pixeltracker

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews- Page 5

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#100'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/21/24 at 10:19pm

JSquared2 said: "KevinKlawitter said: "blaxx said: "BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Wagner Johnson are enhancing with an eye towards Circle In The Square in the Spring"

Best revival of a musical? Yaaaas queen!
"

Given how hit or mess London transfers have been with critics as of late, I'd say that this would be tied neck-and-neck withGypsyas frontrunners for Best Musical Revival. Maybe even ahead of Gypsyright now since we don't know the supporting cast yet.
"

SUNSET BLVD. would like a word...

"

If the critics continue their resentment for London transfers, I'd expect that Sunset will do even worse than Cabaret in the review department.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#101'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/21/24 at 10:37pm

I just want to shout out Shereen Pimentel who has never been bad in anything I've seen her in and has such impeccable control of her vocal instrument as both a legit soprano and a belter AND can dance!

Feels inevitable that someday she will play Audra's daughter or mini-me (but she's probably not a Louise).

Updated On: 6/21/24 at 10:37 PM

terrilovesNY
#102'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/21/24 at 10:40pm

TaffyDavenport said: "FYI, code QUEERCATS works for 20% off. Discount is reflected in cart. Once again, don't be afraid of lower balcony P 241 and 242, $68 seats marked partial view. Pic from P 242 is in my postabove, and I had zero complaints about the view."

Has anyone had luck with this code today? I’m trying to purchase tickets and I’m getting “we do not recognize that promo code” message. Or Does it only apply to certain seats?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#103'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 12:49am

I hate CATS with a burning passion but this was EXTRAORDINARY. The musical finally makes sense (mostly) and was the most fun you could have seeing a show. This should be the only way it’s ever done from now on. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#104'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 1:56am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I just want to shout out Shereen Pimentel who has never been bad in anything I've seen her in and has such impeccable control of her vocal instrument as both a legit soprano and a belter AND can dance!

Feels inevitable that someday she will playAudra's daughter or mini-me (but she's probably not a Louise).
"

She's amazing and I do think she'd be a great Louise!

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#105'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 2:07am

terrilovesNY said: "TaffyDavenport said: "FYI, code QUEERCATS works for 20% off. Discount is reflected in cart. Once again, don't be afraid of lower balcony P 241 and 242, $68 seats marked partial view. Pic from P 242 is in my postabove, and I had zero complaints about the view."

Has anyone had luck with this code today? I’m trying to purchase tickets and I’m getting “we do not recognize that promo code” message. Or Does it only apply to certain seats?
"

I used it on Friday, but looks like it’s been deactivated.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#106'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 2:57am

The critics are so annoying, they are apologizing for liking Cats.  They literally only speak to musical theatre snobs/ Sondheim lovers.  Just shows how out of touch they are with the broader community. I grew up watching the first Cats film on repeat, it was my Disney, so I have always loved it. 

Updated On: 6/22/24 at 02:57 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#107'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 4:31am

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I take being a theatre snob / sondheim lover as a compliment not an insult? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#108'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 7:32am

binau said: "I don't know what's wrong with me, but I take being a theatre snob / sondheim lover as a compliment not an insult?"

Same. 

chrishuyen
#109'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 9:45am

It is kind of annoying how much the "Cats is bad" discourse has grown in the past few years for the general public who may have not even seen Cats (though of course it wasn't helped by the movie), but if anything I find it more impressive that those who hated Cats to begin with were able to enjoy the show so much. As for musical theater snobs, I feel like that's practically in the job description of being a critic ;) 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#110'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 10:55am

Broadway Flash said: "The critics are so annoying, they are apologizing for liking Cats. They literally only speak to musical theatre snobs/ Sondheim lovers."

I sometimes wonder if "professional" critics are required to sign a pledge to be Sondheim sycophants and relentlessly disparage anything ALW writes.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#111'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 11:06am

Sondheim had plenty of critical flops and Webber has had plenty of critical praise. There is no agenda here, except in the fevered minds of fans who can look at the most popularly successful theatre composer of all time and still somehow see an underdog because he doesn't get rubber stamped by critics.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 6/22/24 at 11:06 AM

SisterGeorge
#112'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 12:51pm

Kad said: "Green seemed more interested in criticizing Cats the show than discussing much of this production. He barely even touches on the performances."

Very lazy review. It reads like he could have written a lot of it weeks--or years--ago.

Sister George

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#113'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 2:32pm

Lower balcony P 214. It looks like the $68 seats are sold out for the rest of the run, so this seat would be one of what is currently the cheapest price point (green seats on the PAC website).

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews

Stagestrucklad2
#114'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 5:30pm

Just back from the matinee, and still reeling at how fabulous it is. It’s still Cats, but the creative team has completely transformed the show for the better. The audience went wild.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#115'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 5:39pm

Oh, how I wish my dear friend and mentor Willi Ninja were alive to see this. I am sure he's smiling down from the heavens! 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#116'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 6:47pm

He is smiling from heaven. Going in a few days with our mutual friend Barry visiting from Israel. It’ll be so special.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#117'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 7:10pm

I REALLY don’t think this should transfer. Why not have an extended run downtown? The space works perfectly. 

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#118'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 7:22pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "I REALLY don’t think this should transfer. Why not have an extended run downtown? The space works perfectly."

Because it's part of a season and other shows need the venue.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#119'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 7:24pm

Im aware. But there’s plenty of flex off Broadway spaces to have an extended run at. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#120'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 9:36pm

chrishuyen said: "It is kind of annoying how much the "Cats is bad" discourse has grown in the past few yearsfor the general public who may have not even seen Cats(though of course it wasn't helped by the movie), but if anything I find it more impressive that those who hated Cats to begin with were able to enjoy the show so much. As for musical theater snobs, I feel like that's practically in the job description of being a critic ;)"

The "I hate Cats" is a trend that is fashionable to follow, yet no one can pinpoint why their nasty response or when in theater history it began.

It definitely wasn't there when it won all the Tonys, critical praise and it was impossible to get a ticket. Or though its record breaking run. It's definitely aposteriori and I've always been curious as to who was so bored to start the trashing.

MezzA101
Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#122'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/22/24 at 11:14pm

PAC hasn’t announced any of their 2024-2025 season yet, have they? Certainly, something is going to need this space by Fall, but I wonder if there is room for more extension weeks to be added on this summer, if the demand is there. I personally thought it was sensational and hope to find time for a return trip.

SisterGeorge
#123'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/23/24 at 1:47pm

blaxx said: "chrishuyen said: "It is kind of annoying how much the "Cats is bad" discourse has grown in the past few yearsfor the general public who may have not even seen Cats(though of course it wasn't helped by the movie), but if anything I find it more impressive that those who hated Cats to begin with were able to enjoy the show so much. As for musical theater snobs, I feel like that's practically in the job description of being a critic ;)"

The "I hate Cats" is a trend that is fashionable to follow, yet no one can pinpoint why their nasty responseor when in theater history it began.

It definitely wasn't there when it won all the Tonys, critical praise and it was impossible to get a ticket. Or though its record breaking run. It's definitely aposteriori and I've always been curious as to who was so bored to start the trashing.
"

2 theories: Cats was a brilliantly original, ground-breaking musical, but I suspect many of the companies that toured incessantly years after it opened didn't do the show any favors. Also, people started resenting the '80s British takeover of what had once been almost exclusively an American art form. 

I did find interesting in the recent (NYTimes?) article about this year's Tony nominees, how many of them mentioned that seeing Cats as a kid is what made them fall in love and/or become obsessed with theater (Phantom too). So there is that.

Sister George

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#124'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
Posted: 6/23/24 at 3:18pm

Cats had also become a punchline in many TV shows by the late 90s and early 2000s to exemplify what a "musical" is. Off the top of my head Hey Arnold, The Simpsons, Family Guy. 

https://catsmusical.fandom.com/wiki/References_in_Pop_Culture

Videos