AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#50AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/26/16 at 8:07pm

Preview performances are never counted when traditionally talking about runs of shows. Glory Days ran one performance. Not 18. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#51AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/26/16 at 8:10pm

Add me to the chorus of those saddened by this announcement.  This was my second favorite show of the year.  Ben Walker was sexy/scary/complex, the ensemble was great, and the music was very different for Broadway.  Glad I got to see it.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#52AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/26/16 at 8:12pm

Will they even perform on the Tonys now? Don't the struggling shows generally hang on and close after the awards and not the week before?

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#53AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/26/16 at 8:13pm

Duude AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#54AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/26/16 at 8:14pm

Hopefully a cast recording is made. I really enjoyed the show, despite serious reservations and the cast is incredible. Compared to "Tuck Everlasting" and "Disaster", it really deserved a long run. Much love to the cast and crew.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#55AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/26/16 at 8:15pm

WhizzerMarvin said: "Preview performances are never counted when traditionally talking about runs of shows. Glory Days ran one performance. Not 18. "

The typical formulation is "x ran for y previews and z performances." I have never seen one stated without the other the way you expressed Glory Days nd it is highly misleading. But in any event, the article you are criticizing expressly said  "a total of."

After Eight
#56AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/26/16 at 8:16pm

" Should this show have opened in the fall, rather than late in the season, when many New Yorkers are all starting to escape for the weekends? "

I don't know if ultimately it would have fared any better if had opened earlier in the season, but it would have had a greater chance to garner some attention for itself. I think it's a big mistake for so many shows to open in a cluster at season's end, because they're all competing both for attention and patronage. Well, there are only so many new plays an audience can see --- or wants to see --- in such a short span of time, and just so many dollars they have to spend. The lesser lights invariably struggle to find an audience, and if the critics don't embrace them, the outlook is grim.

Updated On: 5/26/16 at 08:16 PM

Broadway Forever2
#57AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/26/16 at 8:18pm

Mmm I'm not completely surprised. I mean the reviews weren't great and when they preformed at Colbert I remember there was a lot of negative reactions and people being like "what the hell is this?" People here keep saying good things about it though. The box office scores were decent though so I'm a little surprised it's this early. I thought they would at least wait until the Tony's. Sad for the cast, crew and everyone involved. 

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#58AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/26/16 at 8:18pm

The fact some of the critics didn't embrace this boggles my mind.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#59AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/26/16 at 8:21pm

My poor sister.  We planned a trip to NY from June 21-27 because she doesn't end school until June 17.  We were planning on seeing "Disaster" (she's a big Adam Pascal fan/Renthead), and had tickets to the Sunday evening showing of "American Psycho" (we're big Duncan Sheik fans ever since "Barely Breathing"AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING, and now both shows have closed before we get there.   She also loves Raul Esparza and we got tickets a few seasons back to see "Leap of Faith", but that closed a month and a half before we could get into New York City. My sister sure knows how to pick em...

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#60AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/26/16 at 8:23pm

You could say that about many shows. The fact that people still listen to them is amazing. You are giving up your decision making to total strangers. Never understood this and still don't.

Poster Emeritus

Fosse76
#61AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/26/16 at 8:31pm

@z5 said: "songanddanceman2 said: "They know "

How do you know the cast knows?
"

There was a company meeting before the performance, at which the producer informed the cast and crew that they were closing the show.

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#62AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/26/16 at 8:37pm

There's a broken heart for every light on Broadway. This show was truly imaginative. I applaud the risks they took. 

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#63AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/26/16 at 9:04pm

Let's all please get out from under the bridge please.

I had thought the OBC album was an official deal, I guess based on other comments it's still up in the air?

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#64AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/26/16 at 9:07pm

I was thinking about seeing this again. Not my favorite but really like the music and it is visually stunning. That was enough to want to see it again. But  unfortunately I won't get to see it.

Just give the world Love.

jbird5
#65AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/26/16 at 9:17pm

What do you mean, Evan Hansen got the Fisher Account?

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#66AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/26/16 at 9:24pm

This totally sucks. Show was amazing. 

I thought most shows have to play over 60 performances in order for the producers to fully vest (share in futures subsidiary rights income at 40%). Maybe they are including the London performances in that formula and are closing and hoping to make back their investment in regional productions? 

Who knows, but it's really a shame this didn't catch on. A truly innovative production.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#67AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/26/16 at 9:40pm

jbird5 said: "What do you mean, Evan Hansen got the Fisher Account?

Thank you for making me laugh.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Alessio2
#68AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/26/16 at 9:50pm

So surprised by this news! I loved AP when I was in NYC in April. One of my top shows out of 8 that I saw! I hope they film this and release it on DVD! It was such a fantastic multimedia experience! Sad for the cast and crew...

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#69AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/26/16 at 9:56pm

Sad week. Psycho and Tuck were my 2 favorite new musicals this season (besides you-know-what). Very sad to see them go. 

I didn't love American Psycho, but I found it utterly fascinating and bold. The show was tonally a bizarre mix of sharp comedy and trippy drama that was unlike anything I've ever seen. Perhaps the most indescribable show I've ever seen.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#70AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/26/16 at 9:57pm

"Millennials don't appreciate the 80's, would rather spend $5000 for hip hop American history"

I KNOW you're trolling if you think the College debt-ridden millennial are the ones paying $5000 on Hamilton. 

jbird5 said: "What do you mean, Evan Hansen got the Fisher Account?"

Hilarious. Thank you. 

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#71AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/26/16 at 9:57pm

Just goes to show:  Middle aged women from New Jersey just didn't want to see a edgy musical about some snake of a guy killing people (or not).  They aren't going to get laid after that night at the theatre.

Mike66
#72AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/26/16 at 9:58pm

Is it a problem of quality? Poor advertising/word of mouth? Are there just not enough theatregoers to go around? Surely that can't be the case if the most successful shows (Wicked, The Lion King, Book of Mormon, Hamilton, etc.) can all do well simultaneously.

"

I think the problem is much (but not entirely) related to the fact that Broadway (especially in the summer) relies on out of towners coming in and seeing a show or two.  These occasional visitors want to see (a) something they've heard about; (b) something that's familiar in style or topic; (c) something their friends back home will have heard about.

Psycho is none of those things. 

No disrespect to Phantom/Wicked/Mormon et al -- but these shows continue to pull eyeballs from this very important group of folks.  If you are coming to NY from Ohio, Iowa or Kentucky, you don't want to take chances with your $100 bill. 

We come in a lot -- and everytime we come back, my friends ask "what did you see"  -- when I said "Hamilton" they were impressed.  When I said "Eclipsed" they just stared at me. 

amandaelevator Profile Photo
amandaelevator
#73AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/26/16 at 10:05pm

Wow, incredibly sad it see such an awesome show go so soon. Wish it had gotten a bit more awards love, feel that might have kept it around a bit longer even if sales were on the low side. 

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#74AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING
Posted: 5/26/16 at 10:06pm

I am so upset that the show is closing so soon AMERICAN PSYCHO CLOSING just got tickets to see it a 4th time of next week! that being said if Dear Evan Hansen takes the Schoenfeld, i'd be happy!

AP deserved so much more Tony love....

Videos