pixeltracker

Grade the Tony Musical Performances- Page 4

Grade the Tony Musical Performances

AlanAntonio Profile Photo
AlanAntonio
#75Fantasia
Posted: 6/11/07 at 11:26am

I must admit that I was not a big Fantasia fan. After her performance in last night's Tonys, I have officially turned around and enlisted as one of her admirers! FANTASIA WAS AWESOME! What a stunning performance! I liked La Chanza, but she did not sing that song I'm Here the way Fantasia did. Those who had reservations about Fantasia's talent and worthiness to play the lead in the Color Purple ought to go see the show. Fantasia is simply marvelous!

Kringas
#76Fantasia
Posted: 6/11/07 at 11:34am

I thought the "Curtains" number was a total snoozer.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

MOXIEINTHECITY
#77Fantasia
Posted: 6/11/07 at 11:35am

Updated On: 1/17/14 at 11:35 AM

LostLeander
#78Fantasia
Posted: 6/11/07 at 11:47am

Chorus Line - B They were lip synching for the first part, but they danced well. It was a little lame, and predictable, but well done I suppose.

And I HATED the head shot opening - and the "Maybe this star is behind the headshot, maybe NOT!" I felt like I was playing Broadway peek-a-boo.

Curtains - B Good performance of a very generic and forced "Broadway Anthem". It was nice.

110 in the Shade - A- Audra, of course, is fantastic. And showed her brilliant acting in those TERRIBLY awkward "before the break previews". She sang well, but the end is always a little awkward for her, as she is mixing those notes, and not belting, or using her soprano. It's an appropriate vocal choice given her character choices, but always leaves something to be desired. (And I am the BIGGEST Audra McDonald fan. Seriously. I own everything she's ever recorded) Anyway, she's a fantastic actress, and she had a lot of fun with a great number.

Mary Poppins - B- Boring. Ashley Brown is one of the most generic performers I have ever witnessed. Lovely voice. Not a thing going on in her head. The performance felt muddled, and it couldn't really keep my attention. And, I too, wanted to see the bitch fly.

Company - A- Raul's a fantastic actor - but did anyone else notice that he wasn't playing the piano? The chords would always come in a second before he actually pressed down on the keys. Whatever - it's not that important. Sang the hell out of the song, acted it well too. I'm sorry he lost.

Grey Gardens - B+ I was underwhelmed. I know she's tired, and sick, and I know that she's brilliant, but this was not her best performance, and not a terribly good song choice for the Tonys. Happy she won, though.

Jersey Boys - D. They sounded tired, their presence was completely unneccessary, and I don't like the show. SO, needless to say, I did not enjoy this.

Fantasia - A. Best performance of the evening, I think. I was most impressed with her, and I actually kind of hate Fantasia. Her voice didn't get on my nerves so much (except when she was singing really high). I'm glad she did it out of context (which allows for more R&B church lady screaming she does so well), but she connected with the song extremely well, and gave a powerful performance. Kudos to her.

All in all, I thought it was a fairly unexciting telecast, with only one true surprise - Best Actor in a Musical, but otherwise, predictable and mediocre.

They really need to get a host.

Personally, I think I have too much bloom.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#79Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 11:54am

A Chorus Line- B
The outside segment was dumb, with the exception of Marvin Hamlisch, who seemed to be having a good time up on the roof. Inside, they were fairly good, though they lipsynced.

Curtains- A+
Wow. I cried just thinking of Kander and Ebb and their wonderful partnership. Besides, the song is wonderful too.

110 in the Shade- A
Audra was excellent. John Cullum didn't do much, but it was nice to see him. It isn't my favorite song from 110 in the Shade, but it was still quite good.

Mary Poppins- B
I thought the Step in Time segement was quite alright. Anything Can Happen was certainly energetic. Strange, but I enjoyed this performance more than the show itself.

Company- A
Wow. Esparza was stunning. I loved David Hyde Pierce and was happy with his win, but Mr. Esparza needn't be discouraged. He's still wonderful.

Grey Gardens- A
Christine was a little sick and it showed, but she pulled it off very well. Congratulations to her!

Spring Awakening- C
Mama Who Bore me was alright. The Bitch of Living was okay. Totally F**ked was ridiculous. Why bother performing it if you can't say it? And the choreography in that number proved Jones should not have won.

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#80musical numbers
Posted: 6/11/07 at 11:59am

Mary Poppins came off best, with Curtains right behind it. These are the only 2 that I can see generating ticket sales based on the numbers showcased.

Grey Gardens ... I can just imagine people who know nothing about it saying "WTF was that?"

ACL ... ugh.

Company ... boring boring boring and that annoying vibrato.

110 in the Shade ... decent, but will it sell any tickets?

SA ... completely and totally laughable. Reinforced why I hated this show. What the hell was that crap? Won't help to sell tickets at all. If anything, it will make people avoid the show. Blah Blah Blah (oooo such clever lyrics!)

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#81re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:08pm

A CHORUS LINE  (A) But the stuff outside of Radio City was unneeded and a little tacky. Also announcing all the presenters with headshots and having random people take the headshots away....BORING!

CURTAINS (C) I don't know the show and have not seen it but I was bored. I'm hoping there is a better number than THAT in the show.

110 IN THE SHADE (A) Audra and John were great.  

MARY POPPINS (C) Bored out of my mind.

COMPANY (C) I like that they didn't pick the number from the show that would necessarily sell the most tickets. But considering their attendance the last few months, it might have been wiser to do a trimmed version of the opening and Company. I know they predicted Raul would win and wanted to showcase him but - you need to sell tickets. I thought Raul's performance was over the top and not at all what I have seen in the theatre. It must be very hard to do that song without going through the journey of the show, but I was not impressed last night.

GREY GARDENS (C) Christine seemed bland and lifeless. Going through the motions. And the audience barley responded to anything. Very bland performance. I have seen it done MUCH better.

SPRING AWAKENING (C) What can I say? I still hate the music with a passion! Although I did enjoy watching the IMPRESSIVE choreography!!!! *eye roll*

Fantasia was fine. I would rather see her than Aretha or Mary J.

The telecast overall was BORING. Please let Bravo air the awards. Have them bring back the first 10 awards with the behind the scenes videos. It is a GREAT set up to the award show and gives a beautiful overview of the shows in the season.  

Stop trying to make everything "cool" and appealing to a country full of idiots. Return quality to the Tony Awards telecast please!

PS- If I have to watch one more commercial for that Las Vegas show that does not start until the FALL I'm going to jump out a WINDOW! Updated On: 6/11/07 at 12:08 PM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#82re: Grade the Tony Musical Performances
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:10pm

I think the audience responded to Christine enthusiastically. If only she had been in better health. Still, she's great.

staticradar Profile Photo
staticradar
#83musical numbers
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:11pm

A Chorus Line- B- "One" is getting so old for me, I love the song, but it's over performed. Loved "I Hope I Get It" though

Curtains- A- This is one show I'm interested in seeing, and Debra Monk is just fab.

110 in the Shade- A Audra can do no wrong

Mary Poppins- B- Thought the choreography was nice, but that naked man dancing with the little boy was creepy and I dunno if I wanna see the show after seeing the performance.

Company- A- Raul is amazing, and I've always loved the song.

Grey Gardens- C- I just never could get into Grey Gardens and that is by far the most boring number and Ebersole, is amazing but not last night.

Spring Awakening- A-/B+ This is my favorite show out of the bunch but the lyric changes kinda threw me off and I kinda wish they had chose different songs, but I thought the energy was high and the kids did an awesome job. The cast is just amazing!

Fantasia- B I thought she did an ok job, but I found myself missing LaChanze's performance.

You're always sorry, You're always grateful, You hold her, thinking: "I'm not alone." You're still alone.
-"Sorry-Grateful" Company

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#84musical numbers
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:19pm

Like last year, this was another year where it felt like the shows represented themselves well over all. I didn't think the COMPANY performance would pull in anyone who didn't know the show, but even the snippets from THE PIRATE QUEEN, LEGALLY BLONDE, and LOVEMUSIK looked great.
Broadway Blog: Drop That Name!

#85musical numbers
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:17pm

A Chorus Line- A-

Curtains- A-

110 in the Shade- B+

Mary Poppins- I was making the transition from the living room to my room (my parents wanted to watch The Sopranos) so I didn't see most of this performance. From what I saw: B+

Company- A-

Grey Gardens- B+

Spring Awakening- C

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#86musical numbers
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:30pm

i want Mary Poppins to be on youtube soon!

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#87musical numbers
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:35pm

A Chorus Line- B+ (Good quality, but a tad boring due to the snippets they chose).

Curtains- B (Boring song, hate it).

110 in the Shade- A (the best performance of the night)

Mary Poppins- B+ (again good quality but a but boring)

Company- C- (Raul overacts everything, makes weird faces, his shapes his vowels in the strangest way, and his vibrato is so irritating. Plus they used the original orchestrations, not cool).

Grey Gardens- A- (She was fabulous, but a bit tired).

Jersey Boys- B+ (Really, I don't think they sounded bad at all, it was just somewhat out of place).

Spring Awakening- C (Hated the changes. They looked corny and stupid).

Fantasia - A- (second best of the night next to Audra. I don't even like Fantasia and I still thought she was excellent. Definitely sounded better than LaChanze to me).

Dirty_Rotten_Guy Profile Photo
Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#88musical numbers
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:43pm

I just wanted to say the GREY GARDENS performance came off much much better than I thought it would! As did SPRING AWAKENING. i thought the whole not saying the curses part would be dumb, but it worked out nicely.

A CHORUS LINE: B (just not that interesting, but a good start for the show)

CURTAINS: B- (comes off so much better live)

110 IN THE SHADE: A+ (my absolute favorite performance last night! Audra is incredible, and I cant wait to see 110!)

MARY POPPINS: C+ (just very boring, and kind of out of tune towards the end)

COMPANY: C (kind of suffered like CURTAINS where this song didn't come off well on TV. and as bjh said, he was overacting, and I just didn't care for it without the fellow cast members)

GREY GARDENS: A- (i really enjoyed this one- very funny, great expressions by Christine, though her voice was a bit strained on a few notes)

SPRING AWAKENING: A (i thought it flowed very well, i thought the changes worked for TV, and it was energetic for the most part, except during "Totally F***ed" they seemed kind of...tired, haha)

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)

musicallover2008 Profile Photo
musicallover2008
#89musical numbers
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:45pm

Here is my oppinion having seen none of the shows yet. I am grading on if I now want to see a show and if I enjoyed the performances.

A CHORUS LINE B

CURTAINS A

110 IN THE SHADE A

MARY POPPINS A-

COMPANY B

GREY GARDENS C

SPRING AWAKENING A

JERSEY BOYS C- (Enjoyed the performance but not nearly as much as last year.)

FANTASIA B+

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#90musical numbers
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:08pm

A Chorus Line C+. It was a horrible representation of the show, but the cast did a great job with the dancing. Lot's of energy and integrity.

110 in the Shade A. Audra was phenomenal. That's all that can be said. I didn't think it was as big a showstopper as most people make it out to be. Granted, it was wonderful, but I wasn't a big fan of the staging (disliked the hat bit).

Curtains C. I really dislike Curtains and I really hate that number. Debra Monk did the best she could, and it showed off some of Rob Ashford's choreography, but it was just so boring.

Mary Poppins B+. Ashley Brown was forced, but vocally fine, and Gavin Lee was charming to no end. "Step in Time" was very good.

Company B. Raul gave it the same intensity as he normally gives it. But, without the entire show before it as well as the other actors playing instruments, it just makes no sense. And I don't have that much of a problem with Raul's vibrato (except in the title number) so that wasn't a factor for me. It just seemed anti climatic to show the climax of the show. Without anything building up to it, it was just Raul being intense.

Grey Gardens A-. She was obviously tired and sick but still gave 150%. She's a trouper. I really disliked them doing that song, but Christine really brought down the house when she said "They can get you in East Hampton for wearing red shoes on a Thursday" and also "It's a mean, nasty, Republican town".

Spring Awakening A-. I thought it was a great compilation for a medley. And the producers definitely went all out for the design element. It didn't show any "plot" that the show had, the guys were nervous doing "Bitch of Living", and the "Totally ____ " was lame, but overall it was a fantastic medley that blended well. It's now one of two medleys that I think have ever worked, this and the Falsettos medley in 1992.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

lyntom
#91musical numbers
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:13pm

I agree about Spring Awakening. I think the boys seemed nervous and a bit off. The camera work was horrible during Totally F*%&#. I loved SA and don't think that performance did it justice

TapTapTapioca
#92musical numbers
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:17pm

I miss the days with huge production numbers at the tonys.. this year.. it was like all solos..

Exactly because Jersey Boys, Curtains, A Chorus Line, Spring Awakening, and Mary Poppins were ALL solos!

I shave me Xanadu every morning!

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#93musical numbers
Posted: 6/12/07 at 2:42pm

A Chorus Line- C
They looked bored. The songs they chose are overdone on TV. It was a mistake to stage it outside of Radio City.

110 in the Shade- B
Audra was great and I have not seen the show, though I want to. I think this is one of those songs that works better within the context of the show. They should have used a production number, but I see the need to showcase Audra on her own.

Curtains- B
Good production number and suitable for TV.

Grey Gardens- B+
I adore this show but it works better in the show. I've heard Christine do better, but it still worked.

Company- B-
This moment in the show is one of the most touching ones. I never got the Raul love, but he made this work well in the show. Good performance on the Tonys, but not great. There were few problems and he looked nervous.

Spring Awakening- B+
They did the best job in showcasing the essence of the show. I like the show, but am by no means a fangirl. The changes to the staging/lyrics (especially Totally F*CKed) were unfortunate.

Jersey Boys- D
I never got Jersey Boys, but there were pitch problems and they seemed bored.

Fantasia- D
This song works best in the context of the show and I appreciate it for what it is though I am not a big fan of the overall score of this show. I get why mainstream audiences would like this rendition, but I am a musical theatre purist. I will leave my opinions on Fantasia to myself, but her leaving after the last note was just...odd, as was the overaught crying.

Mary Poppins- B
I saw the show in London but not on Broadway. Step in Time was magical in the theatre, but it came across as dull.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)
Updated On: 6/12/07 at 02:42 PM

Shakespearean Profile Photo
Shakespearean
#94musical numbers
Posted: 6/12/07 at 2:59pm

A CHORUS LINE B+

CURTAINS B

110 IN THE SHADE A

MARY POPPINS A-

COMPANY B

GREY GARDENS B-

SPRING AWAKENING B+

JERSEY BOYS Y?

FANTASIA Wrong Classroom?

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#95musical numbers
Posted: 6/12/07 at 3:08pm

A Chorus Line: A-
Curtains: B-
110: B
Mary Poppins: B-
Company: A+
Grey Gardens: B-
Spring Awakening: C+
Jersey Boys: C
Fantasia: B

Clayford27 Profile Photo
Clayford27
#96musical numbers
Posted: 6/12/07 at 3:17pm

A CHORUS LINE B-

CURTAINS A

110 IN THE SHADE C

MARY POPPINS B

COMPANY A+

GREY GARDENS B-

SPRING AWAKENING A

JERSEY BOYS C

FANTASIA D

There is only one you for all time. Fearlessly be yourself.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#97musical numbers
Posted: 6/13/07 at 11:35am

A Chorus Line- A-

Curtains- B+

110 in the Shade- B/B+

Mary Poppins- A-

Company- B

Grey Gardens- B

Spring Awakening- A-/A

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Producer2 Profile Photo
Producer2
#98musical numbers
Posted: 6/13/07 at 4:55pm

A Chorus Line- B

Curtains- B

110 in the Shade- A

Mary Poppins- B

Company- C

Grey Gardens- A

Spring Awakening- B

Clara's Pony Profile Photo
Clara's Pony
#99musical numbers
Posted: 6/14/07 at 5:26am

A Chorus Line - A/B

Curtains - B/C, boring

110 in the Shade - A

Mary Poppins - B

Company - A, I'm sure he didn't intend the top G sharp to come out like that though

Grey Gardens - should have been A but they chose the wrong song and poor Christine clearly wasn't feeling herself.

Spring Awakening - B

Why, hello Margaret! Yes darling, half past five. Well, everyone, simply le tout Park Avenue and la creme de Hyannis! Well, the press table's going to be awfully crowded... but if you don't mind sharing a folding chair with Harper's Bazaar... Sing? Me? Heavens no, it's Edie's day, not mine... Although people can be so insistent, and I hate to disappoint. Twist my arm, blackmail me, threaten my very life, and who knows? You might get a verse of something...

Videos