pixeltracker

The Saddest Ending Musicals Of Our Time- Page 3

The Saddest Ending Musicals Of Our Time

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#50re: The Saddest Ending Musicals Of Our Time
Posted: 5/6/04 at 10:49am

Amen to Man of La Mancha...except that for me - its not sad at all - its spiritually uplifting - which is why I love the show so much.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#51re: The Saddest Ending Musicals Of Our Time
Posted: 5/6/04 at 11:28am

The ending of "Light in the Piazza" jerked a few tears from hard-ass ol' me.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Jimmcf Profile Photo
Jimmcf
#52re: The Saddest Ending Musicals Of Our Time
Posted: 5/6/04 at 12:33pm

For me, "Falsettos" - first time I saw it, I cried all during the second act, and still cry listening to the cd of "What Would I Do?" And his recent "Elegies" - "Anytime I Am There" and "14 Dwight Avenue, Natick, Massachusetts" (esp. since I grew up the next town over!)

Also, "Secret Garden" - "How Could I Know" gets me.

My mother always used to say, "The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana." - Rose Nyland

J.J. Profile Photo
J.J.
#53re: The Saddest Ending Musicals Of Our Time
Posted: 5/6/04 at 12:38pm

I'm shocked that nobody mentioned Titanic. Sure, we all knew what happened, but it was one of the saddest moments on a stage in NY!

Also - the ending to Follies.

"Mutate or perish."

Janki Profile Photo
Janki
#54re: The Saddest Ending Musicals Of Our Time
Posted: 5/6/04 at 1:52pm

Miss Saigon! Hello....It cannot get much sadder that that one....she dies to save her child .......Sob-sob!

Popular...You're gonna be Popuular....;)

WestEndBird Profile Photo
WestEndBird
#55re: The Saddest Ending Musicals Of Our Time
Posted: 5/6/04 at 2:09pm

Jekyll and Hyde!!
Jesus Christ Superstar...(though many know the ending)

"Even if I could let you see me cry you would never understand what I was feeling inside, you see it and use it but dont believe in it..."

StateOfJade Profile Photo
StateOfJade
#56re: The Saddest Ending Musicals Of Our Time
Posted: 5/6/04 at 9:57pm

Wicked? *waggles eyebrows*

I'd say...
RENT
Les Mis (DEFINITLEY)
Cabaret (I Don't Care Much...Adam Pascal)

"I really liked the show--Wish I saw Boy's Night...Am I allowed as I am not a boy anymore:)"-duffyny1

wildparty20 Profile Photo
wildparty20
#57re: The Saddest Ending Musicals Of Our Time
Posted: 5/7/04 at 8:35am

I'm music directing Falsettos right now, and my pit cries all over their instruments every night. Wow, does this show jab the knife repeatedly!

From the evil she done Lord Set her free, Set her free, Set me free Don't let my sorrow Make evil of me

bwaymargie Profile Photo
bwaymargie
#58re: The Saddest Ending Musicals Of Our Time
Posted: 5/8/04 at 4:56pm

Elegies...except thats really a song cycle, and its about death in the first place. "Boom Boom" and "Anytime" Kill me everytime. And "When the earth stopped turning" aaaaaah. Sadness.

A New Brain almost ends sad...

I'd have to say Wicked is bittersweet...

(SPOILER)

I think at some point in the closing number, you can see where it dawns on Glinda that Elphie is okay...she just gets this serene look on her face and you feel better, but not 100% Updated On: 5/8/04 at 04:56 PM

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#59re: The Saddest Ending Musicals Of Our Time
Posted: 5/8/04 at 5:13pm

I agree- Godspell is definately sad. I don't think JCS is, though.
I cried during the Finale of RENT. It's supposed to be happy, but something about it mad me cry!
Man of La Mancha is really sad. I never expected it to be so sad!

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#60re: The Saddest Ending Musicals Of Our Time
Posted: 5/8/04 at 5:55pm

Anyone ever notice how sadly Best Little Whorehouse in Texas ends. "Good Old Girl," "Hard Candy Christmas," "Bus from Amarillo."

"I'm barely gettin' through tomorrow, but I won't let sorrow bring me way down."

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#61re: The Saddest Ending Musicals Of Our Time
Posted: 5/8/04 at 6:07pm

PARADE...there is nothing more depressing than the ending of PARADE.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

~*Triple Star On Broadway*~ Profile Photo
~*Triple Star On Broadway*~
#62re: The Saddest Ending Musicals Of Our Time
Posted: 5/8/04 at 6:11pm

I cant believe I forgot Secret Garden. I bawled my face off when I saw it done locally.

You've gotta have heart AND music

onlylisab Profile Photo
onlylisab
#63re: The Saddest Ending Musicals Of Our Time
Posted: 5/10/04 at 10:30pm

I was STUNNED to tears when I saw Cabaret. I was unfamiliar with the show when I saw it. So incredible...

"First up was Max who sang "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" [...] I haven't seen that big of a reaction to a stair descent since Audra left the attic in Ragtime." --Seth Rudetsky

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#64re: The Saddest Ending Musicals Of Our Time
Posted: 5/15/04 at 1:59pm

I whole-heartedly agree with all of the shows listed, especially Bat Boy and Parade. Bat Boy is terribly sad because (SPOILERS)Shelley loses her entire family and the man(bat) she loves, and is left to live in a town full of people who hate her and her deceased family. Parade is even sadder because Leo's beautiful Sh'ma makes you want him to live, and then...
I'm sorry, I can barely listen to that part of the cd because it makes me so depressed.
Updated On: 5/15/04 at 01:59 PM

iruvyou Profile Photo
iruvyou
#65re: The Saddest Ending Musicals Of Our Time
Posted: 5/15/04 at 2:10pm

Yes, you are sooooooo right i saw the new cabret- it creeped the hell out of me. Also Parade is sooooooooooo sad also Man of Lamancha, and Bat Boy is really sad

Bobby is my hobby and I'm givin' it up!
Updated On: 5/15/04 at 02:10 PM

DisneyMC Profile Photo
DisneyMC
#66re: The Saddest Ending Musicals Of Our Time
Posted: 5/15/04 at 5:49pm

re: The Saddest Ending Musicals Of Our Time

Oh my God...FLOYD COLLINS
TOXIC AUDIO

Rene...new guy in town

~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
#67The Saddest Ending Musicals of Our Time
Posted: 5/15/04 at 6:23pm

"Les Miserables".
"Floyd Collins".
"The Last 5 Years".

And although the last song is sorta, well, upbeat...
"Once on This Island".
SO depressing.
I was definitely a weepy mess for that one.

I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!
Updated On: 5/15/04 at 06:23 PM

~*Triple Star On Broadway*~ Profile Photo
~*Triple Star On Broadway*~
#68The Saddest Ending Musicals of Our Time
Posted: 5/16/04 at 1:19am

THE LAST 5 YEARS, this one tops the cake for me crying I think. I dont know what I would do if I saw it live.

You've gotta have heart AND music

magic8ball Profile Photo
magic8ball
#69The Saddest Ending Musicals of Our Time
Posted: 5/16/04 at 1:27am

Am I really the only one who found the ending of "Les Miserables" to be the most uplifting part of the entire show? Valjean is finally redeemed, and the entire cast is singing about working towards a brighter future... But, then again, that's just my perogative.

As for endings that are actually sad, I would have to say "Little Shop of Horrors" (Audrey's death), "Miss Saigon", "The Phantom of the Opera", "Parade", "Cabaret", and "Blood Brothers".

"Goodness is rewarded. Hope is guaranteed. Laughter builds strong bones. Right will intercede. Things you've said I often find I need, indeed. I see the world through your eyes. What's black and white is colorized. The knowledge you most dearly prized I'm eager to employ. You said that life has infinite joys."

Pinky Profile Photo
Pinky
#70The Saddest Ending Musicals of Our Time
Posted: 5/16/04 at 11:35am

Miss Saigon...Omigosh I couldn't stop crying. It was such a wonderful show with the saddest ending EVER!

The Last Five Years made me cry too....and Amour is kinda sad...HE'S STUCK IN THE WALL?!?!?

Penn State Forever!!!!

jezzebelle
#71The Saddest Ending Musicals of Our Time
Posted: 5/17/04 at 12:07am

1. West Side Story- the ending, although some people could see it as uplifting, kills me. To see how hate kills...

2. Evita- Oh goodness. Eva's death, enough said.

3. Wicked- Not overly sad, but very moving, I sobbed and sobbed and sobbed.

4. Ragtime- The ending was uplifting, but before that, with Sarah's funeral and Coalhouse singing Make Them Hear You, made me cry.

I cry at shows often, anyway, cuz I'll cry at the drop of a hat.

Videos