pixeltracker

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 54

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

perfectpenguin
#1325Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/23/23 at 12:22pm

dramamama611 said: "I see people wearing masks every single day. It is no more taboo than when we were in the middle of it all."

I see more masks in NYC but locally I’ve seen one maybe once a month. No one’s wearing masks anymore.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#1326Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/23/23 at 1:19pm

$79 no-fee tickets in TodayTix for side front mezz tonight. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#1327Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/23/23 at 2:01pm

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway

With this design for the tote bag and mug, I'm drawing a blank on what the object at the bottom (between the birdcage and the pie) is.  Does anyone have a guess?

Edit: I thought maybe it was the block for the gavel, but those items are spaced farther apart on the mug.

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all
Updated On: 8/23/23 at 02:01 PM

Wayman_Wong
#1328Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/23/23 at 2:32pm

''Does anyone have a guess?''

It looks like a razor blade to me. 

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#1329Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/23/23 at 2:49pm

Wayman_Wong said: "''Does anyone have a guess?''

"

Maybe a modern-day one, but it would be too modern to fit with the other items in this design.

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

Boq101
#1330Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/23/23 at 4:19pm

James2 said: "Wayman_Wong said: "''Does anyone have a guess?''

"

Maybe a modern-day one, but it would be too modern to fit with the other items in this design.
"

That's because it's a bad design. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#1331Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/23/23 at 5:01pm

New social media ad with Jeanna as Lovett:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwTJuf7hVAu/

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1332Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/23/23 at 6:10pm

FYI, Daniel Yearwood (Anthony) is out with COVID as well. 4 swings were on this afternoon.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#1333Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/23/23 at 7:58pm

Updated On: 8/24/23 at 07:58 PM

Falsettolands
#1334Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/23/23 at 9:24pm

Caught the show this afternoon.

Respect to those who have enjoyed what this revival has done with the show. Count me in the crowd that found the direction and choreography to be so incredibly bland and without any bite, thrill, or sense of arc.

De Waal is doing her best despite the fact that this Lovett's track has been tailored for Ashford's comedic chops and sensibilities. I have no doubt there is a great Lovett in De Waals arsenal- but she's stuck doing physical bits and moments that I think do not fit what she's suited best for. I'd like to see her in another production of this show where she has the opportunity to create the track with the director.

Christopher completely blew me away. What a performance. I haven't seen Groban onstage in anything so I can't compare the two, but Christopher was altogether terrifying with voice in great form and some really interesting and subtle choices. Epiphany really woke the audience up.

Found this production to simply be downright dull and without character- but that's just me. I'm glad to see others are fond of it.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#1335Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/23/23 at 11:50pm

Tonight was a real treat. Having seen this production twice now with both Groban and Ashford, it was so fascinating to see two new performers take the stage. 

Nicholas Christopher is a killer Sweeney (no pun intended). He evokes the menacing presence that was lacking with Groban. His “Epiphany” stopped the show cold. Jeanna De Waal’s Mrs. Lovett is much more subdued and controlled than Ashford’s Lovett. De Waal is less broad with the comedy, but is still very funny. She just doesn’t do as much mugging as Ashford did. Her voice is absolutely stunning.

The both had great chemistry and played well off each other. I would akin tonight’s performance to the experience I had seeing Donna Murphy go on for Bette in Hello, Dolly!… There’s still a great, albeit different, energy in the audience. You still get a solid production of a great show, just without the huge “star wattage”. In a way, this is refreshing. While it’s always fun to see big stars on Broadway, sometimes the show itself takes a backseat to the lead star.

I still have my plethora of issues with this production ranging from the borderline nonexistent direction to the bizarre choreography and finally to the abysmal sound design. However, it’s one of Sondheim’s greatest, so even an imperfect production is still enjoyable.

Anyways, all in all, a great night of theatre. Super glad I got the chance to see both of these insanely talented performers take the stage together!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1336Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/25/23 at 11:57pm

Saw Jeanna tonight and thought she was wonderful! As mentioned above she’s not as broad with the comedy but still was extremely funny. Definitely worth checking her out if she’s on again. 
I had wondered if Groban would take it easy vocally tonight since it was his first show back but honestly, and this was my 8th time seeing it, he’s never sounded better and in stronger voice than I heard him tonight. Just a fantastic evening all around. 

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#1337Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/26/23 at 9:17am

As a general Broadway PSA, I want to note on this thread regarding BWW's "History of Sweeney Todd" piece that the tooth pulling sequence was not cut from the original Broadway production during previews. I can't say for sure if it stayed in for the entire Broadway run, but I definitely saw it when I saw the original production about two months after opening. I remember the physical comedy of it quite vividly, including Ken Jennings writhing in the chair. Pirelli's "Now signorini, signori" patter was the section of the contest that was cut in previews. 

I also don't think the factory whistle was at the lip of the stage - I think it was in the wings somewhere with the strange machinery as a part of that staggering set, but I can't vouch for exactly where it was. It wasn't obvious, because after getting scared out of my wits by it, I tried to anticipate when it would go off next. As loud as it is on the cast recording, it's no comparison to intensity of it in the theatre. 

History of Sweeney Todd

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1338Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/26/23 at 1:31pm

They announced just now that Annaleigh will still be out tomorrow, so you have another chance to see Jeanna if you want. 

singer234
#1339Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/27/23 at 8:28am

I was surprised at the amount of tickets available for yesterday’s matinee with Jeanna and Josh, considering only Annaleigh was out. They offered me $49 rear mezz rush at the box office, and also the orch seats for $99. Got an amazing center orchestra seat for that price. Is Annaleigh that big of a draw, or did people assume Josh may still be out with Covid?

yyys
#1340Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/27/23 at 8:31am

Annaleigh is a draw too.

J-Wo
#1341Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/27/23 at 6:20pm

I’ll be in town for Sep 8-9. From reading the last few pages, sounds like good seats are available for $99 directly from the box office the day of performance, is that right? Do they discount it right before showtime, or throughout the day?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#1342Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/28/23 at 7:34am

J-Wo said: "I’ll be in town for Sep 8-9. From reading the last few pages, sounds like good seats are available for $99 directly from the box office the day of performance, is that right? Do they discount it right before showtime, or throughout the day?"

I could be wrong, but I think those $99 seats are only offered when one of the stars is out?

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

yyys
#1343Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/28/23 at 8:44am

They do sell $99 when the box office opens when both leads are in (you have to be in line before 10 am or 12 noon Sundays).

They also sell discounted orchestra for $149 (got one in Orch row O), normally $249. It seems like they have their own inventory. 

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#1344Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/28/23 at 8:48am

Smaxie said: "As a general Broadway PSA, I want to note on this thread regarding BWW's "History of Sweeney Todd" piece that the tooth pulling sequence was not cut from the original Broadway production during previews. I can't say for sure if it stayed in for the entire Broadway run, but I definitely saw it when I saw the original production about two months after opening. I remember the physical comedy of it quite vividly, including Ken Jennings writhing in the chair. Pirelli's "Now signorini, signori" patter was the section of the contest that was cut in previews.

I think you're right. While reading the article, I clicked on one of the links and was taken to the 1980 documentary made about the UK premiere, which I forgot existed but of which I had apparently already watched 30 minutes. Anyhow, there is much made in rehearsal about the cutting of the tooth pulling sequence, with the actor playing Pirelli threatening to quit. (Prince's cool temper about it was fascinating: "All right, well after I decided tonight if I'm going to cut it or not, you can tell us tomorrow if you want to go or not."Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway It's possible they cut it on Bway after the UK production? Or at least on the tour sounds likely.

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#1345Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/28/23 at 11:12am

Funny, but seeing a “normal”, schtick-free actress doing the same schtick-crazy track just points out how stupid the schtick is. The direction in this show is shameless on one hand and mashed potatoes on the other.  And it really might be nice if we could understand all of Sondheim’s lyrics rather than fighting the bad performer diction and strange sound design. 

jimmycurry01
#1346Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/28/23 at 9:53pm

Smaxie said: "As a general Broadway PSA, I want to note on this thread regarding BWW's "History of Sweeney Todd" piece that the tooth pulling sequence was not cut from the original Broadway production during previews. I can't say for sure if it stayed in for the entire Broadway run, but I definitely saw it when I saw the original production about two months after opening. I remember the physical comedy of it quite vividly, including Ken Jennings writhing in the chair. Pirelli's "Now signorini, signori" patter was the section of the contest that was cut in previews.

I also don't think the factory whistle was at the lip of the stage - I think it was in the wings somewhere with the strange machinery as a part of that staggering set, but I can't vouch for exactly where it was. It wasn't obvious, because after getting scared out of my wits by it, I tried to anticipate when it would go off next. As loud as it is on the cast recording, it's no comparison to intensity of it in the theatre.

History of Sweeney Todd
"

Very interesting, as Sondheim insinuates that both the tooth-pulling sequence and The Judge's Johanna were cut during previews after he and Wheeler noticed a "sag" in the plot. He writes about this decision in Finishing the Hat and makes it sound as if the decision to cut both happened simultaneously. It seems odd to have made the cut after the show was frozen.

BCfitasafiddle
#1347Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/28/23 at 10:21pm

I'm anxious for Annaleigh to get back so I can try their new rush tickets. I imagine when both stars are in they will be difficult to obtain.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#1348Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/29/23 at 12:01am

I am not sure if we just got incredibly lucky, but my friend stopped at the box office a few weeks ago inquiring about Broadway Week tickets and was told they were sold old. However, he said “since you came down here” he would get him a pair of tickets. $99, side orchestra row K for next week. Excited to finally see it but it was bizarre he just gave them to us. And I don’t believe anyone is scheduled to be out.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#1349Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 8/29/23 at 5:40am

>Very interesting, as Sondheim insinuates that both the tooth-pulling sequence and The Judge's Johanna were cut during previews after he and Wheeler noticed a "sag" in the plot. He writes about this decision in Finishing the Hat and makes it sound as if the decision to cut both happened simultaneously. It seems odd to have made the cut after the show was frozen.<

Sondheim's memory does get unreliable in some spots. The Judge's "Johanna" was cut very early in previews, I think perhaps even after the first preview. In an evening of shocks, the Judge whipping himself to an orgasm was perhaps a step too far. However, the tooth-pulling scene remained in. If you search, there is a YouTube video of the original Broadway production. Victor Garber was the first of the principals to leave the cast and he was replaced by Cris Groenendaal. Groenendaal is in this video (either as understudy or permanent replacement, opposite understudy/eventual Johanna replacement Betsy Joslyn), and the tooth-pulling scene is in, so it had to have been filmed sometime after opening. There is also a full audio of opening night, and the tooth-pulling scene is in. 

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
Updated On: 8/29/23 at 05:40 AM

Videos