is one of the strangest things I've read on this forum. And I feel sorry for anyone that left War Paint at intermission because they missed the best songs in the show LOL. 

Let us hope this lunacy is just a trend.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#64What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/24/18 at 5:24pm

Too many to remember, AND am a pensioner--definitely NOT a trust fund baby.

Try to hang on till interval though, just to be polite, but always have an end seat, in case.

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#65What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/24/18 at 5:41pm

Hey OP, go find another board.  Hate is one of the best posters and you've been here a month.

Stephanatic

LexiGirl Profile Photo
LexiGirl
#66What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/24/18 at 5:58pm

I haven’t had the opportunity to see as many shows as others on here have seen, but I’ve never walked out. I usually enjoy all of them to varying degrees. I will say that I did think of walking out at intermission when I saw Cats, but I stuck it out.

akmiller_98
#67What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/24/18 at 6:41pm

I was given comp tickets to Present Laughter. I left at intermission. I just couldn't sit through another hour of it. It was so dated and boring. People were laughing but I guess I didn't get a single joke.

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#68What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/24/18 at 7:14pm

To the OP. I havent been on these boards for a while, but ive been on here long enough to know that hate is a well respected board member. If you dont agree with what people have to say regarding your view on shows or etc. dont post new threads, and dont call memvers trolls when they disgaree with you.

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

bowtie7
#69What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/24/18 at 7:30pm

I remember one very unmemorable regional theatre production. It sounded interesting if maybe a little pretentious and I was from out of town and didn't really know which reviews to trust, so I went. And then it started--I actively hate the show as it went on and on and wanted to escape more and more but I hate the idea of being to rude to the cast, leaving while the show was going on (it didn't help that I was in the front row). The I got really, really lucky--there was an entire scene staged with entire cast seated facing upstage--I bolted not stopping until I was safely on the train out of Berkley.

On a more fun note--I was at a touring production of the Bread and Puppet Theatre--and I guess some parents just looked at the name and skipped the description of how they do serious, socially conscious plays--so there were some children in attendance. The performance was very interesting but did require a certain amount of concentration from the audience. So there was a pause so the audience could consider the importance of what was happening--interrupted by a loud child voice "Mommie, is it over yet?"

ItsMeRaul Profile Photo
ItsMeRaul
#70What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/24/18 at 7:58pm

Just one. Carousel in Chicago several years back. I've never heard of one person walking out of as many shows as the OP has.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#71What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/24/18 at 8:20pm

I left Junk, Present Laughter, On the Town, and All the Way at intermission, to name a few I can remember. Did Machinal have an intermission? If it did then I left.

I left Outside Mullingar and The Realistic Jonses halfway through, despite neither having an intermission.

I’ve seen hundreds of Broadway shows. If I’m absolutely miserable I’m not wasting more of my time. I just leave.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#72What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/24/18 at 8:21pm

You were absolutely miserable at the recent revival of ON THE TOWN? It boggles my mind, but okay...

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#73What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/24/18 at 8:29pm

Someone in a Tree2 said: "You were absolutely miserable at the recent revival of ON THE TOWN? It boggles my mind, but okay..."

Bored to tears!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#74What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/24/18 at 8:29pm

Most recently...

The Iceman Cometh - I was in the rear mezzanine and could not hear or understand about 80% of the dialogue.

The Price - SO. BORING.

Long Day's Journey Into Night - I had a GREAT seat house right, but due to the HORRIBLE direction, I was stuck looking at the back of Jessica Lange's head.

Sylvia - Just painfully bad despite Annaleigh Ashford's wonderful performance.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Impossible2
#75What shows have you walked out on?
Posted: 5/24/18 at 8:31pm

bwayphreak234 said: "Most recently...

The Iceman Cometh - I was in the rear mezzanine and could not hear or understand about 80% of the dialogue.

The Price - SO. BORING.

Long Day's Journey Into Night - I had a GREAT seat house right, but due to the HORRIBLE direction, I was stuck looking at the back of Jessica Lange's head.

I loved all 3 of those...

Videos