pixeltracker

Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018- Page 39

Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018

Wilmingtom
#950Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 10/5/17 at 8:28pm

To those turning their noses up at the casting of Harry Hadden-Patton, you would do well to investigate his acclaimed career in the theater including the West End, National Theatre, Young Vic, Donmar, Battersea, Southwark, Royal Court, etc.  His training at LAMDA seems to have served him well.  Yes, he has also done film and television but in the UK, that doesn't qualify you as a second class citizen. As for Ambrose, it seems to me that she could easily pass for under 40 onstage.Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania lauren ambrose 2017

Harriet Craig Profile Photo
Harriet Craig
#951Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 10/5/17 at 8:41pm

perfectlymarvelous said: "I saw Diana Rigg in a truly awful production of Pygmalion in London 6 years ago but she was wonderful so I'm happy to see her tackle the role again."

I saw that production too, and I agree that Diana Rigg was wonderful (when is she not?). I don't remember much else about it except that Rupert Everett was way too dark as Higgins (more Dracula than Henry Higgins), so I'm just curious, perfectlymarvelous:  why did you think it was "truly awful"?

By a curious coincidence, the day after seeing Pygmalion on that 2011 trip, I saw a Terence Rattigan play called Flare Path, in which Harry Hadden-Paton gave a wonderful performance as a terrified RAF pilot in WWII who (being English) can't bring himself to tell his wife how scared he is. Very different from Henry Higgins, but proof that he has the theatrical chops that make me look forward to seeing him as Higgins.

enjoyable2
#952Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 10/5/17 at 8:42pm

Conrad ruined his K and I songs, at least on the recording, for me because he could not easily hit the highest notes. They were strained and definitely not in head voice. He'd ruin OTSWYL

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#953Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 10/5/17 at 8:44pm

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "MCfan2 said: "Well, it's not like she actually retweeted it. Honestly, I find the "checking up on which tweets celebrities have liked" thing a tad creepy. Liking is one thing, RTing is another."

Nice attempt at deflecting. Doesn't change the fact thatshe's openly and publicly liking sentiments that are bad-mouthing this production and essentially Lauren Ambrose.
"

I like tweets that make me laugh. That includes weeks from trump or Cynthia Erivo, but that doesn’t mean I LIKE or agree with those tweets. Maybe Laura is doing the same thing.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#954Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 10/5/17 at 9:00pm

Surprised to see some people dislike the key art. I think it’s absolutely gorgeous. Might be my favorite I’ve seen from LCT (and I’ve loved everything they’ve done).

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#955Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 10/5/17 at 9:01pm

Call_me_jorge said: "ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "MCfan2 said: "Well, it's not like she actually retweeted it. Honestly, I find the "checking up on which tweets celebrities have liked" thing a tad creepy. Liking is one thing, RTing is another."

Nice attempt at deflecting. Doesn't change the fact thatshe's openly and publicly liking sentiments that are bad-mouthing this production and essentially Lauren Ambrose.
"

I like tweets that make me laugh. That includes weeks from trump or Cynthia Erivo, but that doesn’t mean I LIKE or agree with those tweets. Maybe Laura is doing the same thing.
"

I'm sure Benanti doesn't actually like the Tweets saying how she's their dream Eliza and that she should have been cast. Also, the people who posted the tweets will take your likes as you actually liking/supporting their tweets.

Updated On: 10/5/17 at 09:01 PM

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#956Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 10/5/17 at 9:09pm

Honestly, I know nothing about Lauren Ambrose or her work, but she looks lovely (and she does NOT look like she's pushing forty, so I don't think her age is much of an issue), and I'm sure she did something in that audition room that really sparked Sher's interest. I'm excited to see what she brings to the role.

As for Laura Benanti liking those Tweets, I too think it's in bad taste. Yes, I understand it's your dream role. It's nice to want things. However, if someone else outperformed you at the auditions and was ultimately a better match for the part, then that's just the way it is. Passive aggressively liking Tweets that dog Ambrose/the casting is just immature, imo. 

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire
Updated On: 10/5/17 at 09:09 PM

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#957Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 10/5/17 at 9:16pm

Harriet Craig said: "perfectlymarvelous said: "I saw Diana Rigg in a truly awful production of Pygmalion in London 6 years ago but she was wonderful so I'm happy to see her tackle the role again."

I saw that production too, and I agree that Diana Rigg was wonderful (when is she not?). I don't remember much else about itexcept that Rupert Everett was way too dark as Higgins (more Dracula than Henry Higgins), so I'm just curious, perfectlymarvelous: why did you think it was "truly awful"?

By a curious coincidence, the day after seeing Pygmalion on that 2011 trip, I saw a Terence Rattigan play called Flare Path, in which Harry Hadden-Paton gave a wonderful performance as a terrified RAF pilot in WWII who (being English) can't bring himself to tell his wife how scared he is. Very different from Henry Higgins, but proof that he has the theatrical chops that make me look forward to seeing him as Higgins.
"

It was, if I remember correctly, very heavily edited and just didn't work at all. I also thought the direction was a complete misinterpretation of the play; they attempted to direct the whole thing like a drawing room comedy and the only scene that worked was, in fact, the famous drawing room scene. I also thought the Eliza (a television actor whose name I'm forgetting) was incredibly weak with no presence at all, and Everett was horribly miscast and misdirected. It was all around misguided, with the exception of Dame Diana Rigg who can probably do no wrong. 

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#958Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 10/5/17 at 9:32pm

After all the fuss, and the mostly negative comments about Ambrose, it's fascinating that Sher has cast a nobody in the role of Higgins. I went back to look at who Hadden-Paton was in Downton Abbey, and I have no recollection of his character (Bertie) at all. I guess LCT has all the money in the world, and doesn't really care if the average theatergoer chooses not to plunk down hundreds of dollars for near-unknowns. But I will point out that none of the Broadway revivals of MFL (in the 70s, 80s and 90s) were financially or, for that matter, artistically successful, so this production is not a slam dunk at all.

And the fact that H-P is three years older than Ambrose? I remember the fuss that went on when Audrey Hepburn, then in her thirties, was cast (and not just because of the Julie Andrews brouhaha). Seems pretty ridiculous.

Audiences that are still lining up for HAMILTON all over the country will not necessarily be lining up for this. The fact that us theatre queens have been buzzing for months about the casting will not automatically turn into box office dollars.

Harriet Craig Profile Photo
Harriet Craig
#959Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 10/5/17 at 9:33pm

perfectlymarvelous said: "Harriet Craig said: "perfectlymarvelous said: "I saw Diana Rigg in a truly awful production of Pygmalion in London 6 years ago but she was wonderful so I'm happy to see her tackle the role again."

I saw that production too, and I agree that Diana Rigg was wonderful (when is she not?). I don't remember much else about itexcept that Rupert Everett was way too dark as Higgins (more Dracula than Henry Higgins), so I'm just curious, perfectlymarvelous: why did you think it was "truly awful"?

"

It was, if I remember correctly, very heavily edited and just didn't work at all. I also thought the direction was a complete misinterpretation of the play; they attempted to direct the whole thinglike a drawing room comedy and the only scene that worked was, in fact, the famous drawing room scene. I also thought the Eliza (a television actor whose name I'm forgetting) was incredibly weak with no presence at all, and Everett was horribly miscast and misdirected. It was all around misguided, with the exception of Dame Diana Rigg who can probably do no wrong.
"

Oh yeah, it's all coming back to me now -- no wonder I blocked out everything except Dame Diana!

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#960Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 10/5/17 at 9:47pm

Was Laura even considered in the first place? She looks too old for the part IMO.

ArtMan
#961Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 10/5/17 at 9:52pm

Jay, He played the rich aristocrat that Lady Edith married in the finale.  Watching those episodes, 1-2 years ago, I would have never thought he was in his early 30's.  He came across much older in those episodes.  In my opinion, mid 40's at the least.  It's funny Lauren will play younger than her age and he will come across older.  I'm skipping my annual trip next year to NY for shows and going on a 11 day cruise in its place.  This revival would have been high on my list if the casting was different.  As it stands the only part cast that made me excited was Miss Emma Peel herself, Diana Rigg.

broadwayboy223
#962Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 10/5/17 at 10:29pm

Honestly Ambrose would be better suited to play Anna in frozen. I just don't understand how there was his whole hype of a "star" Higgins and then the casting announcement and BAM nothing. Also if people wanna complain and be disappointed about the casting let them. I know I am. Can anyone on here honestly say they've never been disappointed by a casting announcement when their fave isn't it something? It's just human nature 

Owen22
#963Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 10/5/17 at 10:31pm

I don't understand...isn't Eliza a soprano role...?

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#964Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 10/5/17 at 10:43pm

Ambrose is obviously qualified, and Benanti is allowed to be as salty as she’d like. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#965Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 10/5/17 at 10:49pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "Ambrose is obviously qualified, and Benanti is allowed to be as salty as she’d like."

Why? Because she didn't get a part she wanted? It happens all the time. She'll get other chances for roles. 

Tony2600
#966Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 10/5/17 at 10:49pm

It appears that Sher saw something very special in Ambrose years ago when he cast her as Fanny Brice in an aborted revival of Funny Girl.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#967Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 10/5/17 at 10:50pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "Ambrose is obviously qualified, andBenanti is allowed to be as salty as she’d like."

Benanti’s behavior is pretty much par for the course, and isn’t super surprising. I was much more bothered by The Interval, which calls itself the Smart Girl’s Guide to Theater, being needlessly shady about the casting. I guess they won’t be interviewing Ambrose any time soon. 

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
Updated On: 10/5/17 at 10:50 PM

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#968Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 10/5/17 at 10:52pm

Elfuhbuh said: "IdinaBellFoster said: "Ambrose is obviously qualified, and Benanti is allowed to be as salty as she’d like."

Why? Because she didn't get a part she wanted? It happens all the time. She'll get other chances for roles.
"

She is still allowed to be salty lol. Disappointment and jealousy are very human reactions.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#969Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 10/5/17 at 10:57pm

Of course she's allowed to be upset. I just think this attitude of "Well it's a CRIME that they didn't cast Laura Benanti!"  that's in the Tweets she's liking is excessive, and that one referring to Ambrose as a "this" was just plain rude, especially since no one even knows how she'll be in the role yet. It feels to me like there's this sort of idea that Benanti should've gotten the role just because she really really wanted it, and that's just not how these things work.

Updated On: 10/5/17 at 10:57 PM

CallMeAl2 Profile Photo
CallMeAl2
#970Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 10/5/17 at 11:03pm

So, this show is taking place in a universe where Norbert Leo Butz is Loren Ambrose's father? O.K.

By the way, I would pay to see NLB play Henry Higgins.

VintageSnarker
#971Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 10/5/17 at 11:13pm

Is it too much to hope for a Frozen situation with exciting casting for the understudies/standbys?

Also, while I don't hate the art, I agree the style doesn't work as well for this show. It's far too soft and dreamy and... not cold exactly, but impersonal and nondescript. It doesn't capture the bustle of the city and it doesn't get the princess-y fantasy of the high society half of the story. They feel like mannequins in Grand Central or something. A frozen tableau.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#972Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 10/5/17 at 11:33pm

Benanti can be as salty as she likes, but that may result in some loss of respect for her if she can't take disappointment like a mature adult who doesn't have entitlement issues. I also think it's a weird move because it might piss Sher and Lincoln Center off, but maybe she knows that bridge is forever burned so she has nothing to lose on that front.

Updated On: 10/5/17 at 11:33 PM

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#973Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 10/5/17 at 11:56pm

cknick said: "Wick3 said: "Did they announce who will perform as Freddy? One of my favorite songs in musical theater is "On the street where you live"

would be interesting if Freddy is performed by a POC.
"

Christian Dante White or Conrad Ricamora could be exciting!
"

I agree with you! I saw Hello Dolly! when Gavin Creel was out and Christian Dante White performed as Cornelius and he was spectacular (I saw the production again with Gavin and thought Christian performed better but Gavin may have had an off day that day.) id love to hear Christian sing "on the street where you live"!!!

A Director
#974Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 10/5/17 at 11:58pm

I heard a rumor this production is going to start with a Prologue.  The lights will come up on a group of theatre mavens and musical comedy queens sitting in front of computers or cell phones as the casting for this production is announced.  Then to the tune of "I Could Have Danced All Night," they will raise their voices in song,

"I'm gonna b*tch all night,  I'm gonna b*tch all night, And then I'll b*tch some more."

Videos