pixeltracker

Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's- Page 3

Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's

cknick
#50Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's
Posted: 5/1/16 at 10:13am

Whizzer, I am with you 100%. I truly am!  I wouldn't say this production itself illuminates my appreciate of Williams (nor do I prefer these productions by any means) but the individual performances certainly do. I don't think Williams or Miller or any great, great play needs a stark, highly conceptualized production do illuminate the text. As you say, it is plenty brilliant on its own! 

Updated On: 5/1/16 at 10:13 AM

mailhandler777
#51Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's
Posted: 5/1/16 at 11:48am

I saw this yesterday afternoon. I'm possibly the only person that has never read the book, seen the movie or any production of this before so I went in completely cold. I was blown away.

At first the rotating stage was making me nauseous (I have SEVERE motion sickness) but after about 30 minutes I was fine. My only complaint was the chairs are very uncomfortable for a show that's 3.5hrs long(including intermission). I was up in a corner in the last row so I could see everyone fidgeting in their seat trying to get a bit comfortable. 

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

ChiTheaterFan
EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#53Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's
Posted: 5/2/16 at 1:10am

I didn't see it, I shouldn't say anything, but, I've read a lot about how Blanche makes her first entrance looking spiffy and ready for a TV show or something. Doesn't that erase her entire before life before we encounter her? Guess I better buy a ticket and see.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#54Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's
Posted: 5/2/16 at 3:03pm

EthelMae said: "Blanche makes her first entrance looking spiffy and ready for a TV show or something. Doesn't that erase her entire before life before we encounter her?"

Blanche is supposed to be incredibly preoccupied with her appearance, and also supposed to have a lot of unusually nice clothes, as Stanley so forcefully points out when he goes through her suitcase. 

LarryD2
#55Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's
Posted: 5/2/16 at 3:12pm

This is Williams' first description of Blanche: She is daintily dressed in a white suit with a fluffy bodice, necklace and earrings of pearls, white gloves and hat, looking as if she were arriving at a summer tea or cocktail party in the Garden District. 

It is clear that she is meant to look refined and elegant upon her first entrance -- it's the mask she's built.

nasty_khakis
#56Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's
Posted: 5/2/16 at 3:25pm

Whizzer, thanks for making me feel not so crazy for not fawning all over this like all my friends seem to be, especially Foster's bulldog performance. 

It's very much modern day (post 2010, anyway) based on the costumes, fake Louis bag (not even LVs on it), toothbrushes, beer cans, etc. It kept pulling me out and making me question why. I also thought the set was too pristine and open to give you a "just these two rooms?" sweltering feeling Whizzer mentioned. The ending also made me question what would be done with a mentally ill relative in 2016 as well as Stella's acceptance of Stanley's story.

I've liked the production less and less the more I've thought about it, especially from Mitch's rejection of her until she's taken away. The last revival's moment of Mitch holding Blanche's face directly up to the dangling bulb really resonated with me and, to me, felt like that violated Blanche's psyche more than her actual rape later on. This production treats it so casually that I had a hard time deciding what set Blanche into her final spiral. 

LittleCheno
#57Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's
Posted: 5/3/16 at 1:34am

mailhandler777 said: "I saw this yesterday afternoon. I'm possibly the only person that has never read the book, seen the movie or any production of this before so I went in completely cold. I was blown away.

At first the rotating stage was making me nauseous (I have SEVERE motion sickness) but after about 30 minutes I was fine. My only complaint was the chairs are very uncomfortable for a show that's 3.5hrs long(including intermission). I was up in a corner in the last row so I could see everyone fidgeting in their seat trying to get a bit comfortable. 

"Mailhandler777.....I'm right there with you! I've never seen or read the material before and was also incredibly impressed with this production...

Sondheimtime Profile Photo
Sondheimtime
#58Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's
Posted: 5/5/16 at 10:24am

If/when they sign after the show, do they bring out their own pen or should I bring one?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#59Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's
Posted: 5/5/16 at 10:29am

Sondheimtime said: "If/when they sign after the show, do they bring out their own pen or should I bring one?"

I don't know, but it's never a bad a idea to bring your own sharpie. Get a silver one. 

mpkie
#60Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's
Posted: 5/6/16 at 1:54pm

Sondheimtime said: "If/when they sign after the show, do they bring out their own pen or should I bring one?"

Pretty sure they set Gillian up with one. I saw it on Wednesday and staff informed me that pretty much only Gillian ever signs, if she signs. She didn't that night because of the talkback, which was cool of them to do, but the actors looked so spent, not surprisingly... Seemed like they enjoyed answering the fun questions from the audience (rather than the uber serious ones from the moderator), and I loved Vanessa's animated recounting of a rotating stage snafu she experienced during the London run.

As a favor to my friend who wants to get Gillian's autograph for his sister (the one who lives abroad), I went back on Thursday to see if she'd be signing, but staff informed us she wouldn't be that night. I know it's hit-or-miss, but we may go back sometime for a last-ditch effort, since it would be a huge surprise for the recipient if we can get the program autographed.

Sondheimtime Profile Photo
Sondheimtime
#61Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's
Posted: 5/6/16 at 2:10pm

Thank you for that detailed information! I would have enjoyed the talk back! 

With that said, 

I caught this production last night -- It was captivating from start to finish. Gillian Anderson was sublime along with the rest of the company. Everyone stood out including the ensemble players. All of whom added to every element. It took me several minutes to warm up to Vanessa Kirby but I came to connect her energy/demeanor to that of Stella. Kirby is a fine actress. Ben Foster, I felt, made Stanley his own (as Brando is engraved in the mind). Ignorant, brutal, and disturbing. That's saying the least.

In regards to Anderson, I don't know how she stands up after the show. Such a charismatic woman. That's all I'm going to say.

A pure treat that we have this opportunity to see this production since it originated in the UK.

If you can see the show, RUN to St. Anne's.

Special venue, sharp company, thrilling evening of pure theater.

cknick
#62Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's
Posted: 5/14/16 at 3:36pm

Are they using real cigarettes?  It certainly smells like it. Anyone know how or why they are?  

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#63Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's
Posted: 5/14/16 at 3:38pm

Anyone finding the accent a little troubling? It's my first exposure to the show, and I'm pretty sure I miss some important details.

Broadwaywest Profile Photo
Broadwaywest
#64Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's
Posted: 5/14/16 at 5:41pm

I saw the production on Tuesday...and holy this was brilliant. This was my first time seeing a an actual production of this play. It was one of those nights of theater when you realize why this is considered one of the great plays of all time. I had the same reaction with Brian Dennehey Death of Salesman back in the 90's. Everything about this production was perfection. Gillian Anderson's performance is like nothing I have ever scene, how she goes through that eight shows a week, Ill never know. Ben Foster's performance totally broke free of the Marlon Brando mold that had been set. He found shades and sadness in Stanley, that I never even thought about. Vanessa Kirby also made an excellent Stella. In fact one of the highlights and success of this production is the relationship between Stella and Blanche. I could actually see them as two sisters with love, respect, jealousy, and hatred that goes into that relationship.  Also mad respect to the crew who had to scrub down that set twice. 

Word of advice if sitting in the front row, during the birthday scene, beware of pieces of plates being smashed.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#65Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's
Posted: 5/14/16 at 11:02pm

Just splurged for a ticket to this for next week! I'm so excited. Anyone else get obsessed with The Fall?! She's brilliant in it. Can't wait to see her live. 

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#66Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's
Posted: 5/15/16 at 9:59pm

Caught the matinee yesterday.  Anderson is astounding.  I was exhausted for her by the end of the play.  I enjoyed it even with the modern day IKEA distractions.  Just wish it was 30-40 minutes shorter.  It was very nice to visit the Brooklyn waterfront and relax a bit before the show.  

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#67Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's
Posted: 5/19/16 at 1:12am

I'm with Whizzer on this one. Found this production to be a laughable, bloated mess. Bizarre accents, confusing costumes, murky direction, a stage that never stops spinning and some of the WORST supporting performances I've ever seen. Plays like Streetcar and The Crucible are so brilliant, why are directors trying to "help" the plays along? Let the wonderful text do the work! The man playing Mitch gave the best performance. Never thought I'd walk away from a production of Streercar saying that. I can't wait to watch the film on Blu-Ray to wash away the taste of tonight.

BroadwayLuv2 Profile Photo
BroadwayLuv2
#68Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's
Posted: 5/19/16 at 9:23am

Has anyone tried the cancellation line?  Any tips on what time you should arrive?  

I saw this play last night and was mesmerized for the full 3.5 hours.  LOVED IT!  Want to see it again so hoping to try cancellation line this time.  

vickster51
#69Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's
Posted: 5/19/16 at 12:19pm

I was there a few weeks ago (I couldn't go to NYC and not revisit this show as I loved it in London). Luckily for me, Gillian did sign that night, so assuming its the same process each time, the staff start a line at the edge of the bar (the end furthest in to the lobby) and everyone then lines up, along the bar and then around the wall of the lobby. Gillian came out and in to the box office, so then we each were able to go up to the window one at a time (if with whoever you are with) and give her your item to sign (only production-related material and only 1 item per person). They also said no photography. She has her own pen(s) and was very lovely.

I wish the others had come out too as I would have liked to have their autographs too, but I suppose the focus is on Gillian.

My review blog: https://vickster51corner.wordpress.com

Addison D. Profile Photo
Addison D.
#70Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's
Posted: 5/20/16 at 11:16am

I saw the production last night.  I did not find the "modern" set particularly "modern" or disturbing/distracting in any way.  The only item that caught my attention as anachronistic was the shiny, white, wireless telephone.  Honestly, though, I noticed it only fleetingly as I was too busy being riveted by the performances.

I'm utterly perplexed by the notion that Anderson isn't bringing anything "new" to her interpretation--as though such an intense, fully-inhabited, emotionally honest and, ultimately, devastating performance is some kind of ho-hum, every day experience that requires some new "spin" or insight to make meaningful.  It's all there in the text, of course, and I've been reasonably moved by less fully-realized performances, but I thought Anderson was magnificent.  

Unusually in my experience, I felt that all three principals--four, if you count Mitch, as I think we should in this case--are in the same production, giving well-matched performances.  Stanley is not the brutal caricature that so often comes from actors doing their best Brando impression and Stella is a (heartrendingly) real person. 

I can't explain why the direction of the stage rotation changes--presumably it signals the moment at which the director feels the universe of the show "shifts gears"--but I loved the effect of the moving stage.  I felt that I was being given powerful, physical (and emotional) access to the events taking place on stage--almost like the experience of stumbling upon Macbeth in the bathtub in "Sleep no More".  

I am in awe of Ms. Anderson's ability to take this journey multiple nights/week for weeks on end--I can't imagine what it does to her psyche.  

You think, what do you want? You think, make a decision...

vickster51
#71Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's
Posted: 5/20/16 at 11:23am

I saw this in London and loved it and went to see it last month in NYC. It was still just as impressive and I thought Ben Foster had grown stronger in the role. Vanessa Kirby is another favourite actress of mine and I still think she's very good here.

Gillian is still fantastic for me, giving such a strong, powerful and what must be hugely draining performance. I think she has grown in confidence too which is lovely to see.

I always liked the set and didn't really ever think about how modern its meant to be. It's quite sparse and a bit sterile, which I think means you focus more on the characters and don't get distracted. As for the revolve, from memory of interviews during the London run, it's meant to be linked to Stella's spiral. The set doesn't actually start to turn at all until she takes that first drink, which I suppose is the signpost.

I'm really pleased this was able to get  a second life and enable more people to see it.

My review blog: https://vickster51corner.wordpress.com

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#72Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's
Posted: 5/20/16 at 12:39pm

I saw this last Sunday and thought it was possibly the best production of this play that I've ever seen and I've seen many. If you're on the fence about this one, just go. It's thrilling and it flies by.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#73Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's
Posted: 5/20/16 at 3:30pm

I saw this play last Sunday and found it to be both enjoyable and effective. I felt like I was sleepwalking a bit when I left - catching my breath if you will. Yes I think it's a bit too long and it's not without imperfections, but Gillian Anderson's performance was breathtaking. I haven't seen too many productions of Streetcar but it's one of my favorite plays and I found her Blanche to be intense, heart-wrenching and truly perfect. She looked basically exhausted at the end and I can understand why. 

I was a big fan of the rotating set because it made every seat a good one and illustrated the lack of control in the characters' lives. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

jbird5
#74Streetcar Named Desire at St. Ann's
Posted: 5/20/16 at 4:12pm

There are 2 seats available for tonight's performance. If you want to see it grab them.

Videos