News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour - Page 3

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#50The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/2/22 at 1:53pm

Ke3 said: "CarlosAlberto said: "Ke3 said: "Quinta is 32. Diana's performance in The Wiz has become iconic in the Black community, but that doesn't mean it was the right casting decision then nor would an "older" actress be right now.

To Tag's point, Deborah Cox could be a funEvilene or Glinda. Whitney Houston would've been lovely as either but alas. Grace Jones did a strange two week run in some West Coast production in the 90s. If they could get her again I'd go even if they staged it with shadow puppets.
"

Okay, let's get one thing straight: "Dorothy" in the stage version of "The Wiz" is a YOUNG GIRL as she was in Baum's original story not some insecure 24 year old kindergarten teacher.
"

I'm aware. That's why I said it wasn't the right casting decision then or now.
"

I kinda sorta disagree with you guys. For the stage production, yes. You want an actress somewhere in her 20's who can play younger (I imagine the Dorothy of The Wiz to be about 14/15).

But I think the idea the film played with, of an older Dorothy who needs not to stay at home with her relatives but to get out into the world, is appealing. Kinda makes hash of "Home," I guess, but Lena Horne's Glinda redefines what home is. I wouldn't want a stage production to emulate it, but I think it was an interesting concept for the movie. 

FWIW, this is the first time ever I've heard anyone of any race say Ross's performance is iconic for the Black community. 

KevinKlawitter
#51The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/2/22 at 2:58pm

I'm not saying this means anything, but Myles Frost just promoted the revival on his Instagram stories...

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#52The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/2/22 at 3:28pm

jimmycurry01 said: "Alexander Lamar said: "Isn’t the purpose of dream casting to throw out names that will likely never be in a show but would be your ideal cast….in your dreams?"

Sure, but maybe keep the dreams realistic and within the parameters of what the production apparently is. Why not dream cast with people who actually do touring productions and might get a starring turn on Broadway when the tour ends there?

I guess I never understood the whole dream casting thing to begin with, especially when it gets so hilariously outlandish. Billy Porter? Lizzo? Come on, it's a tour with a stop on Broadway.
"

you seem fun

Ke3
#53The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/2/22 at 3:57pm

joevitus said: "Ke3 said: "CarlosAlberto said: "Ke3 said: "Quinta is 32. Diana's performance in The Wiz has become iconic in the Black community, but that doesn't mean it was the right casting decision then nor would an "older" actress be right now.

To Tag's point, Deborah Cox could be a funEvilene or Glinda. Whitney Houston would've been lovely as either but alas. Grace Jones did a strange two week run in some West Coast production in the 90s. If they could get her again I'd go even if they staged it with shadow puppets.
"

Okay, let's get one thing straight: "Dorothy" in the stage version of "The Wiz" is a YOUNG GIRL as she was in Baum's original story not some insecure 24 year old kindergarten teacher.
"

"

I kinda sorta disagree with you guys. For the stage production, yes. You want an actress somewhere in her 20's who can play younger (I imagine the Dorothy of The Wiz to be about 14/15).

But I think the idea the film played with, of an older Dorothy who needs not to stay at home with her relatives but to get out into the world, is appealing. Kinda makes hash of "Home," I guess, but Lena Horne's Glinda redefines what home is. I wouldn't want a stage production to emulate it, but I think it was an interesting concept for the movie.

FWIW, this is the first time ever I've heard anyone of any race say Ross's performance is iconic for the Black community.
"

Well, the entire film is pretty iconic in Black households, and by extension, the performances. I saw The Wiz long before I first saw The Wizard of Oz.

saxpower
#54The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/2/22 at 4:18pm

brdwybound04 said: "Maybe this will reopen The Palace?"

Or depending how long post-Phantom renovations take at the Majestic, the production could reopen the theatre where it played originally. 

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#55The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/2/22 at 4:25pm

Ke3 said: "joevitus said: "Ke3 said: "CarlosAlberto said: "Ke3 said: "Quinta is 32. Diana's performance in The Wiz has become iconic in the Black community, but that doesn't mean it was the right casting decision then nor would an "older" actress be right now.

"

"

"

"

Well, the entire film is pretty iconic in Black households, and by extension, the performances. I saw The Wiz long before I first saw The Wizard of Oz."

I can't argue with you, obviously, but I know a lot of Black people, and most of them, to my knowledge, have never even seen The Wiz. Literally only one Black friend has ever mentioned it. And I often hang out at a piano bar where guys will frequently sing "Home" or "Be a Lion." And that friend was someone way back in high school who thought very little of the movie because she and her family had seen the show onstage. 

So this is news to me. I have zero problem with it. I saw the movie when it was released, owned it on VHS and own it now on DVD. I'm just surprised.

Updated On: 12/2/22 at 04:25 PM

jlindsey865 Profile Photo
jlindsey865
#56The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/3/22 at 9:09am

I wonder if Jennifer Hudson would do this.  I know she has her talk show now (which I assume films in LA), so it might be difficult.

Would love to see her as either Evillene or Glinda.

Also, I've been following the production of The Wizard of Oz at the Curve (which I'm kind of obsessed with).  I could see Georgina Onuorah who plays Dorothy in that production being a good fit.

Also, is a national tour ending in a Broadway run typical?  I always thought it was the other way around lol

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#57The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/3/22 at 9:12am

I would love to see Deborah Cox involved as one of the witches. She has been known to tour before with both JEKYLL & HYDE and THE BODYGUARD.

It is interesting that this is touring first then coming to Broadway for a limited run. I just really hope the physical production isn't a cheap bus and truck looking design...

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#58The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/3/22 at 10:54am

The Dutch version of The Wiz looked excellent. I hope something like that  comes on over, but I do miss the City Center cast minus Ashanti 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#59The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/3/22 at 12:35pm

bwayphreak234 said: "I would love to see Deborah Cox involved as one of the witches. She has been known to tour before with both JEKYLL & HYDE and THE BODYGUARD."

I think Deborah Cox would make an excellent Glinda the Good.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#60The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/3/22 at 12:37pm

joevitus said: 
"I can't argue with you, obviously, but I know a lot of Black people, and most of them, to my knowledge, have never even seen The Wiz. Literally only one Black friend has ever mentioned it. And I often hang out at a piano bar where guys will frequently sing "Home" or "Be a Lion." And that friend was someone way back in high school who thought very little of the movie because she and her family had seen the show onstage.

So this is news to me. I have zero problem with it. I saw the movie when it was released, owned it on VHS and own it now on DVD. I'm just surprised.
"

Well, I am here to tell you that the Black people I know and grew up with know and love "The Wiz". It's their "Sound of Music". 

Updated On: 12/3/22 at 12:37 PM

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#61The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/3/22 at 4:11pm

CarlosAlberto said: "joevitus said:
"I can't argue with you, obviously, but I know a lot of Black people, and most of them, to my knowledge, have never even seen The Wiz. Literally only one Black friend has ever mentioned it. And I often hang out at a piano bar where guys will frequently sing "Home" or "Be a Lion." And that friend was someone way back in high school who thought very little of the movie because she and her family had seen the show onstage.

"

Well, I am here to tell you that the Black people I know and grew up with know and love "The Wiz". It's their "Sound of Music".
"

Ok. Not disagreeing with either of you. Just not my experience. As I said, I grew up with the movie. If it has more fans than I assumed, I'm certainly ok with that. 

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#62The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/3/22 at 4:13pm

jlindsey865 said: "I wonder if Jennifer Hudson would do this. I know she has her talk show now (which I assume films in LA), so it might be difficult.

Would love to see her as either Evillene or Glinda.

Also, I've been following the production of The Wizard of Oz at the Curve (which I'm kind of obsessed with). I could see Georgina Onuorah who plays Dorothy in that production being a good fit.

Also, is a national tour ending in a Broadway run typical? I always thought it was the other way around lol

"

I can see Hudson as a magnificent Evillene; I can't see her as Glinda. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#63The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/3/22 at 4:50pm

jlindsey865 said: "Also, is a national tour ending in a Broadway run typical? I always thought it was the other way around lol"

In the modern era, no. BRING IT ON and JEKYLL & HYDE are two that come to mind. 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#64The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/3/22 at 5:29pm

The Wiz is the show that got me into theatre, so it holds a special place on my heart regardless. But man, I saw a production a few years back and that book just doesn’t work. I hope Ruffin is able to tighten it up a bit.

My fear for the tour is that if it gets bad reviews, all word of mouth will be gone by the time it hits Broadway.

chrishuyen
#65The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 12/3/22 at 5:55pm

Six did a small tour before Broadway as well iirc

bholtzinger544
#66The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 1/31/23 at 9:34am

According to the Hippodrome's website, The Wiz will start performances in Baltimore September 26-30. In addition, Deadline has announced an award-winning design team, including Oscar-winning Black Panther production designer Hannah Beachler and Emmy-winning Watchmen costume designer Sharen Davis.

The design team, which also includes lighting design by Ryan J. O’Gara (Thoughts of a Colored Man) and wig design by Academy Award-winning Mia Neal (Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom), was announced today by producers Kristin Caskey, Mike Isaacson, Brian Anthony Moreland, and Ambassador Theatre Group.

SouthernCakes
#67The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 2/3/23 at 1:59am

Kandi (from Real Housewives of Atlanta and Xscape) posted on her IG about an open call in Atlanta for dancers and singers. Is she involved? Would love to see her perform but she’s probably just a producer? 

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#68The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 2/3/23 at 8:05am

Mykal Kilgore posted to his Instagram about a week ago, saying that he really wanted The Wiz as it’s his dream show, and unfortunately did not get cast. “#ontothenext” Must be some incredible talent involved if they passed on MK!

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Idinamenzel18
#69The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 5/10/23 at 4:07pm

Deborah Cox is involved in the current workshop as Glinda. Hoping she does the tour and Broadway! 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
Posted: 5/10/23 at 4:31pm

The touring schedule, which is mostly runs less than one week, coupled with a very low paying Equity touring contract gives me pause that this might not really be a Broadway calibre production.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
Posted: 5/10/23 at 4:44pm

To me, it seems an odd schedule to play a ton of major cities and all these major markets before Broadway. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
Posted: 5/10/23 at 4:51pm

Isn't the idea that a show can more or less recoup by touring first before hitting Broadway? It's a model we haven't seen in a while, but I know has been done successfully in the past.  It just seems odd to me that a major Broadway bound production would play less than one week in so many major cities. 

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
Posted: 5/10/23 at 4:57pm

I feel like this is the Jekyll and Hyde tour all over again

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
Posted: 5/10/23 at 5:11pm

Well that one DID make it to Broadway.

Videos