News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Producers Trailer Here, Seriously- Page 3

Producers Trailer Here, Seriously

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#50karen
Posted: 9/20/05 at 8:22pm

Oscarwatch is bashing it pretty bad.

But I doubt many of them take interest in musicals.

Besides the one with WICKED Avatar, and you - Evelyn.

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#51karen
Posted: 9/20/05 at 8:23pm

OH MY GOD IT's ABOUTT TIME.

I'm SOOO HAPPY.

Um, ok obviously, Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick look sensational, which I expected, as does Gary Beach, which I also expected.

Hate Roger's hair, but I'll get over it. Haha Sabu was in more of the trailer than poor Roger. But he'll turn heads when it comes out, obviously, cause he's awesome.

Uma looks SENSATIONALLY hot. However, in listening to the music that was underneath her dancing, (and this could just be trailer stuff) but it did NOT sound like "Flaunt It". Perhaps Ulla will have a new song to cover up what singing ability Uma may not have. That would make sense (the two new songs being one for Ulla and the one replacing Where Did We Go Right?) Of course, this is ALL speculation.

I love WIll Ferrel and he fits the part so well. His singing voice does not instill confidence in me, though.

Finally, the grainy feel is REALLY cool and I hope that's what the movie is like. Thw hwole thing reminded me of watching the old splashy musicals of old on VHS like Singin' in the Rain and Wizard of Oz (before they were brilliantly restored on DVD) which really makes me smile. Kudos to Sue Stroman.

All in all, my excitement has only tripled. Can't WAIT.

Updated On: 9/20/05 at 08:23 PM

AuditioningWaitress
#52karen
Posted: 9/20/05 at 8:24pm

Wow, thanks for the link!

EvelynNesbit1906 Profile Photo
EvelynNesbit1906
#53karen
Posted: 9/20/05 at 8:37pm

There are quite a few CHICAGO and MOULIN ROUGE fans on Oscarwatch. They just tend to dislike musicals that don't, um... try to reinvent the genre. LOL.

I think that overall, The Producers looks like a good time in the movie theater. Not quite a movie musical that will put others to shame but definitely some high points.

jam_man
#54karen
Posted: 9/20/05 at 8:44pm

Looked great, can't wait!

I, personally love Will Ferrel (just ask anyone at my school - for the last year every other word we say in drama is a quote from Anchorman), and think he'll be terriffic as Franz. Though I'd still have MUCH rather seen Robin Williams. Oh well.

I'm not sure if the trailer backs my opinion about the (possibillities, of course) of the Rent movir versus The Producers. I've been saying that, assuming that they're both well done, The Producers would have a better chance of cathing on, a la Chicago. However, I've also said that if Rent does start to catch on, it COULD be bigger than Chicago. Not sure if The Producers trailer looks like that kinda movie, but all of this is just an opinion.

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#55karen
Posted: 9/20/05 at 8:46pm

THE PRODUCERS will probably make more money then RENT, but I don't think THE PRODUCERS is going to be a major Oscar contender (outside of maybe tech awards and a supporting actress nod). It's just too silly, and the advance word on it is just too iffy.

jam_man
#56karen
Posted: 9/20/05 at 8:51pm

Well, for the record, as far as comedy films at the Oscars go, Mel Brooks has been pretty succsessful, though a lot of that was '74 (Blazing Sadles and Young Frankenstien - arguably the two funniest movies ever).

GO CARDINALS!!!

jam_man
#57karen
Posted: 9/20/05 at 8:52pm

However, I do think that Rent (again, assuming both are good) will have a better shot with the Oscars. My "catching on" was more about the general public.

GO CARDINALS!!!

EvelynNesbit1906 Profile Photo
EvelynNesbit1906
#58karen
Posted: 9/20/05 at 8:55pm

I'm worried that Rent will also have over the top moments that verge on campy (in Sontag's "failed seriousness" sense of the word). Like why do I think that during I'll Cover You: Reprise might involve Tracie and the other friends getting up from the pews to join Jesse in song midway down the church aisle. I'm getting ahead of myself...

As far as Mel Brooks' past success goes - and I'm sure you know this - Charlie Chaplin and Mary Pickford were active members of the Academy then. There's still a chance that The Producers could occupy a Full Monty slot, but I'm not holding my breath.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#59karen
Posted: 9/20/05 at 8:59pm

If RENT is going to work on film, you'll know in the first ten-fifteen minutes. Being a musical, it's expected to have "over-the-top" moments. "I'll Cover You Reprise" might be campy if it came 90 minutes into a non musical film, but by the time an audience has (I'm assuming) bought into singing junkies, a dancing drag queen, and a bunch of people dancing and singing on tables in a restaurant -- a church sing along isn't going to seem very campy...

TennesseeTwang
#60karen
Posted: 9/20/05 at 9:00pm

I think it's too soon to tell how EITHER film will be received by audiences, critics or AMPAS.

This year could be very weird year as far as awards are concerned.
Updated On: 9/20/05 at 09:00 PM

loudasthehelliwant Profile Photo
loudasthehelliwant
#61karen
Posted: 9/20/05 at 9:07pm

I'm not counting on either getting awards- though I'm not ruling it out (don't forget that the original Producers won Brooks a screenplay Oscar though).

I must say that the trailer looks just terrific.

I really can't wait to see this film.

Now, if they could just put this up on the US site. :-P

"I mean, how many of us could honestly say that at one time or another he hasn't set fire to some great public building?"

DreamFlyer22 Profile Photo
DreamFlyer22
#62Wooooot!
Posted: 9/20/05 at 9:10pm

Whoo!! This holiday season is going to ROCK. Wooooot! Cannot wait to see this film AND Rent. Speculation about the Oscars, etc is nice... but I'm willing to wait. And enjoy.

*~* Every time you double-post, God kills a kitten. *~*

Kay, the Thread-Jacking Jedi
Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead...)

"... chasin' the music. Trying to get home."

Peter Gregus: "Where are my house right ladies?!"
(love you, girls! - 6/13/06)

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#63Wooooot!
Posted: 9/20/05 at 10:37pm

That clip of Springtime for Hitler looked great! I can't wait till it comes out.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

#64Wooooot!
Posted: 9/20/05 at 10:42pm

omg! cannot wait!

everyone looks like they are going to be amazing!

Marguerite Chauvelin
#65Wooooot!
Posted: 9/20/05 at 10:43pm

Happy dance!!

If Percy Blakeney were in Les Mis....

Percy: Sink me! If it isn't Javvurt!
Javert: Zsah-vair, it's pronounced Zsah-vair.
Pecry: But it's spelled J-A-V-E-R-T Javvurt.
Javert: Repeat after me Zsah...Zsah....
Percy: Oh! Zsa-Zsa! Like the Gabor sister! Well I personally have always prefered Eva.
Javert: (Looks for gun)

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#66Wooooot!
Posted: 9/20/05 at 10:48pm

I had a smile on my face the entire time. I cannot wait!

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#67Wooooot!
Posted: 9/20/05 at 11:11pm

I can not wait now! That trailer made me really laugh...whee!

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#68Wooooot!
Posted: 9/21/05 at 12:09am

Excuse my lazy use of the seach function. I saw Jon Lovitz name in the credits. Who is he playing in the movie? I love him.

I think the trailer looks fine. They're not going for the audience that will love The Producers for being a Broadway smash, they're trying to market it to people who would love a fast-paced farce. I think it's being marketed just fine. If it's not being marketed for the Oscars, oh well.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#69Wooooot!
Posted: 9/21/05 at 12:15am

Jon Lovitz is playing Mr Marks (Leo's boss).
Updated On: 9/21/05 at 12:15 AM

boytobroadway
#70Wooooot!
Posted: 9/21/05 at 12:26am

Oh my gosh!!! THis is going to be HILARIOUS!!! not only is the moviw coming out, but I am seeing it in November as well on stage. I am so glad they got Nathan Lane and Mathew Broderick back together, they make this moveie and musical happen.

I AM SO DANG EXCITED!!!! Thank you for posting this.

Thank you very much,
B2B

itstheM Profile Photo
itstheM
#71Wooooot!
Posted: 9/21/05 at 12:36am

I was really excited to see it. Will Ferrell looks hilarious. The problem with it is that it doesn't look like a musical. No one sings except Will and Springtime. You hear the music, but you never see Matthew or Nathan sing. They are trying to bill it as not a musical because they think more people will see it just as a comedy. Oh well Wooooot!
PS-did anyone else think Matthew's voice was a strange choice?

Baby, dream your dream Close your eyes and try it!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#72Wooooot!
Posted: 9/21/05 at 12:41am

I had no idea Jai Rodriguez was playing Sabu... how sexy. Just another reason to go now.. sad though that I recognized his chest from the trailer and then went to imdb to be sure... hmmmm....

littlechap2 Profile Photo
littlechap2
#73Wooooot!
Posted: 9/21/05 at 12:51am

itstheM, Broaderick definitly sings a few bars of 'I Wanna Be A Producer." And I think his speaking voice is a great choice. It is the same as he did it on stage. It shows his innocence, and it isvery different from Gene Wilder.

"I sang it because I'm your friend."

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#74Wooooot!
Posted: 9/21/05 at 12:55am

Interesting.

I HATE this show with a passion - I think it's the most overrated piece of drivel. However, this trailer really entertained me. I even smiled! It might actually be good!

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Videos