pixeltracker

HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews- Page 4

HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#75HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/23/23 at 12:46pm

So don't boss me around, unless you're my boss.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#76HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/23/23 at 2:20pm

Some of y'all are getting testy.

Burn the turkey or something?

emlo99
#77HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/23/23 at 5:00pm

I believe if someone is non-binary the correct pronoun would be “they.”

Anyway, I also didn’t like the show. I thought their performance at the parade was better than when I saw it, though. Looks like they’ve improved which isn’t really saying much.

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#78HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/23/23 at 5:18pm

emlo99 said: "I believe if someone is non-binary the correct pronoun would be “they.”"

Not necessarily. Non-binary people use whatever pronouns they use. I'm non-binary, and while I use they/them pronouns when I talk about myself, I also accept he/him pronouns. Some non-binary people use their born pronouns, and some use any pronouns. It differs from person to person, and the general rule of thumb is whatever that person says goes.

emlo99
#79HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/23/23 at 5:30pm

Ah, got it. Thanks for expending that energy to educate.

Updated On: 11/23/23 at 05:30 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#80HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/23/23 at 8:23pm

Ashley Wool all but confirmed a forthcoming cast recording sometime in 2024 on the show’s Instagram story today. 

Oh look, a bibu!

tomwsjr
#81HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/23/23 at 8:43pm

Based on the awful performance I saw on todays parade I’ll be skipping this show!

OhHiii
#82HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/24/23 at 7:08am

There are several non-binary actors in this company, all of whom have their pronouns listed in the show Playbill and the website. It’s not that hard, especially when the topic is also acknowledged in the show, you’re just showing you didn’t pay attention.

Throwing around “you’re not my boss meeep meep meep” as a full grown adult is so childish you should be embarrassed. Are you 5? 

yyys
#83HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/24/23 at 9:18pm

Intermission...this is awful...would not recommend. 

Updated On: 11/24/23 at 09:18 PM

mshalo18
#84HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/24/23 at 10:59pm

yyys said: "Intermission...this is awful...would not recommend."

Based on the negative word of mouth and the underwhelming parade performance, I decided to sell my ticket for Sunday (it actually sold quickly). Clearly this was one of my better ideas. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#85HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/24/23 at 11:59pm

This is clearly eliciting a divisive response based on what I’ve heard so far, which makes me even more fascinated to read the reviews in a couple of weeks. 

Oh look, a bibu!

BoringBoredBoard40
#86HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/25/23 at 2:33am

Kind of seems like trying to make a for profit venture out of the experiences of disabled people maybe holistically isn't the best idea when none of your creatives are actually autistic...

emlo99
#87HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/25/23 at 3:53pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Kind of seems like trying to make a for profit venture out of the experiences of disabled people maybe holistically isn't the best idea when none of your creatives are actually autistic..."

That’s the biggest problem I had with it. It felt like autism 101, which is fine, but it definitely wasn’t for me, an actual autistic person. I can see this doing well in the theatreworks tour circuit, a la Percy Jackson, or at regional theatres where the patrons are in their 70s.

Pro-1686404964
#88HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/25/23 at 4:16pm

Went back and saw this last night. Wow.  Having a sibling with autism - this hit even harder the 2nd time. Was with a group of friends who thought it was fantastic.  Packed with positive, strong, universal messages, beautiful songs, and great performances.   The show is considerably tighter and running about 2:20 now. The creative team has done a fantastic job here with changes.  This is a celebration of being human, overcoming our fears, finding joy in the day to day, second chances, and personal growth.   Broadway and the world needs this show now IMO.  

Updated On: 11/27/23 at 04:16 PM

BroadwayBoy0924
#89HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/28/23 at 3:28pm

I think I am in the minority among those who have posted on this thread...I really loved this musical, I thought the cast was excellent and this show has great potential. The show really moved me and I was bawling for pretty much the last twenty minutes straight. I thought Building Momentum and So Much in Common were excellent, as well as Slow Dancing. I really hope the critics are kind to this show since I think they really need a boost.

I do agree that there are areas that could use improvement/changes.  The second act was definitely stronger. I enjoyed Getting Ready for the Dance. I think that song was really sweet. So I do feel like there is a place for the parents, but maybe just a little less. Also maybe just Caroline, Jessica, and Marideth's parents and drop the others. I can't recall who the other parents were that popped up, but felt unnecessary. The storyline with Mr. Amigos and the female reporter was kind of cringy and unnecessary. I think they could've just shown how much Mr. Amigos admired her for her quality of work and didn't need to go further with that.

The standouts of the show were clearly the 7 "kids" and Mr. Amigos. They could definitely take out some filler from the other cast.

My one biggest note with the music is to cut down the references to Ohio. It felt overdone and cheesy. I loved Kimberly Akimbo last year and they sang "in New Jersey" frequently, but it worked for them. The frequent "Ohio" lyrics felt like a carbon copy and predictable.  I hope the Directors/Producers/etc can make some adjustments before opening nights as I really want this show to be set up for success.

KevinKlawitter
#90HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/28/23 at 5:19pm

BroadwayBoy0924 said: "I think I am in the minority among those who have posted on this thread...I really loved this musical, I thought the cast was excellent and this show has great potential. The show really moved me and I was bawling for pretty much the last twenty minutes straight. I thought Building Momentum and So Much in Common were excellent, as well as Slow Dancing. I really hope the critics are kind to this show since I think they really need a boost.

I do agree that there are areas that could use improvement/changes. The second act was definitely stronger. I enjoyed Getting Ready for the Dance. I think that song was really sweet. So I do feel like there is a place for the parents, but maybe just a little less. Also maybe just Caroline, Jessica, and Marideth's parents and drop the others. I can't recall who the other parents were that popped up, but felt unnecessary. The storyline with Mr. Amigos and the female reporter was kind of cringy and unnecessary. I think they could've just shown how much Mr. Amigos admired her for her quality of work and didn't need to go further with that.

The standouts of the show were clearly the 7 "kids" and Mr. Amigos. They could definitely take out some filler from the other cast.

My one biggest note with the music is to cut down the references to Ohio. It felt overdone and cheesy. I loved Kimberly Akimbo last year and they sang "in New Jersey" frequently, but it worked for them. The frequent "Ohio" lyrics felt like a carbon copy and predictable. I hope the Directors/Producers/etc can make some adjustments before opening nights as I really want this show to be set up for success.
"

I'm with you - I thought it was wonderful, and the audience I saw it with loved it.  It was the most actively responsive audience I was part of out of the six shows I saw over the weekend.  The music doesn't really break any molds innovation-wise, but the songs are all good.  The book has some missteps, but it ultimately comes to a conclusion that is both sweet and empowering. The young cast is fantastic, and I also like how they humanized the adults as well. I think this show has the potential to be a real crowdpleaser with reach outside of Broadway circles.

One thing I want to bring up is the subplot involving Mr. Amigos and the reporter.  It's definitely flawed in its execution, but I can see why it's there:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Mr. Amigos's arc is one of him realizing he has a habit of missing the forest for the trees, and sometimes takes an overly paternal view of his clients (not to mention his daughter) rather than allowing them to make their own decisions on their own terms.  The subplot involving the press (it must be mentioned that this was completely made up for the musical and isn't part of the documentary at all) demonstrates some of these character flaws because he insists the press talk to him rather than the clients, and show how the flattery from both as well as his attraction to the reporter means he misses how the blogger is coming to the wrong conclusions.

Rather than being a savior narrative, it shows how people come to tell stories that way and why they aren't helpful (and are often insulting) to the communities they are ostensibly about

Again, it could have be executed better, but as it stands I think the conclusion is ultimately worth the sometimes-rocky road it takes to get there.

forfivemoreminutes
#91HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/28/23 at 8:49pm

Has anyone seen this through TDF? If so, where were your seats?

BoringBoredBoard40
#92HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/29/23 at 1:33am

Friend who went tonight said the show ran about 2 hour and 20 minutes with intermission so certainly seems it be trimming down since first preview

Pro-1686404964
#93HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/29/23 at 12:45pm

I was really pleased with the run time and trims at my last visit.   Noticed enhanced production value with additional lighting cues as well.   Audience was really responsive.   Lots of families and non-traditional theater goers. As a result, it took a little longer to seat the house.  So suggest getting there a few minutes earlier your normal arrival time.  

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#94HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/29/23 at 1:16pm

Impressive that you noticed lighting cue changes but have they made any significant cuts or changes to the book/score?

thephantomlurker
#95HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/29/23 at 1:38pm

Bill Snibson said: "Impressive that you noticed lighting cue changes but have they made any significant cuts or changes to the book/score?"

According to friends who've seen it (and posters in this thread), they've cut over 15 minutes since first preview.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#96HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/29/23 at 4:53pm

Interesting piece on Hal Prince's involvement. He was signed on as director for 2 years prior to his death 4 years ago and developed it with the authors.

I can't remember a more prominent "in loving memory of" dedication on Broadway. Perhaps it's contractual with his estate. Tons of shows have been dedicated to people who were instrumental to their development (SLIH/Craig Zadan, Mean Girls/Stuart Thompson, etc), but this could invite dissenting critics to say "Sammi Cannold is no Hal Prince" or "are they trying to sell tickets on his name?"

Updated On: 11/29/23 at 04:53 PM

emlo99
#97HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/29/23 at 6:04pm

This makes me even more curious for reviews.

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#98HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/29/23 at 8:20pm

mshalo18 said: "yyys said: "Intermission...this is awful...would not recommend."

Based on the negative word of mouth and the underwhelming parade performance, I decided to sell my ticket for Sunday (it actually sold quickly). Clearly this was one of my better ideas.
"

It’s getting great reviews from the shills, I mean new members who recently joined. 

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#99HOW TO DANCE IN OHIO Broadway Previews
Posted: 11/29/23 at 8:40pm

I knew Hal Prince was connected a year before he passed away, but the prominence of his name on at least one of the posters for this did surprise me.  (Of course, even though I consider myself a huge fan, I snarkily wonder if it would have been a better final original musical to remember him by than the disastrous Paradise Found...)

Videos