pixeltracker

What is your favorite cast recording?- Page 3

What is your favorite cast recording?

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#50re: What is your favorite cast recording?
Posted: 7/12/05 at 4:13pm

Ragtime
Caroline or Change
Gypsy 2003 Revival
Into the Woods

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#51re: What is your favorite cast recording?
Posted: 7/12/05 at 4:31pm

Gypsy with Merman -- I would actually like to take elements of the different recordings and combine them into a "super-Gypsy," but this show is amazing. The overture is one of the best ever written. The entire book of songs is unforgettable. Whether or not you are a Merman fan, she has put such a stamp on one of the best written female lead roles in a musical, that it's impossible to imagine hearing the songs any other way. The lyrics are just a glimpse of what's to come from Stephen Sondheim.

City of Angels -- great mixture of jazz and broadway. Once again, amazing lyrics and performances from the entire cast. The sound of the entire piece (even if you didn't see the show) captures the film noir feel.

Kiss of the Spiderwoman -- I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this cast recording SO MUCH that I was initially disappointed when I actually saw the show. Most of my disappointment was due to the fact that the score was able to evoke such vivid images of what should be taking place on stage that the actual show didn't SEEM to live up to my mental images. However, on 2nd viewing, I realized how amazing the show was. I feel it's one of Kander and Ebb's best scores.

West Side Story -- Leonard Bernstein at his best (also with incredible lyrics by Stephen Sondheim). The "Tonight Quintet" is an amazing composition by itself, but the entire score lives up to what is put out there with that one number. Song after song in this score is unforgettable.

I could go on, but ultimately I love BROADWAY. Virtually every recording that's listed in this thread is something that I have enjoyed, but I feel these 4 really stand out as special to me.

". . . POP . . ."

almostxfamous Profile Photo
almostxfamous
#52re: What is your favorite cast recording?
Posted: 7/12/05 at 4:43pm

I have a few.

RENT - It's just so amazing. It gets my emotions every time, and I never get tired of it.

Altar Boyz - These songs, after listening to it a billion times, they are still so funny. They all have such amazing vocals, too, and the CD can stand by itself.

Wicked - It's just great vocals. Idina owns.

bill mobley
#53re: What is your favorite cast recording?
Posted: 7/12/05 at 4:53pm

Concerning Funny Girl. I just can't believe that there was ever a time when Barbara was actually on stage in a broadway show. I'm sure a playbill from that time is probably worth a lot of money.

Favorite Cast Recording-My Fair Lady. 2nd choice-Company

Broadwaygirl22 Profile Photo
Broadwaygirl22
#54re: What is your favorite cast recording?
Posted: 7/12/05 at 7:09pm

I love Tick, Tick Boom. I've listened to pieces of it and it's great! I have a question about a song on the soundtrack though. My friend sang a song from it today at my theatre camp(he was amazing by the way) and it was about someone talking about Michael playing the piano and random stories and such. Does anyone know what it's called? It's a really long song.

"The opposite of war isn't peace, it's creation."

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#55re: What is your favorite cast recording?
Posted: 7/12/05 at 7:12pm

I was a huge AIDA fan for a while i would listen to that everyday. it was my first theatre obsession lol.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#56re: What is your favorite cast recording?
Posted: 7/12/05 at 9:13pm

I'd probably have to go with RENT for a number of reasons. One, it was my first cast recording that I owned (yeah, I wasn't really that into broadway shows until sort of recently) and it was also the first cast recording that really touched me emotionally. I know, sounds so cheesy and cliche but its true. I was so obsessed with RENT for a while and I related to both the story and characters on alot of different levels and its just one of those shows that I know I'll never outgrow or get tired of, no matter how old I get or what happens in my life. I've got alot of good memories relating to it. And two, I just really loved the cast's voices. RENT opened my eyes to the wonders that are Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp. :-P I definitly owe it that, at least.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#57re: What is your favorite cast recording?
Posted: 7/12/05 at 9:18pm

Brooklyn. It was the first cast recording I got in New York. It was right after the show...I sat in my seat and was just so amazed....then I RAN to the lady selling them.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

AJ1985 Profile Photo
AJ1985
#58re: What is your favorite cast recording?
Posted: 6/18/06 at 10:44pm

My first cast album was Songs from Ragtime which I won on a radio contest along with tickets to see the show. It is still one of my favorites.

Since seeing it on tv last week I have been listening non-stop to The Light in the Piazza.

Oh and count me among those who are sick of having Wicked being forced on us as some sort of oustanding theatre event. Its a fun show to see once or twice but the CD isn't very well produced. I like Avenue Q because listen to it with closed eyes and you can almost see the show. The Wicked songs don't do that. So I was glad when Q beat Wicked at the Tonys. Its a better show.

Mr. Peanut Man
#59re: What is your favorite cast recording?
Posted: 6/19/06 at 12:44am

Rent, The Last Five Years, Avenue Q, Hairspray and The Light in the Piazza

Each of these recordings spent at least 6 months each in my CD player.

I can listen to Wicked when I'm in the mood for some mindless show tunes.

rosekwbp Profile Photo
rosekwbp
#60re: What is your favorite cast recording?
Posted: 6/19/06 at 12:53am

Bernadette Peters Gypsy revival because it always manages to make me happy. Into The Woods too because I love the tricky lyrics.

#61re: What is your favorite cast recording?
Posted: 6/19/06 at 1:00am

i would say FUNNY GIRL because it is the first record i remember hearing in my life....my mom would play it over & over again & she, my sister & i would act it all out...when our mom was sad, we knew that we could get her back on her feet again by singing "WHO TAUGHT HER EVERYTHING?" or a super hammy version of "I'M THE GREATEST STAR!".

i think it taught me about how powerful humor can be, & that, even though i would never be "pretty", i could still be somebody special.
i think the album cover design had a huge influence on me & my art as well.

i still get totally hyper excited when i hear the overture...& oh the atmospheric horns on "CORNET MAN"!!!

COOOOLkid
#62re: What is your favorite cast recording?
Posted: 6/19/06 at 1:12am

When I first saw the first post on this thread, I was expecting another hate posts regarding Wicked... So much have changed in a year!

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

soapguy17 Profile Photo
soapguy17
#63re: What is your favorite cast recording?
Posted: 6/19/06 at 1:16am

AIDA and Funny Girl are at the top of my list as well.

I have NEVER met Cheyenne Jackson. I have never hung out with him in his dressing room, he did not tweet me, he never bought me a beverage, and he mostly certainly didn't tickle me. . .that is all.

worrell4077
#64re: What is your favorite cast recording?
Posted: 6/19/06 at 1:17pm

I would probably have to say that my favorite cast recording at the moment is Jersey Boys cause the songs are just so infectious and catchy and they are hard(well at least for me) to get out of my head. That and I enjoy listening to John Lloyd Young, Daniel Reichard, Christian Hoff, and J.Robert Spencer sing and talk.

Others would be The Drowsy Chaperone, Sweeney Todd(current revival), The Producers, SpamAlot, and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

altoid06 Profile Photo
altoid06
#65re: What is your favorite cast recording?
Posted: 6/19/06 at 4:40pm

RENT -- Every single person has a song that they can relate to. Plus, it's fun to sing along with Idina in my car. :)

Last 5 Years -- It's an amazing recording. It never gets old and I can listen to it and notice new things each time.

Altar Boyz -- This one is just fun. Everytime I listen to it I get a huge smile on my face. :)

Other notables -- Aida, DRS, TTB, Piazza, and Wicked. Ok. I'll admit it, I like pretty much all show tunes! :)

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." -- Maya Angelou

jerseyboyslover Profile Photo
jerseyboyslover
#66re: What is your favorite cast recording?
Posted: 6/19/06 at 6:25pm

My favories in order

1. Jersey Boys
2. Wicked
3. High school musical (movie cast recording)
4. Grease (movie)
5. Phantom of the Opera

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

PARISinNYC Profile Photo
PARISinNYC
#67re: What is your favorite cast recording?
Posted: 6/20/06 at 3:59am

Cabaret. Any recording. But my Wedding Singer and Reefer Madness CDs already have scratches on them. Those three are my favorites by far.

mirandajrs Profile Photo
mirandajrs
#68re: What is your favorite cast recording?
Posted: 6/20/06 at 5:11am

1) Hello, Dolly! 1964 Or 1994 Revival
2) Sweeney Todd 1979 Or 2005 Revival
3) Any Gypsy recording

Edith 'Little Edie' Bouvier Beale: Do you think my costume looked all right for Brooks? I think he was a little amazed.

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#69re: What is your favorite cast recording?
Posted: 6/20/06 at 7:39am

MY FAIR LADY - Original London Cast - because it's perfection, and it's the production I saw.

MAME - Original Broadway Cast - exciting and perfect renditions of each and every song. Also, it's the production I saw.

RGATIME - same as above.

There are too many favorites, really.

rosem7391 Profile Photo
rosem7391
#70re: What is your favorite cast recording?
Posted: 6/20/06 at 7:49am

Les Miz NEVER gets old.
I listen to it all the time...and it's been YEARS since I first listened to it. And one never gets tired of seeing the show either. :]

I love Avenue Q. The cast recording is SO catchy and fun...it's "yay".

Godspell 2000 (off broadway). I'm not a "JESUSOMG" person, but I love it. The cast is fabulous.

Ohhhhh I admit, I do listen to RENT, Wicked and POTO a lot..

wyou17 Profile Photo
wyou17
#71re: What is your favorite cast recording?
Posted: 6/20/06 at 8:43am

It's a mix of all-time favorite and currently played very often favorites, in order:

1.Into the Woods (OBC) My all-time favorite, need to have all the time. The PBS broadcast is the reason I became so interested in theater, and I couldn't love Bernadette Peters and Joanna Gleason more in this. My iPod currently has the OBC, OLC, 2002 Revival, and PBS DVD audio. In all honesty, this slot is really for the OBC and a few extra tracks pulled together from the other recordings

2.City of Angels (OBC) This is one of the two recordings that was in our family car growing up. Listened to it constantly, and was probably one of the few 7 year old boys out there able to sing Oolie's What You Don't Know About Woman and You Can Always Count On Me by heart...

3.The Secret Garden (OBC) The other cast recording in the car. Like this even more now. Great cast, beautiful music, funny accents. Love it.

4.Sunday in the Park With George (OBC) Have loved Bernadette's Witch since I was 6 or 7, but I didn't get ahold of the Sunday video until years later. Beautiful. First and second acts. Funny and touching.

5.Company (OBC) I don't understand how anyone couldn't love Elaine Stritch. Beth Howland's Getting Married Today and Pamela Myers' Another Hundred People get a lot of play.

6.The Last 5 Years - Maybe it's a college thing (everyone in my college's theater department loves it) but this gets played often. Sherie Rene Scott's songs get playedmore often on iPod playlists, but the entire recording is great and fun to sing along with.

7.Sweeney Todd - Great show, but I realize now I can't pick justone recording of it. Like Into the Woods, I need various tracks from the OBC, NY Philharmonic, Revival, and Concert DVD audio. And Harolyn Blackwell's Green Finch and Linnet Bird from Sondheim: A Celebration At Carnegie Hall...

8.The Light in the Piazza - Listened to this pretty much constantly since the Live From Lincoln Center broadcast on Thursday. Gorgeous. Love Victoria Clark. Love Dividing Day and Fable...now if I can just get around to putting some Aaron Lazar from the PBS broadcast on the iPod...

9.A Chorus Line (OBC) Funny and touching (a theme with a lot of my favorite cast recordings) I adore At the Ballet. And I am not ashamed to admit that the iPod also has Let Me Dance For You and Surprise, Surprise added to that playlist...

10.Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Once More With Feeling (Soundtrack) Guilty pleasure? Perhaps. Reluctant to put this on this board? A little. Listen to this more often than a lot of other more "legit" cast recordings? Absolutely. Sure, it's not the best written or best sung, and it cannot really be appreciated by anyone who doesn't meet the previsou 100+ episodes of Buffy watched prereq. But for those of us who had been watching all along, this was just perfect. So fun, so easy to sing along to, so endearing. Just make sure you get a hold of Anya's song (I'll Be) Mrs. from the next season to add to the playlist. For completist's sake.
Updated On: 6/20/06 at 08:43 AM

bwayondabrain
#72re: What is your favorite cast recording?
Posted: 6/20/06 at 10:31am

SWEET CHARITY (2005 New Broadway Cast Recording)- The music is so upbeat, so classic and yet different, and the cast does a fantastic job!

Close runner-ups: THE COLOR PURPLE, THE LAST 5 YEARS, THE PAJAMA GAME (New Broadway Cast)

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#73re: What is your favorite cast recording?
Posted: 6/20/06 at 10:58am

Concerning Funny Girl. I just can't believe that there was ever a time when Barbara was actually on stage in a broadway show.

I saw her in FUNNY GIRL, and believe me, it really wasn't that unforgettable. Yes, when she opened her mouth to sing, you woke up, but otherwise, it was a fairly dull affair. Had I known she would become this (inexplicable to me) major star, I would have paid better attention.
Updated On: 6/20/06 at 10:58 AM

iHeartMyGeek Profile Photo
iHeartMyGeek
#74re: What is your favorite cast recording?
Posted: 6/20/06 at 11:59am

BwayGirl, the song from Tick...Tick...BOOM! is called "Why". It's a very very heartfelt and beautiful song.

"I can't figure out what kind of life this is, comedy or tragedy, I just know it's showbiz. And what if I don't agree with the lines I have to read? They don't pay me enough, the way I see it."

Videos