pixeltracker

Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello- Page 3

Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello

BoringBoredBoard40
#50Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 7:13pm

Trust me, there is a reason you don't want to just plug actors of color into this play

KMKJ
#51Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 8:00pm

quizking101 said: "JasonC3 said: "Metcalf being cast would test my lack of interest in the horror genre."

She has a Tony nomination from her work in MISERY, so I definitely would think horror is somehow in her wheelhouse
"

Metcalf is *chef’s kiss* in SCREAM2 (free on YouTube now, as well.)

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#52Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 8:07pm

Might have to secure a cheap ticket to this.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#53Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 9:19pm

KMKJ said: "quizking101 said: "JasonC3 said: "Metcalf being cast would test my lack of interest in the horror genre."

She has a Tony nomination from her work in MISERY, so I definitely would think horror is somehow in her wheelhouse
"

Metcalf is *chef’s kiss* in SCREAM2 (free on YouTube now, as well.)
"

Debbie Salt Forever.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#54Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 9:45pm

"Casting is not complete for this production though."

That's true, of course. The two lead roles that are cast were played by BIPOC performers and the roles that aren't cast are children and... not a person.

Like Ermagarde said, every show doesn't need to be diverse. BROADWAY needs to be diverse. This show does have a deaf performer playing a deaf character so that's swell!

Jesus saves. I spend.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#55Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/22/23 at 1:17am

Thanks for the nice words. Tho I suppose I should add a postscript.....

The real power still lies in the hands of the landlords, and there needs to be a continued sense of curation.

A lot of diverse work is being developed, but not all of it actually makes it to Broadway –– either because of the quality or landlord tastes or financial prospects or whatever. It's been nice to see the balance and risktaking over the past 2 seasons and I hope that continues. But just because Tom Kirdahy gets his mostly-white play produced this season doesn't mean that's an invite for Stone, Roth, McCollum, Richards, Seaview, etc to ALSO roll out their white plays. Balance.

brotherhoodofman Profile Photo
brotherhoodofman
#56Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/22/23 at 8:11am

Regarding diversity --

Millicent Simmonds is deaf. She played the teenage daughter in the Quiet Place movies. It will be interesting to see how they incorporate signing and deafness into the play.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#57Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/22/23 at 8:27am

I feel like you're screaming into the void. Broadway is hella diverse when compared to other industries. I think it's great, just look at the gamut of shows currently on Broadway and Off. What I'd like to see more represented is some thick-ums in the leading romantic male roles. I'm so over this crawny stereotype of romantic leads. I'm over the boring Klena types. Let's mix that up at least. 

Anyway, this show sounds super interesting and I'll watch Metcalf stand on stage and do nothing for 2 hours.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#58Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/22/23 at 8:31am

This is immediately at the top of my must-see list. Metcalf? Mantello? Horror play? Chicago playwright? Did I Secret this play into existence with my subconscious?

Honestly, as exciting as this all is, I am very curious to see who else will be joining the cast, particularly as the character described in that casting call as “The Ancient”, which is clearly a movement role of some kind. Very spooky-sounding.

hearthemsing22
#59Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/22/23 at 10:57am

I was just saying a few months ago that I wanted horror on Broadway, and I am so excited for this play!!

HoldYourBatBoy2
#60Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/22/23 at 7:21pm

Correct me if I’m wrong….but this will be the first show of the new season right? I don’t think it’s eligible for this season’s Tony Awards

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#61Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/22/23 at 7:33pm

HoldYourBatBoy2 said: "Correct me if I’m wrong….but this will be the first show of the new season right? I don’t think it’s eligible for this season’s Tony Awards"

It’s part of the 2023-24 season, and the NYT has confirmed that. 

Oh look, a bibu!

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#62Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/25/23 at 11:32am

Does anyone who saw this previously know if it’s two acts or one? Trying to plan a revisit to Titanique (5pm Saturday shows) for my trip in May, so I need something short enough at 2, that I have time to get down to E 14th by 5.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#63Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/25/23 at 11:43am

A quick search reveals the run time was 1:40 in Chicago.

StageJunkie2
#64Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/25/23 at 11:43am

gleek4114 said: "Does anyone who saw this previously know if it’s two acts or one? Trying to plan a revisit to Titanique (5pm Saturday shows) for my trip in May, so I need something short enough at 2, that I have time to get down to E 14th by 5."

Just read on the other board that, in Chicago, it was 90 intermission-less minutes.

sppunk
#65Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/25/23 at 6:43pm

I’m so torn. Was going to see Prima Facie for my final unfilled slot in Kate May but this seems absolutely intriguing and unique for Broadway. Decisions, decisions.  

perfectpenguin
#66Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 3/20/23 at 5:55pm

Rehearsals begin March 27th! 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#67Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 3/20/23 at 8:51pm

sppunk said: "I’m so torn. Was going to see Prima Facie for my final unfilled slot in Kate May but this seems absolutely intriguing and unique for Broadway. Decisions, decisions. "

Oh God, Prima Facie is mesmerizing.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#68Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 3/20/23 at 9:12pm

Go see Prima Facie and years from now you can brag that you actually saw Jodie Comer live, in the show. And you won’t be sorry. 

noahseestheatre Profile Photo
noahseestheatre
#69Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 3/21/23 at 8:35am

Jordan Catalano said: "Go see Prima Facie and years from now you can brag that you actually saw Jodie Comer live, in the show. And you won’t be sorry."

You can also watch it online with a National Theatre at Home subscription (and maybe a VPN). Thought I wish I would have seen it live or bought a ticket for it.

perfectpenguin
#70Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 3/27/23 at 4:30pm

Rehearsals begin today! Additional casting announced:

Laurie Metcalf as "Raleigh”

Tatiana Maslany as "Max”

Paul Sparks as "Henry”

Sophia Anne Caruso as "Marlow”

Millicent Simmonds as "Bernie”

Cyndi Coyne as "The Ancient”

Colby Kipnes as "Squirrel”

Alyssa Emily Marvin as "A1656”

Eamon Patrick O'Connell as "The Boy."

EAPEAPMO
#71Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 3/27/23 at 5:13pm

Do people think this show will be successful? It seems like horror is very underserved on Broadway, but it's also perhpas not as easy as producing a small-budget horror film and going big like we've seen quite a lot this year with movies. 

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#72Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 3/27/23 at 5:26pm

This is wonderful, but I do wonder why the horror genre (which I love - I watch more horror movies than anything else) so often has plot points that center around people with disabilities. Are disabled people scary?

brotherhoodofman said: "Regarding diversity --

Millicent Simmonds is deaf. She played the teenage daughter in the Quiet Place movies. It will be interesting to see how they incorporate signing and deafness into the play.
"

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#73Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 3/27/23 at 6:12pm

She’s a bad-ass hero in the Quiet Place movies. 

Updated On: 3/27/23 at 06:12 PM

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#74Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 3/27/23 at 6:22pm

"but I do wonder why the horror genre (which I love - I watch more horror movies than anything else) so often has plot points that center around people with disabilities. Are disabled people scary?"

Or. The playwright is the co-founder of a Deaf youth theater company, has written another play with a deaf youth lead, and has done a great deal of work around deaf-hearing integration in the theater.  

Jesus saves. I spend.

Videos